ebay no longer a good place for used bottles

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
ive notice a huge downturn in buying and selling used bottles on ebay this year as they push out the small sellers . manage payments , bank accounts and the irs and ss numbers , taxes dont work together to well for the small seller. where do you think they are going ? . what ive done is just be more careful with what i buy on there cause its harder to flip with no selling account

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I haven't noticed a big difference recently. As much as I buy on there, I've still never tried to sell anything.

I can't even go on eBay without finding something I want, so I've been avoiding it a bit.

Mostly recently, I was thinking I might need a fourth bottle of Givenchy Gentleman because one of the first three is getting low.

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
It probably stems from FDA requirements than anything else. The more they expect them to be enforced, the sooner they will clean up. I wished they had done something to clean up the fakes instead of moving them to Eastern Europe.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
It probably stems from FDA requirements than anything else. The more they expect them to be enforced, the sooner they will clean up. I wished they had done something to clean up the fakes instead of moving them to Eastern Europe.

That is what bothers me. I enjoyed eBay for the cheap used bottles, and it's not longer that, but okay it's their platform. However, the fact that they still allow the rampant fakes from Russian many which end up on this website, reddit, and I'm sure the facebook fragrance groups is frustrating. I'm not allowed to sell my legitimate bottle that's missing a few mls, but Vlad is allowed to sell his fake bottles as long as they're full?

Janjanjan

Oct 1, 2013
That is what bothers me. I enjoyed eBay for the cheap used bottles, and it's not longer that, but okay it's their platform. However, the fact that they still allow the rampant fakes from Russian many which end up on this website, reddit, and I'm sure the facebook fragrance groups is frustrating. I'm not allowed to sell my legitimate bottle that's missing a few mls, but Vlad is allowed to sell his fake bottles as long as they're full?

Wait, can you not sell used bottles on Ebay anymore? When did that happen?

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
You can no longer designate them as "used" in the description choices, but everybody still sells them anyway and just doesn't describe them as such.

Yup which I'll say again is a fantastic way to get scammed. Just a warning for anyone if you list a bottle as new, and it isn't new, it doesn't matter what the description says if the buyer files a claim they will win every time.

TheAntagonist

Apr 17, 2006
Yup which I'll say again is a fantastic way to get scammed. Just a warning for anyone if you list a bottle as new, and it isn't new, it doesn't matter what the description says if the buyer files a claim they will win every time.

Yep, when the change first came, had a jackass who took advantage of that loophoop despite me noticing its used in the description. Once received he tried to get some money back. I said you knew what he was doing and just asked for the return instead.

Renaissance_Man

Feb 26, 2006
ive notice a huge downturn in buying and selling used bottles on ebay this year as they push out the small sellers . manage payments , bank accounts and the irs and ss numbers , taxes dont work together to well for the small seller. where do you think they are going ? . what ive done is just be more careful with what i buy on there cause its harder to flip with no selling account

I haven't noticed a trend since I've been staying away to avoid buying. But yes, no more selling there for individuals like us. They just want to keep the large sellers with large dollar amounts who can absorb fraudulent buyers' claims and returns.

Mudassir

Jun 17, 2007
I haven't noticed a trend since I've been staying away to avoid buying. But yes, no more selling there for individuals like us. They just want to keep the large sellers with large dollar amounts who can absorb fraudulent buyers' claims and returns.

It goes both ways. I'd wager the number of fraudulent sellers are higher than the number of fraudulent buyers; and Ebay is just a small portion of it. In the past year, I myself have reported about a dozen shady websites to FBI. For new versus used, I'd give the buyers benefit of the doubt rather than dropping them into the bucket of fraudsters as not everybody reads the whole listing. It might be a matter of confirming they know what they bought, before completing the transaction. Even now when you search on google, you would find a few websites as top search results that you might have never heard of. For so long as unsuspecting buyers keep on looking for better deals rather than sources of those deals, frauds would keep on persisting. Sure it's easy to figure out $40 Tom Ford Tobbaco Oud 100ml shipped has to be a fake. But something that is priced 5-10% less than going price and outlet looking professional wouldn't register on the radar of most unsuspecting buyers.

Birdboy48

Jul 10, 2011
I've noticed a big downturn in partially used bottles as well. Which is a bummer, as that's the way I acquired a large number of the "original formulation" bottles in my collection. This was a while back of course, but it used to be about the only way to get ahold of all those good Lutens things from the late 1990's and 2000's at anything like reasonable prices.

Ingo Swan

Jul 25, 2021
This is a great thread. Now I know to avoid eBay.

I've been planning on posting to ebay but have been procrastinating, I'm now glad I did.

I've been wanting to purge a bunch of bottles I don't use anymore. Where is a good place to unload these?

Wild Gardener

Apr 26, 2013
The swaps on Fragrantica have been good in the past, but the price of postage is now prohibitive where I live and I've not used it for a while.

Latest News