Dior Homme Parfum 2021 batch 1601

zecko

Sep 25, 2021
So, I received a 100 ml DHP in mail a couple days ago, and was very underwhelmed by its performance, especially considering how much DHP's longevity and sillage are generally praised. I know there's a debate over whether the juice has been reformulated or not when the bottle size was changed, but not many people would apparently consider the 2020 DHP a weak-to-moderate fragrance. In contrast, my DHP becomes more or less a skin scent after ~2 hours, and is nowhere to be found after ~5 hours (cannot be olfactory fatigue as my SO or family members cannot really smell it either). So not a particularly strong fragrance by any means.

The bottle is bought from a seemingly trustworthy eBay seller with one single negative review out 20,000 fragrance-related transactions (Also, the one negative review was about the shipping, not about the product itself). Hence, I'm inclined to think that the bottle is legitimate.

The batch of my DHP is 1601, which, according to CheckCosmetic.net is from January 2021. I've been searching all over the internet for reviews or experiences of that particular batch (or any 2021 batch for that matter) but with no luck.

The formualtion code still seems to be 08642/A, suggesting the formulation is still same as before, though.

Does anyone here have any experience with the batch 1601 or any other batch from 2021? Any similar experiences?

Larry Hoover

Jan 18, 2015
Most people will probably tell you in needs to ''macerate'' so you will have to come back to it after some time. I haven't tested a 2021 batch myself, but I wouldn't doubt anyone who told me the scent is somehow (even if minor) tweaked here and there. By the way, and this could be due to my own ignorance, but I thought Dior used one letter in their batch codes? Never seen an all four digit batch code. But this could very well be a new format of course.

zecko

Sep 25, 2021
Most people will probably tell you in needs to ''macerate'' so you will have to come back to it after some time. I haven't tested a 2021 batch myself, but I wouldn't doubt anyone who told me the scent is somehow (even if minor) tweaked here and there. By the way, and this could be due to my own ignorance, but I thought Dior used one letter in their batch codes? Never seen an all four digit batch code. But this could very well be a new format of course.

Oh god, this is embarrassing. You're absolutely right, the code does indeed have a letter; it's 1G01, not 1601. I swear the letter G in the code that is printed on the box looks more like a six than a G! Now that I checked the code printed on the bottle, it's clearly a G. Thanks for pointing this out.

Anyways, CheckCosmetic.net says the batch 1G01 is from July 2021, so it's still a 2021 batch. And unfortunately no luck whatsoever with googling about that batch either.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
What price did you pay for your bottle? I ask because in most cases, the prices for this perfume are speculative.

Last edited:

zecko

Sep 25, 2021
What price did you pay for your bottle? I ask because in most cases, the prices for this perfume are speculative. Although retailers try to convince us that the perfume from the 75 mm bottle is the same as the new one from the 100 ml bottle. this is not true. I have DHP 75ml. which lasts literally 24 hours on my skin, and that after two showers.

Paid 118 EUR + shipping.

Dang, I really, really wish I'd get the same sort of performance from my DHP. Well, I guess, I'll let this sit for a while, and if the performance does not change for the better, I'll have to sell it and invest in an older DHP.

zecko

Sep 25, 2021
I have 2021 batch 1B01 and it is very strong. I used it yesterday during the day and put only two really small half sprays and it lasted well all day and I still felt it the next morning.

Glad to hear positive experiences from 2021 batches! Gives me hope that my DHP will get stronger eventually :') Also, nice to see a fellow Finn here.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
The new Dior Homme Parfum is watered down very noticeably, same as the new Dior Homme Intense.
Both still have the "old" 2019 formulation code printed on the box, but that obviously doesn't mean anything.

In a German forum where good fragrance buys were shared there were massive complaints about bad performance lately. Those guys bought their bottles from authorized sellers so there's no way they all got fakes.

It is what it is.
I personally think that DHP 100 ml is still one of the stronger fragrances but it's not anywhere near the old 75 ml one in terms of projection, longevity and complexity and quality of the scent itself.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
The new Dior Homme Parfum is watered down very noticeably, same as the new Dior Homme Intense.
Both still have the "old" 2019 formulation code printed on the box, but that obviously doesn't mean anything.

In a German forum where good fragrance buys were shared there were massive complaints about bad performance lately. Those guys bought their bottles from authorized sellers so there's no way they all got fakes.

It is what it is.
I personally think that DHP 100 ml is still one of the stronger fragrances but it's not anywhere near the old 75 ml one in terms of projection, longevity and complexity and quality of the scent itself.
Just a few days ago, I thought so too. But now that I have both versions, I can say that this is exactly the same perfume, without any difference.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
Just a few days ago, I thought so too. But now that I have both versions, I can say that this is exactly the same perfume, without any difference.

Did you compare it to a 2018 or older bottle of DHP?
Some guys said that DHP was already watered down a bit in mid 2019.

I bought several batches from 2018 when Dior said it was discontinued and it was gone from the shelves everywhere for months.
I've noticed that there were recognizable batch to batch tolerances, one of them was very waxy smelling which I didn't like.
When it came back in early 2019 I also tried that one and it was great.
Also have an older 2016 one.

Don't get me wrong, the newer ones are still very good and of course not weak - it's the top of the line flanker of the Dior Homme range.
When I asked the Dior support about the new 2020 DHI and DHP they told me that both fragrances got "smaller changes" smellwise - and I asked why they haven't changed the formulation code then, which they couldn't answer.

It also doesn't make sense if Dior was looking to cut costs down (which they did when using the thinner glass for all the Dior Homme bottles), to give you 100 ml instead of the formerly 75 ml of the supposedly "same" fragrance at the same price as before. Why should they give you 33% more of the fragrance for free? Dior has never done something like that.

I can only give my honest opinion, no disrespect here.
If I had to choose between the older 75 ml and the newer 100 ml Dior Homme Parfum for the same price I would buy the 75 ml one without any hesitation.
BUT if you can't get your hands on the old one the new one is certainly also buy worthy and still one of the best Diors.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
Larger quantities are not free, 100 ml is more expensive. I bought the old bottle for 110 €, and now the new 100ml costs 134 € on the official website. Of course I paid a lower price than officially announced. In addition, the perfume (juice) itself costs the manufacturer no more than a few dollars. And now I will repeat once again that the contents of the two bottles are exactly the same, my 75ml is from 2019. In fact, I don't mind people continuing to think that 75ml is better because today I decided to release for selling my old bottle and immediately found a person to pay me the amount I can pay, two 100 ml bottles and that's exactly what I will do. I will sell it, and I will buy a second 100 ml, this time a tester, because it is even cheaper.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
Партиден код на старата бутилка 9D01 , което означава месец април 2019 г.

Last edited:

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks for looking that up.

If that one really smells the same I would also sell that one and get two 100 ml instead.

I still have my 75 ml backups which I could easily sell for double the price I've paid which I haven't done yet because I just like them better than the newer ones. But probably at some point I will because that stuff is so potent that I'll never use up all bottles.

I gave a sprayed tester strip to someone who put it her purse and you still got the smell weeks later.

Another "fun fact":

DHP 75 ml was already chosen by several people as one of or THE best fragrance in my collection - by people who don't know anything about brands and their prices. And I also have a lot of those so called "crowd pleasers" like some of the newer Armani, Prada, Valentino, YSL La Nuit (old formulation), all the likeable PDMs etc..
I've never thought that because you also hear some people calling DHP an "old grandma smell" from time to time - so I thought that it would be a little bit more polarizing. But it isn't and everyone who smelled it here and compard it to other fragrances liked it a lot.
And as a side note: Also much more than DHI.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
Reading comments saying that the new editions have been reformulated, I first thought that the authors of these posts are came across a fake bottle. So later, I decided to look for a photo or description of what a fake 100ml bottle looks like, but surprisingly for me, I didn't get a single post or photo of a fake. This makes me think that there are still no fake 100 ml., But I do not understand why there are people who say that the perfume does not stay on their skin, even for an hour...

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
It certainly should last longer than an hour.
I don't know what went wrong there. Some are probably exaggerating a tiny little bit. :D

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
Yes, I also think that some people just talk without even seeing the perfume live, and there are probably some who do it in order to maintain the hype, about 75 ml. for commercial purposes.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I don't know.

As far as I've seen the hype is more around DHI than DHP.

But I also think that there are people who know both the older and the newer bottles of DHP and want the older 75 ml ones for a reason and are therefore willing to pay the higher prices.

The 75 ml ones are getting harder and harder to find and maybe will also increase even further in price just because they have a collector's value.
So it's not a waste of money if you really buy the older ones - you will always be able to sell them off if you don't like it anymore without a big loss.

The same applies to the old Dior Homme EdT bottles (pre-2020/"Original").

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
My observations, as well as my personal experience, show that whoever had the opportunity to make a direct comparison between 75ml and 100ml. no longer insists so much to buy 75 ml, but just wants DHP, no matter what bottle. Personally, I already prefer 100ml.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I experienced exactly the opposite.
And the people I talked to about the new 2020 DHI and DHP have been using these fragrances for years, have large, high-quality collections, and are also very knowledgeable about fragrances.
When DHI was changed to the 2020 version, several SAs independently reported that there were many customers who returned their bottles because they were not satisfied with the scent. These are real world experiences not some influencer talk (who may probably don't dare to say anything negative about Dior and especially these beloved fragrances).

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
As for DHI, it's clear, it's been reformulated many times and it's no secret to anyone, the manufacturer doesn't hide it either. But as for DHP, it's the same perfume from the beginning. When I have both versions in my hands, I don't care at all what people say, because I have the opportunity to judge for myself what the truth is. Whoever wants to buy 75ml for $ 400, I don't mind, yours doesn't bother me, on the contrary it helps me.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
As for DHI, it's clear, it's been reformulated many times and it's no secret to anyone, the manufacturer doesn't hide it either.

DHI 2020 has the same formulation code written on the box as DHI 2019 or DHI 2018.
That's why I posted this as an example because with DHI 2020 there's more common sense that it doesn't smell like a 2019 or 2018 one anymore.

But as for DHP, it's the same perfume from the beginning. When I have both versions in my hands, I don't care at all what people say, because I have the opportunity to judge for myself what the truth is.

I guess you've misunderstood something:

I totally believe you that your April 2019 75 ml DHP smells the same as your 2021 100 ml DHP.
That's why I asked if you could look up the batch.

The last ones I can confirm smelling like older 75 ml bottles were the January 2019 batches, those which were produced after Dior revised their descision to discontinue it and brought it back - but not in huge amounts. At that time even the Dior boutiques only got a few bottles though they wanted much more. There even were waiting lists because it was that scarce. That January batches were sold out within a few days everywhere.

Later in 2019 they continued producing it but with a lower quality if you ask me. In mid 2019 there were the first complaints that it doesn't smell and perform the same anymore - but of course not every guy who bought a bottle in let's say July 2019 got a brandnew batch from that month. Those could also have been batches from April... I don't know as I don't have any April 2019 batch.

All I say is that current DHP 100 ml is NOT the same as pre 2019 DHP 75 ml (except January 2019, more precisely 9A02, which was still great).

I'm not the only one who thinks so and that's the reason why people are paying big money for older 75 ml bottles.
Of course everyone is entitled to decide for themselves if it's worth it or not.

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
The first edition of DHI is from 2011, not 2018. Until a year ago, it was not said that anyone was dissatisfied with DHP, no matter what the batch code was. Suddenly, however, when 100ml appeared with the same accuracy, negative comments began to appear. I understand that this is marketing and many people believe in such conspiracies, so they are willing to pay more money without even knowing what they are giving it for. These are the same people who buy a pure white T-shirt with the Dior logo for $ 400, which actually costs $ 2, but they believe they made the great deal. This is how the scheme works in almost all areas of trade. There may be deviations in each different batch, not only for Dior products, but for all others, but this does not mean reformulation. Now I will tell you a specific example that we notice today, with other friends of mine who love perfumes. The latest batches from 2021 of DHP have a slightly better performance than those from 2020. It is especially noticeable during projection, the new ones are noticeably stronger, it irradiates with its projection powerfully for more than 4 hours. But this is hardly because they have changed the formula, probably in the next edition, this will no longer be the case.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
The first edition of DHI is from 2011, not 2018.

Where did I say that the first edition of DHI is from 2018?

Until a year ago, it was not said that anyone was dissatisfied with DHP, no matter what the batch code was. Suddenly, however, when 100ml appeared with the same accuracy, negative comments began to appear.

Negative comments appeared during 2019 when there was no 100 ml bottle around.

I understand that this is marketing and many people believe in such conspiracies, so they are willing to pay more money without even knowing what they are giving it for.

I see that you think that all people who pay a bit more for the older 75 ml bottles are idiots.
You by yourself obviously have never smelled lets say a 2018 DHP but insist that DHP never smelled different than the current 100 ml bottles.

You can read up older threads here where I've posted and have given the best current information that I've by myself got from Dior, even from the director of the German Dior department at LVMH with whom I had longer phone calls and discussed all that stuff.

When Dior was willing to discontinue DHP in late 2018 I passed that information. Anyone could have bought those 75 ml bottles back then, and if not in 2018, then in early 2019. when they did that new unexpected batch. For regular prices, not for $400 per bottle.

I'm not trying to convince you that a 2018 or January 2019 DHP is worth $400 or that you should buy one if you're happy with the 2020 and 2021 ones. Why should I?
All I do is to give my honest opinion about one of my favorite fragrances of which I've bought a lot of different batches.
There may be deviations in each different batch, not only for Dior products, but for all others, but this does not mean reformulation.

I've already posted exactly this here, that a) there was no official reformulation with DHP (and DHI either hence the formula code on the box) and b) that there are indeed batch to batch tolerances.
And of course Dior is not the only brand with those problems, fe. see my posts about Givenchy fragrances (also LVMH) or some YSL or Armani ones (L'Oreal).

I'm out here as I've already said everything twice...

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
Yesterday, I received my second 100 ml bottle of Dior Dior Homme Parfum, this time a tester. This is the same, brutal perfume that is in the official edition. The box is white, and the bottle and cap are the same, BUT there is a direct engraved inscription (not a sticker) that this is a tester and is not for sale. The batch code is 1C01, ie 2021.

rickkkkky

Sep 26, 2021
I currently own bottles from batches 1G01 (July/2021), 9H01 (Aug/2019), and 5R01 (Apr/2015), and my sincerest opinion is that the scents are extremely close to one another. And I've sat there different batches sprayed on different hands more times than I'd like to admit.

If I try to specifically look for any minute differences that there might be, then yeah, perhaps the 2021 and 2019 batches are veeery slightly brighter than the 2015 batch, but it's difficult to say whether that negligable difference is attributable to maturation or different formulation. My personal guess is the former. Either way, these differences are impossible to observe (at least to my semi-trained nose) unless you literally bury your nose into your arm.

It's the same story performance-wise; all project and last similarly. The newer batches are not watered down.

Last edited:

hdbox

Mar 7, 2020
I absolutely agree with the above opinion. In my opinion, it is extremely objective. As for the description that the wound editions are brighter - yes, they design more strongly against my old bottle, which I also attribute to the maturation process.

Latest News