Domenico Caraceni.... EdP???

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Guess I missed something.

Domenico Caraceni has a special place in my heart. It was the first scent I bought after discovering Basenotes and the scent that led me to discovering the Scent Bar.

I just looked in Lucky Scent and see they have quietly relaunched it (for the second time) as an EdP version. And they doubled the price. It's now $245US for 100ml.

Anyone have any experience with this EdP version?

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Wasn't aware there was an EDP version. Interesting.
It appears now that is it ONLY available as an EdP version. It used to be a wet shaver favorite, and got a little traction here.
But they discontinued it for a time in the early 2010s...then brought back a reformulated EdT.

At some point in the past couple of years they evidently dropped the EdT and shifted to EdP. Or perhaps Lucky Scent only carries the EdP. Availability was never the strong suit of this frag. Spritzed some on yesterday and it took me back to my Basenotes beginnings. Rosey, soapy, clean, barbershoppy. "Old Fashioned" sprung to mind when I was wearing it.

I am perpetually POed that they discontinued their shaving cream. It smelled great, worked well, was opulent and pricey.

Last edited:

fishercb

Jul 31, 2006
DC has recently reformulated and relaunched this fragrance as an EDP. The previous EDT variant is no longer being produced. I first bought this fragrance in Rome in 2000 and this new EDP is very much like the original EDT of that era.The most recent EDT...now discontinued....was a shadow of the original. It's an excellent fragrance and if you are a fan of the original variant you'll be pleased. Highly recommended.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
DC has recently reformulated and relaunched this fragrance as an EDP. The previous EDT variant is no longer being produced. I first bought this fragrance in Rome in 2000 and this new EDP is very much like the original EDT of that era.The most recent EDT...now discontinued....was a shadow of the original. It's an excellent fragrance and if you are a fan of the original variant you'll be pleased. Highly recommended.
I have a nearly full bottle of the EdT from appx 2011, so not in a rush to get more. But glad to hear positive input from someone that is familiar with the brand through the years. Kind bummed about the giant price jump though.

They can probably get away with it. Strikes me this is a scent with a hardcore small following like guys who have been buying Polo since the 70s. It hasn't gotten much forum traction here since around 2010 or so, and I think it was in it's discontinued phase when Fragantica launched.

Jul 7, 2012
Are we talking about Domenico Caraceni 1913? ...as an EDP? I'm having trouble imagining that one being better in a heavier concentration.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is excellent, but it's also rather odd. It's a super soapy rose with a bit of a tobacco base. It's what a goth shoegazer-band's front man wears to work at the office.

"Hey, so... I asked for the TPS reports, but you gave me five pages of lyrics about being too depressed to enjoy the day a meteorite hits the Earth, bringing about the end of the world... but... I do have to say, you smell really good. Is that a new cologne?"

Domenico Caraceni 1913.
At the end of the world, you'll smell too good to acknowledge that it's the end of the world.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Are we talking about Domenico Caraceni 1913? ...as an EDP? I'm having trouble imagining that one being better in a heavier concentration.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is excellent, but it's also rather odd. It's a super soapy rose with a bit of a tobacco base. It's what a goth shoegazer-band's front man wears to work at the office.

"Hey, so... I asked for the TPS reports, but you gave me five pages of lyrics about being too depressed to enjoy the day a meteorite hits the Earth, bringing about the end of the world... but... I do have to say, you smell really good. Is that a new cologne?"

Domenico Caraceni 1913.
At the end of the world, you'll smell too good to acknowledge that it's the end of the world.
LOL. That's quite a review.

Yes, also called Domenica Caraceni 1913 which I don't think was really technically its name, but it helped distinguish it from a couple of other scents they used to make.

Reading between the lines of fishercb's notes, it sounds like they discontinued the original -relaunched it as a weaker reformulation EdT- then dropped that and replaced it with an EdP version which is evidently sort of back to the strength of the original EdT. There's a review on Lucky Scent which mirrors that comment.

As a bit of a retired clothes horse, I gather that Domenico Caraceni is/was a renowned Italian clothier but have never seen evidence of his stuff in my world.

Jul 7, 2012
I was feeling inspired by this thread, so I pulled out my sample for a wear. I'm down to the last few drops, but a little goes a long way, so I might have enough for one more wear.

I don't think this is something I'd buy, because it doesn't really suit me, but it's very good. And it's very unique. And did I mention that a little goes a long way? Holy moly. I bet this stuff is fantastic for dressed up occasions. Thumbs up!

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I was feeling inspired by this thread, so I pulled out my sample for a wear. I'm down to the last few drops, but a little goes a long way, so I might have enough for one more wear.

I don't think this is something I'd buy, because it doesn't really suit me, but it's very good. And it's very unique. And did I mention that a little goes a long way? Holy moly. I bet this stuff is fantastic for dressed up occasions. Thumbs up!
Nice. It's funny to see how our perceptions and tastes change. I first bought DC 1913 in 2009 and thought it was very formal and serious.
I still think it's suitable for dressing up, but would wear it anytime. It has morphed in my mind into a somewhat soapy, rosy, European barbershop scent.

It is pretty unique. Fairly similar to C&S No 88. When I first started here those two were duking it out a bit in the manly rose category. Washington Tremlett Black Tie was a distant third.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
I love the original. Since the producer has gone bust (Forrester, Milano, who also made Tremlett and Czech and Speake and who had an amazing rose geranium accord), does anyone know who actually makes this juice?

mrupp

Aug 18, 2009
I love the original. Since the producer has gone bust (Forrester, Milano, who also made Tremlett and Czech and Speake and who had an amazing rose geranium accord)...

What Forrester Milano has created for men's floral perfumes in this brilliant perfection is probably irreplaceable and lost forever.

For those who are interested in the original: The fragrance came in two variants. The older one has a matte cap and the bottle is a little bit higher. After that, the fragrance was available in the n lower bottle with the shiny, serrated cap. See my picture (sorry for the poor picture quality):

Male-Roses-Forrester-Milano.jpg

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
It's what a goth shoegazer-band's front man wears to work at the office.
(IIRC, I heard this on an episode of Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion)

Q: What's the difference between an introverted Finn and an extroverted Finn?
A: The introvert looks at his shoes when he talks to you; the extrovert looks at your shoes.

Monsieur Montana

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2015
I love the original. Since the producer has gone bust (Forrester, Milano, who also made Tremlett and Czech and Speake and who had an amazing rose geranium accord), does anyone know who actually makes this juice?
there is no company mentioned.
Made by Sartoria Domenico Caraceni is attested on the bottom of the bottle. Also in a small leaflet which comes in the pouch.

BDE63A46-9E6B-4AB4-9A2D-EE020E459C35.jpeg
569BFA98-EDA9-436E-BB50-1D234BC4C5C3.jpeg

That’s the EdT

2AF9AE0F-F281-4390-B3E5-395CEA274612.jpeg

MM

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...