Do any of you refuse to buy tester bottles? If so, why?

nitrqm3

Jan 24, 2022
I don’t get tester for the single reason that they can easily be Fake I don’t know how exposed was to sun light or any type of light or humid element how long was sitting in a place and who had it before me so I rather buy new or full presentation with bottles for the peace of my own mind. Ps I’m very picky and have ocd with stuff so imagine how I will be question myself about a tester bottle.

Robert G.

Nov 19, 2009
While the following might not be true for all brands, I was chatting with a local perfume store owner, and he told me that he received testers only for a certain amount of bottles purchased. I can't remember the exact number but it was something like one tester per twelve bottles he purchased.

So technically the testers are "free" but not really because the cost is "baked in" to having to order a certain number of bottles before qualifying to receive the tester.
Interesting. But when they end up en masse at FragranceNet and other bulk sellers, I assume appropriate compensation is realized?

D

Deleted member 26358387

I buy half used bottles at thrift stores. So yeah, testers are fine.

growly

Apr 23, 2018
No testers.

Partly because I like full presentation, including the box. I wouldn't want anything that said 'tester - not for sale' on it. Also as mentioned, testers are often faked, like all the Tom Ford Private Blend testers. I usually find a discount that makes buying a tester irrelevant anyway.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I've bought a few, mostly of fragrances I was curious about that were blind buys so I didn't want to spend too much. I'm happy I did, although 2 of them didn't come with caps which is annoying. I think you can buy them with confidence from the major discounters like fragrancenet.

There's a few brands I really love and have more of a "collector" mindset when buying them so I will only buy the full new presentation.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
While I like a nice presentation, my main interest is the juice and if the price is right, as it usually was for me on ebay in the good old days, a tester it is. I bought a fair amount of designer scent testers for under 5 bucks. When Creed was in the phase of dumping flacons on the grey market you got testers of Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather, Orange Spice, heck, vintage Tab, for under 50 Euros. These days it seems to me tester availability is more restricted. I used to source fragrances from regular tester dealers who were connected to grey market supply lines and that market has completely dried up. Now, I assume, alot of testers are fake, like so much perfume on ebay and the like.

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
I bought three Heritage Eau De Parfum testers since I already have three wood caps from my other bottles when I get to them in the future. When fragrances get scarce or price is too good testers are a no brainer. My favorite is when it says tester or demonstration etched on the bottom of the glass bottle no one will see it!

firstascent

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 10, 2022
I prefer full presentation, it's part of the experience :) also I don't want to take the chance of not getting a cap, that would drive me nuts to have a bottle here and there missing the cap lol

If there was something I REALLY wanted and I could only find a tester, sure, I'll make an exception. But if I have a choice, full presentation always.

DEdestroyer77

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 25, 2017
Zero issue buying testers. Something I learned over the years, it's a great way to get older - sometimes pre reformulation of great frags. Not always the case, but there's normally older batch testers available vs retail bottles. Just food for thought

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
I don't buy them because I like to keep my bottles inside their boxes. I like the full presentation. I've only bought a used fragrance on eBay once and it too came with box.

Latest News