Dior Homme Cologne - how many sprays do you use?

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
I’ve tested DHC in the past but just bought my first bottle a few weeks ago (current formulation). I’m struggling because - like many others have said - performance seems to be lacking. I’m familiar with all the theories but I’m wondering how many sprays others use? I’m a conservative sprayer as I like to enjoy my own fragrance but prefer not to project very much. I always spray stomach and upper back (right below back of neck) and almost never spray exposed skin. For me personally, getting wafts from under my shirt is the most enjoyable way to use fragrance.

My usual 2-3 sprays (for many of my frags) does not seem to cut it with DHC. Tried 4 sprays last week (office) which I need to try again but I was a bit self conscious for some reason. Probably because I’m a conservative sprayer so 4 seems like a lot.

So how do you guys handle DHC in an office-type setting?

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
As an undersprayer myself, I find DHC requires a heavier hand than most fragrances. I typically spray other fragrances 2-3 times, rarely more than 4 for a weaker scent, and often only 1 spray if it's stronger. DHC is more like 6-8 sprays, at least if I'm looking for normal daytime levels of mild projection and reasonable longevity. I never spray that much for anything else.

One thing with DHC is that it's an ethereal scent by nature, so it is possible the scent is present and we just go partially noseblind to it quickly. I often catch light whiffs of it much later in the day, after I assumed it was completely gone. But it's light enough that I'm not too worried 6 sprays of this will actually choke anyone out.

EDIT: just noticed you said for an office setting. I'd probably start with 4, maybe work my way up to 5 or 6, but ease into it so you don't annoy coworkers. Granted, I'm spraying from a travel sprayer - it's got a good atomizer, but I can't say how it compares to the Dior bottle so YMMV. Also, this scent is a great candidate for a travel sprayer. You can apply a few sprays in the morning, take the travel spray with you, and top it up after a few hours.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
EDIT: just noticed you said for an office setting. I'd probably start with 4, maybe work my way up to 5 or 6, but ease into it so you don't annoy coworkers.
Yes, I think that makes sense. I’ll try 4 again and see how it goes. Who knows, maybe I’ll eventually get brave enough to try 5 or 6. Btw, that’s a very helpful reply. Appreciate it.

classics4me

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Several years ago, I adopted hednic's technique for pretty much everything other than Mugler Cologne--3 sprays, with two to the neck and 1 to the chest. This seems like a pretty safe rule. Better to under spray IMHO than risk having on too much. But then, I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment, and don't much care if others notice it. Best wishes to the OP.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
13 sprays, eh? Yikes! So now I have to ask - how many sprays of The King do you use? I’m also a Kouros lover but one spray (under my shirt) works the magic for me. You and I may have different projection preferences which is why I’m asking about Kouros.

Typically I use less, around 7-8. (y)
Particularly love it in summers.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Several years ago, I adopted hednic's technique for pretty much everything other than Mugler Cologne--3 sprays, with two to the neck and 1 to the chest. This seems like a pretty safe rule. Better to under spray IMHO than risk having on too much. But then, I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment, and don't much care if others notice it. Best wishes to the OP.
My default is very similar: I usually go with two to the chest, 1 to the neck. (And yes, Mugler Cologne warrants a few extra sprays!)

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
My default is very similar: I usually go with two to the chest, 1 to the neck. (And yes, Mugler Cologne warrants a few extra sprays!)
+1

Come to think of it I have gone a bit heavy (for me) on the MC trigger in the past. At least 4 sprays iirc but possibly 6. Been on a DHC (and DH 2020) kick lately so haven’t worn MC in a while although it was a summer staple for me prior to this year. I would say MC has better perf than DHC but I’m still new to the latter so that may change as I wear it more.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread - I am enjoying DHC (perf issues aside) but I’m really enjoying DH 2020 even more. It’s also no perf beast but it’s good enough in that regard and wow does it smell great. Admittedly wasn’t a DH fan prior to the new one (blasphemy!) but to me 2020 exudes class and elegance. I’m not a signature scent guy but I’m finding myself reaching for DH 2020 quite often (and often wishing I had worn it after selecting something else). Have owned it for only a few weeks so I may be in the novelty/honeymoon phase but this is the best new bottle I’ve acquired in quite a while.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
+1

