Dua fragrances

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
The reviews are about to get real LOL!
A big Thank you to Dougczar, L’Homme Blanc Individual, Bigsly, Remik, and Ken_Russell for your participation!
I’ve got a couple more PM’s out and I’ll let you guys know who else is in when I receive their replies.
B178425B-BEEB-4D82-9D1D-E21478ED82F6.jpg
F9F7EE27-366E-4A9D-BC3A-D0FD42513889.jpg

Jul 7, 2012
LOL. just curious as to your reference to Aventus. Have you smelled either/both versions of Roja's Elysium? I personally was not a fan of Elysium when i tested it, and I have not smelled Supernova, however, shouldn't the comparison be between how close Supernova is to both Elysiums as opposed to Aventus?

I haven't sampled anything by Roja Dove yet.

I wasn't sampling Supernova for the sake of finding a cheaper Elysium. I'd just seen a bunch of reviews of Supernova & decided to try it for its own sake. I assume it's much closer to Elysium than Aventus, but like I said, I wasn't sampling it to find a cheaper Elysium. I was just trying it because I'm on the hunt for a summer citrus scent with an outstanding base. I wasn't comparing the scent overall to Aventus either. I was just commenting on the citrus/fruity top note in Supernova and used the Aventus apple/pineapple accord as a point of reference.

papillo

Aug 23, 2010
You just contradicted yourself, in the sense that nearly all mass market fragrances are just that; they might have a "good nose" do something with those aroma chemicals/bases, but it's mostly variations on a theme (getting their stuff from IFF, etc.). Sometimes a perfumer will overload the scent with an aroma chemical, such as with the amount of dihydromyrcenol in Cool Water, or a new one will be used, but there aren't many really novel compositions. Some have claimed an oily residue with DUA scents, and that suggests something different, namely all or partially a "dupe oil" being present. And getting some aroma chemicals from IFF, etc. and trying to "dupe" Tom Ford's most popular scents are two entirely different things, especially with the kind of output there has been from DUA and Alexandria. All indicators point to a "repackaging job," IMO.

i agree but dua hardly qualifies as mass market. i also agree that its likely he is most likely diluting pre-made clone oils simply because of the sheer number of products and the time it takes him to get it to market after a release. Speaking of tom ford wouldn't the same accusation hold for something like Italian Cypress and Neroli Portofino?

papillo

Aug 23, 2010
I haven't sampled anything by Roja Dove yet.

I wasn't sampling Supernova for the sake of finding a cheaper Elysium. I'd just seen a bunch of reviews of Supernova & decided to try it for its own sake. I assume it's much closer to Elysium than Aventus, but like I said, I wasn't sampling it to find a cheaper Elysium. I was just trying it because I'm on the hunt for a summer citrus scent with an outstanding base. I wasn't comparing the scent overall to Aventus either. I was just commenting on the citrus/fruity top note in Supernova and used the Aventus apple/pineapple accord as a point of reference.

Got you.

seekritdude

Jun 17, 2012
Why dont people just smell the original scents from them if they are so concerned about the clones? Thats what I did. Clones don't interest me in general so i just smelled some of the originals. Some smelled pretty good to me, others not so much. But say off hand that camp du felicite although discontinued now if I had more money for this hobby deff would have bought a full bottle of. A few others smelled good to me as well like I said so if the clone part is the problem.. why not just smell the other stuff?

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
i agree but dua hardly qualifies as mass market. i also agree that its likely he is most likely diluting pre-made clone oils simply because of the sheer number of products and the time it takes him to get it to market after a release. Speaking of tom ford wouldn't the same accusation hold for something like Italian Cypress and Neroli Portofino?

It might be if TF claimed he was the perfumer and doing everything else as well (perhaps with a few other people in total), but he's a creative director and we know he must be using the big companies. He doesn't have his own laboratory (for this purpose), right? And if he sold his name, like many others (Perry Ellis, for example), then it's a company like 5 Star that bought the rights to the name and they use their own labs to make the fragrances (at least in some cases).

rickyv166

Sep 2, 2016
Just saw reviews on YouTube just now ..... Lol

First Bottom Note.... Then Horror Scents.. And now Ashton

It's about to get REAL!!!

khuss21

Jun 24, 2016
I've tried samples of some stuff from the house before and found them to be awful, especially the Uden clone. Tried the Elysium clone today...and I must say it is REALLY darn similar on my skin. Elysium (cologne) manages to have a clean freshness throughout the entire wear even 8 hours deep into the base and DUA falls off eventually, but for a good 4-6 hours these two are like brothers. Without burying my nose into my skin I would be hard pressed to differentiate either. Could absolutely see why someone looking for a fresh summer scent would choose to pick this up instead of Elysium to justify spending. Myself personally I admit, I will be using this clone for this summer until I save enough to get the Roja eventually, but I guess that is just the fraghead in me wanting the best there is, the original composition, to appreciate the art...but that is seperate from reviewing objectively based on scent alone imo.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I've tried samples of some stuff from the house before and found them to be awful, especially the Uden clone. Tried the Elysium clone today...and I must say it is REALLY darn similar on my skin. Elysium (cologne) manages to have a clean freshness throughout the entire wear even 8 hours deep into the base and DUA falls off eventually, but for a good 4-6 hours these two are like brothers. Without burying my nose into my skin I would be hard pressed to differentiate either. Could absolutely see why someone looking for a fresh summer scent would choose to pick this up instead of Elysium to justify spending. Myself personally I admit, I will be using this clone for this summer until I save enough to get the Roja eventually, but I guess that is just the fraghead in me wanting the best there is, the original composition, to appreciate the art...but that is seperate from reviewing objectively based on scent alone imo.

