Drakar Noir Edition Limitee (2003 batches, from Cosmair)

SubZee

Aug 16, 2019
I ordered same 1oz bottles of Drakkar Noir Edition Limitee recently to compare to my 2010 bottle (full size). When I checked out the back of the box and bottle, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that these bottles are a Cosmair formulation and from 2003!! The scent is fantastic. This batch smells more natural and to my nose I can pick up more Oakmoss. Both versions smell very close, however, Cosmair is definitely higher quality and better smelling. But it's not as potent as my 2010 bottle. I know it's not Aventus lol but do any of you find any particular batches better than others? Is Vintage worth seeking out?

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
i always think its worth finding vintage for most scents . drakkar bottles from the 80's to the end of cosmair around 2000 stayed about the same in quality for those years.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
I ordered same 1oz bottles of Drakkar Noir Edition Limitee recently to compare to my 2010 bottle (full size). When I checked out the back of the box and bottle, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that these bottles are a Cosmair formulation and from 2003!! The scent is fantastic. This batch smells more natural and to my nose I can pick up more Oakmoss. Both versions smell very close, however, Cosmair is definitely higher quality and better smelling. But it's not as potent as my 2010 bottle. I know it's not Aventus lol but do any of you find any particular batches better than others? Is Vintage worth seeking out?
DN is worth getting in vintage form. Especially for me (via Jean-Sté's link) as the 1st version ('82-'89) is way more patchouli-forward. The patchouli got turned way down in '89 and the dihydromyrcenol way up.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
DN is worth getting in vintage form. Especially for me (via Jean-Sté's link) as the 1st version ('82-'89) is way more patchouli-forward. The patchouli got turned way down in '89 and the dihydromyrcenol way up.

I finally got my hands on the first version within the last year. Same general scent but noticeably different. It must be the oakmoss combined with the patchouli that makes it such a difference experience. Way more natural smelling, there's more nuance throughout the dry down, and you get a very green ending that's absent from the current reformulation.

@SubZee
Drakkar Noir is one of my favorite scents. I really like the vintage and it feels like it's of a higher quality. The current stuff is like a sportier version which is equally good in it's own way.

If you can find vintage for a good price I'd go for it. But I wouldn't pay anything over...maybe $70 for a vintage bottle. I lucked out and got mine for like $40 and while I like it, I don't consider it a gem in my collection like I do my vintage Azzaro PH or my semi-vintage Paco Rabanne PH.

Instead, I'd recommend getting Al-Rehab Dakar and layering it with current Drakkar Noir. Al-Rehab's version is pretty much the basenotes of vintage DN but more concentrated. When I wore vintage DN, after about 5-6 hours I was like, "Oh wow, this smells like Al-Rehab!" As much as I love the current DN, it's crazy that the final stage of the original scent has been completely removed. I normally wouldn't recommend a clone, except in cases of something being OOP or trying to get vintage.

Staff online

Latest News