Eau d'Hermes (Only Fans)

Rodolfo

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 2, 2008
I'm sorry because this comment is going to be a bit off-topic but I have often read in reviews that Hermes Epice Marine by JC Ellena shared certain similarities with our beloved Eau D'Hermes. I have never had the opportunity to smell Epice Marine; Anyone who has tried it find similarities?

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I'm sorry because this comment is going to be a bit off-topic but I have often read in reviews that Hermes Epice Marine by JC Ellena shared certain similarities with our beloved Eau D'Hermes. I have never had the opportunity to smell Epice Marine; Anyone who has tried it find similarities?
In my opinion the only similarity with the two are the spices, which is an Ellena signature. Epice Marine is cooking spices on top of a sweet modern fragrance, whereas Eau d'Hermes is spice on top of a eau de cologne. If you aren't into spicy fragrances, then I could see a nose saying they're similar due to the cardamom -- I don't particularly agree with that, although I will say you can certainly smell Ellena in them, as you can with Declaration. Eau d'Hermes has that nice musky animalic texture to it as well (especially in the modern bottles), whereas that's completely gone in Epice Marine. I went to a party once with a bunch of Hondurans, and the smell of all that perfume and cologne smelled exactly like Epice Marine, and it kinda makes me sick now. It's a really sweet fragrance once you get past the spices, and that sweet & spicy mixture doesn't work for me.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
In my opinion the only similarity with the two are the spices, which is an Ellena signature. Epice Marine is cooking spices on top of a sweet modern fragrance, whereas Eau d'Hermes is spice on top of a eau de cologne. If you aren't into spicy fragrances, then I could see a nose saying they're similar due to the cardamom -- I don't particularly agree with that, although I will say you can certainly smell Ellena in them, as you can with Declaration. Eau d'Hermes has that nice musky animalic texture to it as well (especially in the modern bottles), whereas that's completely gone in Epice Marine. I went to a party once with a bunch of Hondurans, and the smell of all that perfume and cologne smelled exactly like Epice Marine, and it kinda makes me sick now. It's a really sweet fragrance once you get past the spices, and that sweet & spicy mixture doesn't work for me.
Argh. Anything that's sweet is strictly off limits for me.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
There are more of us Eau d'Hermes freaks than I thought!

And, yes, I'm somewhat surprised to see how many people on BN like this one.

There are definitely a lot more fans now than there were just a few years ago. Eight or ten years ago, if I ranted about my love of it, I would often just get crickets except for a few of the hardcore, like Johnny_Ludlow and Purecaramel. Of course, I'm glad that appreciation of it has increased, but that's also bittersweet since it signals greater competition for vintage bottles. And while that might no longer be a consideration for me because my stockpile will certainly exceed my lifespan, I do regret that it means fewer newcomers will get to experience it.

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
Finally, my bottle arrived. Why did nobody ever tell me it was this good??!? It’s sharp, lively, refreshing and then it’s earthy and spicy and pungent… and then soft and tender. Holy mother of dragons, the cinnamon! In all of my life why did nobody ever recommend this as a cinnamon heavy perfume? It’s divine. It’s full of contrast and so amazing. I think I have been officially initiated into the fanclub now.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Finally, my bottle arrived. Why did nobody ever tell me it was this good??!? It’s sharp, lively, refreshing and then it’s earthy and spicy and pungent… and then soft and tender. Holy mother of dragons, the cinnamon! In all of my life why did nobody ever recommend this as a cinnamon heavy perfume? It’s divine. It’s full of contrast and so amazing. I think I have been officially initiated into the fanclub now.
Welcome to the Devil's Cologne coven.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Strongly contemplating a blind buy of the current formulation... now that I have accepted my love of cumin and all things spice, it seems almost criminal not to have this. Right? (This is what the devil on my shoulder keeps whispering, at least, as I hover over the 'buy' button.)

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Strongly contemplating a blind buy of the current formulation... now that I have accepted my love of cumin and all things spice, it seems almost criminal not to have this. Right? (This is what the devil on my shoulder keeps whispering, at least, as I hover over the 'buy' button.)
You won't regret it.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Surely you didn't post that with the expectation that anyone on this thread was going to try to discourage you?
:devilish:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Of course I gave in and bought one. I have the black cap / orange sticker version, and it's a fascinating little scent. At the same time, this is... quite weird! The citrus feels rounded and almost oily, and I adore the opening. The spice is quite a bit different than I was expecting. I definitely get cumin, maybe caraway and a touch of cardamom, but I'm not picking out any distinct cinnamon; certainly not the Big Red vibes some folks describe. The spice aspect is where I can see the slight similarity to something like Declaration.

The challenge comes with the animalics... I don't get "sex" or crotch funk per se. Now that I've worn this a few times, I think I'm getting some sweaty armpit from the cumin (which I can hang with) and a more challenging indolic note that sometimes jumps out in the wrong way, slightly fecal but not quite, more like... mild halitosis? I'm not sure if that's the civet note or perhaps an indolic jasmine. I get a similar, slightly lighter indolic note in Eau Sauvage, which makes me think it's the jasmine. This only happens for a brief window after the top citrus has quieted down and before it's fully dried down the base. I think I still like this despite the intense body smells, but this one is certainly expanding my sensibilities!

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
New here, and after reading this discussion I ordered a sample of this! I have to admit, I’m dying to try this, but I’m also a little bit…afraid? Weird.
Lol.....I know how you feel. After all my years of smelling fragrances, I've never smelled it, mainly because of so many descriptions similar to Toxicon's.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Lol.....I know how you feel. After all my years of smelling fragrances, I've never smelled it, mainly because of so many descriptions similar to Toxicon's.
Definitely worth sampling if you can find it. I was probably insane doing a blind buy, but I figured the bottle will hold its value if nothing else. I actually quite like it for what it is. One thing that helps - even when it gets funky, it's not all that strong. My bottle basically wears like an EDC padded out with leather & spice (and funk). Longevity is decent for an EDC style scent, but it's a skin scent for most of the ride.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
New here, and after reading this discussion I ordered a sample of this! I have to admit, I’m dying to try this, but I’m also a little bit…afraid? Weird.
It is at once more and less than you think. I remember at first spray thinking "oh this is it? smells fresh and surprisingly modern." But a subtle funk hums beneath. It is very light, not overtly animalic or challenging in the least, but the things it implies... could make you blush.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
It is at once more and less than you think. I remember at first spray thinking "oh this is it? smells fresh and surprisingly modern." But a subtle funk hums beneath. It is very light, not overtly animalic or challenging in the least, but the things it implies... could make you blush.
Good description. Have worn both copper and black cap a lot lately. Prefer the copper. It is a skosh "dirty" but it's not "OMG nasty" at all. There's just a hint of that.

I totally agree it is surprisingly modern.

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
I’m one of those people who mentioned strong cinnamon. I get everything @Toxicon described but to me it’s like all the individual notes, starting with the citrus opening and continuing with cumin are riding the cinnamon theme, making it a fresh spicy perfume in the first place and utterly wearable. The cumin is nowhere near as sweaty or animalic as I believed it would be. I get a faint whiff of worn underwear later, but it’s a far cry from anything really dirty. No indolic jasmine. The leather isn’t rough either.

Blind bought it last month btw. and no regrets.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
It may seem rather mild at first until the Animalic and Cumin rises to grab you by the....
It is a rare case where it inspires Hohum!
If you like Stink, you'll Love the Coppertop.
Earlier product is much more polite with a softer, Natural Civet and Gentler Cumin assault.
The Contemporary has an effect in the Middle of the above issues.
It uses a Synthetic Musk of today
and to my nose, a less complex texture. Still a wonderful scent overall.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
C'mon Red, you need to put on your big boy pants and give it a try.
My curiosity was definitely up there and I was ready to possibly even blind buy one of Mudassir's copper-top bottles. The reason I decided not to is because I ran across some information that compared Cartier Declaration to EdH. That got my attention, because Declaration has always been one of the top disgusting fragrances I've ever had the displeasure of smelling. I discussed it with several people on Basenotes, the majority of whom verified that if I didn't like Declaration, then it's very likely that I wouldn't like EdH. This, coupled with reports from numerous other fragrance lovers around here who also agree that EdH is vile-smelling, changed my mind about buying it blindly. I was very close to doing exactly that because of glowing reports from you and many others here who love it. I just had to try it! But when the odds are high that you WON'T like something instead of the other way around, I thought.....why waste the money?

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
That got my attention, because Declaration has always been one of the top disgusting fragrances I've ever had the displeasure of smelling.

Ohhh, that doesn't bode well for you liking EdH. I find them quite different, but there are enough similarities for it to be a red flag.

This, coupled with reports from numerous other fragrance lovers around here who also agree that EdH is vile-smelling, changed my mind about buying it blindly.

Yeah, you definitely should not be blind buying Edh. Sampling is required.

Latest News