Ensar oud crime & punishment

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
https://ensaroud.com/product/crime-punishment-%3Cem%3Epre-order%3C-em%3E/1121?utm_source=Ensar+Oud+List&utm_campaign=65fe40e645-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_30_06_26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_589836d3e9-65fe40e645-78513315

Real raspberries crushed to a paste and spread across a bed of frankincense, 35-year-old oud oil infused with concentrated oud resin, and Edward rose. Grated ambergris and a sac of musk oiled up with iris dunked into blue lotus laced with ylang-ylang battered with mimosa sweetened by peach, roughed up by oud, and styrax… to give the jasmine a sharp vintage edge.

There are two things I would like to discuss here.

1. The perfume itself
2. The analytical aspect of the description of the perfume and why he created it.

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
Based on the description it appears Ensar has taken some criticism based on his use of real musk. He speaks a lot of eo no.2 and the negative feedback he received from it. He questions the ethics of using synthetics versus real deer musk.
In the note breakdown this looks appealing. Many flowers ensar has worked with before combined with ouds, musk, and ambergris. Personally glad to see no mention of orris or frangipani

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
His email and content of it looks like a hurt babies rant. I am not sure who he is referring to in the post, but if its Adam, then all I have to say "Talk is cheap!". Adams W&P for 220 is better than EO1, EO2 and Tigerlust together. And even if something is synthetic there, smell wise it knock anything i tried from Ensar out of the park. I will search for the split of Crime&Punishment, but if it fails to deliver, i will be completely done with Ensar as a house .
As for perfume, love raspberry, so very curious to see what it will be :)

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Yeah, “War & Peace” was a marketing triumph Ensar wished they had thought up themselves. Now they play ‘follow the leader’, unashamedly taking a page from the same playbook yet has the temerity to remain on their ‘high horse’ while disparaging other houses in a less-than-subtle rant disguised as marketing literature. Isn’t ‘fermented white wood’ clearly a dig at Bortnikoff’s use of Indonesia Bouya and synthetic musk a criticism on ALD Siberian Summer? Wow. There’s a lot of emotional ‘salt’ to unpack here.

This kinda makes me NOT want to even sample their stuff anymore. Why don’t they just focus on their own thing, worry less about ‘competition’ and be happy that more fans are finding their way to artisanal fragrances? A scarcity mindset will do them in before long. Accessibility is an issue they have yet to address after all these years. Not many fans has $700-800 lying in around to blow on a bottle that gets few wears.

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
Crime & Punishment is a protest. A march against the charade of high-class synthetics peddled as artisanal aromatics. A bulldozer fueled by influencer endorsement instead of genuine artistic accomplishment.
I understand where ensar is coming from here. There are several houses i could name that are built around youtube influencers and overhyped IMO. Im curious if the targets here really are Adam and Dmitri, which would be odd as I thought ensar and Dmitri were close friends...

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Critic is Nikhil from Exotic Scents? I recognize some of the paraphrased quotes from Nikhil’s review of EO2. Also, he collaborated with ALD on a perfume in ALD’s collection that came out shortly after EO2 did. And bootlegger is Russian Adam then I guess.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
On a training i got at work, we were told not to bash competitor. EVER! Gives clients bad vibes about you. I wonder what this will result in for Ensar :rolleyesold:

As for Nikhil, he is reviewer and can express his opinion about product. He doesnt force anyone to do as he said.

stinkyriddle

Jan 6, 2020
I love when an artist is unabashedly themselves regardless of wether or not I agree with their sentiments. All of these perfumers look up to Ensar in some way or another and it’s no secret that Ensar is at the top of his game in the Oud world. I’d feel honored to be attacked by the master of poetic prose descriptions.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
EO2 was not well received by a lot of people, as EO1 was. But EO2 was very good in its own right. Still, for some reason, many people didn't like it as much. Personal preference I guess.

The jabs at ALD is just part of the marketing. Drama will create awareness etc. Fact is, ALD is THE hype brand at the moment, so taking shots at ALD will draw awareness here.

I'm a huge EO and ALD fanboy, but I don't like this approach. Let your fragrances do the talking.

On to the fragrance- sounds great. Being the aforementioned fanboy that I am, I'm down with it.

AZsmells

Jul 11, 2004
EO has always used this approach in advertising. It isn't something new. It's why I stopped buying from him. I used to be a huge fan going back to his Oriscent days. I can find great ouds and perfumes elsewhere.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
The jabs at ALD is just part of the marketing. Drama will create awareness etc. Fact is, ALD is THE hype brand at the moment, so taking shots at ALD will draw awareness here.

Controversy stirs up the nest and brings in the eyeballs (+ hornets) to the brand. Guess they’re taking a calculated risk. There is however the risk of miscalculation.., We’ll see. I’d love to get a sample to try and a chance to do a rant-disguised-as-a-review lol.

FCM415

Jan 25, 2018
1. Ensar, Adam, and Dimitri are very good friends.

2. Ensar's release video of EO2 (predates W&P) on YouTube described it as something that characters from War and Peace would wear.

3. I can't afford Ensar's Parfums at this time. Hopefully I can weed thru the drama and bashing and find reviews.

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
I’ve noticed that with Ensar’s perfume releases he rarely gives a detailed breakdown of the notes. Hints of what are included are mentioned throughout the long prose that he writes - and it’s up to the reader to decipher it. The exception is with EO1 where this a clear list of top, heart and base notes.

Do think this approach makes any difference? I’m comparing against the hype and excitement that arises when someone like ALD announces their full note breakdown - like the million year-old plus fossil Amber in W&P.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
I couldn’t care less which approach they choose to take. I don’t even know what ancient fossilized amber is supposed to smell like.

My perception of Ensar Oud scents however seems locked on their purist /puritanical heritage in oud distillation, and not so much on artisanal fragrance composition. Am I too far off base to surmise their foray into blends or multi-ingredient fragrances is a relatively more recent development? Perhaps treading on inroads made by ALD and Bortnikoff? I don’t remember any full fledged fragrance from them before EO1...

mahmadna

Dec 19, 2019
I emailed the guys at Ensar Oud. The 9.5ml tester won't be available not until they officially launch the perfume on Feb 25.

If you can't wait, get a decant from Strifeknot.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
Thoughts in order of hearing about this and visiting page:

1: Ohhh coooool Crime&Punishment! A play on the famous Fyodor Dostoyevsky novel.

2: ...loads up page... skim skim skim... for the love of god can i just get a note listing?

3:
"Likewise with critics who yesterday didn’t know what oud is, and couldn’t tell the difference between a phthalate and gyrinops if their life depended on it. They can’t tune a string, yet pretend to conduct an orchestra.

As I said before, this is not an act of marketing. I just want to set the record straight, in case I die one day and you confuse my work for that of a tone-deaf bootlegger coming after your money.

Marketing is one thing, and history is quite another. And in case you didn’t catch it, in the release video of EO No 2, I described the perfume as a fragrance to be worn by the characters of War & Peace.

Since that theme was pilfered, I resort to the work of the author's ill-fated contemporary, who had a knack for gambling everything he had each night before he went home to his wife."

Yeah I'm done, dude consistently comes off like the smuggest F**king prick ever. Won't receive another dollar from me.

FCM415

Jan 25, 2018
I couldn’t care less which approach they choose to take. I don’t even know what ancient fossilized amber is supposed to smell like.

My perception of Ensar Oud scents however seems locked on their purist /puritanical heritage in oud distillation, and not so much on artisanal fragrance composition. Am I too far off base to surmise their foray into blends or multi-ingredient fragrances is a relatively more recent development? Perhaps treading on inroads made by ALD and Bortnikoff? I don’t remember any full fledged fragrance from them before EO1...

They definitely released E01 after Areej's second editions and around the same time as Bortnikoff's first edition.

Blends and multi ingredient fragrances theyve had for a decade by way of attars.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
They definitely released E01 after Areej's second editions and around the same time as Bortnikoff's first edition.

Blends and multi ingredient fragrances theyve had for a decade by way of attars.

Thanks for the info. That’s what I thought. But kinda forgot about their attars though...

