Current Halston Z-14 Version

jonny0103

Jul 22, 2022
Hello, I'm new to Basenotes and have been reading through the Halston threads. I'm curious about the current iteration of Z-14.

I've purchased bottles of the 2 oz Halston Fragrances Inc cologne, 56 ml Parfums Halston after shave and 115 ml Parfums Halston after shave. They're all wonderful.

My inquiry is about the current EA 8 oz cologne. I realize it's a shell of the original version, but what if it were a standalone fragrance, not being compared to the original? If it were Halston, but not Z14? If it were Z14, but the original hadn't existed?

What would your thoughts be about the fragrance's smell and its longevity? Would it be something you might consider?

I appreciate in advance your insight and knowledge.

jonny0103

Jul 22, 2022
I noticed that the 8 oz is priced only about $3.00 more than the 4.2 oz. I read through some of the negative reviews and comment after comment, from people who bought both, stated that the larger bottle is a diluted version of the smaller bottle. It would certainly explain the negligible price difference, but I'm amazed that someone at EA would sign off on such a daft decision.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
I noticed that the 8 oz is priced only about $3.00 more than the 4.2 oz. I read through some of the negative reviews and comment after comment, from people who bought both, stated that the larger bottle is a diluted version of the smaller bottle. It would certainly explain the negligible price difference, but I'm amazed that someone at EA would sign off on such a daft decision.
Yeah, I don't buy this one. There are not a lot of bargain priced large bottles any more but I think the same pricing pattern appears for some of them. It's been well-established in very many posts here that the fragrance cost is minimal for almost any option, so the real cost difference would be slightly bigger bottle and packaging - again likely a marginal increase. So they are just giving the buyer a reasonable break....

I've purchased bottles of the 2 oz Halston Fragrances Inc cologne, 56 ml Parfums Halston after shave and 115 ml Parfums Halston after shave. They're all wonderful.

My inquiry is about the current EA 8 oz cologne. I realize it's a shell of the original version, but what if it were a standalone fragrance, not being compared to the original? If it were Halston, but not Z14? If it were Z14, but the original hadn't existed?

What would your thoughts be about the fragrance's smell and its longevity?
I'm not sure how well I can speak to this.... I have the Halston version, the French Fragrance version, the EA Jeff Gordon version.... and maybe the later EA you are asking about. Batch codes don't always hit so it can be hard to tell provenance... even if I can find an EA that isn't labeled may not be able to tell which are most current.....

Having said all that I have never smelled a Z-14 I would describe as a "shell". I kind of feel like maybe Halston version is a 10, FF a 9, Jeff Gordon a 7.5... and current maybe a 6? No doubt each one is less good, so the current might be good but not great, and definitely not have the enthusiasm I have for the vintage. ... but still a good fragrance. NCAL says still compared to TF IC....

I guess I need to pick up a new one next time I see it at TJ Maxx and investigate further, but have yet to experience a version I don't like or that doesn't last well.....

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I've had the current EA reformulation, and the Jeff Gordon version that still uses oakmoss.

The current Z-14 is still a very respectable fragrance in my opinion, and a very inviting scent. The only big difference is that the top notes and that transition phase at the heart are gone, and it's more like Big Red at the opening before quickly going to its basenotes.

I can imagine people feeling disappointed that the evolution at the beginning is gone, but really, the basenotes phase is what you're stuck with for most of the day anyways. I think Z-14 currently is an amazingly good, classic-smelling fragrance.

I think if it were it's own fragrance and no previous formulation to compare it too, and was only available for $80 or more, I think people would have a higher opinion of it.

To me it's comparable to Polo (in vibe) and John Varvatos Vintage (in actual smell), and I prefer wearing it to both. I currently have the Jeff Gordon version but I'm going to reup with a current bottle, as it ends up smelling virtually identical in the end.

Halston Z-14 was one of the first fragrances I tried out when beginning this little journey about 7 years ago. I didn't like it at first, but now it's one of my lightweight favorites. Everything from the package, bottle design, to the actual scent are 10/10 in my opinion. It's a scent that conjures up good memories, past, future, and made-up.

jonny0103

Jul 22, 2022
I think if it were it's own fragrance and no previous formulation to compare it too, and was only available for $80 or more, I think people would have a higher opinion of it.

It's sorta what I've been feeling, but I'm new to this subject.

milkbaby

Apr 24, 2021
I have both the 8 ounce and 4.2 ounce current formulation (I assume, both bought at a retail store within the last two years), and they both smell the same to me.

I don't have any vintage bottles and certainly don't have any reliable memories of it, but it is fine for the price ($10 to $20) IMHO. I wouldn't enjoy it as much for $80-100 but only because there's other bottles I'd rather buy at that price point.

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
I bought recently a Halston fragrances's bottle and excepting the really nice luxurius lemon beginning, the dry down is pretty similar to the EA recent version (mine is from 2014), although EA's version amped up the cinnamon note.

Dec 28, 2020
Hello, I'm new to Basenotes and have been reading through the Halston threads. I'm curious about the current iteration of Z-14.

What would your thoughts be about the fragrance's smell and its longevity? Would it be something you might consider?

I appreciate in advance your insight and knowledge.
Halston Z14 was my daily wear from about 1980 to the mid 1990s. I have about every version of Halston Z14 made, even one made in Germany that dates from the 70s and is the original Parfums Halston scent -- I have the latter Paris version, as well. If you want to know the original, that's what to get. The Jeff Gordon EA version is good, but it's not the original nor is it the best.
I feel you are correct that the current Z14 should be viewed as a standalone fragrance. It is -- at best -- a hazy memory of the early one. At worst, it's unidentifiable as Z14. There is an inordinate amount of lemon in the opening, which was absent from all the best versions of Z14. Other desirable notes are completely absent. I went without Z14 for about 20 years. My first attempt to rediscover it was a cheapie bottle from Marshalls. If it wasn't for the Halston Z14 packaging, I would never guess that's what it was meant to be. If you need a cheapie for your gym bag, it's not a bad choice. There are better choices, IMO, and at the same price point. Good luck.

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
Halston Z14 was my daily wear from about 1980 to the mid 1990s. I have about every version of Halston Z14 made, even one made in Germany that dates from the 70s and is the original Parfums Halston scent -- I have the latter Paris version, as well. If you want to know the original, that's what to get. The Jeff Gordon EA version is good, but it's not the original nor is it the best.
I feel you are correct that the current Z14 should be viewed as a standalone fragrance. It is -- at best -- a hazy memory of the early one. At worst, it's unidentifiable as Z14. There is an inordinate amount of lemon in the opening, which was absent from all the best versions of Z14. Other desirable notes are completely absent. I went without Z14 for about 20 years. My first attempt to rediscover it was a cheapie bottle from Marshalls. If it wasn't for the Halston Z14 packaging, I would never guess that's what it was meant to be. If you need a cheapie for your gym bag, it's not a bad choice. There are better choices, IMO, and at the same price point. Good luck.
As I said before, I have a Z-14 bottle labeled "Halston fragrances" and after reading your post I'm curious: Is this Halston fragrances's bottle just a version in the "EA range"? Is French Fragrances's version older than It?
Sincerely, I didn't notice a drastic difference from both versions I own.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
As an owner of the Halston Fragrances and the EA versions, and as a former owner the modern version, I have to agree. They all basically go lemon > woody spice, but that doesn't capture how the most recent one changed.

In the original, the notes feel vibrant, full, and natural (a total stereotype, but true). The EA is largely the same but seemed more dried out and wood focused, but still quite nice. In the newest version, you can just tell corners have been cut, plain and simple. The "lemon" is solvent-y harsh, the wood notes are derived from raspy chemicals, and the spices seem flat and acrid. I literally could not wear the modern one; it gave me a headache.

OP if you are still following, if you're looking for low price/high quality, I'd go for the Jeff Gordon EA. You're not paying much more for it (unless that's changed recently), and the product is way better IMO.

As I said before, I have a Z-14 bottle labeled "Halston fragrances" and after reading your post I'm curious: Is this Halston fragrances's bottle just a version in the "EA range"? Is French Fragrances's version older than It?

As far as I know, the Halston Fragrances bottles predate the EAs. To your point though, the differences are quite small and reasonable, to me just a sort of "drying out" in certain phases, or maybe a layer of dustiness. I could be happy with either but choose the Halston Fragrances if forced.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
It basically goes Halston, French Fragrances, EA. So Halston version is early and nothing to do with EA. The Jeff Gordon version you hear about is a somewhat earlier version labeled EA.

As long as the one you got wasn't left in someone's car or window sill, you have some great stuff!!!

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .