Discontinuation of Chanel N°19 Poudré

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
I had posted this in the “what did you buy today thread” but wanted to make sure those of you who love this one saw this. Maybe you already know and I’m just latecomer to the news. But I was looking for this fragrance and playing around with the idea of purchasing it for a while. A few weeks ago it seemed readily available, and for the past few days I’ve noticed it seemed to be out of stock at most retailers.

So I called my local Chanel Boutique to see if they had it… sometimes the boutiques have stock that’s not on the official website.

SA told me that it’s discontinued 🥺

It’s already marked up by $100 on some grey market sites.

But Harrods still has it. I ordered there and have fingers crossed that they don’t cancel my order (Nordstrom’s and neimans does that all the time and it infuriates me!).

If you’re in the USA like me, delivery from harrods is an additional $40+ but still better than the $100+ markup on the grey market.

I hope any of you that needs a backup bottle can get your hands on it.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I've been trying to buy this one for the past few months patiently waiting for it to show back in stock on the U.S. website. I had asked at a few Chanel counters, they said it would come back eventually. But I think OP might be right as I don't see it at all on the Chanel website now. Before it was at least showing as "backorder" which I tried 2 months ago but eventually my order was cancelled.

I wonder if it is another casualty of the lillial ban?

I went ahead and ordered it from Selfridges, also noticed jomashop has it for a decent price, though still marked up from retail.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Ah and I checked again it is still on the U.S. site, it just wasn't coming up when I searched. But before it had the option to "backorder" and now it just says "out of stock".

Who knows, SA's are often ill informed, the one I spoke to at Bergdorf assured me it would be back eventually. But on the other hand, when murmurs of discontinuation start to circulate they often end up being true.

I have a hunch this one might not actually be discontinued because Chanel almost never outright discontinues something. I found a bunch of old threads bemoaning the discontinuation of No. 19 EDP, but it's still around. Recently heard someone else saying now it's the EDT that will get chopped. Christalle for example is very hard to come by, but it is still on their site (though also out of stock) and I was able to get a bottle last fall. I chose the "backorder" option and behold it showed up at my door about a month later. Might just need to wait a bit for them to produce and distribute a new batch of these less popular fragrances.

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
I would be very surprised if Chanel discontinues it – I would think it's the better selling 19 of the bunch and as stated previously, Chanel is not in the discontinuation game. What could be happening is a reformulation and restocking due to aroma-chemical bans. I recall seeing most of Hermessence fragrances being out of stock for a couple of months due to this.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Ah and I checked again it is still on the U.S. site, it just wasn't coming up when I searched. But before it had the option to "backorder" and now it just says "out of stock".

Who knows, SA's are often ill informed, the one I spoke to at Bergdorf assured me it would be back eventually. But on the other hand, when murmurs of discontinuation start to circulate they often end up being true.

I have a hunch this one might not actually be discontinued because Chanel almost never outright discontinues something. I found a bunch of old threads bemoaning the discontinuation of No. 19 EDP, but it's still around. Recently heard someone else saying now it's the EDT that will get chopped. Christalle for example is very hard to come by, but it is still on their site (though also out of stock) and I was able to get a bottle last fall. I chose the "backorder" option and behold it showed up at my door about a month later. Might just need to wait a bit for them to produce and distribute a new batch of these less popular fragrances.

I would be very surprised if Chanel discontinues it – I would think it's the better selling 19 of the bunch and as stated previously, Chanel is not in the discontinuation game. What could be happening is a reformulation and restocking due to aroma-chemical bans. I recall seeing most of Hermessence fragrances being out of stock for a couple of months due to this.
I hope you guys are right, but I don’t understand why an SA would say it’s discontinued if it’s not. Wouldn’t they be serving the customers as well as the business better if they just said it will be back in due time?

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
I hope you guys are right, but I don’t understand why an SA would say it’s discontinued if it’s not. Wouldn’t they be serving the customers as well as the business better if they just said it will be back in due time?

