Curiosity got me…

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
So I’m new to this whole world of fragrance really. I’ve only been exploring niche and private collections for a couple months, and I’ve only been growing my designer fragrance wardrobe, sporadically, over the past couple years. So in my explorations, I came across a dupe/clone house, not sure exactly what it’s called. Part of me felt wrong placing an order, but another part of me was saying well if you can save money why not.

So I did it. I ordered. The place I ordered from is called Julianna’s Perfumes. Order arrived today. There’s a money back 60 day full refund policy, presentation definitely exceeded The amount that I paid… and from what I can tell, they are pretty spot on. When you order from them, they send two free 8ml (I think) samples of other scents with each 50ml bottle purchase you make. So I made sure to select the dupes for fragrances I do already own so I could see how close they get.

I haven’t worn any on my skin yet as I just received them today and I’m currently wearing YSL Libre Intense, which stays on forever. But these say they are all extraits.

Here’s what I ordered:

50 ml INNER BEAUTY INSPIRED BY PDM DELINA- I have a decant of the real Delina, and they smell the exact same on paper. 100% match! I wanted this one because it was really hard to choose which version of Delina I wanted, and I didn’t really want to spend around $600 for two fragrances. So I ordered Delina Exclusif, and just hoped my decant of Delina would hold me over until I was ready to splurge again.

8ml Bad B*tch INSPIRED BY ARMANI PRIVE ROUGE MALACHITE- I have a full sized 100ml bottle of RM as well as a 10ml decant. It’s my all time favorite fragrance. So I picked this sample specifically because I know I’m familiar with this one. This one, on paper at least, I’d say is a 97.5% match. It smells almost exact, except that it feels like it’s missing just a little bit of amber. It smells just a teeny little bit on the generic side. But I feel like if I sprayed one on one arm and one on the other, it would be harder to spot the difference.

50ml Red Carpet Affair INSPIRED BY GUERLAIN ANGELIQUE NOIRE- I don’t have the real one of this and never had the pleasure of smelling a decant/sample either, but wow, this is pretty! Vanilla in ballgown. Very elevated and classy smell to my nose.

8ml Call Me By Your Name INSPIRED BY GOURMAND COQUIN- again, I don’t own the real thing and never smelled it before, but here’s another one that shocked me. I never smelled cocoa in a fragrance before, that did settle down a bit, but wow, when I first sprayed it it was like it coated my whole world In chocolate. Now I’m getting some florals and a much more tame cocoa. Very beautiful. I think I picked this sample because the real thing is discontinued… I’m not positive of that but I think that’s where my head was at.

8ml A Night To Remember INSPIRED BY LOVE DON’T BE SHY- another one I never smelled before, but this too is beautiful if you like sweet scents. I feel like it kinda sorta smells like PDM Oriana, which I do have a sample of but not near me at the moment, so maybe that’s marshmallow? I think I might be right. I definitely like how this one smells on paper too.

8ml SIMPLY GORGEOUS INSPIRED BY CHANEL BEIGE- I selected this because I want to get my nose on all of the Chanel exclusives, but I’ve never smelled the real one of this. I will reserve my thoughts for once I get it on my skin because I don’t love it on paper. I’m obsessed with coromandel though (the real one). This is absolutely nothing like coromandel, not that it ever claimed to be lol.

Okay, so I just wanted to know, how much of a total jerk am I for trying this brand? I really could not push the curiosity aside. It was something I felt like I had to do.

Have any of you tried any of these?

image.jpg

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Haven't tried any of those myself.

But no, you're not a jerk. It sounds like these are from a clone house.

What I'll say is that I have bought five "clones" of other scents I have tried and like.

Two of them are quite good.

One of them is so-so.

Two of them are bad. A waste of my money.

The so-so one fairly accurately recreates the scent, but it feels heavy handed and that somehow cheapens the wear. It lacks the artistry and finesse of the scent it is meant to copy.

If you like them, that's fine. But most people here are not fans of clones. We're not exactly snooty, but if we like a scent, we'll usually want the real deal.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Haven't tried any of those myself.

But no, you're not a jerk. It sounds like these are from a clone house.

What I'll say is that I have bought five "clones" of other scents I have tried and like.

Two of them are quite good.

One of them is so-so.

Two of them are bad. A waste of my money.

