Delivery, customs and handling of packages

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Hi,

Have a question that has been bothering me for a while, so want to get experience and perspectives of others.

I have a bit of a beef with customs, specifically their handling of packages. I am in Canada and it seems that every single order of mine that is being delivered with DHL(weird enough i dont get same experience with other carriers), passes through a cage with wild animals and not customs officer of a 1st world country.
My packages arrive torn, bubble wrap torn, things inside hastily packed together, any paper inserts bent, re- sealing is done so poorly that i often receive package that reminds of used trash bag, than a delivery package.
What is happening at the customs, and do any of you experience same treatment of your packages (DHL wise or any other company) or is it only me ?
Maybe i am blacklisted for some reason at processing facility?

Appreciate your stories and experience shared with me :)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I'm not in Canada but I have packages shipped to me all the time with DHL Express to the US and I have never had any problems with the shipments. Were your items shipped DHL Express or DHL Paket?

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Luckily I've had better luck with Canada Post. I sometimes shop from outside Canada, not a lot. 90% of the times it gets shipped via Canada Post.

I wish we (those interested) could just move to the US.

Canada post feels like premium services to be honest, never had an issue. Maybe not move, but easier trading rules would be nice.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I'm not in Canada but I have packages shipped to me all the time with DHL Express to the US and I have never had any problems with the shipments. Were your items shipped DHL Express or DHL Paket?

Dhl express and regular, but result seems to always be the same.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Haven't ordered any fragrances international. The time or two I really wanted to they wouldn't ship here.

But I can picture it....

Customs guy 1 - Hey that Mak guy got another package!

Customs guy 2 - You don't say...... send it off for special treatment... hahahahaha!!!

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Haven't ordered any fragrances international. The time or two I really wanted to they wouldn't ship here.

But I can picture it....

Customs guy 1 - Hey that Mak guy got another package!

Customs guy 2 - You don't say...... send it off for special treatment... hahahahaha!!!

Hahaha....must be the case :D :\

Either Canadian customs are more rigorous, or specific centre next to me employs bears.

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
I’ve heard that Canada basically checks every DHL package and I hear lots of stories of people having to pay duties on things too. More likely with DHL than post.
For what it’s worth, I get nothing less than impeccable service from DHL into Australia. No delays or issues with customs and at times I get international deliveries faster than things shipped within Australia. I love when vendors provide delivery with DHL. Mind you, this has always been for products other than fragrance.

ddddmike

May 31, 2020
This has happened to me the two times I've ordered from Elysees coming from France and my fragrance boxes were fairly well destroyed or severely compromised, not to mention severe flacon leakage.

The issue is twofold: First and foremost, Elysees uses no packing material and old crummy boxes with no crushweight. Second the vendor (in this case Colissimo Worldwide) just crushes everything in its path. I'm really surprised half the items didn't fall out but there's enough tape around them to hold---albeit barely. Great deal on the $$ so long as you don't mind receiving bottles that have been reduced to testers with some leakage.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I've ordered from Elysees Parfums many times and never had a problem with them and Colissimo for me always defaulted to International Priority in the USPS system once it reached the US and as a result was handled well and had to be signed for.

Latest News