Elixir Attars Discussion Thread

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
I bought a sample set with eight of his extraits that I'm beginning to work my way through today. As usual for me these thoughts are focused on the opening 30-60 minutes since I never can pace myself enough to give each one proper attention before spraying on the next...

First off, the extra that Ahmed kindly sent me, Fumée Royale - holy shits what an opening. I have exactly zero experience of bakhoor-burning sessions, but to me this opens like a more natural smelling (no scratchy woody ambers) and much calmer/more contemplative Jubilation XXV. It is very smoothly blended and hard for me to pick apart, but there is incense, sweet cardamom and a sort of subdued fruity floral sweetness and it is just so very very good. After 10-15 minutes the sweetness takes a slight step back and becomes more caramel-y than fruity in character, and green and earthy notes start popping out. Guessing that this is the ouds starting to show themselves. The first impression caveat aside, this might be one of the best things I've smelled all year. EDIT: Had to re-spray to relive the opening, and this time the rose was more prominent, creating just a slight hint of Turkish Delight. I usually struggle with that smell but here it is really nice.

Royal Luban is as advertised very frankincense-focused. The opening is icy and minty, piercing and refreshing, and leads into a very clean, crisp, ever so slightly lemony frankincense note. No smoke, no spice, very nice.

Classical chypres have never been my thing, and I mostly just ordered Iris Chypre for reference. While I probably won't go for a bottle of it, there is something understated in this approach to the chypre, a lush, humid smoothness which I really appreciate. Like if you put Papillons Dryad out in the rain and all the edges were smoothened.

Going to need to let these sit for a while before I try the next one. I'm especially excited for Mythique, given the praise Swoleosis gave to the coffee note up thread. Still haven't found that holy grail coffee fragrance and had given up hope that it existed, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Purchased Royal Luban and I feel it is a excellent Frankincense as well. Did you get a sample of Spirit Of Hellenic Republic I have really enjoyed it the past couple of weeks along with the newer Niflheim.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Purchased Royal Luban and I feel it is a excellent Frankincense as well. Did you get a sample of Spirit Of Hellenic Republic I have really enjoyed it the past couple of weeks along with the newer Niflheim.

No, I only got Japan from the "Spirit of" series. How is the Hellenic Republic, care to describe it?

Tried Mythique today and yes, I love it. I feel that if you took Sultan Pashas Café Ambre Noir, dialed down the hazelnutty syrup a bit, chose a slightly darker coffee roast, and added a very nice and quite raw tobacco note, and turned it into an extrait - you might get close to what this is. (disclaimer: it's been a while since I smelled CAN, so my memory might be skewed) It is the wrong season to really try a full wear of this but I'll be buying a bottle anyway.

Cohiban Coffee is interesting. The first 30 seconds were a bit confusing to me, herbal, green, sticky sweet coffee? Don't really know what happened there, because now it is starting to settle nicely, and the sweetness has receded significantly. The cigar leaf maceration produces an addictive dry and light tobacco note, which is the clear standout in an otherwise very agreeable but not unique semi-gourmand sandalwood/vanlla base. This is not as much of an instant hit as Mythique was and will require a few more wears, but if I can just make some sense of the opening this might be a keeper too as I can't stop sniffing my arm.

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
It's funny that a few of us got RM3 plus samples from this house. And it's great to read the reviews and impressions from the Naturals Crew, and everyone else. Can't wait until the rest of my samples come in.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
It's funny that a few of us got RM3 plus samples from this house. And it's great to read the reviews and impressions from the Naturals Crew, and everyone else. Can't wait until the rest of my samples come in.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Can't make sense of the opening of Cohiban Coffee today either. Castingshadows wrote up thread about it being muddled for the first little while before nicely sorting itself out, and I very much agree. While there's nothing of the sort listed, I feel that there is a thick dried fruit sweetness upon spraying which is not particularily pleasant to me. An effect of the combined sweetness of jasmin and honey, maybe? Usually I don't have time for perfume that has parts that I don't enjoy, even if they are short-lived, but I might end up buying and wearing this anyway because the rest of it is so damn good.

Sampled Niflheim yesterday and it is a fun and weird fragrance. It reminds me of January Scent Project in that it is perfume that feels really cleverly constructed in order to fit a thought out theme, that I'm not sure if I would actually wear with any regularity. The lavender/spearmint top notes and the ambergris/seashell base notes makes for a nice cold/hot associative contrast, but the fragrance as a whole gives me a slightly uneasy feeling of "What does this even smell like?" (a feeling many JSP scents also give me).

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Yes Niflheim is different it took me a few wears to understand it. The opening seems to me at least it's strongest point with its icy mint blast. It feels like a visit to the upper Scottish Highlands when I was a boy enjoying watching the fishing boats go out under a swift constant breeze. Perhaps I enjoy it more due to my flashbacks of this and I am immediately transported back in time.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
No, I only got Japan from the "Spirit of" series. How is the Hellenic Republic, care to describe it?

Tried Mythique today and yes, I love it. I feel that if you took Sultan Pashas Café Ambre Noir, dialed down the hazelnutty syrup a bit, chose a slightly darker coffee roast, and added a very nice and quite raw tobacco note, and turned it into an extrait - you might get close to what this is. (disclaimer: it's been a while since I smelled CAN, so my memory might be skewed) It is the wrong season to really try a full wear of this but I'll be buying a bottle anyway.

Cohiban Coffee is interesting. The first 30 seconds were a bit confusing to me, herbal, green, sticky sweet coffee? Don't really know what happened there, because now it is starting to settle nicely, and the sweetness has receded significantly. The cigar leaf maceration produces an addictive dry and light tobacco note, which is the clear standout in an otherwise very agreeable but not unique semi-gourmand sandalwood/vanlla base. This is not as much of an instant hit as Mythique was and will require a few more wears, but if I can just make some sense of the opening this might be a keeper too as I can't stop sniffing my arm.

Oud version of this one reminded me of tootsie rolls every time I wore it. Like brown muddy sweet. One of the few I didn’t get from the house. Then right when I sold it I sniffed the cap and it clicked for me. Lol. But I had already accepted the PayPal so off it went!

succio

Jun 11, 2016
My packaged shipped from Cairo, Egypt but wow it is fast! in just a few days its already landed here in California.

I was able to change the delivery date to sooner as well, excited to get it tomorrow!

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
What would u guys recommend from the house while the Cohiban Coffee oud interests me as I'm looking for a good coffee , seems theres some experts in here so anything else u would recommend trying or looking into?

Very new to this house myself but as far as coffee goes you'll find my thoughts up thread on Mythique, which has the best coffee note I've tried yet.

Jed Or Alive

Nov 8, 2019
Seconding Mythique as my favorite if you're looking for a quality coffee-prominent fragrance.

I've also generally received my packages pretty quickly (several days from Eqypt to California) except for the one time that DHL lost my package for 30 days. Although when they finally found it, it went from their Cincinnati, Ohio location to my doorstep in Southern California in the same day.

succio

Jun 11, 2016
So my package was sent tuesday, and just got delivered today (Thursday) in California. I hardly ever get packages sent within the US this fast.

Trying maqha al sharq attar and it is just beautiful. Exactly as the notes describe gourmand that isnt intensely sweet, the butter note really does come through with a nice faint rose in the background

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
It's Mythique every day for me this past week, I'm getting a ton of mileage from this little sample.

Can anyone identify the slightly... scratchy? note in the opening minutes / hour? If I didn't know this to be a natural house, I'd say it was some kind of synthetic. It reminds me of things I've smelled like... Side Effect, or other modern fragrances, esp ambery woody ones. Is it a tobacco isolate? I don't dabble in my own creations like a lot of ppl here so I have no idea what individual ingredients smell like. .

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
It's Mythique every day for me this past week, I'm getting a ton of mileage from this little sample.

Can anyone identify the slightly... scratchy? note in the opening minutes / hour? If I didn't know this to be a natural house, I'd say it was some kind of synthetic. It reminds me of things I've smelled like... Side Effect, or other modern fragrances, esp ambery woody ones. Is it a tobacco isolate? I don't dabble in my own creations like a lot of ppl here so I have no idea what individual ingredients smell like. .

