Elixir Attars Discussion Thread

Aug 8, 2019
Would anyone be interested in a 30 ml bottle of Ghaliya Rosarie of the first batch? I only sprayed about 9 times. Loved Elixir's Ghaliyat Tareeq al Hareer, but something about the GR opening threw me off.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
I started following this thread in July and placed an order at that time. Purchased Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique, Kalevala, and Spirit of Arabia. Received a sample of Iris Chypre with the order. Everything about the purchase was perfect... the scents are all amazing and more than hold their own against a good number of Ensar Oud and Sultan Pasha attars in my collection. The Iris Chypre sample has been stretched to the max and I knew from first wearing I had to have a bottle but wasn’t going to order it on its own. The stars aligned yesterday with the release of the three Nahawands and the extreme musk version of Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique. Order placed and Ahmed has it on the way already. Has anybody here experienced any of his latest or upcoming releases and have any thoughts on them? Seems to me with the quality he puts out and his high level of customer service he ought to be drawing more attention...

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
I started following this thread in July and placed an order at that time. Purchased Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique, Kalevala, and Spirit of Arabia. Received a sample of Iris Chypre with the order. Everything about the purchase was perfect... the scents are all amazing and more than hold their own against a good number of Ensar Oud and Sultan Pasha attars in my collection. The Iris Chypre sample has been stretched to the max and I knew from first wearing I had to have a bottle but wasn’t going to order it on its own. The stars aligned yesterday with the release of the three Nahawands and the extreme musk version of Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique. Order placed and Ahmed has it on the way already. Has anybody here experienced any of his latest or upcoming releases and have any thoughts on them? Seems to me with the quality he puts out and his high level of customer service he ought to be drawing more attention...

I think the issue is perception here. A huge turn off for many is the price for 15ml bottles but what they don’t realize is Ahmed simply takes the exact same amount of material that would be in a 3gram Attar bottle and adds perfumers alcohol to it in order to make it sprayable. It’s the exact same amount of material as the Attar format but for whatever reason people assume it’s overcharging. The biggest complaint I see is “why is this $250 for 15ml?” And it’s slightly disheartening because I really do feel like Ahmed is a wonderful perfumer putting out amazing products. Some I like more than others but the perception of his Extraits verse Attars kinda hinders his sales a bit for those that stick to spray format only.

No one bats an eye at sultan pasha’s pricing and rightfully so. However if Sultan Pasha added 12ml’s of alcohol in a spray bottle to make his Attars sprayable and still charged $350-400 I think the same complaints would happen. Taha also experienced this same complaint as well. Thankfully there’s only been three compositions of Ahmed’s that I downright disliked. Everything else has either been likes or loves.

Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme is the perfect compliment to Mythique. Both of which show tobacco beautifully and both compositions are hella underrated.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
I think the issue is perception here. A huge turn off for many is the price for 15ml bottles but what they don’t realize is Ahmed simply takes the exact same amount of material that would be in a 3gram Attar bottle and adds perfumers alcohol to it in order to make it sprayable. It’s the exact same amount of material as the Attar format but for whatever reason people assume it’s overcharging. The biggest complaint I see is “why is this $250 for 15ml?” And it’s slightly disheartening because I really do feel like Ahmed is a wonderful perfumer putting out amazing products. Some I like more than others but the perception of his Extraits verse Attars kinda hinders his sales a bit for those that stick to spray format only.

No one bats an eye at sultan pasha’s pricing and rightfully so. However if Sultan Pasha added 12ml’s of alcohol in a spray bottle to make his Attars sprayable and still charged $350-400 I think the same complaints would happen. Taha also experienced this same complaint as well. Thankfully there’s only been three compositions of Ahmed’s that I downright disliked. Everything else has either been likes or loves.

Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme is the perfect compliment to Mythique. Both of which show tobacco beautifully and both compositions are hella underrated.

