experimental smell lab with children

Hummuserectus

Jul 9, 2022
Dear Community

I am part of a non-profit project in which we are planning an experimental smell lab together with children and young people (7-15 years).
Within the framework of Mini Munich - a play city where children can work, earn money, do politics or start their own business - we want to spend three weeks creating different scents, smelling fragrances and stench, tinkering with bottles and packaging and creating a smell library or archive.

We have compiled this list of basic fragrances that we would like to use. Does anyone know in what literature or other source we could find formulas for this or can anyone think of formulas for some of the basenotes?

Aldehydes C10
Aldehydes C14
Aldehydes C18
Ambroxane
Benzyl Salicilate
Calone
Cashmeran
Cis 3 Hexenol
Citral
Coumarin
Damascone alpha
Dihydromyrcenol
Dorinia SA
Ethyl Maltol
Ethylene Brassilate
Galaxolide
Geraniol
Hedione
Heliotropex
Hydroxycitronellal
Indole
Ionone Alpha
Iso E Super
Linalool
Methyl Grapefruit
Mayol
Norlimbanol
Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol
Rasperry Ketone
Safraleine
Santaliff
Triplal
Vanillin
Veramoss
Amyris EO
Basil EO
Bergamot EO
Black Pepper EO
Birch Tar EO
Cardamom EO
Cassia Bark EO
Cedarwood EO
Chamomile CO2
Clove Bud EO
Cumin EO
Eucalyptus EO
Fennel sweet EO
Frankincense EO
Galbanum EO
Ginger EO
Grapefruit EO
Jasmine Absloue
Juniper Berry EO
Labdanum Absolue
Lavandin EO
Lemon EO
Lemongrass EO
Lime EO
Nutmeg EO
Orange sweet EO
Patchouli EO
Peppermint EO
Rosemary EO
Sage EO
Vetiver EO
Ylang Ylang EO

We would also like to capture the scent of the children's city that takes place at a former horse race track and weaves together smells of ice cream, plastic tarps and horse stalls.
It would also be exciting to trace and capture the smells of individual businesses such as the bank (banknotes), the town hall (filing cabinet), the theater, bakery (bread) and the newspaper.
Would anyone have an idea for more concrete molecules, flavors or formulas (also as a basis to build on)?

That would really be absolutely fantastic! :)
Thanks so much in advance.

* side note: we are still looking for a person who would like to work with us within this laboratory.
Would be in Munich in the first three weeks of August and is well paid. :)

Kind regards from Munich & Vienna
Natalia

polysom

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 4, 2021
OH, what a great idea. I would have loved that as a kid. Unfortunately, I don't have any formulation, but as a chemist I would like to address the health and safety aspect. Especially when working with children. Aroma chemicals are also, as the name says, chemicals. Children tend to smell on the bottle, which is not a good idea with some of these substances. Especially the aldehydes you mentioned are very acrid to the nose. That's something to keep in mind. So, now people can come up with recipe suggestions.

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
Hallo Natalia, servas! I love the idea, good luck carrying it out.

I believe you should concentrate on introducing the children to natural oils, and perhaps some premade perfume bases (from the big perfume houses like Firmenich, etc.) trying to create blends to match places, might be too ambitious unless you have someone with at least a little bit of experience.

That being said, anything vanilla-like can be suitable for an ice cream shop, Veratraldehyde is an excellent start. Perhaps together with Raspberry Ketone.

For banknotes, the most crucial ingredient will be Isobutyl Quinoline (I have a simple formula here, but it's more in the perfume direction than just the banknotes themselves).

For the horse stalls, as Mike mentioned, anything Paracresyl, perhaps even Animalis 1745-03 from Symarome. Together with some leather, maybe Suederal from IFF.

Viel Erfolg!

mnitabach

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 13, 2020
Hallo Natalia, servas! I love the idea, good luck carrying it out.

I believe you should concentrate on introducing the children to natural oils, and perhaps some premade perfume bases (from the big perfume houses like Firmenich, etc.) trying to create blends to match places, might be too ambitious unless you have someone with at least a little bit of experience.

That being said, anything vanilla-like can be suitable for an ice cream shop, Veratraldehyde is an excellent start. Perhaps together with Raspberry Ketone.

