[FAQ] How many sprays of fragrance should I wear?

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
  • Admin
These [FAQ] threads are great!

Please 'sticky' them. :)

If I sticky all the ones I plan to do, there will be a page of stickies... Instead I'm going to do one sticky which links to them all. I'll probably end up putting the actual [faq] threads in a separate [faq] forum.

dw1243

May 16, 2009
This is a question I know many people have, but where should I apply cologne, I have had people tell me to walk into a mist of it or apply it to pulse points. Right now I am doing the latter. I just need a definitive answer on which method lasts the longest and projects the most.

Thank you :):D

Heartwood

Jan 15, 2007
I think projection and longevity have more to do with the formulation of the scent than the way it's applied, but poor application can definitely bring these down. If you have some chest hair, you should definitely spray to the chest and the back of your neck for longevity. Hair holds scent really well and your body heat at these warm points will help it project more. I think pulse points (wrists) are a myth. Extremities (hands/wrists) are often cooler than the trunk and head area because the body focuses more on keeping the vital organs warm or at the right temperature.

evogel

Jan 23, 2003
For years I have disagreed with the pulse points theory. AOG, I certainly agree 100% with you.
Hair bearing areas are the best as well as chest, neck and the hair, though I find that scent can change a bit differently in my(scalp) hair. Extremities are definitely always cooler, the more distal, (away from the trunk), the cooler. For scents that struggle with longevity, getting some on clothing by putting on your shirt/top before it dries works great and even direct application to clothing is great if you are careful with the fabric.
The misting/walk through thingie just escapes me. Why bother? I've never come across any fragrance that was too strong for an application to the skin.

mysteriousmongoose

Oct 4, 2006
I use a single spray to the nape of the neck; this is both long-lasting and discreet (i.e. does not grab by the throat those who happen to be way outside my personal space). Particularly when there are lot of people wearing fragrance in a single space, excess quickly turns headachy.

I wouldn't worry about projection; heavy sillage can easily come across in the same way as unnecessarily loud talking (or, when it is extreme, it can be like being slapped across the eyes): It suggests a lack of consideration or confidence, and can seem gauche. Often, when a fragrance seems to have faded, it is simply because your nose has ceased to be aware of it, but the very probably scent still lingers.

chipper

May 12, 2009
I usually spray to chest and neck. I dont walk into mist....tried it and forgot to close my eyes...wow that burned!

phyfay

Jul 10, 2011
I spray at my chest and wrists. If out on town or something, also on neck and behind the knees. (Depends on the strength.) When having a concert, I always wait afterwards with perfume, just in case the other singers would have a reaction to it. (My version of "day at the office.")

butterblades

Jun 28, 2012
Ahhh... the old how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop. 1-10, depends on the fragrance. I can use 1 spray of Poivre and 8 of Little Italy.

Note: This post was imported from the Huddler forum software, and may have missing images or strange formatting. More info here.

DavidCopeland

May 17, 2013
I spray at my chest and wrists. If out on town or something, also on neck and behind the knees. (Depends on the strength.) When having a concert, I always wait afterwards with perfume, just in case the other singers would have a reaction to it. (My version of "day at the office.")
Never thought about that. My routine has been behind the ears.

David

Note: This post was imported from the Huddler forum software, and may have missing images or strange formatting. More info here.

ChrisCoo

Aug 15, 2010
I must admit that out of habit I spray on the wrists and neck.

The number of sprays I use depends on the strength of the fragrance. For perfume I spray one wrist, then rub that onto the other wrist. Then one spray on the neck.

For EDP I spray a couple of sprays more.

For EDT my OH once asked me if I wanted him to plumb the bottle into the shower :grin:

Maggie_Everk112

Apr 5, 2013
I like 2 sprays--3 at most. For women, I recommend spraying the fragrance in your hair--it last longer that way. Halle Barry sprays it in between her thighs haha--that is weird.

Bal a Versailles

Feb 15, 2012
Wearing Donna Karan Gold, finding the parfum to be a challenge. I only spray the small of my back, once. Less is more with that one. The only thing I can compare it to is Giorgio B H. Kelly Caleche is nice in my hair.

NineInchNell

Feb 27, 2013
Wearing Cristalle today with sprays on both wrists, neck, back, behind knees. I use the Cristalle lotion on hands and legs

noirtomford

Jul 10, 2013
I always spray two in my neck one in the chess and one each arm

nfn1983

Nov 8, 2008
way variable for me.

depending on weather, nature and potency of the scent, location, event and even my mood!

but overall generally not less than 4!

Passionscent

Apr 8, 2013
I, too, have questions concerning the best placement of scent for optimal results. I used to think that the wrists were good because of the pulse, thinking it would be warmer thereby mKing the fragrance rise. However, i have realized that that doesn't happen. I have had success with spraying fragrance in my cleavage and upper chest, nape of my neck, in my hair and on my clothes. Someone posted earlier that the trunk of the body is best because the body keeps that region warm which makes sense to me. I wear Angel which seems to disappear on me, at least i think it does. I cant smell it on myself any more unless i walk against a breeze and the. It is wonderful. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

magnus611

Jul 16, 2013
It depends if you just do the upper region or like others spray your rear and crotch area..Lol
Brothers and sisters like done other member said its empirical and circumstantial, is the scent , weak, strong , do you wanna go Nuclear and smack every one around you or rather go stealth and have them smell you when they encroach your air space and take a waft of the delicacy that's upon you.

Latest News