Etro's "Vetiver" - discontinued?

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
Hello everyone!

Etro's "Vetiver" seems to be suspiciously - and very disturbingly - missing from its site and the stores for a very long time now. This is my all-time favorite Vetiver fragrance, and I dread the thought that it might be discontinued. Any more specific and reliable information on this issue will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Looters-delight

incredibly conscientious!
Basenotes Plus
Dec 1, 2020
Well, the fragrance was already discontinued in 2018.
This may also be due to the peculiarity that it is here was an EAU DE COLOGNE. See my photo below

Etro - Vetiver.JPG

Etro no longer produces fragrances that were once in the sales program in the fragrance version "Eau de Cologne".
However, there was later a "Vetiver Eau de Toilette version". But it doesn't seem to be in production anymore either.
Both versions can still be found on ebay! Shipping from Italy!
I miss it too, as a vetiver fan, because it was really special!

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
Well, the fragrance was already discontinued in 2018.
This may also be due to the peculiarity that it is here was an EAU DE COLOGNE. See my photo below

View attachment 255605
IMG_20220715_110040.jpg
Etro no longer produces fragrances that were once in the sales program in the fragrance version "Eau de Cologne".
I miss it too, as a vetiver fan, because it was really special!
Thanks for your input. But that's the thing - I am referring to the EDT version. Here is my EDT.

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
I would guess that Etro determined its Vetiver couldn’t withstand reformulation to conform to current EU restrictions. That, or they’re working on it.
Right. The fact that is hasn't been officially discontinued might indeed mean they are working on it. But I am puzzled why its last formulation wouldn't conform to IFRA standards - in fact, judging by the official pyramid at least, I was glad that it didn't contain any of the restricted materials so it could stay as is and we can continue to enjoy it without them messing around with it.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I am puzzled why its last formulation wouldn't conform to IFRA standards - in fact, judging by the official pyramid at least, I was glad that it didn't contain any of the restricted materials so it could stay as is and we can continue to enjoy it without them messing around with it.

Pyramids, alas, are not ingredient lists. It’s not as if anyone puts Lyral or Lilial in the pyramid. I have no idea what is, or was, in the EdT: I only have the EdC, which you’d have to pry out of my cold, dead hands.

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe try emailing them?

If you’re in a rush to get a backup bottle, some German online retailers still have a few bottles with EU shipping available (if you’re in Bulgaria).
Thanks! Sure, I will most probably email them, now that it seems clear there is no official information about its status. I wasn't in a rush, using the remainder of my bottle cautiously, but with this news I might indeed resort to securing a back-up bottle. And yes, my location is correct :)

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
I bought mine from Notino last year as it was the only place I could find it for sale brand new. Wonderful Vetiver scent.
Wonderful indeed. In fact, now that there is a consensus that it has been discontinued, I started to research it more and found it around at few other places within the 100–120-euro range, which is an awesome price for a quality scent like this. I will try to obtain a backup bottle soon, before it’s gone…

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I have three different versions of Etro Vetiver and would like to share my thoughts:

1) The oldest vintage I own has "ACQUA DI COLONIA" and "PAISLEY" written on the label (both on the box and bottle). The box is solid green but there's also a red box version of this (not solid red but with a paisley pattern over it). I'm not sure if the green and red are the same formulation, but it's likely given the similarities of the packaging and bottle. This "ACQUA DI COLONIA" is easily the best version out of the three to my nose: astringent, dry, camphorous and raw vetiver. A distinct leather note is present too. Actually, this might be my favorite vetiver ever. Sadly, the spray version of this comes with a screw-on sprayer, which poses a risk of evaporation. I bought mine sealed in cellophane, yet about 20% had evaporated because of the less-than-optimal seal (I added some ethanol to top it off and luckily the juice itself hadn't turned from oxidization).

2) The Eau de Cologne spray with the golden cap (pictured by Looters-delight above) is "middle vintage" and feels more comfy, less in-your-face and not as forward or unapologetic as the first one. There may be a bit more sweetness to this one too, though it's by no means as sweet as the current formulation.

3) The silver cap Eau de Toilette is the current (or more aptly, the last they released) version. Like @Emanuel76 pointed out in another thread, there's a laundry-like white musk present, which I find a totally unnecessary addition. I don't know if Etro were trying to make it more "contemporary" and "more wearable" with the added sweetness and supposed pleasantness. Pretty unexciting in comparison to the two earlier versions.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
[...] there's a laundry-like white musk present, which I find a totally unnecessary addition.
Well, that's because it seems that most prefer longevity to the detriment of quality. :rolleyes:
God forbid they carry the bottle with them. The perfume must definitely reek for at least 8+1 hours.
LoNgEvItY. :D

I don't know if Etro were trying to make it more "contemporary" and "more wearable" with the added sweetness and supposed pleasantness. Pretty unexciting in comparison to the two earlier versions.
For me the current version is already very raw, rough and corrosive. And this is me trying to be objective, not me who much prefers vetiver in the mix, not (almost) "soliflore".
By far the toughest vetiver I've tested.
I can't imagine what the first version is like. :)

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
For me the current version is already very raw, rough and corrosive. And this is me trying to be objective, not me who much prefers vetiver in the mix, not (almost) "soliflore".
By far the toughest vetiver I've tested.
I can't imagine what the first version is like. :)
Well, this is all comparatively speaking of course, from me over-analytically sniffing them up close, side by side. To be honest, the "white muskiness" of the EdT didn't really bother me when the EdT was the only version I had. The differences are not as pronounced in normal wearing and I agree, even the EdT is still quite raw and I would call it "sweet" only in comparison to its elder brothers...

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
Well, this is all comparatively speaking of course, from me over-analytically sniffing them up close, side by side. To be honest, the "white muskiness" of the EdT didn't really bother me when the EdT was the only version I had. The differences are not as pronounced in normal wearing and I agree, even the EdT is still quite raw and I would call it "sweet" only in comparison to its elder brothers...
I was gonna say I have the silver cap EDT and wouldn’t describe it as sweet at all, to my nose it is a dry, spicy Vetiver. I do get there is something synthetic in the base as it lasts too long and smells too strong to be natural but surprisingly this does not bother me much despite my general aversion to synthetic base notes. I have not tried any other versions mind you.

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
I was gonna say I have the silver cap EDT and wouldn’t describe it as sweet at all, to my nose it is a dry, spicy Vetiver. I do get there is something synthetic in the base as it lasts too long and smells too strong to be natural but surprisingly this does not bother me much despite my general aversion to synthetic base notes. I have not tried any other versions mind you.
My perception of the EDT version is almost the same. I try to stay away from synthetics, although I know there are almost always some present, hence I just rely on my personal threshold. And I rarely compromise. Etro’s Vetiver EDT is untypical in that way, because whatever synthetics are inside, they are blended in a gentler way that harmonically makes the whole formula more accomplished, to the extent that it behaves better even than more direct and arguably less synthetic Vetivers. I really love how refined and distilled this take on Vetiver is, and am glad it doesn’t irritate me. On me it is subtle and refined, and moderate on longevity. And this is precisely what I like about Etro's Vetiver - that it is both like solo Vetiver, but transformed, not just a raw diluted vetiver essential oil. However, given all the comments, I am starting to wonder about two things:

a) If my formula is not actually different then the latest one. My bottle was gifted to me around 5 years ago.
b) If the EDC version – which I didn’t know existed! – is not superior to the EDT, regardless of the version of the EDT.

For me this is a practical matter, since I am collecting the finances to obtain another bottle, and now I am worried what course to take. On one hand I am afraid the newest EDT might differ than mine; on the other hand, I am very tempted to try the EDC version, in the hope that it will be even better. However, given that I don't find the EDT to be sweet at all, and motorcade says the EDC is even less sweet (if we grant there is any sweetness in the EDT to begin with) - I am not sure I want to go that route, to be honest...

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
@Olfactory Brain Palace , if you don't like direct, raw and earthy vetivers, then at least the very first ("PAISLEY") version may be too hardcore. Especially if it has evaporated and condensed, it will be an assault of earthiness.

I personally feel the "middle vintage" golden cap EdC was an unnecessary and expensive purchase for me, having already shelled out for the "deep vintage" just a few months prior.

One thing to consider is that the silver cap EdT's seem to be pricey, so perhaps going for the golden cap EdC would be a better option (depending on availability and price of course). I'm not sure if you were talking about a backup or a replacement for an almost-used bottle.

Olfactory Brain Palace

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2017
@Olfactory Brain Palace , if you don't like direct, raw and earthy vetivers, then at least the very first ("PAISLEY") version may be too hardcore. Especially if it has evaporated and condensed, it will be an assault of earthiness.

I personally feel the "middle vintage" golden cap EdC was an unnecessary and expensive purchase for me, having already shelled out for the "deep vintage" just a few months prior.

One thing to consider is that the silver cap EdT's seem to be pricey, so perhaps going for the golden cap EdC would be a better option (depending on availability and price of course). I'm not sure if you were talking about a backup or a replacement for an almost-used bottle.
Thanks. I have a relatively old (5+ years) EDT, which I love and it is finishing, so approximately a year ago I started to look for a backup, until I realized it might well be discontinued and so I raised the question here. Glad I did, the feedback is/was very helpful. The prices I found on the EDT (which can still be found left in some online shops) and the EDC (where I found only one option) are somewhat within the same range, so I wouldn’t say price would be a decisive factor. I am concerned if the EDT has been reformulated in the last years, since I like my older 5+ years version. As for the EDC – being even older, it is probably better, although I generally don’t use EDCs, since I prefer greater concentration of oils, the EDCs often perform as a aromatized water – which I totally get, it is just not my thing. That plus the fact that I have no idea how Etro’s EDC Vetiver smells, of course. Judging from your description, I get the feeling the EDC smells closer to the vetiver essential oil itself, and if so – I would probably pass on it.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I'm pretty sure the old version is much better. :)

Not a huge vetiver fan, so, the current version it's enough for me.
The white musk is dull as alaway, but it's OK (Etro - Vetiver, the current version) as a palate cleanser. :D It's also good for clearing out sinuses, kills bugs, removes rust, cleans grease, bleach the laundry, bear deterrent.
Very useful!
Everyone should have a bottle.
The sweetness in the base is there, but not pronounced to my nose.

Latest News