Ex Idolo

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I have been informed by Matt at Ex Idolo that he has an offering arriving this week.

The fragrance will be the second from Ex Idolo and is a blend of sweet pipe tobacco, boozy notes, amber, dark woods and Omani

frankincense. Name assigned "Ryder"

I'm in, being a great fan of Thirty Three.

purecaramel

Last edited:

zeniba

Jul 15, 2014
I know you can't judge a perfume by a list of notes but that is like the quinessential generic niche fragrance notes list.

Last edited:

zeniba

Jul 15, 2014
Boozy tobacco smoky ambery?
Bro-tastic just brostastic

As I already said, I know I can't judge a perfume based on a notes list but if I see boozy and tobacco, I'm like ''no''. The image I get is kind of bro-ish now that I think about it. I do like Ambre Russe, though...but that predated the "boozy! tobacco! niche! high-end!'' phase of perfume by about a decade.

I've never tried Thirty Three but I'm looking at it now, and maybe I should.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Now here's a catalog to investigate: two perfumes. The stormy reception for their second offering; the way they're arousing skepticism with the listed notes, I'm getting awfully curious to smell these two.

Master-Classter

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 14, 2009
While the notes sound a little generic, pick any accord and you can find both generic and masterful executions of it, so based on their first release, I'm not too worried. Will wait to get my nose on this one!

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
Thirty Three is pretty much the only rose / oud combo that I really like and feel that I can actually wear. And rose / oud had been done to death so many times. So I'm looking forward to testing the second one.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I received my sample today... I expected a lot of tobacco, but instead I get a lovely smoldering amber, cedar wood and incense driven composition with just a hint of sweetness. The composition also has what can best be described as a "cola" aspect. This adds a bit of smoothness to the woody incense, and the whole thing works. Performance and the late dry-down still remain to be seen, but so far Ryder is a big winner, IMO.

Last edited:

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I received my sample today... I expected a lot of tobacco, but instead I get a lovely smoldering amber, cedar wood and incense driven composition with just a hint of sweetness. The composition also has what can best be described as a "cola" aspect. This adds a bit of smoothness to the woody incense, and the whole thing works. Performance and the late dry-down still remain to be seen, but so far Ryder is a big winner, IMO.

Samples in the mail. Thanks for the preview. Does it present as Tube or Solid State?

Nate_G

Jul 25, 2015
Hey everyone where are you buying this from? I can't wait to get hold of a bottle after trying Thirty Three and reading the note list.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Definitely tube. :)

Arrival at lunch today! Oh yes! Mullards for the Warmth, Tung Sols for the articulation.

Ryder, for me opens with a Boozy, Honey Mead. The next thing that struck me was a familiarity. Took me a while to pinpoint. This, for me, is Egoiste without the Coriander and fruit! I'm really beginning to like this!!

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
Arrival at lunch today! Oh yes! Mullards for the Warmth, Tung Sols for the articulation.

Ryder, for me opens with a Boozy, Honey Mead. The next thing that struck me was a familiarity. Took me a while to pinpoint. This, for me, is Egoiste without the Coriander and fruit! I'm really beginning to like this!!

Whoa. This sounds awesome.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
Not as good as 33. I liked Ryder, but not enough to buy a bottle or decant. My sample was enough for me. There's nothing really at all to dislike just a little lackluster for my tastes.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
My first response to this was:

This is Buckwheat Honey, then Mead!

As the base of the fragrance lays down on my skin, the perfume becomes familiar.

I have spent the day, in the Pastry shop, of my employer, working with, superb quality Butter, Vanilla, Winter Fruit, Cognac, Honey, Molasses. It is Christmas.

It is a scent that is at once, slightly cloying, enormously comforting, vaguely alcoholic.

This subsides and what arises, is a counterpoint to the, wet, moist, sugary, fattiness.

Whispers of a ,Non ISO E Super, Wood and a beaming sliver of Frankincense, heighten, incise the honeyed richness.

I fail to identify the alleged the Jasmine, so would categorize this fragrance as Masculine, not Unisex in intent.

It's status, in relation to it's older brother.

Not as good?

Well, I would declare, it is different.

What it shares, is apparent, to me.

A common poetry, study, if you will, of a Craftsman.

Bottleworthy?

Me.

Yep.

Last edited:

Latest News