For banknotes, the most crucial ingredient will be Isobutyl Quinoline (I have a simple formula here, but it's more in the perfume direction than just the banknotes themselves).

For the horse stalls, as Mike mentioned, anything Paracresyl, perhaps even Animalis 1745-03 from Symarome. Together with some leather, maybe Suederal from IFF.

Viel Erfolg!
My intuition is that little children will like your Pink Champagne composition more than One Million Euros... 😹 😹 😹

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
My intuition is that little children will like your Pink Champagne composition more than One Million Euros... 😹 😹 😹
You are probably right :) I am not sure if IBQ is something I will present to children as a single molecule.

Before that, I would probably try Vanillin (or Veratraldehyde), Ethyl Maltol (or Maltol), Cis-3-Hexenyl Acetate (or cis-3-Hexenol), Raspberry Ketone, Benzyl Propionate, Benzaldehyde, gamma-Nonalactone (Aldehyde C-18), Anethole, Cinnamic Aldehyde, Eugenol, Coumarin, Calone, Helional, Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, Dihydromyrcenol. And there are probably a few more good candidates.

xii

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 9, 2015
The list is OK but methyl ionone or related would make it even more OK. Nonetheless, it won’t be easy to find a handful of meaningful formulas while restricted to these ingredients and without major adjustments.

Hinting on ice cream, horses or even banknotes should be doable. Pie too. Freshly baked bread is a lot trickier though. Even with proper materials, pyrazines, sulfurol, hops, etc. it would be a tantalising task.

mnitabach

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 13, 2020
All kidding aside, I think it is probably a vastly better idea to have the children smell & mix pre-made "note" accords or naturals, not single molecules. It takes a lot of practice to train your brain to make sense of smelling single molecules, but none to smell "rose" or "orange" or "cedar".

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
All kidding aside, I think it is probably a vastly better idea to have the children smell & mix pre-made "note" accords or naturals, not single molecules. It takes a lot of practice to train your brain to make sense of smelling single molecules, but none to smell "rose" or "orange" or "cedar".
I agree. I wrote it in my original message. Still, just as an exercise, if we choose this path, I think the ones I mentioned are those that can be more easily recognized and interesting for children.

mnitabach

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 13, 2020
I agree. I wrote it in my original message. Still, just as an exercise, if we choose this path, I think the ones I mentioned are those that can be more easily recognized and interesting for children.
I think children would actually find IBQ much more interesting to smell than hydroxycitronellal, TBH.

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
It is a great idea
i love children and I love perfumery
i think you need a person versed in this leading and to revamp the concept
The aroma chemicals are not that easy tamed- nor does our brains necessarily make the connection - and I fear children with their very sensitive noses will smell things that we as adults cannot conceive. There is the added issue that people smell and recognize those smells differently- so rather than banding them together, some could feel left out
easier experiments would be to show how little of some substances are needed to recognize the smell( rose, Jasmine, geosmin)
how we perceive things as sweet when there is no sugar present( maltol,vanilla)
how some molecules smell of horse, leather and might smell yucky ( to them) but when added to other things
i am sure there are many more experiments that could show both how their noses works and how different molecules/ naturals work
But making perfume , even simple perfume is first of all , not perceived the same by everyone sunless done by someone very talented
second the children cannot do it themselves- it won’t work as a mass classroom-it is too dependent on precision-and these are chemicals, even the naturals -
third - even if you managed to get a few formulas together- it wouldn’t occupy them for the time you are talking about

perhaps having someone distill somethings- lavender has a great yield, pine ditto
Frankincense might work too
having someone have the different isolates of say, lavender or rose- and putting them back together to make the whole smell again ( this wouldn’t take extreme talent- but it would take talent- mastering smell is no joke)
I think your idea is well intentioned- but I think it is very ambitious without a perfumer-
you wouldn’t let children into a kitchen w/o recipes they could follow foolproof and expect a serious result - in order , in a kitchen , to get predictable results, with children , would require serious planning and you would have to proof test a few times, dry runs-
kitchen is much much easier than perfume, much much easier than aroma chemicals
if I were you - I would reach out to real perfumbers, people with businesses and try to get them interested- they have apprentices, they know who is good for a job like this- maybe even some manufacturers like iff , or syrmise they too would know
it is a great idea- just too off the cuff I believe

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .