Differences between Fixateur 505 & Ambroxan/Cetalox?

Happi.Nez

May 13, 2022
Hi All,

I have often read that Fix. 505 by Firmenich was introduced as a base for people to incorporate the use of Ambroxide in a fragrance.

Considering that Ambroxide is now readily available, is there any reason still to use Fix. 505? Does it maybe have captive Ambroxide &/or other constituents that one can benefit from? (I sometimes detect warm/powdery/musk nuances with Fix. 505 that are absent in blends containing only Ambroxide.)

Looking forward to learning from your replies!

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Also has small amounts of musk, ionone, Sandalwood chem and benzyl salicylate, likely responsible for your powdery notes.

Happi.Nez

May 13, 2022
Also has small amounts of musk, ionone, Sandalwood chem and benzyl salicylate, likely responsible for your powdery notes.
Thanks Paul! It's great to know what was causing these effects. Would you say Fix 505e containing Cachalox is pure hearsay? and even if it did, the possibility of the beginner nose to notice its effects in blends vs the regular ambroxide?

tyriekm

Mar 19, 2019
I was going to say what Paul said, but in much less detail lol. Overall, I get pronounced hints of ionones that almost come off fruity. I don't get any of the fruitiness with Cetalox/Amroxan

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks Paul! It's great to know what was causing these effects. Would you say Fix 505e containing Cachalox is pure hearsay? and even if it did, the possibility of the beginner nose to notice its effects in blends vs the regular ambroxide?
If Cachalox is in the formula goes beyond my information.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...