Dior Homme 2020 - how many sprays do you use?

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
I started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago about Dior Homme Cologne but now I’m curious to know how my fellow Dior Homme 2020 fans are applying?

I’ve recently moved up (from my usual conservatism) to 4 sprays of DH 2020 which appears to be the sweet spot for me although I’m still experimenting. Today I’m 7 hours removed from those sprays and can still smell it under my shirt(s). Projection is always difficult to measure but I never want much projection so if minimal that’s ok with me. I know the DH purists aren’t too happy about 2020 but man does it smell good. So classy, versatile and easy to wear. Really love this one.

Effortless

Basenotes Member
Jan 11, 2022
2 to 4, usually 2. DH 2020 mainly serves as one of the most inoffensive choices in my collection, but definitely is not something which can be oversprayed like a Mugler Cologne.

Dior Homme Sport 2021 is another story though, very similar profile but I find myself overspraying it more often than not. Something about the combination of ingredients makes my nose almost unable to pick up on the scent, even though I know it's there.

Wondered many times if it's perhaps a bad batch or something, but that seems unlikely being a release bottle (1K01 - October 2021).

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
Hmmm…when I’m the guy using more sprays than most others, well, that’s kind of a shock!😉

Of course it’s difficult to generalize about fragrance application but I often find 2-3 sprays does the trick with many of my frags. I’ll continue to experiment with DH 2020 likely between 2 and 4 as Effortless mentioned. It’s also important to know that I always apply under my shirt (2 including the undershirt) and very rarely on exposed skin. I’m sure that’s a contributing factor and may partially explain why I’m pushing it a bit with this one.

I’m also wondering if/when the honeymoon phase will end. I don’t necessarily expect this to continue but DH 2020 is my most enjoyable frag at the moment and has been since I bought it a few weeks ago. Great purchase for me and I hope others are enjoying it too.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
Yeah, I do 3-4 sprays under the shirt as well for work. I'm always surprised when my wife (or one time my mother in law) comment on it after a full 9-10 hours after applying. As far as your honeymoon phase... I think it will be a fragrance that you can return to if your preferences/interests change. Old reliable. I've been wearing others, but never regret DH 2020 when I return to it. It probably gets a least one wear every 2-3 weeks.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I know the DH purists aren’t too happy about 2020 but man does it smell good. So classy, versatile and easy to wear. Really love this one.
Yup, tell me about it! Very versatile - it works in just about any situation, weather/environment.
2 to 4, usually 2. DH 2020 mainly serves as one of the most inoffensive choices in my collection, but definitely is not something which can be oversprayed like a Mugler Cologne.
I agree. The fewer sprays the better with this. It can get a bit spoiled with anything above 4 sprays. I tend to stick to 2-3 at best.
I’m also wondering if/when the honeymoon phase will end. I don’t necessarily expect this to continue but DH 2020 is my most enjoyable frag at the moment and has been since I bought it a few weeks ago. Great purchase for me and I hope others are enjoying it too.
I experienced the same sort of thing when I got it early last year. For a good few months, I was wearing it more several times per week.
It's a powerful scent, even if it doesn't seem like it when applying. Lasts all day for me and I have received several compliments on DH 2020. Go with three or four and you should be good!
Yep, with 2-3 sprays I get all day longevity too. But with more sprays I think I'm going anosmic to it by the end of the day, so I do less sprays to avoid disappointment.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
Yeah, I do 3-4 sprays under the shirt as well for work. I'm always surprised when my wife (or one time my mother in law) comment on it after a full 9-10 hours after applying.
I recently asked my daughter if she smelled it at the end of a work day in which I had worn 3 sprays. She couldn’t detect it until she sniffed near my neck as I opened and flapped my shirt collar. Was your wife or mother-in-law just standing next to you when they commented on it? If so then I’d say you’re getting better projection than me. More importantly, I’m glad they liked it! That’s always helpful.

Effortless

Basenotes Member
Jan 11, 2022
I blind bought it and I love it but I go nose blind with this one..

Yeah it seems to be widespread with this DNA unfortunately. DH 2020 works a lot better in my case, often reappears throughout the day.
DHS 2021 just goes poof shortly after applying, can't detect a thing. Very faint ambery woods if I'm lucky.

It certainly is not the Iso E, or at least not in isolation. Because I've always been able to smell the likes of TDH strongly for an entire day.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
I recently asked my daughter if she smelled it at the end of a work day in which I had worn 3 sprays. She couldn’t detect it until she sniffed near my neck as I opened and flapped my shirt collar. Was your wife or mother-in-law just standing next to you when they commented on it? If so then I’d say you’re getting better projection than me. More importantly, I’m glad they liked it! That’s always helpful.
Yeah, my mother-in-law really liked it, haha. She was very enthusiastic about it. But I just walked by her, so apparently there was still a pretty good trail going. It was hot Texas summer weather, so that probably helped a lot. This one definitely reactivates and blooms with body heat.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Yeah it seems to be widespread with this DNA unfortunately. DH 2020 works a lot better in my case, often reappears throughout the day.
DHS 2021 just goes poof shortly after applying, can't detect a thing. Very faint ambery woods if I'm lucky.

It certainly is not the Iso E, or at least not in isolation. Because I've always been able to smell the likes of TDH strongly for an entire day.
I think it's the iso e super in my case.
But nonetheless, Dior Homme 2020 is wonderful stuff.

ihxb01

Jan 26, 2020
Never did less than seven.
Two guys who genuinely hates my guts couldn’t help themselves and told me on two occasions that “It… smells… fresh.. agh…”

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
Yeah, I do 3-4 sprays under the shirt as well for work. I'm always surprised when my wife (or one time my mother in law) comment on it after a full 9-10 hours after applying. As far as your honeymoon phase... I think it will be a fragrance that you can return to if your preferences/interests change. Old reliable. I've been wearing others, but never regret DH 2020 when I return to it. It probably gets a least one wear every 2-3 weeks.
I added a 150ml and 100ml back up on top of my current 150ml excellent stuff and when I revisited it I knew it would be a regular.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
As someone who can't wear this due to an extreme note sensitivity, I'd just caution that anyone spraying this heavily is definitely going nose blind. 1-2 sprays lasts forever on my skin and has to be scrubbed off. It also lasts a fairly long time on a test strip, at least several days.

I would also caution that a small percentage of others around you may find even a small amount of this stuff downright revolting. I wish it wasn't the case! Nothing against the composition from an artistic standpoint; I just can't stomach the screechy sour musk note.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
While not owning nor wearing this yet, still being familiar enough with the 2020 formulation to be likely considering 3 sprays as a sufficient amount (even by quite over-sprayer standards) to wear

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
For guys who feel DH 2020 is powerful (I’m still not there)are you wearing those 2-3 sprays on exposed skin? I know basicDave wears it under a shirt (like me) but I’m guessing most of you are not spraying under clothing?

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
For guys who feel DH 2020 is powerful (I’m still not there)are you wearing those 2-3 sprays on exposed skin? I know basicDave wears it under a shirt (like me) but I’m guessing most of you are not spraying under clothing?
I do four sprays on skin. It's very powerful stuff but you can go nose-blind on this very easily.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
And at 4 sprays a pop I've worn about 60-65 ml. I wear it a lot it seems.
Ditto re: wear frequency. Since purchasing a full bottle I find myself reaching for this more often than anything else. Speaks to its versatility, easy-to-wear factor and all around enjoyable nature.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
I do four sprays on skin. It's very powerful stuff but you can go nose-blind on this very easily.
Lately I’ve actually been forcing myself to limit the number of sprays to 3 under my shirt but I’m def going to try 4 again as I’ve enjoyed that application in the past. I can see how 4 sprays on exposed skin could be somewhat powerful.

Latest News