Diluting vanillin in TEC

Aug 19, 2021
I've been doing some experiments with diluting my vanillin in TEC and the strongest I can go is 10%. I tried 25% and the crystals wouldn't fully dissolve, just left a milky looking liquid. Is 10% really the limit for vanillin?

FragOz

Jan 8, 2022
1. Try to warm in a water bath, you risk recrystallisation on cooling. 25% and above is quite strong I must say so I guess 10% is about max for TEC
2. IPM is not a good alternative for dissolving vanillin
3. DPG is a good alternative if it suits your needs, 25% is possible if you warm it while dissolving. This is also quite the maximum achievable concentration. The solution will discolor to yellow/orange over time
4. Ethanol is best, but more vanillin dissolves at a lower concentration EtOH, @70% 1:3 and @90% 1:2 see TGSC

TEC goes acid because of the ester spontaneously falling apart over time in Citric acid and EtOH. A very low pH may also cause problems I guess, but not sure (found no data).

Aug 19, 2021
1. Try to warm in a water bath, you risk recrystallisation on cooling. 25% and above is quite strong I must say so I guess 10% is about max for TEC
2. IPM is not a good alternative for dissolving vanillin
3. DPG is a good alternative if it suits your needs, 25% is possible if you warm it while dissolving. This is also quite the maximum achievable concentration. The solution will discolor to yellow/orange over time
4. Ethanol is best, but more vanillin dissolves at a lower concentration EtOH, @70% 1:3 and @90% 1:2 see TGSC

TEC goes acid because of the ester spontaneously falling apart over time in Citric acid and EtOH. A very low pH may also cause problems I guess, but not sure (found no data).
Thanks for that super informative answer I really appreciate it. I did try warming it and it did dissolve and go clear at 25% but like you said it re crystallized when it cooled down, I'll just stick to the 10%, seems to be the sweet spot.

Also just tried to do 25% with raspberry ketone in TEC and same thing, re crystallized, 10% seems like a good spot for that one too.

Latest News