Come to think of it I have gone a bit heavy (for me) on the MC trigger in the past. At least 4 sprays iirc but possibly 6. Been on a DHC (and DH 2020) kick lately so haven’t worn MC in a while although it was a summer staple for me prior to this year. I would say MC has better perf than DHC but I’m still new to the latter so that may change as I wear it more.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread - I am enjoying DHC (perf issues aside) but I’m really enjoying DH 2020 even more. It’s also no perf beast but it’s good enough in that regard and wow does it smell great. Admittedly wasn’t a DH fan prior to the new one (blasphemy!) but to me 2020 exudes class and elegance. I’m not a signature scent guy but I’m finding myself reaching for DH 2020 quite often (and often wishing I had worn it after selecting something else). Have owned it for only a few weeks so I may be in the novelty/honeymoon phase but this is the best new bottle I’ve acquired in quite a while.
I feel like MC definitely has better projection and more "presence" than DHC; when I wear MC, I'm much more aware of it than I am DHC. MC isn't a beast but seems to give decent longevity for an EDC type scent. DHC is kind of an odd duck, very wispy and ethereal. I'm sometimes tempted to write it off as a poor performer, and then I'll catch a whiff of it 8 hours later, like it's been there all along and my nose is playing tricks. Sometimes I wear it as an antidote to full-bodied perfumes; I feel like 1 or 2 sprays is enough to make you smell clean without alerting anyone to the fact you're wearing a fragrance. Probably the only scent in my wardrobe that can say that.

Funny you mention DH 2020. This just came up in another thread, and for whatever reason that one gives me insane performance... I wish I liked it! I have some kind of note sensitivity, unfortunately. It smells really nice on a test strip, but as soon as I put it on skin I get this overwhelming sour musk note that feels like an icepick to my sinuses, and it lasts forever. (I do like the iris-y original DH more, but I was really hopeful for the 2020 version after hearing enthusiasm on here; seems like only a few of us have an adverse reaction. Alas!)

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
The bottle sprayer on DHC allows a lot of control over how much you spray so I just spray lots of small sprays all over. It’s one of those scents you can’t really overspray - it feels like it just tops out at a certain point and then you’re just getting more wet rather than more fragrant.

gmichael

Basenotes Member
Feb 28, 2014
I agree with Sheikh Yerbouti and even more - I think that in general DH cannot be oversprayed. Unlike Sauvage with its enormous strength and sillage - when I used Sauvage I got many compliments from people detecting it sometimes from a 2 meter distance.

e_s1950@yahoo.com

Basenotes Member
Dec 10, 2008
I got up to 8 sprays but it was still a skin scent after 3.5 hours. I don't wear undershirts in the summer or else I would spray on clothing as that usually boosts longevity. Now I just use 3 sprays and reapply after 4 hours. This is the only way to make it last a day.

I would love to find a version that lasts but it seems only the cheaper designers like Jimmy Choo Ice or the Xara one accomplish that but at the sake smelling rather cheap and artificial. I was hoping some niche house would have accomplished this by now but haven't run across one.

Tarheel Golfer

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 31, 2009
I’ve tested DHC in the past but just bought my first bottle a few weeks ago (current formulation). I’m struggling because - like many others have said - performance seems to be lacking. I’m familiar with all the theories but I’m wondering how many sprays others use? I’m a conservative sprayer as I like to enjoy my own fragrance but prefer not to project very much. I always spray stomach and upper back (right below back of neck) and almost never spray exposed skin. For me personally, getting wafts from under my shirt is the most enjoyable way to use fragrance.

My usual 2-3 sprays (for many of my frags) does not seem to cut it with DHC. Tried 4 sprays last week (office) which I need to try again but I was a bit self conscious for some reason. Probably because I’m a conservative sprayer so 4 seems like a lot.

3 or 4 for me too. It is a better performer than people realize. Especially to people around you.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
I got up to 8 sprays but it was still a skin scent after 3.5 hours. I don't wear undershirts in the summer or else I would spray on clothing as that usually boosts longevity. Now I just use 3 sprays and reapply after 4 hours. This is the only way to make it last a day.

I would love to find a version that lasts but it seems only the cheaper designers like Jimmy Choo Ice or the Xara one accomplish that but at the sake smelling rather cheap and artificial. I was hoping some niche house would have accomplished this by now but haven't run across one.
Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne lasts a bit longer. Not quite as light and ethereal as DHC, but it's structured the same. I don't find Zara Vibrant Leather Summer smells any more artificial than DHC (both smell entirely synthetic to my nose), but they're certainly not identical. Zara is slightly louder and heavier (but still well within the "light touch summer citrus" zone) which is why it seems to last a bit longer. Not quite identical, but Atelier Cologne has a lot of citrus scents that could fit this role as well. Cedrat Enivrant is my favorite; Bergamot Soleil is also good.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006

DHC for me is a 6 sprays minimum type of affair.
I have layered with a shot of Aventus to the chest the DHC right on top.
Works wonders but alters the smell a bit

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne lasts a bit longer. Not quite as light and ethereal as DHC, but it's structured the same. I don't find Zara Vibrant Leather Summer smells any more artificial than DHC (both smell entirely synthetic to my nose), but they're certainly not identical. Zara is slightly louder and heavier (but still well within the "light touch summer citrus" zone) which is why it seems to last a bit longer. Not quite identical, but Atelier Cologne has a lot of citrus scents that could fit this role as well. Cedrat Enivrant is my favorite; Bergamot Soleil is also good.
ZARA Vibrant Leather Summer is definitely one to try for those who want a somewhat heavier DHC effect.

Andylalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
It’s a cologne strength with light volatile ingredients. Wearing a cologne for a long-haul (8hr work day) look at the heart and base notes as they will carry lightly after the refreshing fast lifting top is gone.

finsfan

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2003
Thank you for this post. I have CAHSC and it does alright. My wife a couple of years ago liked Dior Homme Cologne but the Sport version she liked a bit better. I liked the regular DHC but if was ethereal as others have said. But you could catch wafts. I am debating on getting the DHC, or Allure Homme Sport (but worried that AHS is too much like the CAHSC to justify). Atelier Colognes really fade out on me, but at least I can smell DHC longer. I had Acqua di Parma Essenza and loved it but that white floral/musk seemed to get to me and sold it. Would i feel that same way about DHC?

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Thank you for this post. I have CAHSC and it does alright. My wife a couple of years ago liked Dior Homme Cologne but the Sport version she liked a bit better. I liked the regular DHC but if was ethereal as others have said. But you could catch wafts. I am debating on getting the DHC, or Allure Homme Sport (but worried that AHS is too much like the CAHSC to justify). Atelier Colognes really fade out on me, but at least I can smell DHC longer. I had Acqua di Parma Essenza and loved it but that white floral/musk seemed to get to me and sold it. Would i feel that same way about DHC?
I had the same issue with Essenza, though I’ve only sampled a couple times. Something in there gets on my nerves after a while, though performance was all right. I never had that issue with DHC, personally.

Allure Homme Sport seems popular enough, but it’s not really my style. I don’t wear too many freshies, but when I do, I prefer the ultra-light citrus cologne style frags like CAHSC or DHC, whereas Allure Homme Sport feels more like a generic designer freshie ala Versace pour Homme. Pleasant enough, but not my thing.

It’s all subjective in the end, of course. When I was searching for summer citrus scents, I settled on full bottles of Mugler Cologne, Zara Vibrant Leather Summer, and Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant. I have decants of DHC and CAHSC but don’t feel the need for full bottles since I have 125 ml of Zara, and it serves the same purpose.

I also came close to snagging a bottle of Guerlain Homme EDP (lime/mint/rum over vetiver/cedar/patchouli), which is a bit heavier but still good in warm weather and performs better than most of these; ultimately I liked Cedrat Enivrant more, but GH is worth sampling.

Latest News