No idea, I hope it's just an ill-informed SA (dumb) :)

Just checked and N°19 Poudré is available on the German chanel.com

Kkao65O.png

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004

SAs often say things are discontinued when they may be unavailable for a less drastic reason.

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
I had posted this in the “what did you buy today thread” but wanted to make sure those of you who love this one saw this. Maybe you already know and I’m just latecomer to the news. But I was looking for this fragrance and playing around with the idea of purchasing it for a while. A few weeks ago it seemed readily available, and for the past few days I’ve noticed it seemed to be out of stock at most retailers.

So I called my local Chanel Boutique to see if they had it… sometimes the boutiques have stock that’s not on the official website.

But Harrods still has it. I ordered there and have fingers crossed that they don’t cancel my order (Nordstrom’s and neimans does that all the time and it infuriates me!).

If you’re in the USA like me, delivery from harrods is an additional $40+ but still better than the $100+ markup on the grey market.

I was told by Chanel customer service in February that this was being discontinued. According to her, it wasn't a big seller. I think the issue with this fragrance is that it was too light and had no lasting power. The sprayer made you think of a body mist but this performed a lot worse than many body mists on the market. I have a parfum from the 80's and 4 little dabs provided beautiful silage that lasted from early morning until I washed it off later that night. While I don't expect an edp to perform the same way, I do think it should last more than just a few hours, especially with the prices being asked. I'm not surprised this is being removed from their lineup.

pfranka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010
I heard from a generally reliable European SA that Chanel are discontinuing the 50ml of 19 Poudre only, and that 100ml will still be available. It can be out of stock on the websites occasionally.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I have a funny update from my attempt to buy it, I ordered from Selfridges a couple weeks ago and the day it was set to arrive i got the notification it was delivered and ran downstairs to see... nothing is there. Later I got a delivery confirmation picture from DHL of a lobby I do not recognize -_-

I saw on selfridges only 2 left in stock, then the next day 1 left in stock, so I went ahead and just bought it again rather than risk it selling out while I wait for DHL/Selfridges to resolve this.

So I guess if they end up locating the package and getting it to me I'll have an extra bottle, otherwise someone in my neighborhood has got themselves a free one!

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017

Hoping you receive your bottle soon! Sounds well worth the Harrods shipping fee. :)

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Hoping you receive your bottle soon! Sounds well worth the Harrods shipping fee. :)
Oh I’ve had it for a while now! Harrods is so fast! I like when luxury stores actually give luxury service! Harrods is a good one for sure. And I was definitely correct…. I LOVE 19 Poudrè! At this point I honestly doubt that Jacque Polge can do any wrong in my eyes lol. I think he’s the first perfumer that I can say without a doubt is one of my favorites. I have been trying to pay attention to who the noses are on my favorite perfumes, but he’s the only one that’s consistently a yes for me. I also look forward to how his son’s career will develop over time as the new chanel in house perfumer, but so far, dad is still better in my book lol.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Oh I’ve had it for a while now! Harrods is so fast! I like when luxury stores actually give luxury service! Harrods is a good one for sure. And I was definitely correct…. I LOVE 19 Poudrè! At this point I honestly doubt that Jacque Polge can do any wrong in my eyes lol. I think he’s the first perfumer that I can say without a doubt is one of my favorites. I have been trying to pay attention to who the noses are on my favorite perfumes, but he’s the only one that’s consistently a yes for me. I also look forward to how his son’s career will develop over time as the new chanel in house perfumer, but so far, dad is still better in my book lol.
Oh, good!! Happy to hear that. Didn't realize this was an older post. Yes, Jacque Polge is a legend indeed.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Bernard Chant--the creator of the original aramis and other aramis fragrances, is another favorite perfumer of mine.
Awesome! I will look him up and see if I have any of his creations. It doesn’t sound familiar, but I’ve only recently started paying attention

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
I have a funny update from my attempt to buy it, I ordered from Selfridges a couple weeks ago and the day it was set to arrive i got the notification it was delivered and ran downstairs to see... nothing is there. Later I got a delivery confirmation picture from DHL of a lobby I do not recognize -_-

I saw on selfridges only 2 left in stock, then the next day 1 left in stock, so I went ahead and just bought it again rather than risk it selling out while I wait for DHL/Selfridges to resolve this.

So I guess if they end up locating the package and getting it to me I'll have an extra bottle, otherwise someone in my neighborhood has got themselves a free one!
Oh my! I hope you are able to get your money back if they never deliver that previous order to you! That really stinks! And I hope you receive your new order quickly! I’m loving it! It’s such a beautiful scent! People say it’s fleeting but it lasts a good 4 hrs on me, which is about where most of my fragrances fall. I have a couple here and there that last like 10 hrs or more, but not many at all.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Oh my! I hope you are able to get your money back if they never deliver that previous order to you! That really stinks! And I hope you receive your new order quickly! I’m loving it! It’s such a beautiful scent! People say it’s fleeting but it lasts a good 4 hrs on me, which is about where most of my fragrances fall. I have a couple here and there that last like 10 hrs or more, but not many at all.
Yes, Selfridges was quick to issue a refund and the second bottle came today. Still, I hate that one bottle of this limited fragrance was lost, hopefully whoever's doorstep it landed on appreciates it!

Also an interesting update, I checked the batch code on the bottle that just arrived and it shows April 2022. That seems quite recent to produce new batches of a discontinued fragrance. I have a feeling that Chanel just might keep this in production in occasional very limited batches as they have done with others like Christalle and some of the pure perfumes.

pfranka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010
Yes, Selfridges was quick to issue a refund and the second bottle came today. Still, I hate that one bottle of this limited fragrance was lost, hopefully whoever's doorstep it landed on appreciates it!

Also an interesting update, I checked the batch code on the bottle that just arrived and it shows April 2022. That seems quite recent to produce new batches of a discontinued fragrance. I have a feeling that Chanel just might keep this in production in occasional very limited batches as they have done with others like Christalle and some of the pure perfumes.
For what it's worth, I wrote Steven at Place Vendome in Belgium regarding this, and he said that Chanel only discontinued No. 19 Poudre in the 50ml size. I just bought a 100ml at my local Chanel boutique with a batch code from February 2022 (or November/December 2021 depending upon which site I used to check it...).

Rodolfo

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 2, 2008
When Nº19 Poudré came out on the market I remember reading that the idea of launching this version arose from a production of orris butter of exceptional quality. So I tried it and bought a 100 ml bottle because I quite liked the aroma (I don't remember that there was a 50 ml version so, am I wrong?).
I have always been a fan of vintage Nº19 and the new poudré seemed to me to be a totally unisex fragrance with, certainly, a very generous and expansive note of orris, nice quality. It reminded me of a greener, more feminine version of MPG's Iris Bleu Gris, with that dry, powdery accord coming from a clear overdose of rhizomes! However, after a few months I put it aside; It was too perfumey for my taste and perhaps less unisex than I thought from my point of view.

I also saw a different version afterwards, at least in design: the color of the fragrance changed to a much paler, yellowish green, and I think the design of the bottle changed a bit as well. Mine had a more intense green color. I don't know if this implies any change in the fragrance, and I say this because the bottle that I had smelled strongly, it was a soft fragrance with no edges but with body and presence. Already removing the stopper I could smell the orris note intensely!
Interestingly, I kept it until two months ago when I sold it for about $70, I didn't know it had been discontinued.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022

Oh interesting. The world of fragrances is newer to me than other areas of interest… I am still wading through information and misinformation. I do find it odd that Chanel would allow employees to spread misinformation and rumors, and I definitely apologize if I had any part in that. In my mind, a sales associate at a chanel boutique was a reliable source. How infuriating it must be to be confronted with stuff like this constantly. I really do not understand why the brand condones such behavior. I’m glad it appears to not be discontinued though. It’s proving to be a favorite of mine already and I hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
I don't know if they intend to spread misinformation, I think it's probably more the case that they lack the requisite information but feel they still have to say something.

