Drakkar Noir compared to Aramis

johnoleary

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 7, 2013
Hi,

Just got a sample of Aramis, I find it a nice clean, earth fragrance,a little powdery, and quite strong, want to try Drakkar Noir are they similar? if not whats the difference?

Thanks for any help,

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
To me they are not similar. Aramis has a dirty quality to it and is quite dark. DN is green and clean more in the barbershop category.
This.

Now I like DN, but I love Aramis. But it can be an acquired taste. It can be a very “cologne-y” cologne. It has been compared to jet fuel. But it still defines for me what a good chypre should be and I live for the oakmoss and leather drydown. It’s both weird and glorious (and a very typically ‘60s chypre), and I wear it more than almost anything I own.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Tending to second all the viewpoints that they are not similar.

While they may have started out from a similar concept, even put into practice with somewhat comparable notes, Aramis is a much more cumin-like animalic leather (though with some soapy undertones).

While Drakkar Noir is equally dark and even smokier but also much cleanlier, with a soapier fougere base, lasting on skin in a beast mode yet still more bracing way.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Nothing alike. Put the notion of any similarity out of your mind.

Aramis is fairly polarizing. People who don't like it often find it vile. I'm older than dirt and can't feel comfortable wearing it.

Drakkar Noir may smell dated to some people, but it's not as archaic smelling as Aramis. Drakkar Noir is actually the inspiration for a lot of scents. I can't think of anything similar to Aramis.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Nothing alike. Put the notion of any similarity out of your mind.

Aramis is fairly polarizing. People who don't like it often find it vile. I'm older than dirt and can't feel comfortable wearing it.

Drakkar Noir may smell dated to some people, but it's not as archaic smelling as Aramis. Drakkar Noir is actually the inspiration for a lot of scents. I can't think of anything similar to Aramis.
Agree with everyone that these two share nothing in common, besides a few overlapping notes that don't actually smell similar in practice.

The first time I wore Aramis it struck me just how different it was from everything else I own (besides, maybe, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve). It wasn't until I started sniffing around classic "feminine" marketed leather chypres that it started to make sense. Gres Cabochard in particular is very similar, and the current formulation makes for an excellent alternative at an even better price (it swaps the man-sweat and spices of Aramis for a cleaner, floral-forward approach). Other than that, to find something in this vein nowadays, you'd probably have to look at other Aramis Gentlemen's Collection scents (JHL, 900, Devin, etc.) or their feminine Estee Lauder/Clinique counterparts (Azuree, Aliage, Aromatics Elixir). They're kind of a world unto themselves, and definitely worlds away from Drakkar Noir!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...