Donald Trump builds his fragrance Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsieurChanel

Oct 3, 2015
Art of the deal! Seriously, that is a great deal. We await your review!

I am curious if there might be a re-release of the original, at some point, too, so you may even get to do a comparison later. There is probably money in a re-release. Not a lot, but significant in the world of celebrity scents, which are well designed to capitalize on fleeting fame.

I probably got them because nobody knew who he was here all along.. :p For sure! I'd definitely do that.. as a British person I think Mr Donald Trump is one cool guy.Even though I know nothing of hi politics.. Fist, it started as a novely but I'm glad to have scents by him! Theyll have to re-release now! :grin: Ot at leasyt a cck n

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
Has anyone tried Adam Levine's cologne?

I always thought Ryan Seacrest could sell his own aqua, if he wanted to.

I used to own this, if you mean the one with the microphone like bottle. It was a pleasant peach/citrus like opening, but the dry down was just bad, so I got rid of it. I don't think it's a good value even if if 10 bucks a bottle, where I see it now often. If you value the dry down of your fragrance. If top notes are all you care about, then go for it.

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
I own both Success and Empire (although I haven't got round to trying them yet). I'd like to get the original one too though. Just to complete the lineup. You know.. the gold hexagonal (I think) styled bottle. As far as I'm aware it's just called "Donald Trump - The Fragrance". Is it difficult to obtain? I wouldn't mind giving £30-£40 for a sealed 100ml.. I see it on eBay here and there but by the time I pay for shipping and import fees (which both usually cost more than the actual fragrance) it could work out quite pricey. Like say.. £30 new and sealed from an American eBay seller.. then maybe £25-£30 shipping.. Then import fees and handling charges maybe £20 upwards. It could work out at £80+ ($100+).. Do you guys think it's worth that? Is it a good fragrance? Is there anything out there I've already smelled that it smells like or is it very unique?

It's kinda hard to find now. I bought a bottle on Ebay from a random person, not a retailer, which I rarely do on Ebay. To me, there are some fragrances similar to it, but not identical. I heard that Estee Lauder, the men's one that looks like the same bottle is supposed to be the same fragrance.. but being as I have never smelled it, and the Lauder one was made in like the 70s.. unless it underwent a complete reformulation, I find it hard to believe that it could be the same juice.

As for similar fragrances I've come across with my own experience. I would say perhaps Uomo by Zegna has some similarities, with that cucumber/pickle bergamot smell in the opening, although I much prefer the Uomo to "The Fragrance", they do dry down completely different.

jaycrew3

Dec 19, 2016
That's funny and would sell. I kind of want to find Success now. I'm surprised he didn't have flankers, Success Gold, Success Silver, Success Platinum. And for those on a budget, Success Stainless

I've got a bottle of Success if you want it.
I thought about giving it to someone as a gag xmas gift, but he had surgery recently so I don't want to bother him.
I found Empire on Groupon, but wasn't sure if the seller was legit, and I didn't want to pay shipping costs.
I'll just wait for Fragx to reduce its price I guess.
Not really sure if Empire will be worth wearing on a regular basis.

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
So I wore this today, and it took me a minute to think where I have smelled this before. It really reminded me of Daddy Yankee for men for some time in the openieng, as well as 212 VIP.. but the dry down was clear, this is exactly the same as 1 Million's opening in the dry down.. which for me is a winner. Not that I am a big fan of 1 Million, I do find it nice, but this literally smells liek 1 Millions opening in its base notes.. which is a winner for me.. because this stuff projects quite strong at over 4 hours in. I'll be wearing it more in the future.

jaycrew3

Dec 19, 2016
Okay, I went ahead and bought Empire on Fragnet. We'll see how I like it.
I also bout YSL La Nuit and MIP.

conkhi

Apr 30, 2013
i have a new in the box trump empire gift set.....in colorado usa...will swap or sell..

jaycrew3

Dec 19, 2016
i have a new in the box trump empire gift set.....in colorado usa...will swap or sell..

I would take you up on your offer, if I hadn't just purchased it myself.
Got the nice leather bag. But the bottle was unsecured and leaked about 10 ml from the nozzle coming lose.
I also let it dry on my wood shelf and Trump ruined the wood when it dripped onto it. I tried to clean it up but it on spread and made
the stain worse. The Empire smells nice enough though and has a evening lavender scent.
Did you open the fragrance and smell it?

faeman

Oct 13, 2015
a trump fragrance thread of all things getting five pages and probably set to continue for a few more. well i ah i...i...ya er...i got nothing. of ALL the perfumes and other topics and heres trump making a dent in a basenotes thread...i guess i might have to at least hunt this down and give it a sniff lol

conkhi

Apr 30, 2013
i did try it TO MAKE sure it worked..didnt leak in the box.....it comes with shampoo or shower gel and underarm deodorant....i prefer more spicey loud scents...but its warm and lightly spicey..good for office scent.

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
I bought Empire, because I do not judge a juice on its attached celebrity brand. (I love the men's line of Paris Hilton.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I bought Empire, because I do not judge a juice on its attached celebrity brand. (I love the men's line of Paris Hilton.)

Paris Hilton's women's line is very good, too. I asked a woman in a store what her awesome fragrance was, and it was one of the PH feminines (she didn't remember which).

Last edited:

gerbick

Jun 13, 2009
Walked into one of those local owned version of Perfumania (Perfume something, didn't catch the name) and tried Empire - they actually had some. I walked out shaking my head. This fragrance has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever.

I don't normally turn my nose up to most scents but this one just did absolutely nothing for me. Will not revisit.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I wonder if anyone over at Perfumania now feels silly or has been fired after destroying Trump's fragrance empire back in mid 2015?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...fragrances-cuts-ties-with-mogul/#43ad3172557c

Regards,
Renato

I suspect that "cutting ties" was an artful dodge. Perfumania sold the Trump line continuously after that statement, and still sells them.

I will bet money that "winding down" meant no NEW Trump fragrances. I suspect that production of the existing ones continues unabated.

Perhaps Perfumania played a rather cunning game - namely, "cut ties" (presumably next to non-existent) with the various Trump organizations, and then keep ordering the existing fragrances hand over fist from their subsidiary. I have seen no change in availability anywhere - much in contrast to what normally happens with a discontinued scent.

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
They make me sneeze! Very reliably!
Interesting that they affect you that way.
My mother always used to have Cyclamens around. And my wife always has quite a few around the house too (she brings them inside when they flower, leaves them outside when they have no flowers).
Regards,
Renato

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Interesting that they affect you that way.
My mother always used to have Cyclamens around. And my wife always has quite a few around the house too (she brings them inside when they flower, leaves them outside when they have no flowers).
Regards,
Renato

That's exactly how I discovered they make me sneeze. My wife put some in the bathroom. Science just did its magic after that! I suspect it's just some kind of minor allergy.

Michael293

Nov 20, 2011
I'm wondering has anyone gotten compliments while wearing Trump and what do you say when asked what is it that you wear?

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
The extremely positive reviews of Empire at the Directory and at Fragrantica made me want to buy a bottle of it.
But I can't find a bottle of it in Australia, which is most annoying.
Regards,
Renato

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
The extremely positive reviews of Empire at the Directory and at Fragrantica made me want to buy a bottle of it.
But I can't find a bottle of it in Australia, which is most annoying.
Regards,
Renato

Fragrancenet.com has a heck of a deal on it right now, and they ship to Australia.

Last edited:

genvy5

Jul 15, 2006
If you won't let me speak, then don't let me speak. Don't edit my post how you see fit.

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
OK. Thankfully, we FINALLY got a complaint about politics. I will be taking my time to clean up later - both deleting posts and editing where some useful fragrance information can be saved. No penalty for earlier political posts of any kind, but given that further posts will make me have to work, and it's a pain on this device, I will save myself keystrokes in day, week, and month increments, so please don't deprive other threads of your opinions for one last zinger here. Even vague references and good jokes either way will make me work. Talk about the fragrance only, please. Borderline posts make me work the hardest, so consider that before trying. No warnings will be given. Don't even comment on this action - just legitimate apolitical comments about the fragrance, please. You can PM me if you have questions.

Basenotes is both an archive and a growing forum of expertise on all fragrances from moose dung to Diaghilev, and everything in between. When people come here for fragrance information, they will find it. If I have to delete 1000 posts and ban every one of my friends, I will.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
OK. Thankfully, we FINALLY got a complaint about politics. I will be taking my time to clean up later - both deleting posts and editing where some useful fragrance information can be saved. No penalty for earlier political posts of any kind, but given that further posts will make me have to work, and it's a pain on this device, I will save myself keystrokes in day, week, and month increments, so please don't deprive other threads of your opinions for one last zinger here. Even vague references and good jokes either way will make me work. Talk about the fragrance only, please. Borderline posts make me work the hardest, so consider that before trying. No warnings will be given. Don't even comment on this action - just legitimate apolitical comments about the fragrance, please. You can PM me if you have questions.

Basenotes is both an archive and a growing forum of expertise on all fragrances from moose dung to Diaghilev, and everything in between. When people come here for fragrance information, they will find it. If I have to delete 1000 posts and ban every one of my friends, I will.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

Thanks, I agree it was getting annoying. I don't mind politics, but there's a place for that too. I come here to talk about fragrances.

On that note.. I would like to know if anyone (not just people who post to disagree, but people who actually have this fragrance, or have sampled it) sees the dry down of this to smell similar to the opening of 1 Million. I kind of feel guilty cause some guy messaged me about it, and I told him this.. and what if my assessment was just that on me? Not more common like on others. I would feel like IU led him down the wrong direction of a purchase he wasn't looking for. That's not the guy I wanna be. Although reviews are usually subjective, there's really no right or wrong one, I like to be as accurate as possible, especially when persuading others.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
On that note.. I would like to know if anyone (not just people who post to disagree, but people who actually have this fragrance, or have sampled it) sees the dry down of this to smell similar to the opening of 1 Million. I kind of feel guilty cause some guy messaged me about it, and I told him this.. and what if my assessment was just that on me? Not more common like on others. I would feel like IU led him down the wrong direction of a purchase he wasn't looking for. That's not the guy I wanna be. Although reviews are usually subjective, there's really no right or wrong one, I like to be as accurate as possible, especially when persuading others.

I'm testing it right now, and if I could give you some kind of Basenotes golden nose award, I would, because of all the things I've sniffed up next to Empire, 1 Million is definitely the absolute closest of them all. :beer:

Even in the opening - MASSIVE similarity. I am nowhere near the base yet, and I just see huge similarity.

I think that Empire has a softer, more opaque and oriental smell, and 1 Million has more of a semi-transparent, cool fougere smell. But there are definitely several matched accords and aromachemicals, because the overall similarity is unmistakable.

If you look at it as a 1 Million clone, it's not all that good. But if you look at it more toward the oriental side, like something comparable to Play Intense, then it seems really like an improvement, because interesting elements from 1 Million have been added.

Coffeewood 1 Million. That's my take at the moment.

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
I'm testing it right now, and if I could give you some kind of Basenotes golden nose award, I would, because of all the things I've sniffed up next to Empire, 1 Million is definitely the absolute closest of them all. :beer:

Even in the opening - MASSIVE similarity. I am nowhere near the base yet, and I just see huge similarity.

I think that Empire has a softer, more opaque and oriental smell, and 1 Million has more of a semi-transparent, cool fougere smell. But there are definitely several matched accords and aromachemicals, because the overall similarity is unmistakable.

If you look at it as a 1 Million clone, it's not all that good. But if you look at it more toward the oriental side, like something comparable to Play Intense, then it seems really like an improvement, because interesting elements from 1 Million have been added.

Coffeewood 1 Million. That's my take at the moment.

Pretty much my assessment from the opening too. Maybe 1 Million with a sweet creamy vanilla or tonka bean in the background, but not the sickening sweet either.. just enough to make it slightly different. I've read some compare it to 212 VIP, which I've smelled on a sample stick at Sephora, not on skin, but I see the resemblance.