FWIW EO has earned every right to vent against YouTube pseudo artisans...but I’m not convinced they’re fighting for a piece of the same pie given the significant price differentials.

bklow

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 2, 2018
I won't spend the time to read every word on the page in the link. The few times I visited his site over the past year to see if there was anything I was interested in, I would end up rolling my eyes from trying to read the novellas on each page that seemed more boastful of his abilities than any description of the perfume.

But, sounds like we may have some entertainment with the start of a little Tupac & Biggie of the artisan perfume world :rolleyesold:

mahmadna

Dec 19, 2019
I won't spend the time to read every word on the page in the link. The few times I visited his site over the past year to see if there was anything I was interested in, I would end up rolling my eyes from trying to read the novellas on each page that seemed more boastful of his abilities than any description of the perfume.

But, sounds like we may have some entertainment with the start of a little Tupac & Biggie of the artisan perfume world :rolleyesold:

It's time for...War & Peace!

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
Jcelello is correct.
Ensar released eo no2.
Nikhil worked with adam to release koh i noor
Nikhil released a review of eo no2 (watch it on youtube "exotic scents")
Ensar responded on Crime & Punishment

crime & punishment rant has nothing to do with Dmitri Bortnikoff and I feel it was not aimed at russian adam either, just Nikhil.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding Nikhil and Ensar's actions, whether you feel it was genuine or the review was calculated to be inline with the release of koh i noor.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
The sad part, and it might turn out to be a prophesy, is that main character, not a hero, of the story commits a crime, thinks he is right and never fully understands that what he did was wrong. He is not as smart as he thought, gets caught and sent out to Siberia/ isolated. And even inmates dont really like him. Ensar is walking on a thin line.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
Sadly, this man is lost since long time ago. His descriptions are simply rant after rant and shot after shot to everybody and everywhere moved by a clear and so negative envy. He cannot accept Adam's success. He cannot accept that JK is the only one in business who currently offers pure Kyara, both in oil and wood, and not him (Royal Kinam 2.0 frontal attack to DeLapp is, well, unacceptable). He can't even accept Zakir's new raise (Tigerlust right after Emperor Hind with its tiger motive and inspiration, and label? Come on...) : )

Ensar, lately, only talks about money and about how samaritan he is by bringing us such oils at such prices and how bad are the rest who, basically, sell us at double the price many ouds with half the quality. Every single week there is a new oil and a new rant, some weeks even two. He discontinues this oil and the other, 'sold out' he tells us, and then reappear a few months later and stay for months or even years in the Legends page... He must think that there is someone out there who actually believes this or doesn't look at this strategies with a little compassion.

He was once a visionary and a spearhead. Now he seems a desperate vendor.

Lisieux

Nov 30, 2018
I noticed his Crime & Punishment just today. The naming was a surprise (based on his usual names). Anyway, NOT to speak badly of him at all but as a customer of his who owns Oud Yusuf and Aroha Kush (as well as two of his perfume oils), the question has popped into my mind if he 'spikes' his oud with aroma chemicals. Again, NOT to accuse him at all but my nose tells me the fruit notes seem a little too tenacious and a little too 'true'. I want to try more oud's from him but I'm feeling apprehensive to buy from him again because of my uncertainty about his oud. I don't know who 'Adam' and JK are but I'm looking for other oud dealers just to see what else is out there. I feel bad writing in this public forum my questions about the purity of his oud because he seems like such an awesome guy in his YT videos and on the youtube channel called FragranceView etc... but I want to see if anyone else has the same questions. Don't get me wrong he seems like the type of person I'd love to know personally; no disrespect intended for him by my above concerns.

Last edited:

peter4ptv

Jun 1, 2015
Sadly, this man is lost since long time ago. His descriptions are simply rant after rant and shot after shot to everybody and everywhere moved by a clear and so negative envy. He cannot accept Adam's success. He cannot accept that JK is the only one in business who currently offers pure Kyara, both in oil and wood, and not him (Royal Kinam 2.0 frontal attack to DeLapp is, well, unacceptable). He can't even accept Zakir's new raise (Tigerlust right after Emperor Hind with its tiger motive and inspiration, and label? Come on...) : )

Ensar, lately, only talks about money and about how samaritan he is by bringing us such oils at such prices and how bad are the rest who, basically, sell us at double the price many ouds with half the quality. Every single week there is a new oil and a new rant, some weeks even two. He discontinues this oil and the other, 'sold out' he tells us, and then reappear a few months later and stay for months or even years in the Legends page... He must think that there is someone out there who actually believes this or doesn't look at this strategies with a little compassion.