Very insightful. Tough market in so many ways. A sample of Mythique is heading my way. Looks like a winner but his stock is very low so I might miss the current batch. I have been leaning more and more to attars so I was missing the spray/cost dynamic. Thank you for posting.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
Elixir Attars.jpg

Received a few goodies from Elixir. Packaging has been updated, at least on the newest releases (and on an Iris Chypre that snuck in). Gone are the engraved bottles and jazzy leather and gold thread wrapped caps. In are better finished stock bottles with hand engraved caps. Probably better for the contents but at the cost of the hand finished character of the previous bottles. 1 ml versions of the two new Ghaliya have robust thermal borosilicate laboratory HPLC vials. They are like vaults for their precious contents. Zero leakage and near perfect for getting the most from the vial without wastage. Musk Extreme Solide AlGhaliya Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique on the left, Ghaliyah Rouge on the right. Plenty of musk grains and other goodies in sediment form means lots of agitation needed before application. Ghaliyah Rouge is best of this show. The Kinam Rouge Oud from Ensar Oud is in play from the opening, to my nose, and it leads a parade of notes that have to be experienced to appreciate. It would take several wearing and dedicated note taking to get a handle on Ghaliya Rouge... but I would sum it up succinctly. If you could have only one scent, this one could be it. The Musk Extreme Solide has an intimidating description relative to the powerhouse that is its cousin. Fear not, Musk lovers, five times the musk and it remains very pleasant and wearable. For those into Attars Elixir is on a roll with recent releases.

Aug 5, 2020
Mythique is definitely one of my favourite attar of all times, I sampled several attar for eg, Sicillian Vanilla and Tabac Grande, Mythique won my heart, I m waiting my Baque arrived to make comparison, I m thinking to buy Mythique extrait or Edp after I try the baque. I heard Mythique extrait Mr Ahmed put lots of Mythique attar into the composition.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
Hey U2u , you one go buying so much? How is the ghaliya rouge and Musk extreme solids, are they redundant to own both ??

Both are very very good. I am a big fan of these as they are so well composed. Not redundant to own both in my view. Each provides a unique experience and they represent the best of my collection.
I can see why Mythique is a favourite for you. I am enjoying a sample and hope to have a bottle one day. Love the opening and how it shifts during dry down. Top tier all the way.

Aug 5, 2020
Thanks bro for giving your take on it. I really interested in extreme musk solide ghaliya, I am huge fan of heavy deer musk.

Just drop order of Ghaliya rosarie, anyone who owned the previous batch? How is it in your guy opinion?

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
Thanks bro for giving your take on it. I really interested in extreme musk solide ghaliya, I am huge fan of heavy deer musk.

Just drop order of Ghaliya rosarie, anyone who owned the previous batch? How is it in your guy opinion?

I had it and sold it. I really like how high quality you could tell the materials are; unfortunately, performance on my skin was pretty abysmal. It's heartbreaking too, because the scent is so refined, but it was too much money to keep as a skin scent.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018

I think my biggest issue with the price for 15ml spray is that i just wont get as much enjoyment out of it as i will 3ml of an attar. I will likely overspray and the 15ml will be gone in 6-12 months, while 3ml of an attar will last me multiple years, unless its one i wear A LOT. I do understand about the same amount of materials being used though, it makes sense.

I noticed today my supply of Iris Chypre is dwindling badly, so i ordered more. Also got 1ml of Nahawand I and Mythique, as well as samples of Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme and Spirit of the Hellenic Republic. Havent tried any of them previously, besides the iris chypre obviously.

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Heartbroken. I finally got my nose on Iris Chypre, which I've been wanting to try forever, and it smells heavenly, but jasmine happens to be kryptonite for my head and it always gives me headaches. So now I have this BDSM relationship with Iris Chypre where it smells so good I keep going back in to smell it even though every sniff zings my cranium. Sad!

Balushi

Apr 19, 2020
Did anyone try Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique, can you share your thoughts on it and whether it reminds of any other Ghaliyahs?

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
Did anyone try Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare Fleuri Et Animalique, can you share your thoughts on it and whether it reminds of any other Ghaliyahs?

