Elixir Attars Discussion Thread

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
i put in for 15 ml, couldnt resist. almost went for 30 ml, but ive spent too much in the last month already...

I'll be very interested in what you think. Please post your thoughts back here when you've had a wearing.

Btw - They are out of 15ml botlles now.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
I love everything Ahmed is doing right now. I’m currently awaiting the arrival of Mythique, Cohiban coffee and Cohiban extreme. Has anyone had a chance to try the new version of Mythique yet?

litworth

Mar 6, 2010
The 1ml of Ghaliyat Tareeq Hareer that I purchased just arrived. Seems to contain good natural ingredients, but I don’t really like the scent profile. I suppose my nose isn’t sophisticated enough to appreciate it. It’s very middle eastern to me. I also tried the Iris Chypre and I liked it more than the other fragrance. With that being said, I’m not sure I would buy any more of that scent either. I have other fragrances in my inventory that travel the same road as Iris Chypre, which I like better than Iris Chypre; for example Roja’s Haute Luxe.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
The 1ml of Ghaliyat Tareeq Hareer that I purchased just arrived. Seems to contain good natural ingredients, but I don’t really like the scent profile. I suppose my nose isn’t sophisticated enough to appreciate it. It’s very middle eastern to me. I also tried the Iris Chypre and I liked it more than the other fragrance. With that being said, I’m not sure I would buy any more of that scent either. I have other fragrances in my inventory that travel the same road as Iris Chypre, which I like better than Iris Chypre; for example Roja’s Haute Luxe.

Yeah brother Elixir Attars is about as middle eastern as it gets. Every scent is an experience of middle eastern/Arabic culture. Ghaliyas are a traditional style Attar that feature Oud/sandalwood/musk. If you’re looking for authentic Arabic style perfumery Ahmed is that way to go. But if that’s not your jam I’ve noticed everything he does has a very Arabic vibe even if it’s not supposed to.

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
Yeah brother Elixir Attars is about as middle eastern as it gets. Every scent is an experience of middle eastern/Arabic culture. Ghaliyas are a traditional style Attar that feature Oud/sandalwood/musk. If you’re looking for authentic Arabic style perfumery Ahmed is that way to go. But if that’s not your jam I’ve noticed everything he does has a very Arabic vibe even if it’s not supposed to.

Can you believe that the the original 'Al-Ghaliyah' is thought to have consisted of only 3 ingredients:Musk, Ambergris and Ben/Moringa oil (carrier)? It was only later on that the notes of saffron, rose and oud were added to it.

How times have changed eh, with the relatively easy access to a whole multitude of notes at a click of a button!

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Can you believe that the the original 'Al-Ghaliyah' is thought to have consisted of only 3 ingredients:Musk, Ambergris and Ben/Moringa oil (carrier)? It was only later on that the notes of saffron, rose and oud were added to it.

How times have changed eh, with the relatively easy access to a whole multitude of notes at a click of a button!

Evolution is wild. That’s why I enjoy Arabic perfumery. I feel in some ways that even though Attars are no longer Attars, there’s still these little glimpses of ancient tradition that transcended mere aromatics and were cultural, economic, and above all else, spiritual.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Received 3ml’s of Mythique (2020 batch) yesterday. I was completely surprised at how much this smells like RPP Sicilian Vanilla but better. The opening saffron note overpowers the composition for a brief moment before quickly mellowing out to reveal a golden, delectable honeyed tobacco. This tobacco has a strong presence and it reveals different aspects. One moment it’s animalic cigar tobacco the next moment it switches to pipe tobacco. There’s an almost gourmand like quality in the first 15 minutes that smells identical to Sicilian Vanilla’s (2020 batch) berry flavored puff pastry but where SV is gourmand this shifts into a deeper tobacco and floral vibe. It goes through a lot of changes rather quickly but the saffron remains throughout the wearing.

Overall if your a fan of Tabac Grande and Sicilian Vanilla you’ll love Mythique. It’s a solid merging of the two.

I also received Cohiban Coffee and Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme. I need to let these settle but I’m afraid CCOE falls into note soup territory and feels cluttered whereas Cohiban Coffee is much more coherent and has a beautiful Jasmine, honey and tobacco note which I find absolutely stunning. It’s wearable but not quite gourmand and I like that.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Received 3ml’s of Mythique (2020 batch) yesterday. I was completely surprised at how much this smells like RPP Sicilian Vanilla but better. The opening saffron note overpowers the composition for a brief moment before quickly mellowing out to reveal a golden, delectable honeyed tobacco. This tobacco has a strong presence and it reveals different aspects. One moment it’s animalic cigar tobacco the next moment it switches to pipe tobacco. There’s an almost gourmand like quality in the first 15 minutes that smells identical to Sicilian Vanilla’s (2020 batch) berry flavored puff pastry but where SV is gourmand this shifts into a deeper tobacco and floral vibe. It goes through a lot of changes rather quickly but the saffron remains throughout the wearing.

Overall if your a fan of Tabac Grande and Sicilian Vanilla you’ll love Mythique. It’s a solid merging of the two.

I also received Cohiban Coffee and Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme. I need to let these settle but I’m afraid CCOE falls into note soup territory and feels cluttered whereas Cohiban Coffee is much more coherent and has a beautiful Jasmine, honey and tobacco note which I find absolutely stunning. It’s wearable but not quite gourmand and I like that.

I blind bought the Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme during the sale he had recently and was extremely underwhelmed by it. Same impression as you, muddy, indistinct note soup. Honestly, the closest thing I can describe it to is a melted Tootsie Roll. I'm thinking about aging it for a bit and seeing where it is this time next year. On the other hand, Fume Royale came as a sample and I though that was great.

When Elixer is on, they're amazing but I've found them to be a lot more "hit or miss" than someone like Sultan Pasha for a similar price point. I similarly found Mellifluence "hit or miss" but I didn't mind that, at the lower price point. Overall, I'm glad I've had the opportunity to sample these attars and Iris Chypre makes me sure that great things will continue coming from this small house!

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
I blind bought the Cohiban Coffee Oud Extreme during the sale he had recently and was extremely underwhelmed by it. Same impression as you, muddy, indistinct note soup. Honestly, the closest thing I can describe it to is a melted Tootsie Roll. I'm thinking about aging it for a bit and seeing where it is this time next year. On the other hand, Fume Royale came as a sample and I though that was great.

When Elixer is on, they're amazing but I've found them to be a lot more "hit or miss" than someone like Sultan Pasha for a similar price point. I similarly found Mellifluence "hit or miss" but I didn't mind that, at the lower price point. Overall, I'm glad I've had the opportunity to sample these attars and Iris Chypre makes me sure that great things will continue coming from this small house!

Iris Chypre is just fantastic, isnt it? I shouldve bought more when i put in my order for ghaliya rosarie

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

Yeah the note soup is something I’ve noticed shows up a lot in the Attar game. But you’re right. It’s hit or miss. I’ve finally really come around to Amular after letting it sit awhile. Fumeé Royal is fantastic, Spirit of Japan and Mythique are my favorites right now. I will say that Cohiban Coffee is MUCH more coherent. The opening is all honey and white florals which is pretty fantastic. I really feel like CCOE was a step back to appease the Oud hungry crowd.

I’ve noticed with Sultan Pasha the blending is superb. He’s just a step above the rest in my opinion. I feel like Ahmed is getting better with each release so I’m hoping Rose Ghaliya will end up being a real winner. For now Mythique is that perfect Attar. Probably my top 3 right now.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Yeah the note soup is something I’ve noticed shows up a lot in the Attar game. But you’re right. It’s hit or miss. I’ve finally really come around to Amular after letting it sit awhile. Fumeé Royal is fantastic, Spirit of Japan and Mythique are my favorites right now. I will say that Cohiban Coffee is MUCH more coherent. The opening is all honey and white florals which is pretty fantastic. I really feel like CCOE was a step back to appease the Oud hungry crowd.

I’ve noticed with Sultan Pasha the blending is superb. He’s just a step above the rest in my opinion. I feel like Ahmed is getting better with each release so I’m hoping Rose Ghaliya will end up being a real winner. For now Mythique is that perfect Attar. Probably my top 3 right now.