He was once a visionary and a spearhead. Now he seems a desperate vendor.

finally someone describe it well how ensar oud works.......

Finnster

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Who is this unnamed critic and bootlegger that he talks about?
This drama sounds so delicious.

i know right?

OUD WARS!!!!!!!!!!! two grown ass men who make perfume battle it out in an online burn-fest to see who sucks more.

if i told my friends about this they wouldn't believe it.

Finnster

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Ensar says this about EO2 on the page for Crime & Punishment:

"I know this is a point of contention, but I want it to go down for the record that I hold EO No 2 as the main accomplishment of my career as a perfumer."

all i can say is WOW. because i was lucky enough to get a great collection of some of Ensar's best oud oils about 10 years ago, before his prices and attitude both got offensive. so i took a chance on EO2 and bought it blind.

worst. blind. buy. evarrrrrr.

in fact i'd go so far as to say it might be one of the most revolting fragrances i've ever had the misfortune of trying. i have no idea who would willingly want to smell like that. and i ADORE musk as well as funky animalic fragrances (think Oudh Infini, Absolue Pour le Soir, etc). but this is musk on top of a smoky bbq rank leather, diluted in bug spray. the only reason i would ever wear this is if i decided to live in a jungle and i wanted to mate with some of the animals who roam there. otherwise this is 100% woman-repellant and the guy friends i've shown it to just wear a stunned face of WTF.

and he says it's his greatest achievement as a perfumer. again, just wow...

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
i know right?

OUD WARS!!!!!!!!!!! two grown ass men who make perfume battle it out in an online burn-fest to see who sucks more.

if i told my friends about this they wouldn't believe it.

On another note, I turned to my partner last night and said, “Oh shit, perfume drama is going dooooooown” and I swear she almost left me.

now now.... we all know that perfume is serious business.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I wouldnt call EO2 bad, but its basic. You can read same message on Nikhils face, especially cuz he dropped like 800$. At the end of the day, if one is making perfume, artistry has to be #1 thing. Ensar kept going a route of highlighting all facets of singular material like he does with oud and thats where he failed. What makes one a better person is when you get up, learn from mistake and progress, and not throwing temper tantrum the way we observe it.

I wish A Coburn read and responded to this thread. Very curious to what he would say.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I swear, sometimes I wish I could buy a perfume just because of it's name! :D (Yeah, I know I could probably order online, but if I have to do that, it's usually not happening! lol) Especially if it's a blind buy and it's expensive.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Ensar says this about EO2 on the page for Crime & Punishment:

"I know this is a point of contention, but I want it to go down for the record that I hold EO No 2 as the main accomplishment of my career as a perfumer."

all i can say is WOW. because i was lucky enough to get a great collection of some of Ensar's best oud oils about 10 years ago, before his prices and attitude both got offensive. so i took a chance on EO2 and bought it blind.

worst. blind. buy. evarrrrrr.

in fact i'd go so far as to say it might be one of the most revolting fragrances i've ever had the misfortune of trying. i have no idea who would willingly want to smell like that. and i ADORE musk as well as funky animalic fragrances (think Oudh Infini, Absolue Pour le Soir, etc). but this is musk on top of a smoky bbq rank leather, diluted in bug spray. the only reason i would ever wear this is if i decided to live in a jungle and i wanted to mate with some of the animals who roam there. otherwise this is 100% woman-repellant and the guy friends i've shown it to just wear a stunned face of WTF.

and he says it's his greatest achievement as a perfumer. again, just wow...

It's rated pretty highly on Fragnatica.
Just not as highly as EO1. I like it. Conversely I hate Oudh Inifni. Different tastes I guess lol.

Latest News