I haven't tried other Galiyahs from Ahmed, but I did try Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare. And purchased 3 grams soon after. On my skin, and to my nose, it is a beautiful floral-animalic attar. It starts off with a big floral bouquet that is soon joined by the animalic notes. The Ambergris is the most noticeable note in the composition to me. Very present from start to finish. The Musk is also there. Floral notes are difficult to separate, but I mostly pick up Lilacs, Fresia, Lily of the Valley, Gardenia. I do not get any Rose. Which is a good thing, as I already own several Rose-based perfumes. What I love the most about it is how the animalic elements work together with the florals. It almost feels like the Florals breath, have flesh and skin. Sweaty floarlas, very carnal. It is a gorgeous and unique composition, as well as very high quality.

Jan 25, 2020
viking fan anyone ?

Niflheim
Niflheim, the higher realms of Yggdrasil and Valhalla.

Typically, perfumes at Elixir Attar are meant to tell a story, they are not simply a “mixture” of ingredients that should smell good. The story should smell good, thats how we do it at Elixir Attar, and also unique, as well as beautiful.

We have released perfumes based on Japanese incense formulas, Arabian and Persian formulas, as well as Ghaliyas and French based formulas. The challenge however is to come up with a new perfume that is unique, not based on any certain school of perfumery, and reflects the story you want to tell in very precise manner.

Niflheim is based on Norse mythology, a topic that i always found interesting since childhood. Some of you may think that Kalevala was based on Norse mythology, and thats because this area of the world is very un-studied), however, Finnish Gothic mythology is not even remotely related to Norse mythology, related only by proximity of geographical location, its a totally different realm. So Niflheim is our first - and wont be our last- perfume that is based exclusively on Norse mythology.

Vikings used to burn incense in ritual ceremonies and their connection to the spiritual was always full of incense. According to the formulas and reconstructions of anthropologists and historians, Vikings used to burn lavender, firs, flowers, honey, dragons’ blood resins, and oddly enough, dried garlic.

The term Niflheim is a state that Vikings believed to be a state of “hell” in the afterlife, and oddly enough, it was freezing cold, but full of despair, and the inner self of the ones who end up there would be burning. After months of contemplating a name that can work well enough for a perfume based on Norse mythology, i couldn't come up with a better name for it, and here it is, Niflheim.

The perfume is a story of struggle, and here it is a story of the struggle between notes, spiciness and coolness, hotness and coldness, in perfume terms that translate to the following olfactory description:

top notes

pepper, lavender, fir balsam, spearmint

middle notes

honey, rose, tolu balsam

basenotes

Lots of ambergris, roasted seashells, dragons blood, oud (an accord of various ouds to give a smokey resinous drydown), fir balsam smoke tincture

Of course this list of notes is not a comprehensive list of the ingredients used, its full of twists and turns and it smells incredibly unique and smooth and one great experience)

Jed Or Alive

Nov 8, 2019
viking fan anyone ?

Niflheim

Niflheim sounds pretty interesting. You don't see too many Norse inspired perfumes.

Also, did anyone order the Sealed Essence exclusive Amalur Imperiale? From the notes list it sounds like the original Amalur but with the addition of ambergris, hyrax, leather. Unfortunately the samples are sold out and I never got a chance to try the original Amalur, so a bit hesitant to blind buy.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
viking fan anyone ?

Niflheim
Niflheim, the higher realms of Yggdrasil and Valhalla.

Typically, perfumes at Elixir Attar are meant to tell a story, they are not simply a “mixture” of ingredients that should smell good. The story should smell good, thats how we do it at Elixir Attar, and also unique, as well as beautiful.

We have released perfumes based on Japanese incense formulas, Arabian and Persian formulas, as well as Ghaliyas and French based formulas. The challenge however is to come up with a new perfume that is unique, not based on any certain school of perfumery, and reflects the story you want to tell in very precise manner.

Niflheim is based on Norse mythology, a topic that i always found interesting since childhood. Some of you may think that Kalevala was based on Norse mythology, and thats because this area of the world is very un-studied), however, Finnish Gothic mythology is not even remotely related to Norse mythology, related only by proximity of geographical location, its a totally different realm. So Niflheim is our first - and wont be our last- perfume that is based exclusively on Norse mythology.

Vikings used to burn incense in ritual ceremonies and their connection to the spiritual was always full of incense. According to the formulas and reconstructions of anthropologists and historians, Vikings used to burn lavender, firs, flowers, honey, dragons’ blood resins, and oddly enough, dried garlic.

The term Niflheim is a state that Vikings believed to be a state of “hell” in the afterlife, and oddly enough, it was freezing cold, but full of despair, and the inner self of the ones who end up there would be burning. After months of contemplating a name that can work well enough for a perfume based on Norse mythology, i couldn't come up with a better name for it, and here it is, Niflheim.

The perfume is a story of struggle, and here it is a story of the struggle between notes, spiciness and coolness, hotness and coldness, in perfume terms that translate to the following olfactory description:

top notes

pepper, lavender, fir balsam, spearmint

middle notes

honey, rose, tolu balsam

basenotes

Lots of ambergris, roasted seashells, dragons blood, oud (an accord of various ouds to give a smokey resinous drydown), fir balsam smoke tincture

Of course this list of notes is not a comprehensive list of the ingredients used, its full of twists and turns and it smells incredibly unique and smooth and one great experience)

I just pre-ordered this and I am extremely excited. The notes sound North Sea icy blast like even the roasted seashells.and dragons blood put a different dynamic on things.

Iris Chypre is a fantastic blend from the house that I just was fortunate to receive this past week.. I am very eager to try more. Any personal suggestions to try next?

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
Iris Chypre is a fantastic blend from the house that I just was fortunate to receive this past week.. I am very eager to try more. Any personal suggestions to try next?

Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare. Stunning Animalic-Floral, heavy on the ambergris.
Need to try Iris Chypre, as I love both Iris and Chypre compositions. However, I have Iris Silver Mist and that one is just such a perfect Iris composition for me that I tend to avoid anything else with Iris. It's cold and austere, metallic, vegetal, damp, only sadness, just how I like Iris to be. Can't stand most Iris compositions, but this one really sings to me.

Balushi

Apr 19, 2020
Need to try Iris Chypre, as I love both Iris and Chypre compositions. However, I have Iris Silver Mist and that one is just such a perfect Iris composition for me that I tend to avoid anything else with Iris. It's cold and austere, metallic, vegetal, damp, only sadness, just how I like Iris to be. Can't stand most Iris compositions, but this one really sings to me.

Got this one last week, stunning attar indeed. Have you tried Thebes by Sultan Pasha? it somehow matches your description of ISM: cold, metallic and somehow sad.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013

Thanks I wondered about Al-Ghaliyah Bulgare sadly the samples were out at Lucky Scent when I purchased Iris Chypre. I will try to get one from Ahmed's site directly then. I had that feeling that this could be his best composition due to the ingredients listed and when I checked the price point it was higher than his norm.

Yes, Iris Chypre had a cult following and for very good reason.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
20210616_180213_resized.jpg

Look what happened to my 30ml Ghaliyah Diarrhea....I mean Rosarie, it has got to be some of the most unprofessional artisan bottle I have ever seen, I paid $350 for it back in last October, the cheap metal plating fell off few months ago, the whole thing look like it was something came out of garage yard sale that somebody threw into the trash, or from the 50 cents bin at the Salvation Army flea market......smh.

brylaney

Jul 21, 2010
View attachment 156103

Look what happened to my 30ml Ghaliyah Diarrhea....I mean Rosarie, it has got to be some of the most unprofessional artisan bottle I have ever seen, I paid $350 for it back in last October, the cheap metal plating fell off few months ago, the whole thing look like it was something came out of garage yard sale that somebody threw into the trash, or from the 50 cents bin at the Salvation Army flea market......smh.

Does it smell good?

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
Thebes is definitely on my list as well. Thinking to get 1ml blind.

I second this recommendation. We have similar tastes in iris - I like it cold, dry, and sad. Thebes I and ISM are two of the best in this genre, and some other all-timers are Iris Nazarena (if you can find it) and Djedi (which you can find if you're willing to pay a fortune). Iris Chypre is to me a different kind of fragrance, it's also sad and dry, but it's a warm fragrance, and the jasmine is as much a star as the iris.