I've noticed recently many SAs just saying to me, I don't know when or if (x fragrance) is going to be stock, we just get stock sent to us and it can be anything. At least that's honest!

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Oh interesting. The world of fragrances is newer to me than other areas of interest… I am still wading through information and misinformation. I do find it odd that Chanel would allow employees to spread misinformation and rumors, and I definitely apologize if I had any part in that. In my mind, a sales associate at a chanel boutique was a reliable source. How infuriating it must be to be confronted with stuff like this constantly. I really do not understand why the brand condones such behavior. I’m glad it appears to not be discontinued though. It’s proving to be a favorite of mine already and I hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

Don’t feel too bad. Companies can be notorious for leaving their salespeople in the dark about products and perfume events. It’s gotten to the point where customers who go on the internet to learn about perfume happenings end up being the ones to inform the SAs of the latest perfume news. It happens here often.

pfranka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010
When Nº19 Poudré came out on the market I remember reading that the idea of launching this version arose from a production of orris butter of exceptional quality. So I tried it and bought a 100 ml bottle because I quite liked the aroma (I don't remember that there was a 50 ml version so, am I wrong?).
I have always been a fan of vintage Nº19 and the new poudré seemed to me to be a totally unisex fragrance with, certainly, a very generous and expansive note of orris, nice quality. It reminded me of a greener, more feminine version of MPG's Iris Bleu Gris, with that dry, powdery accord coming from a clear overdose of rhizomes! However, after a few months I put it aside; It was too perfumey for my taste and perhaps less unisex than I thought from my point of view.

I also saw a different version afterwards, at least in design: the color of the fragrance changed to a much paler, yellowish green, and I think the design of the bottle changed a bit as well. Mine had a more intense green color. I don't know if this implies any change in the fragrance, and I say this because the bottle that I had smelled strongly, it was a soft fragrance with no edges but with body and presence. Already removing the stopper I could smell the orris note intensely!
Interestingly, I kept it until two months ago when I sold it for about $70, I didn't know it had been discontinued.
There was a 50ml version (I had 2 and still have one), and I noticed a difference in scent between my bottles from 2011 and 2015 which didn't seem to be only from ageing, but hey, who knows. It seemed to me that my 2011 bottle was more unisex, and had a similarity with Chanel Eau de Cologne, unlike my later bottle. I love them all, though. Definitely one of my favorites from Chanel.

pfranka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010
Agree with you about uninformed SAs (whether they are misled or not). I was told, back in 2018, by a Guerlain SA at their Champs Elysees flagship boutique that Ne M'Oubliez Pas was no longer produced and that I should therefore grab one of the last bottles they had. It turned out not to be true (at the time), though a few years later it did come to pass, unfortunately.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I do find it odd that Chanel would allow employees to spread misinformation and rumors..:In my mind, a sales associate at a chanel boutique was a reliable source…I really do not understand why the brand condones such behavior.
I’m sure they don’t condone it: I’m sure they aren’t aware, but I’ve been an SA for a beauty brand, and I can confirm that they don’t tell us much, and what we do find out is from our regional managers who show up every month or two to do a training, reclaim or bring sample products, and observe SA performance. They work remotely like a salesperson, it seems they lack connectedness to the brand, as well.

Like @pfranka said, SA’s are pretty uninformed, but don’t want to be perceived that way. And cautioning about discontinuations (from rumors or incidental product order knowledge) can likely help their sales, which they are generally desperate for as commission-based workers.

Personally I’m always telling SAs and counter managers things they don’t know. Some love it and try to hire me; others aren’t so fond because my knowledge base makes them feel ininformed.

Latest News