Really looking forward to hearing about Rose Ghaliya from everyone.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Apparently it’s sold out. But very nice — top notes are candy sweet. I like the rose musk and ambergris in it. Can’t fully detect everything going on. Would really like to know what the top notes are.

Here’s my notes from it including the actual note listing from the site copy and pasted and then my thoughts on it!

Top notes : Tea, frankincense, almonds, saffron •
Middle notes: Several types of rose, jasmines, gardenia absolute

Basenotes: Oud, musk, vanilla, Gurjum, immortelle, resins, balsams

Overall Fumée Royale is a golden, honeyed, resinous Attar with elements of the earth and dry woods. This has the feel of ceremonial incense in the Hindu tradition. When I walk into the ashrama I’m often greeted with an amalgamation of scent from perfumed women, incense, flower offerings, sweets, spices, and human musk. Fumée Royale captures this essence. It never veers into gourmand territory but the warmth from the resinous vanilla, Oud and musk envelops you in a cloud of golden sunshine.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
Spirit of Arabia has such a nice traditional Bakhoor feel to it. I really enjoy how dusty, dry, spicy, and incense laden it is.

I definitely enjoyed it, iris chypre is still my favorite of his but spirit of japan is a very close 2nd. i also really like the aventus attar, much more than actual aventus.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
So, has anyone tried Ghaliya Rosarie yet? I got mine few days ago and find it pretty enjoyable on first few wearings. I like the balance between the bright roses and other darker elements such as deer musk and hindi oud, without them overpowering each other. Interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

Mesirlou

Apr 13, 2020
So, has anyone tried Ghaliya Rosarie yet? I got mine few days ago and find it pretty enjoyable on first few wearings. I like the balance between the bright roses and other darker elements such as deer musk and hindi oud, without them overpowering each other. Interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

Had a couple of wearings. Feels like walking thru a rose garden just after a heavy downpour. Will let it sit in the bottle for a few months before trying it again.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Let me know what are your thoughts when your order arrives. Still on the fence for this one.

One thing I can say with confidence is that Ahmed does tobacco really well! If you’re on the fence I’d say go for it. I haven’t been let down with his tobacco scents but they do lean a bit muddy in the openings. My only complaint with Mythique, Cohiban and Cohiban Oud extreme is that the openings are insanely muddy for the first 15 minutes before working themselves out. Mythique is current favorite tobacco Attar and Gentlemen’s club seems like a sprayable version of Mythique without the massive dose of musk grains and saffron.

Mesirlou

Apr 13, 2020
One thing I can say with confidence is that Ahmed does tobacco really well! If you’re on the fence I’d say go for it. I haven’t been let down with his tobacco scents but they do lean a bit muddy in the openings. My only complaint with Mythique, Cohiban and Cohiban Oud extreme is that the openings are insanely muddy for the first 15 minutes before working themselves out. Mythique is current favorite tobacco Attar and Gentlemen’s club seems like a sprayable version of Mythique without the massive dose of musk grains and saffron.

I see. I’m only afraid it will be too sweet based on the notes. I have Amalur and RG from Ahmed. Love them both.

Mesirlou

Apr 13, 2020
That sounds incredible. If this scent was captured in a bottle I would definitely pick it up!

Sometimes theres a slight animalic touch on the top notes, but it doesn’t stay Long. Every time I’m bored I’ll just open the cap and sniff from the bottle.

Anyway my bottle has some sediments, which I assume are musk grains. Will spray it a month later to see if the scent evolves

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Sometimes theres a slight animalic touch on the top notes, but it doesn’t stay Long. Every time I’m bored I’ll just open the cap and sniff from the bottle.

Anyway my bottle has some sediments, which I assume are musk grains. Will spray it a month later to see if the scent evolves

I love when you can see musk grains in their stuff. I have some spirit of Japan that’s loaded with musk grains it’s awesome!

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
My bottle comes with musk grains AND a strand of hair from the musk pods. Gotta say it gives off a more 'raw' and natural feeling to the composition, which i really appreciate. I was concerned that the hair might affect the juice, but Ahmed clarified that it won't, so that's fine by me.

Latest News