I feel projection on this was pretty monstrous too, even 4 hours in. I've worn it twice thus far, and have a big boy 3.3 oz bottle. I doubt I'll ever use the whole thing in my lifetime, since it's so strong, and playful, I don't like doing more than 2 sprays on stuff like this. I need to wear it out more though to get a better feel of it. I'm not even a big fan of 1 Million, but I have friends who swear by it, and I know it's probably one of the biggest sellers in malls across the US. So I'm positive people will get more into Empire if they see more people talking about it.

I think the best thing about it, is that it didn't come off cheap from when I wore it, unless you think 1 Million smells cheap. Golden Secret actually does smell cheap, it actually does smell like a rip off of 1 Million. Empire actually smells like 1 Million.. but I think even stronger, as its base keeps it going.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Pretty much my assessment from the opening too. Maybe 1 Million with a sweet creamy vanilla or tonka bean in the background, but not the sickening sweet either.. just enough to make it slightly different. I've read some compare it to 212 VIP, which I've smelled on a sample stick at Sephora, not on skin, but I see the resemblance.

I feel projection on this was pretty monstrous too, even 4 hours in. I've worn it twice thus far, and have a big boy 3.3 oz bottle. I doubt I'll ever use the whole thing in my lifetime, since it's so strong, and playful, I don't like doing more than 2 sprays on stuff like this. I need to wear it out more though to get a better feel of it. I'm not even a big fan of 1 Million, but I have friends who swear by it, and I know it's probably one of the biggest sellers in malls across the US. So I'm positive people will get more into Empire if they see more people talking about it.

I think the best thing about it, is that it didn't come off cheap from when I wore it, unless you think 1 Million smells cheap. Golden Secret actually does smell cheap, it actually does smell like a rip off of 1 Million. Empire actually smells like 1 Million.. but I think even stronger, as its base keeps it going.

I'll have to see if I have a sample of 212 VIP. The 3-way comparison could be interesting.

On my skin, things have now gotten down well into the heart of both. I'm getting more of that sweet mega-projection from 1 Million, and more "wears closely but strongly" from Empire. In that respect, 1 Million seems more like a clubbing scent. Perhaps Empire is good for people who think 1 Million is too overpowering, but otherwise liked it.

We'll have to see how things go as far as longevity. I'm thinking that 1 Million has the edge so far. Both are running strong, but 1 Million maybe more so.

Still-Life With Red Rob

Apr 16, 2013
Lets be honest here trump probably wears a bespoke Creed.
Yes, or his wife gets him Clive Christian, or something like that.

Cyclamen are very nice flowers.
Regards,
Renato
LOL! Thank you:rolleyesold:

I'll break out my sample of 1 Million and give it a test later!
Not a favorable comparison. Eww. (sorry 1 million lovers) Should a 70 year old in a suit smell like that? Hmmm.

(Borderline political content removed and replaced with the current thread warning.)

THREAD WARNING ADDED 01/15/2017

New posts with any political or similar non-fragrance content, even vague references and harmless jokes, will be edited or removed without warning. Bans may be imposed, at the discretion of the moderators. Existing posts will be left standing or edited to remove political content, again at the discretion of the mods. Please limit discussion to the fragrance, its marketing, availability, and other normal Basenotes concerns.

Thank you for your understanding. -RP

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Not a favorable comparison. Eww. (sorry 1 million lovers) Should a 70 year old in a suit smell like that? Hmmm.

That's actually a great point. If this fragrance was in any way a reworking of 1 Million, then that change (make it more appealing to an older guy who wants 1 Million toned down) makes sense as an explanation of the fragrance. The piercing fougère accord of 1 Million is gone, and it's no longer a young clubber beast mode blankety blank you-know-what. I think what I'm wondering most is whose idea was the 1 Million similarity?

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
This fragrance smells like 212 VIP's fruity aquatic opening.

And it stays that way... it does get a bit sweet and creamy in the drydown, but it's linear and identical to 212 VIP's screechy opening.

jaycrew3

Dec 19, 2016
This fragrance smells like 212 VIP's fruity aquatic opening.

And it stays that way... it does get a bit sweet and creamy in the drydown, but it's linear and identical to 212 VIP's screechy opening.

I just tried 212 Man but I thought It smelled somewhat feminine. Not sure if that is different than 212 VIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News