Digital scale and my computer - How far apart do they need to be?

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi Folks,

I've decided to finally move from measuring by volume to measuring by weight when making my perfumes and am about to invest in a decent digital scale. The problem is that I use my computer to take notes when creating perfumes and everything I've read says NOT to use a computer (or cell or any electronics) near the scale as it could make the readings inaccurate.

Does anyone else use their computer for notes and have this problem? Does anyone know how far apart the computer and scale need to be for the measurements to not be affected? I mean, my cell phone and tv will be in the same room, is that a problem?

Thanks!

rauvolfioideae

May 26, 2016
I discovered this on my own. I use an iPad to make my notes and found the numbers on the scale getting wonky when it was within a foot or so. I usually keep it about two feet away to make sure it isn't causing problems. I've noticed if my cell phone is getting a call it will affect the scale even from two feet away. I don't get calls that often so I don't worry about keeping it farther from the scale. The amount that the scale is affected probably depends on the manufacturer and sensitivity. Overall, it's not really that big of a deal for me.

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi rauvolfioideae! Thanks for your input. I'll experiment with moving my computer around and see how it affects the scale. Hopefully it'll still be more accurate that the drop by drop method I've been using. :smiley:

alleria

Jan 6, 2017
I have a chromebook I use to keep my notes and formula log in. It's typically within a few feet of my digital scale and I haven't noticed anything wonky.

Latest News