Ahmed actually uses synthetics in a lot of his works although I do believe they are very minimal. He’s always been up front about it as well but I think folks assume it’s an all natural house.

I have an old version of Mythique so I can’t comment on this unless you have the Attar format from 2019?

Aug 5, 2020

I didn't get that vibe from Mythique, the one I bought is around end of last year

personally I think brother Ahmed had been very transparent with the usage of sythentic, he will mentioned on the page if he use.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020

I don't get anything scratchy in the way that synthetics (woody ambers, specifically) can be, but the tobacco/coffee opening is very dry to me. I very much enjoy it but I could see how it could come across as scratchy. But maybe it is something else you're getting? Please report back if you find out what it is. Just like you I haven't got a big reference library for individual ingredients. I'm sure that there are loads of ingredients in designer/niche fragrances that I think are synthetics, that are actually naturals.

In other news the record DHL speed continues, with just over 48 hours delivery from Cairo to my mother's house in the north of Sweden. The wooden boxes that the full bottles come in are exquisite! Starting to go through the new round of samples, Maqha Al-Sharq is just plain delicious. It is very much a pastry (baklava) fragrance, given some darkness by what smells like cardamom coffee and roasted hazelnuts. In fact, it is so delicious that I am a little disappointed that I cannot eat it. If the three I bought bottles of are all semi-gourmand, this is full on gourmand, and should be tried by any fan of the genre.

Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme is not very extreme to me, and as expected shares the core notes with the original CC. It has a more "familiar" opening than the somewhat chaotic one of CC, and I don't feel it is particularly mudded or soupy (the extrait form might have helped here). The vibe is darker overall, and the oud complements the tobacco making it darker and smokier (and thus closer to Mythique). I still prefer CC for it's unique, blond/light tobacco/mysore drydown. If I didn't have Mythique I might have gone for CCOE. I'd encourage sampling all three to find which one suits your tastes the most.

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
My samples came today and I don't even need time to think; order placed for Maqha Al-Sharq; instant love. A genius balancing act of orris / buttery gourmand masculinized by spices, tobacco and coffee. Easy to enjoy, probably crowd pleasing, but also interesting. I would have preferred a 15ml but 10 will do for now!

succio

Jun 11, 2016
Got my package in 4 days this time. I am loving spirit of hellenic, the oakmoss is very good without being overpowering, I wonder if he would make this one a spray would love to wear this on a cool night out

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Got my package in 4 days this time. I am loving spirit of hellenic, the oakmoss is very good without being overpowering, I wonder if he would make this one a spray would love to wear this on a cool night out

Hellenic is available in spray format! Those samples are not yet available as options of the website, but send Ahmed an e-mail and he'll sort you out.

I'm crazy for the three bottles I bought. I no longer find the opening of Cohiban Coffee weird, now it is a quite linear but addictive tobacco sandalwood semi-gourmand. The far drydown of Mythique is pretty similar to CC, with added coffee. Had fun sampling the rest, even if none of them inspired me to go for a full bottle. Ghaliya Rosarie is the closest, but my wearings of my rose-centric scents are too few and far between to justify it. The rose/musk/saffron/sandalwood combo reminds me of SPA:s Al Hareem, with less hindi oud funk and more/fuller rose. Great stuff.

succio

Jun 11, 2016
I have been wearing maqha al sharq (EDP) on most nights since I got it, I have noticed I have tended to like the more gourmand offerings from Elixir Attar.

Is Cohiban Coffee redundant if I already have mythique and maha al sharq?

Jed Or Alive

Nov 8, 2019
Is Cohiban Coffee redundant if I already have mythique and maha al sharq?

It's in the same general category, but if you like that style it's definitely unique enough from the other two to warrant its own spot. I get much more prominent florals in Cohiban alongside the chocolate/vanilla/coffee, whereas with Mythique (my favorite of the three) I get mostly tobacco/coffee and Maqha I get coffee and some kind of desserts/pastries.

