Elixir Attars Discussion Thread

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Ahmed has become a major force, quietly making exquisite attars and fragrances from Southern California.

He is different from, say, Sultan Pasha, in that he is using naturals exclusively, or almost exclusively, to my knowledge, and as such is more "ingredient" focused but with a bent to classical perfume structures, both in the French and in the Arabic traditions.

I have found Spirit of Persia, Iris Chypre and others to be just incredible. They have good longevity too.

Any other fans of this house?

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
is Elixir attars not based in California? It says that on their website, but i see my order just dispatched from Egypt...

Elixir.Attar

Jan 27, 2019
when i bought from him my order shipped from egypt as well

Hello Everyone on basenotes

🙂🙂

I am sorry i don't follow base-notes frequently, so answering the question about shipping from Egypt- i was there sourcing raw materials and visiting friend when all the coronavirus started and i travel around with Ghaliyat Tareeq Al Hareer and some other attars,

Thats why it shipped from Egypt as i was stuck there 💪🏻

Regards everyone

Stay safe and stay fragrant

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
my take on the ones ive tried

Floral Enfleurage bouquet - this was very different from what i was expecting. i was thinking it would be very flowery like something ive tried along the lines of bortnikoff or ensar's line. the flowers are not bright or punching at all. they are very smooth and as described "enfleurage oils are extremely low yield, extremely true smelling of the original rose/ and or flower" like smooth natural creamy flowers and green notes mixed in. not super strong in projection.

AlMajlis Fumée Royale - described as "incensey, smokey, musky, oudy, spicy, florals" - great description. my favorite of the ones ive tried. fantastic in my opinion. should make this into a extrait perfume in my opinion. the flowers blend so well with the spicy incense/oud that you hardly know they are there but at the same time you can tell they are in there.

Cohiban coffee oud extreme - a strong roasted coffee with burnt tobacco and incensy oud notes. this is very bright coffee. punches you right in the face from the opening. strong roasted coffee and with tobacco. i really liked it. smells like a turkish barista wearing incense roasting coffee beans that is about to light a fresh rolled cigarette next to a tray of desserts. in the drydown the coffee backs off and youre left with incensey woody oud. i liked this more than oud luwak but thats just my preference. i enjoy the boldness of the coffee in the opening.

Maqha Al-Sharq - description "Imagine yourself in an oriental/Turkish/Arabian coffee Shop surrounded by all the smells of desserts, homemade ice creams, coffee, and smoking pipes" hits the nail right on the head. very nice if youre a fan of gourmands.

HabibiGotIt

Apr 9, 2020

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
I've been trying Amalur

https://elixirattar.com/natural-perfume-&-incense?olsPage=products/amalur

It's quite good, a lot like Brindaban but cleaner. Early in the wearing but I really like it. It is crazy good as a recognizable chypre but with incredible quality blending and ingredients.

It’s interesting that you made the Brindaban connection with Amular. To my nose, this has more similarities with Amber Cologne than it does Brindaban. It’s all citrus/florals to my nose. Very bright, clean citrusy florals. I pick up alittle ambery sweetness in this base as well but I think I was expecting it to have that spicy, earthy oomph. I get a very classic, well blended chypre that wears surprisingly light for the ingredients used.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
Anyone who has tried Amalur, Cohiban Coffee, or Mythique in both their attar and EDP formats? How do they compare to each other? Thinking of getting the EDP versions, but curious about what their attar counterparts have that the EDP's don't, or vice versa.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Anyone who has tried Amalur, Cohiban Coffee, or Mythique in both their attar and EDP formats? How do they compare to each other? Thinking of getting the EDP versions, but curious about what their attar counterparts have that the EDP's don't, or vice versa.

I can tell you right now with Amular, it’s EDP version won’t change much. It’s a bright, citrusy, summery fragrance backed by oak moss. From start to finish it’s mainly citrusy lemon, orange, and tiny bit of bitter grapefruit. You’ll get some oakmoss in the drydown on top of an ambery base but you won’t find much difference between the edp and oil format.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
I can tell you right now with Amular, it’s EDP version won’t change much. It’s a bright, citrusy, summery fragrance backed by oak moss. From start to finish it’s mainly citrusy lemon, orange, and tiny bit of bitter grapefruit. You’ll get some oakmoss in the drydown on top of an ambery base but you won’t find much difference between the edp and oil format.