The so-so one fairly accurately recreates the scent, but it feels heavy handed and that somehow cheapens the wear. It lacks the artistry and finesse of the scent it is meant to copy.

If you like them, that's fine. But most people here are not fans of clones. We're not exactly snooty, but if we like a scent, we'll usually want the real deal.
Thank you for replying! I was really unsure if I was going to be excommunicated over this lol. I was just so darn curious that I think that curiosity could not and would not be assuaged until I tried them to see how close they are.

But you’re definitely right, because even if this is a spot on match, or close to it, I still want the real Angelique Noire. But I do think that this can at least make that a slightly less urgent feeling. Maybe I can wait for a sale or something? Lol there’s probably no sales to speak of for the exclusive lines of these fragrance houses. But still, I think I can wait a bit longer than if I didn’t have it. Maybe get Coromandel first.

I don’t dislike any of these, so I guess it’s good that it wasn’t a waste of money that way. But if I buy the real thing, than it is a waste in that I bought the clone first. They weren’t expensive though. I’m glad to see that you were at one point curious about this sort of thing too. Let’s me know that I’m not a weirdo lol.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
I love that you did this! I’ve bought knock-offs and clones, and I have even bought people’s counterfeits after they’ve been burned. I think it’s excellent research and training. No, you are not a weirdo! You’re a BNer! :LOL:
Aww thanks! Haha I was racked with all kinds of guilt on this. But they smell good 🤣

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Thank you for replying! I was really unsure if I was going to be excommunicated over this lol. I was just so darn curious that I think that curiosity could not and would not be assuaged until I tried them to see how close they are.

But you’re definitely right, because even if this is a spot on match, or close to it, I still want the real Angelique Noire. But I do think that this can at least make that a slightly less urgent feeling. Maybe I can wait for a sale or something? Lol there’s probably no sales to speak of for the exclusive lines of these fragrance houses. But still, I think I can wait a bit longer than if I didn’t have it. Maybe get Coromandel first.

I don’t dislike any of these, so I guess it’s good that it wasn’t a waste of money that way. But if I buy the real thing, than it is a waste in that I bought the clone first. They weren’t expensive though. I’m glad to see that you were at one point curious about this sort of thing too. Let’s me know that I’m not a weirdo lol.
That's all good. No one will excommunicate you at all. What I would say is that there are probably not a lot of people who will have a lot of experience with these clones so therefore fewer will respond/discuss them. It's not just because we're all rich and snobby at all. It's just that most people here are very into frags and inclined to buy the real deal.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Speaking only for myself, I would never buy an "inspired by" fragrance.
Having said that, If you are happy with your purchase - that's all that matters. :)
Haha fair enough. I don’t think I’ll be making a habit out of it, but I was just so curious as to how close they get. I had a musician ex, he could hear something once and then play it immediately on a variety of different instruments. So I was thinking, are these people like that? They smell something and then they can recreate it… and how close do they get? It was all just too much curiosity to sit bottled up inside me forever.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
That's all good. No one will excommunicate you at all. What I would say is that there are probably not a lot of people who will have a lot of experience with these clones so therefore fewer will respond/discuss them. It's not just because we're all rich and snobby at all. It's just that most people here are very into frags and inclined to buy the real deal.
Oh I totally understand that! I definitely would not feel right having an entire collection of these clones. It was just a one off thing. Although, that one that’s discontinued, the guerlain gourmand coquin… I definitely would buy a full bottle of that because even though I can buy real deals, I’m not paying what the internet wants for a bottle of that. I’ve got a son in college! But no, I do understand a basic distaste for clones. Even though I can’t afford a real birkin bag, I’d never in a million years buy a fake. So I get it, I just was super curious here. And when I search for info, not much comes up.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Do you have the real Beige?

I have a sample, which I enjoy. I think it's one of the more distinctive Chanel Exclusifs. It's a bit feminine for my tastes as far as what I enjoy wearing, and it's not my wife's taste - too opaque and cosmetic, but that's what I love about it - the "texture" of the main floral accord. If I was a woman, it would very likely be in my collection. I think it's a great scent with a very sophisticated vibe.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Haha fair enough. I don’t think I’ll be making a habit out of it, but I was just so curious as to how close they get. I had a musician ex, he could hear something once and then play it immediately on a variety of different instruments. So I was thinking, are these people like that? They smell something and then they can recreate it… and how close do they get? It was all just too much curiosity to sit bottled up inside me forever.