I'm not personally as into sweeter/gourmand fragrances as some others, so having Mythique kind of fills that need for me, but for gourmand fans, I don't see an issue having all three.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
It's in the same general category, but if you like that style it's definitely unique enough from the other two to warrant its own spot. I get much more prominent florals in Cohiban alongside the chocolate/vanilla/coffee, whereas with Mythique (my favorite of the three) I get mostly tobacco/coffee and Maqha I get coffee and some kind of desserts/pastries.

I'm not personally as into sweeter/gourmand fragrances as some others, so having Mythique kind of fills that need for me, but for gourmand fans, I don't see an issue having all three.

Nice outlining, I agree. The only thing I would add is that Cohiban Coffee has a tobacco note which is different from the one in Mythique, and which blends extremely well with the floral and gourmand aspects. The two are pretty close in the far drydown, but I bought both anyway because they give off very different (to me) vibes in the first couple of hours.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013

He does have it as a spray as you can order it that way. It is a favorite of mine also. He does put it out in a bespoke label bottle not with the name Spirit of Hellanic Replublic

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Finally tried Marisam Ghaliya Imperiale and I’m literally speechless. I’m not sure why this isn’t getting hyped up because in my opinion Ahmed has done something that completely elevates his perfume style. Total clarity from the moment you swipe the Attar all the way through the drydown. It’s like he showcases the materials in a way that is not only well blended but expertly balanced. You get jammy rose and florals up top but with a stunning backbone of Hindi Oud and animalics. As it dries down a strong peppery ouddyness and tobacco laced ambergris note shows up which is one of my favorite accords I’ve smelled in this style. In a way it reminds me of a cross between Cheval d’ Arabie and Attar Silsila but takes my favorite aspects of each and combined them into something new.

I love that the Rose is strong on the onset but quickly dials down into a super peppery oud-liqueur aroma. The Oud that Ahmed used is like a better version of Oud Metei from Agarwood Assam but has a thicker resinous quality. I’m getting lots of incense in this but not like “incense” but rather Agarwood on a charcoal. It’s the kind of incense that showcases slightly charred resins.

Overall this might be one of the best Rose/Oud combos I’ve smelled. It sits right up there with Malik Al Taif, Eo1, Juriah, Cheval d’ Arabie and Attar Silsila.

Bravo Ahmed you outdid yourself!

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Overall this might be one of the best Rose/Oud combos I’ve smelled. It sits right up there with Malik Al Taif, Eo1, Juriah, Cheval d’ Arabie and Attar Silsila.

Well, you've sold me on seeking this out by grouping it together with these giants. I know this might be heresy to some, but I'd put Dead of Night by StrangeloveNYC in that list too.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Well, you've sold me on seeking this out by grouping it together with these giants. I know this might be heresy to some, but I'd put Dead of Night by StrangeloveNYC in that list too.

Christopher Laudemiel (sp?) is clearly a legend and master perfumer so it makes sense to include him. I haven’t tried any of Strangelove’s perfumes but there’s no doubt in my mind that man knows how to blend.

As for Marisim Ghaliya Imperiale I gotta give it to Ahmed because it shows he’s seriously focusing on actual perfumery and blending. I love when you can tell a perfumer is trying to get better. Give it a few years and a lot of the “raw/unfinished/heavy handed/poor blending” terms won’t really apply to this side of perfumery.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
I haven't tried the Imperiale, but the original Marasim Ghaliyah is fantastic. The quality of the hindi out is on par with anything else I've tried.

On one of recent orders with him I have a sample just called Marasim that he included and it is excellent I keep it at my desk at work and dab a bit on my wrist. I can't keep from sniffing it. I wonder if this is a precursor to the Marasim Ghaliyah?

Jed Or Alive

Nov 8, 2019
On one of recent orders with him I have a sample just called Marasim that he included and it is excellent I keep it at my desk at work and dab a bit on my wrist. I can't keep from sniffing it. I wonder if this is a precursor to the Marasim Ghaliyah?

It may just be that he abbreviated on the sample vial; that's been the case on a couple of mine. Is it a smooth leathery oud?

Latest News