Current Antaeus formulation...

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
The stuff I have from five years ago is good. I just got excited and bought another bottle.

I've recently become convinced that the newer is good. Too many folks who know the difference are attesting to this.

I've mentioned a 2013 tester-wear I had a duty free shop. I truly didn't like it and was massively disappointed. It wasn't a case of vintage snobbery. I was excited to see it there and about the opportunity to sample healthy sprays of it without blind buying it.

I can only assume whatever bottle I sampled ( 100ml Tester bottle ), it must have been an inferior, but temporary reformulation.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
From a personal and therefore subjective and non-binding while sincere viewpoint alone:

still decent and sufficient thought not outstandingly beast mode regarding the lasting power and projection, while retaining all of its iconic style and fragrance quality in its current/recent formulation (s)

manicboy

Oct 12, 2005
I own vintages from 2008 and also from one from '90's and while both are rich in beeswax (only the 90's one), castoreum, leather, and oak moss; they don't last long or project much. Need to try the current version as both are dwindling down to nothing.

Aromaphile

Aug 10, 2013
The castoreum and the dense beeswax notes were the signatures of Antaeus.

What exists today is a poor imitation of the original; it has 1/4 of the depth, projection, or longevity of the original.

What I smell today is the sad emaciated ghost of what was a truly magnificent and opulent fragrance.

Such a pity that Chanel has let the quality on this one nosedive into oblivion.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Hey Folks,

Can anyone, particularly someone with knowledge of, or even better access to vintage versions, provide me with a sober account of the quality of the current Antaeus formulation?

I have read a number of previous threads on the topic but they often pertain to either the version prior to the current or contain they typical “current reformulation is trash” rhetoric. Zealot Crusader deserves special mention for attempting to provide a reasoned assessment of vintage vs current, but subsequent reading of a seperate thread reveals he was in fact assessing a vintage versus a early to mid 00s version haha.

So, if anyone can provide a reasoned and nuanced assessment of the current formulation it would be much appreciated!

Thoughts on whether or not it is worth buying? And if it is in-fact such a pallid a version of itself any suggestions of similar fragrances, which is to say leather/woody Chypres that use castoreum, that may be in better condition.

Many Thanks

Antaeus current vs. vintage ..... depends a lot on how you perceive it.

My experience is with a 'late vintage' from early 2000s I'd say. I have another bottle of Antaeus purchased in 2016 from Nordstrom when I was in Chicago for a few months. Next to that vintage, the one bottle almost smells synthetic if I smell it on skin, by sort of bringing my nose very close to skin (not in the air or 'via projection'). In the air / via projection they smell more similar. This vintage has a warm 'sweaty' note (almost a hint of cumin, maybe it is the castoreum but this is just speculation) that is missing in the current - that note and effect for some reason made me think of Freddie Mercury. The longevity was similar between the two, though the projection was just slightly less compared to the newer bottle (but in no way 'bad' - maybe I was expecting a loud perfume).

I would say try out a current bottle with an open mind - I'm talking about using 5-10 ml and wearing at least 10 times. If you like it enough, don't bug yourself about the vintage. Is the current Antaeus bad or very different? Not at all. However, there are differences, more than there are between current Egoiste and vintage Egoiste.

If you want a punchy leathery-woody chypre with castoreum I would suggest Salome by Papillon. Note that Antaeus has some herbal/aromatic thing going on which is completely absent in Salome. It's not a substitute or anything, but just fits what you are asking for.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I have read a number of previous threads on the topic but they often pertain to either the version prior to the current or contain they typical “current reformulation is trash” rhetoric. Zealot Crusader deserves special mention for attempting to provide a reasoned assessment of vintage vs current, but subsequent reading of a seperate thread reveals he was in fact assessing a vintage versus a early to mid 00s version haha.

I must be Beetlejuice because everytime I appear, it's a thread where you've dropped my name. Unfortunately I'm not the ghost with the most, and I don't like stripes, but my head does spin at 5000rpm if you spray me with Aventus clones.

Anyways I have an update.