Edit: also, vintage Apres L'Ondee parfum (not the edt) fits the same bill. Beautiful beautiful.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I second this recommendation. We have similar tastes in iris - I like it cold, dry, and sad. Thebes I and ISM are two of the best in this genre, and some other all-timers are Iris Nazarena (if you can find it) and Djedi (which you can find if you're willing to pay a fortune). Iris Chypre is to me a different kind of fragrance, it's also sad and dry, but it's a warm fragrance, and the jasmine is as much a star as the iris.

100% agree. I love Iris Chypre but I certainly get as much jasmine(and maybe some Ylang and Champa?) as I do Iris.

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019

Edit: also, vintage Apres L'Ondee parfum (not the edt) fits the same bill. Beautiful beautiful.

I think I'll get Thebes then:)). I adore Iris Silver Mist. So poetic. I have an old bell jar and can't find another these days and not willing to pay an arm for it. I'll probably ask Sultan for a sample of Irisoir, although that one seems to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Going back to Elixir. I'm waiting for O Kaori to come up and I'll ask Ahmed for a sample of Iris Chypre as well. I hear lots of good stuff about it.

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020
I think I'll get Thebes then:)). I adore Iris Silver Mist. So poetic. I have an old bell jar and can't find another these days and not willing to pay an arm for it. I'll probably ask Sultan for a sample of Irisoir, although that one seems to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Going back to Elixir. I'm waiting for O Kaori to come up and I'll ask Ahmed for a sample of Iris Chypre as well. I hear lots of good stuff about it.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Jan 27, 2019
Apologies for the plates falling off , this rarely happens, as for the bottles and presentation generally
, We have been working on the bottles and labels and glue and everything is much better now, regarding the presence of oud in it, i assure you it has Oud Shuayb from Ensar as well as an Indian Vintage Kalakassi, however its a rose and musk centered perfume rather than oud centered so we wouldnt have made it oud based, or oud centered and call it Rosarie,

Jan 27, 2019
View attachment 156103

Apologies fot your experience sir
We have been working on improving the presentation and bottles and labels and glue and everything,
Now things are much better and we will always keep working on it,
Regarding Rosaries’ ingredients, i assure you that it has both Oud Shuayb and Vintage Hindi Kalakassi, however this isnt an oud centered perfume, its actually a rose and musk centered perfume.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Apologies for the plates falling off , this rarely happens, as for the bottles and presentation generally
, We have been working on the bottles and labels and glue and everything is much better now, regarding the presence of oud in it, i assure you it has Oud Shuayb from Ensar as well as an Indian Vintage Kalakassi, however its a rose and musk centered perfume rather than oud centered so we wouldnt have made it oud based, or oud centered and call it Rosarie,

Thank you for your great customer service all the way around. I am really impressed with your fragrances and the new edition Niflheim should arrive this week along with Spirit of Hellenic Republic. Can't wait to try Royal Luban sent today.

Jed Or Alive

Nov 8, 2019
Thank you for your great customer service all the way around. I am really impressed with your fragrances and the new edition Niflheim should arrive this week along with Spirit of Hellenic Republic. Can't wait to try Royal Luban sent today.

Elixir Attar has some of the best customer service in the business, hands down.

Very interested to hear your take on Niflheim; it sounds pretty unique.

Jan 27, 2019

Thank you so much))
At your service anytime
Will always strive to make cooler and better stuff������

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
I've finally had a chance to sample something from this house. Luckyscent has Mythique samples, came free with my RM3 bottle, and I'm much more interested in the sample than the bottle!

Mythique has the best coffee note I've ever tried. I'd say it is the only time a purported coffee note actually smells like coffee. I will spend some time with this sample, and will have to order some more, official samples, very soon.

Mythique reminds me of... breakfast xD I get a lot of coffee and syrup.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
From what I have tried Spirit of Hellanic Republic & the new Niflheim are outstanding. I do second Iris Chypre being also in the mix. I purchased that from Luckycent with the requested hopes of getting Mythique but they forgot to enclose it with my purchase. Since then I have purchased directly from Ahmed and have been very happy. Elixir as a house have some very impressive scents.

Latest News