They train perfumers in the industry to deconstruct scents by odor alone, even though in practice they use GC-MS (gas chromatography and mass spectrometry) to aid that process. I saw a demonstration of it by a new perfumer in training. She was able to pick out a fair number of the main components, and when she ran into trouble, the teacher helped get her back into the decision matrix and remember her training. It was rather impressive.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
They train perfumers in the industry to deconstruct scents by odor alone, even though in practice they use GC-MS (gas chromatography and mass spectrometry) to aid that process. I saw a demonstration of it by a new perfumer in training. She was able to pick out a fair number of the main components, and when she ran into trouble, the teacher helped get her back into the decision matrix and remember her training. It was rather impressive.
That sounds very interesting! Where did you see it?

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
Let us know what you think of them.
Have not tried any either, but also curious about the final results of and impressions on each
Absolutely, will do. My experience so far is definitely positive, but it’s going to take a while to give them all the proper wear tests to form a solid opinion.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
That sounds very interesting! Where did you see it?

This was about 10 years ago at IFF's internal fragrance training school at their NYC offices. I was extremely fortunate to get an invitation to tour their facility and meet a bunch of amazing people. It was the experience of a lifetime!

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
This was about 10 years ago at IFF's internal fragrance training school at their NYC offices. I was extremely fortunate to get an invitation to tour their facility and meet a bunch of amazing people. It was the experience of a lifetime!
Oh wow! That really does sound like a wonderful experience! Good for you, that’s amazing! 🙌

darakhshan12

Basenotes Member
Aug 6, 2022
So I’m new to this whole world of fragrance really. I’ve only been exploring niche and private collections for a couple months, and I’ve only been growing my designer fragrance wardrobe, sporadically, over the past couple years. So in my explorations, I came across a dupe/clone house, not sure exactly what it’s called. Part of me felt wrong placing an order, but another part of me was saying well if you can save money why not.

So I did it. I ordered. The place I ordered from is called Julianna’s Perfumes. Order arrived today. There’s a money back 60 day full refund policy, presentation definitely exceeded The amount that I paid… and from what I can tell, they are pretty spot on. When you order from them, they send two free 8ml (I think) samples of other scents with each 50ml bottle purchase you make. So I made sure to select the dupes for fragrances I do already own so I could see how close they get.

I haven’t worn any on my skin yet as I just received them today and I’m currently wearing YSL Libre Intense, which stays on forever. But these say they are all extraits.

Here’s what I ordered:

50 ml INNER BEAUTY INSPIRED BY PDM DELINA- I have a decant of the real Delina, and they smell the exact same on paper. 100% match! I wanted this one because it was really hard to choose which version of Delina I wanted, and I didn’t really want to spend around $600 for two fragrances. So I ordered Delina Exclusif, and just hoped my decant of Delina would hold me over until I was ready to splurge again.

8ml Bad B*tch INSPIRED BY ARMANI PRIVE ROUGE MALACHITE- I have a full sized 100ml bottle of RM as well as a 10ml decant. It’s my all time favorite fragrance. So I picked this sample specifically because I know I’m familiar with this one. This one, on paper at least, I’d say is a 97.5% match. It smells almost exact, except that it feels like it’s missing just a little bit of amber. It smells just a teeny little bit on the generic side. But I feel like if I sprayed one on one arm and one on the other, it would be harder to spot the difference.

50ml Red Carpet Affair INSPIRED BY GUERLAIN ANGELIQUE NOIRE- I don’t have the real one of this and never had the pleasure of smelling a decant/sample either, but wow, this is pretty! Vanilla in ballgown. Very elevated and classy smell to my nose.

8ml Call Me By Your Name INSPIRED BY GOURMAND COQUIN- again, I don’t own the real thing and never smelled it before, but here’s another one that shocked me. I never smelled cocoa in a fragrance before, that did settle down a bit, but wow, when I first sprayed it it was like it coated my whole world In chocolate. Now I’m getting some florals and a much more tame cocoa. Very beautiful. I think I picked this sample because the real thing is discontinued… I’m not positive of that but I think that’s where my head was at.