Some are easier to "clone" than others, but for me the "bottom line" is that unless I can compare a cheap but decent dupe oil to the DUA or Alexandria scent, I'm not going to spend the money as a blind buy. I don't value these super expensive niche scents the way some people do, and only sample them when I get them in a swap or as part of a lot sale (or someone includes a sample as a bonus); to me the DUA and Alexandria prices are the expensive scents! LOL.

hickorysmoke

Jul 31, 2012
If I'm going the "clone" route I'm not paying $50 for 30 ml, or even 100 ml. I'll take my Dorall Collection scents at less than $10 for 100 bottles and leave DUA ones for someone else!

Agree Dua and Alexandria too expensive for fakey frags. No way $60. This led me to investigate other sources. I found Fragrances Unlimited an indie niche house in Texas on Etsy that does a lot of inspired by fragrances at $24 for 50ml. Seems more reasonable. I’m going to try when I can decide which nichealike I’m most curious about.

leor_77

Mar 8, 2006
I have to say that its a real turn off that they are likely paying off YouTube reviewers. I know these guys get free bottles all the time, but to give such positive reviews on this, while others are saying that it sucks, really indicates something more than "free bottles". I think Redollesence is the worst of them - Look at his review of the scammy Raw Chemistry pheromone. Time to clean up my subscriptions.

Jul 7, 2012
The reviews are about to get real LOL!
A big Thank you to Dougczar, L’Homme Blanc Individual, Bigsly, Remik, and Ken_Russell for your participation!
I’ve got a couple more PM’s out and I’ll let you guys know who else is in when I receive their replies.
View attachment 83173
View attachment 83174

I received 13zz in the mail today. Before I offer up my thoughts, I'll explain my process.

I have not and will not read reviews or look up notes or even return to this Dua thread until I've finished testing it and writing my thoughts. To be honest, I don't care what notes they say are in it.

I judge how food tastes by tasting it. I judge how perfume smells by smelling it. I'm not particularly interested in whether Dua is diluting oils or creating their own clones. or doing impressions or whatever else. I was asked to compare it to Aventus, so I'll do that too, but my main interest here is in how this stuff smells on its own.

I will say one thing: I'm already surprised a bit by this one... but I'll save that for the review, which I'll share when I've gotten a better feel for this scent.

Having said that... I'm done here until I get a feel for this stuff. I'll be back then. Cheers! :beer:

EDIT: Well, that didn't take long. Shortly after I posted this, I had to go back and spray more on because, sheesh, this stuff is... well... I posted my review below.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2012
OK... I give in.

I have now worn 13zz for eight hours. I said I was surprised. Well, I'm surprised by how irrelevant this scent is. I had every intention of spending a few days with it. I planned on getting to know it as its own scent, judging on its own merits, and then comparing and contrasting it with Aventus.

Nope, nope and a heck of a lot more NOPE, while also having not much nope at all.

There's. Nothing. Here.

13zz smells nothing like Aventus. They're not in the same league. They're not even playing the same sport. Aventus is like major league baseball and 13zz is a lonely toddler trying to play hide and seek all by himself.

Generally speaking, I'm a 3 to 4 spray guy. With Aventus, I wear 2 sprays, but my bottle has an old style Creed firehose sprayer, so that's like 3 or 4 sprays from a typical sprayer. Tonight, I'm wearing 4 sprays of 13zz on my arm [EDIT: I was up to 6 by the time I finally posted this] and it's like I'm not wearing anything at all. And after the opening dies down a bit, it's irrelevant. Note that word: Irrelevant. That's 13zz in a nutshell.

My bottle of Aventus is S42B12A01, but I started with samples of the 2010 so-called ashy batch (A42B10K04), and I had some of the 2011 Z01 batch. I've also smelled several clones, ranging from the WTF Is This Fiasco known as Fresco to the chemical bomb of CDNI (c'mon folks. Birch? Smoke? CDNI is fruit over norlimbanol). 13zz smells closer to Fresco, but without the bubblegum.

I'll tell you what I smell, starting at the opening.

At the opening of 13zz, I get light wafts of something fruity. It smells like apple and... uhm... and what? Take the sweetness from rhubarb, plus the smell of a lemon before being sliced open, plus the smell of apple slices that were put in the fridge for too long and are still cold. It smells kind of like that when first sprayed.

Shortly after, something slightly vegetal crops up. It's almost grassy. And there's something like the remains of a cleaning product, plus wood chips from a playground where a generation of sweaty children played. 13zz smells faintly like all of that while also managing to smell like not much at all. The cleaning product aspect of the citruses is faint. I notice it if I try to pick apart the scent, otherwise, not so much. Then again, if I don't try to notice this stuff, I forget I'm wearing it because it's irrelevant.

An hour later, the apple is gone, and as it turns out, the grass was artificial turf and has been hauled away. Now, I smell faint bits of moist earth and hints of some vague artificial sweetness.

Interestingly, I sometimes get an after-smell. Is there a proper term for that? Think of when you're sipping a really nice glass of wine, and after you swallow it, you're left with the lingering taste of tannins on your tongue for a moment, and you can practically feel the skin of the grapes. When you taste the wine, you get the entire composition, but afterward, for just a moment, you get the lingering taste of tannins. I get a sensation like that with 13zz. When I breathe it in, I get the smell of the entire composition, but afterward, for just a moment, I'd swear I get a lingering scent of artificial lemony fizz that isn't obvious until that point. When smelling 13zz, I don't get lemon. But after smelling it, for just a moment... is that lemon?

There's something fluffy about the overall profile of this scent. I have some guesses about what's being used to create that effect, but honestly, the effect is kind of nice. There's nothing beneath it though. It's like putting down hardwood floors in the living room of a house that has no foundation, or it's like building an in-ground pool with a slide and a diving board and a water filtration system... but forgetting to build the pool.

Wait. What? ...there's no reason for this to exist.

13zz is all top notes. Once they settle in, they fade into oblivion. One could maybe argue there's a bit of a heart here, but there's no base. Woods? Maybe a dusting of some sort of wood-ish something or other. Musk? Well, there's clearly some sort of fixative being used to fluff up the non-fruits & pseudo-citrus. But it's all so... irrelevant.

There's that word again.

The weird thing is, this isn't awful. It doesn't scream of harsh chemicals and assault the senses like the base of Sauvage or the insult to perfumery known as Bvlgari Atlantiqve (which I assume took an entire ten minutes to compose). This 13zz stuff is too irrelevant to be offensive.

This is Aventus minus the entus. It's just Av.

EDIT: Now, I'm looking up info, out of curiosity. They named this stuff Poseidon’s Elixir? It's more like Poseidon’s 2nd cousin's wife's brother in law's yawn.

NOTES: Bergamot, Blackcurrant Leaves, Apple, Pineapple, Pinkberries, Birch, Patchouli, Jasmine, Rose, Musk, Oakmoss, Ambergris, and Vanilla.

I agree with one of those notes: Blackcurrant Leaves. Yup. The blackcurrant leaves in a hurry. It was gone before my decant even arrived. Pinkberries? More like snozzberries.

Dandydude, you took one for the team. We should take up a collection to get you your money back.

Nostri

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
lol.gif

Mountainbikesandwatches

Feb 12, 2015
Love this thread! You all are the best, tired of him scamming people. 13ZZ what a joke. He says he sources special birch tar from Barcelona to match the batch. i can’t even believe how unethical they are. The frag is Poseidon 3.0 a cheap Aventus dupe oil clone.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks Dandy for doing this.
Dua threads were PITA along with the misinformation.
This really helps. Unfortunately, this whole fiasco has made me more cynical of the vloggers'/bloggers' opinion. Oh well.

Last edited:

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
OK... I give in.

I have now worn 13zz for eight hours. I said I was surprised. Well, I'm surprised by how irrelevant this scent is. I had every intention of spending a few days with it. I planned on getting to know it as its own scent, judging on its own merits, and then comparing and contrasting it with Aventus.

Nope, nope and a heck of a lot more NOPE, while also having not much nope at all.

There's. Nothing. Here.

13zz smells nothing like Aventus. They're not in the same league. They're not even playing the same sport. Aventus is like major league baseball and 13zz is a lonely toddler trying to play hide and seek all by himself.

Generally speaking, I'm a 3 to 4 spray guy. With Aventus, I wear 2 sprays, but my bottle has an old style Creed firehose sprayer, so that's like 3 or 4 sprays from a typical sprayer. Tonight, I'm wearing 4 sprays of 13zz on my arm [EDIT: I was up to 6 by the time I finally posted this] and it's like I'm not wearing anything at all. And after the opening dies down a bit, it's irrelevant. Note that word: Irrelevant. That's 13zz in a nutshell.

My bottle of Aventus is S42B12A01, but I started with samples of the 2010 so-called ashy batch (A42B10K04), and I had some of the 2011 Z01 batch. I've also smelled several clones, ranging from the WTF Is This Fiasco known as Fresco to the chemical bomb of CDNI (c'mon folks. Birch? Smoke? CDNI is fruit over norlimbanol). 13zz smells closer to Fresco, but without the bubblegum.

At the opening of 13zz, I get light wafts of something fruity. It smells like apple and... uhm... and what? Take the sweetness from rhubarb, plus the smell of a lemon before being sliced open, plus the smell of apple slices that were put in the fridge for too long and are still cold. It smells kind of like that when first sprayed.

Shortly after, something slightly vegetal crops up. It's almost grassy. And there's something like the remains of a cleaning product, plus wood chips from a playground where a generation of sweaty children played. 13zz smells faintly like all of that while also managing to smell like not much at all. The cleaning product aspect of the citruses is faint. I notice it if I try to pick apart the scent, otherwise, not so much. Then again, if I don't try to notice this stuff, I forget I'm wearing it because it's irrelevant.

An hour later, the apple is gone, and as it turns out, the grass was artificial turf and has been hauled away. Now, I smell faint bits of moist earth and hints of some vague artificial sweetness.

Interestingly, I sometimes get an after-smell. Is there a proper term for that? Think of when you're sipping a really nice glass of wine, and after you swallow it, you're left with the lingering taste of tannins on your tongue for a moment, and you can practically feel the skin of the grapes. When you taste the wine, you get the entire composition, but afterward, for just a moment, you get the lingering taste of tannins. I get a sensation like that with 13zz. When I breathe it in, I get the smell of the entire composition, but afterward, for just a moment, I'd swear I get a lingering scent of artificial lemony fizz that isn't obvious until that point. When smelling 13zz, I don't get lemon. But after smelling it, for just a moment... is that lemon?

There's something fluffy about the overall profile of this scent. I have some guesses about what's being used to create that effect, but honestly, the effect is kind of nice. There's nothing beneath it though. It's like putting down hardwood floors in the living room of a house that has no foundation, or it's like building an in-ground pool with a slide and a diving board and a water filtration system... but forgetting to build the pool.

13zz is all top notes. Once they settle in, they fade into oblivion. One could maybe argue there's a bit of a heart here, but there's no base. Woods? Maybe a dusting of some sort of wood-ish something or other. Musk? Well, there's clearly some sort of fixative being used to fluff up the non-fruits & pseudo-citrus. But it's all so... irrelevant.

There's that word again.

The weird thing is, this isn't awful. It doesn't scream of harsh chemicals and assault the senses like the base of Sauvage or the insult to perfumery known as Bvlgari Atlantiqve (which I assume took an entire ten minutes to compose). This 13zz stuff is too irrelevant to be offensive.

EDIT: Now, I'm looking up info, out of curiosity. They named this stuff Poseidon’s Elixir? It's more like Poseidon’s 2nd cousin's wife's brother in law's yawn.

NOTES: Bergamot, Blackcurrant Leaves, Apple, Pineapple, Pinkberries, Birch, Patchouli, Jasmine, Rose, Musk, Oakmoss, Ambergris, and Vanilla.

I agree with one of those notes: Blackcurrant Leaves. Yup. The blackcurrant leaves in a hurry. It was gone before my decant even arrived. Pinkberries? More like snozzberries.

Dandydude, you took one for the team. We should take up a collection to get you your money back.

As always. One of the most accurate and entertaining takes imaginable.
Thanks for taking part of this brother but more so thanks for all the fun you add to this community.

I guess I can share my take now.
I didn’t want to influence the opinions of others before you guys had a chance to get your nose on it but here we go.

Comparing this to my 13Z01. And 15P02 (my grail batch that smells super close to 13ZZ01 but with a tad more smoke and density in the drydown).
I’d first like to say that I have thrown all of my feelings about Dua out of the window and am judging this on scent alone.
Opens super bright and surprisingly no alcohol at all....I quite like it. Definitely recognize it immediately as an “Aventus clone” as its missing some the edginess of the Creed. I get pineapple with amped up bergamot.
Not harsh like Club de Nuit Intense Man actually quite pleasant.

10 minutes in and some woody notes and Birch become evident and I think for a second....
“OK, here we go, this might be it” and then......
BAM! The hype train runs off the tracks and crashes into a sea of broken promises.
15 to 20 minutes in, while the top notes are hanging on for dear life trying their best to convince us that their close the base starts a fist fight with them and the whole thing falls apart.

This is the most interesting part of the original in my opinion. It’s where I pick up a note not often mentioned when discussing Aventus but once you smell its undeniable and the composition can not get by without it. Oakmoss. One of my favorite parts. I love it.
After 30-45 minutes or so of the Creed you get that subtle sweetness. That beautiful vanilla starts to introduce itself more prominently. You get that signature Creed DNA ambergris. Love it or hate it....Aventus is undeniably well crafted and complex.

None of that comes through with the DUA.
Zero Oakmoss. That beautiful vanilla and the complexity in the drydown is missing. While the top sticks around for long enough to keep reminding you of Aventus, the base is just a mess and is constantly reminding you that it is not.

Very middle of the road clone.
All that said, I don’t hate it. If it were $15-$20 I’d probably even recommend it to someone who would like something that could possibly “remind” them of Aventus.
At this price point.....I’d say leave it alone.
I can’t wait to hear the thoughts of the rest of those participating.
This was fun at least.

Last edited:

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015

Ha! it Left to fast for me to even notice it was at the party!

Love this thread! You all are the best,

Thanks Dandy for doing this.
Dua threads were PITA along with the misinformation.
This really helps.

My pleasure really

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
I received my sample of the latest (13ZZ) DUA PE. I will give it a test tonight.

I will wear it alone - and evaluate it as a stand-alone scent for a few hours. Then I will do a side-by-side with Aventus. Probably with a newer Aventus (not my 2013 one). That way it might be a more fair fight. Finally I will wear it side-by-side with my DUA PE that I purchased in 2016. Some have mentioned that the newer PE is much better than the PE of a few years ago. I would like it see it for myself.

I have a lot of running around to do this weekend - and I don't think I want to wear it in public until I have some experience with the new stuff - but I will certainly do it this weekend and report back.

Sweetstench408

Dec 9, 2014
OK... I give in.

There's. Nothing. Here.

There's that word again.

I appreciate your review I trust your nose. I was considering buying a bottle for sh*ts n giggles

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I received the sample of the DUA Aventus type scent today, and because I had already applied another scent, I did one spray just above the ankle to so I could check on it every so often. I got the fruitiness at first, which isn't something I prefer, but it was okay, and then I blew on the area, as is my usual practice, to dry it off ASAP. There wasn't much of anything I could detect several minutes later, perhaps sour fruit and something slightly metallic? How many sprays are necessary with this one? I'll compare it to Aventus soon.

Jul 7, 2012
I appreciate your review I trust your nose. I was considering buying a bottle for sh*ts n giggles

Thanks for the kind word. I'd say 13zz is more like the first of those two things rather than the second. :thumbsup:

I need to give 13zz another try - not because I liked it, but because I may have noticed something in the base that I forgot to mention in my review. I want to go back and check before I comment on it, just to make sure my nose wasn't fooling me.

EDIT: Done, and never mind. I thought I might have noticed something lingering in the base that I liked, but I was wrong.

At Dua's prices, I don't understand why anyone would buy this instead of buying a decant of Aventus.

Last edited:

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
FRIDAY NIGHT - Wearing Poseidon's Elixir 2.0:
Initially I found it quite off-putting. What they call "pineapple" I found to be unplesant and slightly urionous. Not terrible, but not very good either. Sharp, chemical, and overwhelming.

After about 20 minutes, I found it to be even more unwearable and would never consider wearing it out in public. The "fresh" notes were anything but fresh to my nose. It smelled like alumiunum, PVC plastic, and new carpet. It reminded me of a futuristic industrial complex. It was at this point when I asked my wife what she thought. (NOTE: I have worn over 1,200 fragrances over the last 6 years, and Aventus is the only one she bothered to learn the name of. It is by far her favorite scent on me.) I let her take a sniff of my arm, and asked her what she thought. She said it was "ok" with a shrug. I asked her if it smelled like Aventus. She said no, it doesn't smell like Aventus, but it's ok. She found very little similarity with the Creed offering.

After about 2 hours, it became tolerable to me. Not good, but something I could live with. The chemical industrial complex feeling went away, along with the sad "pineapple" cat urine smell also. What was left over was just a slightly fruity musk. And I can live with that.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Side-by-Side with the "1st version of Poseidon's Elixir"
I did a Side-by-Side comparison between the Poseidon's Elixir I purchased in June 2016 (Version 1.0) with this new Poseidon's Elixir (a.k.a Poseidon's Elixir 2.0). I did this because there are claims that it was reformulated due to complaints with the original Poseidon's Elixir.

Yes. Version 2.0 is different from Version 1.0. Upon application, I found my original Poseidon's Elixir to be much better actually. However, it is still bad. Version 1.0 is much less metallic and less of the new carpet smell. It still smells like industrial cleaning supplies however, so I am not implying that the original is good by any standard. However, after an hour, the Version 1.0 Poseidon's Elixir completely falls apart, and begins to smell more like cat pee on carpet. At this point, the newer Poseidon's Elixir becomes a much better option. It seems like the reformulation - to me - focused on improving the mid-notes. Personally, I feel like the improved mid-notes came at a cost of the top-notes, since it was an unpleasant experience to get to this point. After a few hours, they are quite similar - both tolerable, but neither are really better than going scent-free.

Some call this an "Aventus clone". No. This is not even remotely close to Aventus. I can't imagine anyone with a sense of smell could confuse this with it - unless they were paid handsomely. For me, of all the Aventus "clones" or scents that are "inspired" by Aventus, I would rate Poseidon's Elixir - in either version - at the bottom. Possibly above Fresco, but maybe not. I can't pick which version of Poseidon's Elixir I like more, but I can say that I would honestly wear just about anything else above either of these.