I have deep vintage decants, the silver sprayer and the black sprayer. It's literally like 93 octane vs 89 and 87. Put another way, it's like playing a game of "watch the animalics go bye-bye". Deepest has a bit of civet mixed with a heap of castoreum and oakmoss, the silver sprayer just a plonk of castoreum and oakmoss/treemoss, and the black button is like a whisper of castoreum and evernyl (much flatter).

All smell "like Antaeus", but it's like listening to a Yes studio master on reels, then the vinyl, then the highly noise-shaped/compressed CD "remaster". Current Antaeus is better than no Antaeus and still spanks most modern leathers like its their daddy (because it is), but IFRA hasn't been kind to the old Man in Black. I imagine it's possible to get closer to vintage than it is currently, but part of me thinks adjustment for taste happened too.

pluran

Mar 2, 2006
Just got a new bottle w black sprayer. Took me a couple of weeks to figure out whether I liked it or not. Fresher, more citrus, a little grassy, modernized towards other masculine Chanels, but textured enough and smells great. I'd almost just as soon have it as most of the older bottles of Antaeus I own or have owned. Lasts longer and projects more than the 90's stuff I own. Modern aroma chemicals, whatever. It works. Murders Bleu de Chanel, anyway.

Last edited:

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
The current version was one of my favorite.
I bought the vintage version (1988) due to the very favorable reviews.

The first time I smelled the vintage, my nose was hit very hard. All I could smell for hours was a pungent dirty leather (earthy patchouly-castoreum-moss). I didn't like it at all. Far too linear and simple.
I was ready to buy a backup bottle of the recent version. But I told myself to wait a little longer, to give the vintage one more try.
Then, with each wearing, I started to discover more and more notes.
Now it's exactly as described.
I so love it!

The vintage version is quite different. But I thought I'd keep both versions.
Unfortunately, over time, the recent version began to please me less and less.
Now it seems a little strange compared to the vintage version.

The current version was one of my favorite.
I clearly remember how much I liked it. For this reason I recommend it. It's worth testing it.

Aerial Punk

Aug 8, 2020
Hello!

I got a pre-owned Antaeus 50 ml bottle (6801 batch code) with eau de toilette written under Chanel but it has a SILVER sprayer and everything else in black.

It is a bit confusing to me, is it new or semi-vintage? (I like the smell of it but it is a bit different from my vintage 4 mls.)

Reading the Scented Devil in this thread:

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/4...he-bygone-of-an-exquisite-era-call-for-action

I am thinking my bottle might be an early 2000 release?

Have a nice day!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Can't offer a comparison as the vintages are hard to come by at a sane price point, but I get no honeyed beeswax or castoreum note in my 2019 (probably) Antaeus. That's a shame as I can easily imagine the scent would benefit from them greatly.

Aerial Punk

Aug 8, 2020
Can't offer a comparison as the vintages are hard to come by at a sane price point, but I get no honeyed beeswax or castoreum note in my 2019 (probably) Antaeus. That's a shame as I can easily imagine the scent would benefit from them greatly.

Thanks for the input motorcade, I too notice a muting of that waxy and animalic stuff my vintage bottles have plenty of but,
my question was:

Could somebody please help me with dating of my bottle with a SILVER sprayer button, batch code 6801?

Checkfresh says it is 2021-08, it´s not, maybe 2013, 2005 or earlier as they supposedly repeat the numbers every 8 years?

Best regards,
Newbie Rookie Oldie

Franco65

May 13, 2012
Thanks for the input motorcade, I too notice a muting of that waxy and animalic stuff my vintage bottles have plenty of but,
my question was:

Could somebody please help me with dating of my bottle with a SILVER sprayer button, batch code 6801?

Checkfresh says it is 2021-08, it´s not, maybe 2013, 2005 or earlier as they supposedly repeat the numbers every 8 years?

Best regards,
Newbie Rookie Oldie

Antaeus deostick is quite a good representation of how Antaeus used to smell!

Aerial Punk

Aug 8, 2020

Ah, you are saying you have the current Antaeus and haven't smelled the vintage. I am sorry Motorcade, I sounded rude, it was not my intention.

Latest News