Thank you for your input, very well described. Bright and citrusy with an oak moss and amber base sounds right up my alley, and glad to know that the EDP and attar don't stray too much from each other scent wise.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Thank you for your input, very well described. Bright and citrusy with an oak moss and amber base sounds right up my alley, and glad to know that the EDP and attar don't stray too much from each other scent wise.

It’s a rather beautiful, clean, vintage scent. I highly recommend it. I was thrown off a bit when I first smelled it because my expectations were something earthy, spicy, and masculine but what it ended up being was simply beautiful. If you’ve smelled Amber Cologne it’s very similar but without heavy white florals. You get a nice lemony/citrus opening that segues into an mossy/cooling base. I was surprised at how formal this ended up being.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
So there was a massive sale (40% off) few days ago for Cohiban Coffee, Cohiban Coffee Oud, Maqha Al-Sharq, and Halawiyyat Sharqiyya. Almost pulled the trigger to get a bottle of CC EDP as the notes seem really interesting, but held back in the last minute as I have not seen any discussion on it before, nor any reviews speaking of it. Figured that blind buying without any inputs from anyone would be a risky move for me.

Which brings me to this: Has anyone here tried Cohiban Coffee before? Would be great to hear some opinions on it. Same goes to Maqha Al-Sharq and Halawiyyat Sharqiyya, as they both seem nice as well.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
A lot of the best compositions often have very little people talking about them. Hype doesn’t always equal a better product. There wasn’t anybody talking about Dixit and Zak when they released their now sought after first collection but with Elixir Attars there are people that talk about several of his Attars being some of the best out there. That’s a pretty good indicator you’ll get something that’s high quality at the very least. Sales are the best times for blind buys. I think a Cohiban Coffee was like $80 for 3ml with the sale. You can’t go wrong with that.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
A lot of the best compositions often have very little people talking about them. Hype doesn’t always equal a better product. There wasn’t anybody talking about Dixit and Zak when they released their now sought after first collection but with Elixir Attars there are people that talk about several of his Attars being some of the best out there. That’s a pretty good indicator you’ll get something that’s high quality at the very least. Sales are the best times for blind buys. I think a Cohiban Coffee was like $80 for 3ml with the sale. You can’t go wrong with that.

Agree that often times excellent products don't get hyped up as much as those from well known houses. At the moment I am eyeing on Amalur, but will probably get it when it is on sale. As for Cohiban Coffee, it was $126 for the 15ml bottle EDP, and while not prohibitively expensive, I just couldn't bring myself to blind buy it with no others sharing their actual experience on this. Thinking back, maybe I should've gotten the 1ml size at $40 after discount, along with a bunch of others to try for myself. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next sales then, hopefully during Thanksgiving or Black Friday.

ausphil

Nov 4, 2014
Damn completely forgot about Elixir Attars sale. I was going to pickup Cohiban Coffee. Didn't realise it came in EDP otherwise I would have blind bought that. Fougere Kosmos Del Emila also looks great in EDP.

Does anyone know if Amalur is short batch or if it can be recreated. If its an ongoing line, Ill wait for a sale otherwise might need to pick up a bottle at retail. I thought I read somewhere it was only made in limited quantities but can't seem to find the post anywhere so I probably dreamt it.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Damn completely forgot about Elixir Attars sale. I was going to pickup Cohiban Coffee. Didn't realise it came in EDP otherwise I would have blind bought that. Fougere Kosmos Del Emila also looks great in EDP.

Does anyone know if Amalur is short batch or if it can be recreated. If its an ongoing line, Ill wait for a sale otherwise might need to pick up a bottle at retail. I thought I read somewhere it was only made in limited quantities but can't seem to find the post anywhere so I probably dreamt it.

They make new batches whenever compositions run out. Thankfully Elixir Attars doesn’t work on the whole “fomo” marketing that seems to be synonymous with natural houses these days.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
This one sounds really good. I'm happy strifeknot is splitting it.

Ghalia Rosarie

We are glad to present to you our first spray Ghaliya type perfume. When we say Ghaliya we make sure that it has the most artisanal and rarest of the rare ingredients. A great deal of planning, care, and effort was put into this first spray perfume of ours to make a Ghaliya spray perfume that is so unique, rich, and special that is as strong as its oil counterpart.

Ghalia Rosarie is at a whopping 30% concentration of oils not calculating the deer musk and ambergris tinctures, or the saffron and frankincense resins.

Ghalia Rosarie has 5 type of Roses macerated with Kashmiri deer musk for 2 years, therefore the name Rosarie (Rose Garden), but not just any rose, Taif Rose, Hindi Rose, Omani Rose, Persian Rose, and Turkish Rose. Now rose otto essential oil is one thing, but these aged-musk infused artisanal distillations transform the rose into heights never before attempted in any type of perfumery.

It has a base alcohol tincture that has a whopping 25% Mongolian and Chinese musk grains in it, in addition to a 10% super-white Celtic ambergris tincture from the famous Coronation ambergris. Now some houses use musk tinctures, never at these percentages, and never musk and ambergris together��

Frangipiani and Heliotrope enfleurage oils are used in very generous quantities to complement the floral bouquet heart of this Ghaliya. They work like magic with the musky rose accord. Elixir Attar is known for utilizing the uber- niche floral enfleurage oils, never before utilized in perfumery the way its done at Elixir Attar.

As for Arabian spices used, we extracted saffron the finest grade quality saffron worldwide which comes from a region bordering between Afghanistan and Iran. We also used specially molecular distillation medicinal grade Hojari frankincense to add a spicy touch to the sweet heart.

There is a touch of a vintage Mysore sandalwood oil, for a creamy, buttery animalic drydown that is exquisite and aphrodisiac.

Speaking of the ouds used,

It has a mixture of a very aged Indian private reserve Kalakassi and Hindi Ensar ouds, with a touch of Oud Shuayb from Manipur, which is a personal favorite and fuses seamlessly with the musk-rich animalic notes of Ghaliya Rosarie.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
This one sounds really good. I'm happy strifeknot is splitting it.

Ghalia Rosarie

We are glad to present to you our first spray Ghaliya type perfume. When we say Ghaliya we make sure that it has the most artisanal and rarest of the rare ingredients. A great deal of planning, care, and effort was put into this first spray perfume of ours to make a Ghaliya spray perfume that is so unique, rich, and special that is as strong as its oil counterpart.

Ghalia Rosarie is at a whopping 30% concentration of oils not calculating the deer musk and ambergris tinctures, or the saffron and frankincense resins.

Ghalia Rosarie has 5 type of Roses macerated with Kashmiri deer musk for 2 years, therefore the name Rosarie (Rose Garden), but not just any rose, Taif Rose, Hindi Rose, Omani Rose, Persian Rose, and Turkish Rose. Now rose otto essential oil is one thing, but these aged-musk infused artisanal distillations transform the rose into heights never before attempted in any type of perfumery.

It has a base alcohol tincture that has a whopping 25% Mongolian and Chinese musk grains in it, in addition to a 10% super-white Celtic ambergris tincture from the famous Coronation ambergris. Now some houses use musk tinctures, never at these percentages, and never musk and ambergris together��

Frangipiani and Heliotrope enfleurage oils are used in very generous quantities to complement the floral bouquet heart of this Ghaliya. They work like magic with the musky rose accord. Elixir Attar is known for utilizing the uber- niche floral enfleurage oils, never before utilized in perfumery the way its done at Elixir Attar.

As for Arabian spices used, we extracted saffron the finest grade quality saffron worldwide which comes from a region bordering between Afghanistan and Iran. We also used specially molecular distillation medicinal grade Hojari frankincense to add a spicy touch to the sweet heart.

There is a touch of a vintage Mysore sandalwood oil, for a creamy, buttery animalic drydown that is exquisite and aphrodisiac.

Speaking of the ouds used,

It has a mixture of a very aged Indian private reserve Kalakassi and Hindi Ensar ouds, with a touch of Oud Shuayb from Manipur, which is a personal favorite and fuses seamlessly with the musk-rich animalic notes of Ghaliya Rosarie.

i put in for 15 ml, couldnt resist. almost went for 30 ml, but ive spent too much in the last month already...

Latest News