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
FRIDAY NIGHT - Wearing Poseidon's Elixir 2.0:
Initially I found it quite off-putting. What they call "pineapple" I found to be unplesant and slightly urionous. Not terrible, but not very good either. Sharp, chemical, and overwhelming.

After about 20 minutes, I found it to be even more unwearable and would never consider wearing it out in public. The "fresh" notes were anything but fresh to my nose. It smelled like alumiunum, PVC plastic, and new carpet. It reminded me of a futuristic industrial complex. It was at this point when I asked my wife what she thought. (NOTE: I have worn over 1,200 fragrances over the last 6 years, and Aventus is the only one she bothered to learn the name of. It is by far her favorite scent on me.) I let her take a sniff of my arm, and asked her what she thought. She said it was "ok" with a shrug. I asked her if it smelled like Aventus. She said no, it doesn't smell like Aventus, but it's ok. She found very little similarity with the Creed offering.

After about 2 hours, it became tolerable to me. Not good, but something I could live with. The chemical industrial complex feeling went away, along with the sad "pineapple" cat urine smell also. What was left over was just a slightly fruity musk. And I can live with that.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Side-by-Side with the "1st version of Poseidon's Elixir"
I did a Side-by-Side comparison between the Poseidon's Elixir I purchased in June 2016 (Version 1.0) with this new Poseidon's Elixir (a.k.a Poseidon's Elixir 2.0). I did this because there are claims that it was reformulated due to complaints with the original Poseidon's Elixir.

Yes. Version 2.0 is different from Version 1.0. Upon application, I found my original Poseidon's Elixir to be much better actually. However, it is still bad. Version 1.0 is much less metallic and less of the new carpet smell. It still smells like industrial cleaning supplies however, so I am not implying that the original is good by any standard. However, after an hour, the Version 1.0 Poseidon's Elixir completely falls apart, and begins to smell more like cat pee on carpet. At this point, the newer Poseidon's Elixir becomes a much better option. It seems like the reformulation - to me - focused on improving the mid-notes. Personally, I feel like the improved mid-notes came at a cost of the top-notes, since it was an unpleasant experience to get to this point. After a few hours, they are quite similar - both tolerable, but neither are really better than going scent-free.

Some call this an "Aventus clone". No. This is not even remotely close to Aventus. I can't imagine anyone with a sense of smell could confuse this with it - unless they were paid handsomely. For me, of all the Aventus "clones" or scents that are "inspired" by Aventus, I would rate Poseidon's Elixir - in either version - at the bottom. Possibly above Fresco, but maybe not. I can't pick which version of Poseidon's Elixir I like more, but I can say that I would honestly wear just about anything else above either of these.

Thanks Doug!

We have a couple of more guys out there you have yet to receive samples and post their findings but I’d say if this were a episode of Mythbusters we would call this one busted.

Can’t wait to here what Remik and Ken_Russell have to say.

For all of you genuinely interested in Dua fragrances the above reviews are from longtime, well respected, members of the fragrance community who are not being paid by Dua.

hickorysmoke

Jul 31, 2012
So, is Pineapple vintage intense the best aventus clone?

This is cool thanks for doing this Dua frag examination. Yeah, I was wondering about the other clones too. I know this is a Dua thread though. I'm not the most experienced nose, but I did a tester sample of Aventus at Neiman Marcus and then I decided to try L'Aventure from my research on clones. I'm cool with L'Aventure so far and it is under $40 for 100ml (cheaper than Dua and Pineapple Vintage) . Would like to hear opinions or even a ranking on some of the other clones if you all have tried them, thanks.

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
This is cool thanks for doing this Dua frag examination. Yeah, I was wondering about the other clones too. I know this is a Dua thread though. I'm not the most experienced nose, but I did a tester sample of Aventus at Neiman Marcus and then I decided to try L'Aventure from my research on clones. I'm cool with L'Aventure so far and it is under $40 for 100ml (cheaper than Dua and Pineapple Vintage) . Would like to hear opinions or even a ranking on some of the other clones if you all have tried them, thanks.

I may be doing something like this soon.
So far aside from Aventus I currently own: Rasasi Zebra, L'aventure, Dua 13ZZ, HTTP Bond, Pineapple Vintage Intense, insurrection II, snow flakes, CDNIM, Avenue, Vibrant Leather, Cedrat Boise, Scent of Peace for Him, Terenzi Orion, Fresco, Supremacy Silver, AB Spirit, and unpredictabilite adventure.

Jul 7, 2012
So, is Pineapple vintage intense the best aventus clone?

I never got to try that one, but I'd bet on it.

I can say for a fact that the guy behind Parfums Vintage puts a lot of time and work into what he's doing. I was part of a test group along with a few others here on BN when he was creating his first Parfums Vintage Pineapple scent a few years ago. There's a thread for it somewhere. I remember receiving a small box of color coded vials, each with a few ml of different versions of the same scent that he wanted feedback on as he fine tuned his formula. He gave us plenty of time to go over the samples if memory serves correct, and he wanted detailed feedback. I'm sure he contacted many of us privately to go over the feeback we'd given him & ask questions. His stuff is in a whole other league compared to Dua.

If owning a bottle with a pretty label is important, Parfums Vintage is as good as it gets unless you're buying the real thing. But really, Aventus decants are so affordable that it makes more sense to buy a decant of the real deal.

Nostri

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
But guys ... Mahsam Raza is a master perfumer (in his spare time). The most respected and longtime Youtube reviewers told me so — Redolessence, Brooklyn Fragrance Lover, MyMickers, Max Forti, SimplyPutScents, AGentleman'sJourney, Frag-Mental, Big Beard Business, No Nonscents....

I mean, surely we're mistaken here. Look at all the time this one put into his thumbnail just to make sure we knew how great this stuff is compared to the real thing!

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 4.30.52 PM.jpg

Come to think of it, you know who HASN'T pushed this farce? JeremyFragrance. Interesting, huh?

hickorysmoke

Jul 31, 2012
I may be doing something like this soon.
So far aside from Aventus I currently own: Rasasi Zebra, L'aventure, Dua 13ZZ, HTTP Bond, Pineapple Vintage Intense, insurrection II, snow flakes, CDNIM, Avenue, Vibrant Leather, Cedrat Boise, Scent of Peace for Him, Terenzi Orion, Fresco, Supremacy Silver, AB Spirit, and unpredictabilite adventure.

Cool, I'll be interested to see how they all stack up.

khuss21

Jun 24, 2016
So I posted here that I actually enjoyed Supernova and really think it's very similar to Elysium cologne. Been trying 13zz.... it's absolutely garbage. The similarity with Aventus is there 20%, but it's such a muddled scent that it feels as though there is no true construction of top notes, mids, and a base. Add to that it lasts all of 30minutes, such a waste and I can't see how someone can think of wearing this over any other clone, or the real thing itself for $1.5/no decant. I bought this hoping to get a scent similar to 13ZZ, this isn't even close to Aventus let alone that particular top 5 batch (personal preference).

Maxtesti

Feb 18, 2018
Come to think of it, you know who HASN'T pushed this farce? JeremyFragrance. Interesting, huh?

Not really. The reason Jeremy doesn't do Dua is that he has much bigger and better players. Why would you endorse Dua when you have houses like Armani, Guerlain, Tom Ford, PDM (to name a few) chasing him? Also, Dua probably cannot afford his fee. As for now JemeryFragrance channel is 100% a business. His fragrance hasn't been released yet and he's already hyping it as "the best fragrance in the world", lol. Out of every reviewer combined, Jeremy is worse in terms of hyping and getting paid (no contest). When he says that he's "never, ever being paid to review a fragrance" he's lying stright to your face. I'm sorry to burst the bubble but the sooner you're aware the better. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Is not just Jeremy. EVERY reviewer does it (read: EVERY). It's their game. But unless you have 250k subs house like Chanel, Dior, Tom Ford, etc... are not bothered with your channel. The more subs you have the more interesting you are to the big companies. So, all newer, smaller channels rely on clone houses. However, Steven and Carlos (and that douche MyMickers ) have gone overboard. They're not merely hyping, but like have become business associates of Dua. It was only a matter of time the shit hit the fan.

But it's not as bad as it sounds. I love watching the videos. These are not bad people (at least most aren't). I learned a lot from this community. There's some really great, informative, genuine content. You just have to figure out to separate the hype.

At the end of the day, they're providing a service, and a great one. If it wasn't for them I'd never in a million years come to know so many fragrances. Also, these videos take a lot of time, effort and money (how do you think they can afford to buy so many expensive fragrances?). So, if they get some finacial support for hyping a house, I don't mind. I don't like it but it's what it is. Like I said they're not bad people, at all.

[edit]: sorry for going off topic.

Nostri

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not really. The reason Jeremy doesn't do Dua is that he has much bigger and better players. Why would you endorse Dua when you have houses like Armani, Guerlain, Tom Ford, PDM (to name a few) chasing him? Also, Dua probably cannot afford his fee. As for now JemeryFragrance channel is 100% a business. His fragrance hasn't been released yet and he's already hyping it as "the best fragrance in the world", lol. Out of every reviewer combined, Jeremy is worse in terms of hyping and getting paid (no contest). When he says that he's "never, ever being paid to review a fragrance" he's lying stright to your face. I'm sorry to burst the bubble but the sooner you're aware the better. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Is not just Jeremy. EVERY reviewer does it (read: EVERY). It's their game. But unless you have 250k subs house like Chanel, Dior, Tom Ford, etc... are not bothered with your channel. The more subs you have the more interesting you are to the big companies. So, all newer, smaller channels rely on clone houses. However, Steven and Carlos (and that douche MyMickers ) have gone overboard. They're not merely hyping, but like have become business associates of Dua. It was only a matter of time the shit hit the fan.

But it's not as bad as it sounds. I love watching the videos. These are not bad people (at least most aren't). I learned a lot from this community. There's some really great, informative, genuine content. You just have to figure out to separate the hype.

At the end of the day, they're providing a service, and a great one. If it wasn't for them I'd never in a million years come to know so many fragrances. Also, these videos take a lot of time, effort and money (how do you think they can afford to buy so many expensive fragrances?). So, if they get some finacial support for hyping a house, I don't mind. I don't like it but it's what it is. Like I said they're not bad people, at all.

[edit]: sorry for going off topic.

As the guy (me) who originally exposed DUA (as ShelleyVanilla and other aliases), I'm all for pulling back the curtain on reviewers. Remember, I tied DUA's marketing director/graphic artist to the channel trailers for most Youtube reviewers pushing the brand.

BUT ... feel free to show me actual evidence behind your claims of Jeremy taking payment from any frag house. And don't throw out press junkets as evidence (I used to be a journalist for a national newspaper and know all about how they work having been flown to L.A. and New York on their dime to see movie premieres and do celebrity roundtable interviews with Miramax and Universal Pictures, to name a few. But I digress..) And I have yet to see any actual proof when people such as yourself make these claims.

You can cry "but my gut tells me!" all day long but until you have some actual proof, quit parroting these silly ideas. Are the big boys chasing him? Possibly. But that's no secret. Are they paying him? I doubt it. Are you going to tell me he recommended Michael Jordan's Flight over YSL L'Homme recently because he was paid? Nah. Because that destroys your argument "YSL PAYS HIM, GUYS! HE WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT LA NUIT!!" But MJ's Flight is sold at Ross and TJ Maxx, so you mean they're paying him? lol, doubtful.

Dior has Johnny Depp pushing Sauvage. You really think they need Jeremy's "influence" among hobbyists? You think Creed didn't have it's loyal fanbase before Jeremy came along? And, oh yeah, he didn't hype up Aventus at first calling it "ok, but not worth it" because there were better frags to spend the money on...

Sorry man, it's easy to spew nonsense. But I'm going to call it out when I read it. And this doesn't just go for Jeremy. I think most Youtube "reviewers" are silly and it really just comes down to a d*ck measuring contest because nothing they've contributed via video couldn't have been said in a forum post somewhere. As if their "review" needs it's own special place while we gaze upon their "check out my collection where I buy everything just to beat the next guy" posturing proudly displayed behind them.

Maxtesti

Feb 18, 2018
LOL...I never watched Johnny Depp reviewing Dior Sausage. But whatever man, keep sucking to Jeremy's. Could not care less. ��

Nostri

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
^ And that settles that. When you have to resort to insults and misdirection (who said anything about Depp reviewing Sauvage? Pushing is not the same as reviewing.) that tells us all we need to know about your credibility. Any other dubious claims you want to make?

And fyi, you do care. Otherwise, you wouldn't have spent the time writing up wall of text (four paragraphs) to begin with.

But hey, it's so much cooler to pretend you don't care after the fact.

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
Today I tried the Aventus sample, applied the same way and in the same amount as the DUA one. I think the fruitiness up top was better and then it stayed true for several hours. Now I don't think it's that much better than "vintage" Zara Gold (in the gold cylinder bottle), but I'm not much of a fan of this type of composition and hardly ever wear them. I'd much rather wear CdNI for Men instead of the DUA, and I really don't understand why anyone would think it is in the same general ballpark as Aventus or even the Armaf, other than perhaps the top notes.

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
Today I tried the Aventus sample, applied the same way and in the same amount as the DUA one. I think the fruitiness up top was better and then it stayed true for several hours. Now I don't think it's that much better than "vintage" Zara Gold (in the gold cylinder bottle), but I'm not much of a fan of this type of composition and hardly ever wear them. I'd much rather wear CdNI for Men instead of the DUA, and I really don't understand why anyone would think it is in the same general ballpark as Aventus or even the Armaf, other than perhaps the top notes.

Great man! Thanks for the feedback

Jul 7, 2012
CDNI is another cheap one that is for people who only care about an opening blast or only have the nose for top notes. The top notes are arguably not bad, but the base is mostly cheap harsh chemical trash.

The more often people wear harsh chemical garbage, the less they have an ability to recognize it.

In a sense, it's like eating peanut butter. If you're used to garbage like Jif, Skippy & Peter Pan, you won't realize how bad it tastes. It's not just sugary junk, it's nasty chemical fake sugar junk.

Just about all of the fragrances we talk about on BN have aroma chemicals. Every scent listed among my favorites has synthetics. Heck, there are even chemicals in perfumer's alcohol. But we're in an era of particularly harsh chemicals being used and abused. I don't know which I find more surprising: the fact that it's so common, the fact that so many people are willing to wear that junk, or the fact that there's almost no backlash even from people with enough experience to know better. I feel like I'm the only one on this entire forum who mentions it... and that blows my mind.

Latest News