English Leather: The Downmarket Cousin to Knize Ten

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
It might have made a big difference in truth... The one I bought, while apparently full was not boxed at all, and the juice had obviously darkened to a large degree.

Vintage is darker than current but if it's cola dark it's probably turned. You should have gotten a noise-piercing top note, a bit of powder in the heart, and the isobutyl quinoline tannery note should have showed up along with the woods, vetiver, and oakmoss. Sounds like it still smells good, just maybe baked in a windowsill or an attack for a decade too many and became something a bit milder than it should have been. Vintage English Leather when it's in good shape is strong.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
Vintage is darker than current but if it's cola dark it's probably turned. You should have gotten a noise-piercing top note, a bit of powder in the heart, and the isobutyl quinoline tannery note should have showed up along with the woods, vetiver, and oakmoss. Sounds like it still smells good, just maybe baked in a windowsill or an attack for a decade too many and became something a bit milder than it should have been. Vintage English Leather when it's in good shape is strong.
My bottle is cream soda colored, but still I think the top notes have burned off, for the most part... As for the strength, I definitely don’t get a potency level concentration-wise, but I ended up getting over 12 hours longevity on skin. So while it never projected much, it definitely hung around for a long time in relative terms.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I just received my bottles, bought on ebay, an aftershave and a cologne. Sadly, the aftershave is ruined, the top smells off. Underneath, a light musk and some powder but no obvious leather. The cologne is mostly ok. The top does indeed have a sharp leather, a bit crude, but not bad at all. I can see the references to Fahrenheit and to Knize Ten-though only vague, there are no florals and no complexity. As it goes, it looses the leather a bit and seems to move more into musky territory.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I just received my bottles, bought on ebay, an aftershave and a cologne. Sadly, the aftershave is ruined, the top smells off. Underneath, a light musk and some powder but no obvious leather. The cologne is mostly ok. The top does indeed have a sharp leather, a bit crude, but not bad at all. I can see the references to Fahrenheit and to Knize Ten-though only vague, there are no florals and no complexity. As it goes, it looses the leather a bit and seems to move more into musky territory.

I think there are a lot of turned bottles out there because on mine the leather remains until the end.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Indeed, they must be off. After all these were bottles kept in the bathroom in the light-so no surprise there.

Shave-A-Thon

Nov 8, 2015
I hope some of you are still subscribed to this thread. I wore Mem English Leather quite a few decades ago back in high school and over the last few years bought the Dana versions of the cologne and aftershave. I saw these bottles for sale. They have MEM written on them, but I don't remember MEM bottles just having the logo printing directly on the bottle like Dana. The MEM bottles I remember and vintage ones I've seen have the paper labels glued to the bottle.

Are these legit?

englishleatherbox.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I hope some of you are still subscribed to this thread. I wore Mem English Leather quite a few decades ago back in high school and over the last few years bought the Dana versions of the cologne and aftershave. I saw these bottles for sale. They have MEM written on them, but I don't remember MEM bottles just having the logo printing directly on the bottle like Dana. The MEM bottles I remember and vintage ones I've seen have the paper labels glued to the bottle.

Are these legit?

View attachment 160263

There must have been a short period of time where MEM used these printed bottles before Dana took them over. If it's a good price I wouldn't hesitate.

Yeah MEM did this right before New Renaissance/New Dana (as they were known then) took over. Also NR/ND kept manufacturing and labelling in place for most of the 90's too, when their offices were in Mountaintop PA. Once they consolidated offices and manufacturing in New Jersey (2000's), formulas got destroyed and everything got cheap as f**k.

Wind Drift in particular is really lovely.

Shave-A-Thon

Nov 8, 2015
Yeah MEM did this right before New Renaissance/New Dana (as they were known then) took over. Also NR/ND kept manufacturing and labelling in place for most of the 90's too, when their offices were in Mountaintop PA. Once they consolidated offices and manufacturing in New Jersey (2000's), formulas got destroyed and everything got cheap as f**k.

Wind Drift in particular is really lovely.

There must have been a short period of time where MEM used these printed bottles before Dana took them over. If it's a good price I wouldn't hesitate.

Thanks for your replies and information. I recently read elsewhere that they were still producing them at the MEM plant when they first bought the brand. I put the order in and will upload some more photos when it arrives. I'm really surprised there isn't a site with more detail about the history of the classic men's aftershaves. Both Basenotes and Fragrantica were founded decades after their heyday and there's precious little information on the forums. Even shaving sites like Badgerandblade have little advanced detail on English Leather, although more than Basenotes and Fragrantica until your posts.

There was also a box with plastic bottles in the purchase. Let's see what those say. I wrote an Ebay seller who was also selling the clear Mem bottles without the labels and told the person it would help if they posted a photo of the back of the back that either states Mem or Dana on it, and if it states Dana, explain that they were still using the Mem formula back then. Many see those bottles and wonder if they're authentic.

It's very similar to this bottle of Old Spice I found in my closet last year that was stashed in an old box of colognes I had. While P&G bought it from Shulton in 1990, they were still using the stronger Shulton formula into the mid '90's.

oldspice_cologne_1993.jpg

Latest News