8ml A Night To Remember INSPIRED BY LOVE DON’T BE SHY- another one I never smelled before, but this too is beautiful if you like sweet scents. I feel like it kinda sorta smells like PDM Oriana, which I do have a sample of but not near me at the moment, so maybe that’s marshmallow? I think I might be right. I definitely like how this one smells on paper too.

8ml SIMPLY GORGEOUS INSPIRED BY CHANEL BEIGE- I selected this because I want to get my nose on all of the Chanel exclusives, but I’ve never smelled the real one of this. I will reserve my thoughts for once I get it on my skin because I don’t love it on paper. I’m obsessed with coromandel though (the real one). This is absolutely nothing like coromandel, not that it ever claimed to be lol.

Okay, so I just wanted to know, how much of a total jerk am I for trying this brand? I really could not push the curiosity aside. It was something I felt like I had to do.

Have any of you tried any of these?

View attachment 203421
No I didn't tried yet

perfumer86

Basenotes Member
Feb 16, 2020
if u like there fragrances good. thats what is important. i make my own. i do get inspired by different commercial fragrances. and sometimes perfume can come somehow close to a commercial one. but its in the intention of making something on the same clasification not to copycat the original. but if your enjoying them and the price sounds right , alright :)

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
I didn’t mean to abandon this thread, this has been a busy/hectic summer. But the clones I have, I will still spray them here and there, but I find that even though the scent is almost exact in most cases, the performance is lacking compared to the originals. I do think it would be something I’d consider if maybe a favorite got discontinued, or to sort of hold me over until I’m ready to purchase an expensive original… but in general it’s not something I would buy OVER the original. I do think it’s a valid option though for those who may find buying the expensive original a bit too much of a stretch. I don’t think clones are taking away the business from the brands that created the fragrance that was cloned. Either someone is curious as to how the compare and will purchase both, or the person buying the clone isn’t in a position to buy the original anyway.

perfumer86

Basenotes Member
Feb 16, 2020
I didn’t mean to abandon this thread, this has been a busy/hectic summer. But the clones I have, I will still spray them here and there, but I find that even though the scent is almost exact in most cases, the performance is lacking compared to the originals. I do think it would be something I’d consider if maybe a favorite got discontinued, or to sort of hold me over until I’m ready to purchase an expensive original… but in general it’s not something I would buy OVER the original. I do think it’s a valid option though for those who may find buying the expensive original a bit too much of a stretch. I don’t think clones are taking away the business from the brands that created the fragrance that was cloned. Either someone is curious as to how the compare and will purchase both, or the person buying the clone isn’t in a position to buy the original anyway.
seeing the website of julianna, there prices are alright for the quantity ur paying for. however in concentration it states that is an extrait, extrait could be used in different terms, one that extrait is very very concentrated aroma compound. or that is a perfume compound formula that someone could buy for the purpose of copying a scent. the first point if it was at an extrait concentration it will last more the scent which is contrary as of your statements that they dont perform as the originals. the second point as being a perfume compound that tries to imitates an original makes more sense to me. however in that case, u can buy concentrates and put alcohol for cheaper price.

darakhshan12

Basenotes Member
Aug 6, 2022
laright for the quantity ur paying for. however in concentration it states that is an extrait, extrait could be used in different terms, one that extrait is very very concentrated aroma compound. or that is a perfume compound formula that someone could buy for the purpose of copying a scent. the first point if it was at an extrait concentration it will last more the scent which is contrary as of your statements that they dont perform as the originals. the second point as being a perfume compound that tries to imitates an original makes more sense to me. however in that case, u can buy concentrates and put alcohol for cheaper price.

Lyric82

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 15, 2022
laright for the quantity ur paying for. however in concentration it states that is an extrait, extrait could be used in different terms, one that extrait is very very concentrated aroma compound. or that is a perfume compound formula that someone could buy for the purpose of copying a scent. the first point if it was at an extrait concentration it will last more the scent which is contrary as of your statements that they dont perform as the originals. the second point as being a perfume compound that tries to imitates an original makes more sense to me. however in that case, u can buy concentrates and put alcohol for cheaper price.
Why did you copy and paste what the person above you said? It’s not even like the original reply above you was a long time ago. I don’t understand the reasoning for this….

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .