Diluting

jt86

Basenotes Member
Sep 22, 2013
I recently have purchased a large amount of essential oils, aroma chemicals, supplies, etc. and want to get started. Before i get started i want to dilute some of my materials to workable amounts. What is the best dilutant? Is this dilutant best for all materials? Is there a list or suggestions to dilute my materials too? Some need to be diluted for viscosity and other need to be diluted for strength. I have read many posts about dilution, but I would like some regulars to chime in on this topic and give me insight.

David Ruskin

Basenotes Dependent
May 28, 2009
The best solvent for Fine Fragrance work is Dipropylene Glycol (DPG). Occasionally DPG won't work and either Isopropyl Myristate or Benzyl Benzoate can be used. This is to do with solubility/polarity, and will depend on each material. As a rule of thumb, try DPG first.

DrSmellThis

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 13, 2013
David made the definite statement.

About dilution; one number to keep in mind is the goodscent page suggestion for evaluation. They give a suggested percentage. So that's step one.

Other than that, look where things are sold, as the dilution is typically listed. Then read throught some educational formulas, as often these list dilutions. If all else fails, I will do a search here, or lastly, post something here asking for help. If you approach people in an earnest and respectful way, they will be quite helpful.,

But something David once posted is that If you have the particular material and spend time with it, you will eventually figure out the proper dilution, which is true. I try to have every chemical at a strength similar to a medium strength essential oil like say, vetiver, where one drop is a meaningful amount. I'd like to be able to put a drop of something on my body, or at least a quarter drop, and get away with it. That enables me to play with the substance. Of course, one always has to keep safety and allergies in mind, diluting to proper strength, before putting something on their body. So you have to already have a rough idea of the strength.

I would also check with the supplier as to suggested dilution.

As you can see, although I do have an approach, I don't have one procedure.that is always best. It is highly possible or probable others here have superior approaches. Further there are individual differences, where someone often likes something at ten times the dilution of someone else. I like things strong compared to some others, and sometimes I screw up by not diluting something enough.

Last edited:

Nizan

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 15, 2013
*Confuzled* I thought the common practice was to dilute in alcohol (even before the
final mix is made)..
Does this mean I need to find a DPG supplier? :)

Graphite

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 28, 2012
I read about people diluting to 10% others to 5%. You will have to find out your individual concentration as every nose is probably differently sensitive to certain notes.
DrSmellThis already pointed out the The Good Scent Company website. When you are on the materials profile (via search) and click on „Organoleptics” you often find a recommendation for the smelling concentration; e.g vanillin 10%.

I prefer a very low concentration (in 96,5% ethanol), here some examples:

cade 0,1
davana 0,5
rose abs. 1
neroli 5
amyris 10

indole 0,01
castoreum replacer 0,1
triplal 0,5
vanillin 1
benzyl salicylate 10

Check the label of the material if it's not already diluted. I also recommend reading the sticky threads if you haven't yet. If your scale is not fit for super low concentrations you can dilute further in a couple of steps. Do not dilute the entire amount at once (I think this should be given, but you never know…).

Latest News