Creed Royal water vs Clive Christian 1872

Histone

Sep 19, 2015
I read that these two are similar. I have a sample of the Clive Christian and love the classy mature vibe I get from it but the price is just too absurd..
How does the Creed compare to it?

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
It's been awhile since I wore CC 1872 but I don't recall it being that similar to Royal Water. I see Fragantica reviewers say they are similar.

Royal Water has a pretty simple note profile. 1872 has a ton of notes.

Someone with more recent experience with both them may have a different take. I'm going from hazy memory of 1872, but it seemed more "perfume-ish" and Royal Water feels more "cologne-ish."

• Thanks
Reactions: rum

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I own and love both and personally don't find them similar. They're both citrus aromaticas, but I find the CC much more complex and more full-bodied.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I own and love both and personally don't find them similar. They're both citrus aromaticas, but I find the CC much more complex and more full-bodied.
Full bodied is a perfect way to express it.

Histone, if you're looking for something "very close" to 1872 but less money, Royal Water may not be close enough.

If you're looking for a citrus aromatic that is sort of cologne like, Royal Water may do well by you.

A person who like 1872 may also like Royal Water, but I don't want you to expect something very close.

That Fragantica "This Scent Reminds Me of" is a nice feature, but sometimes misleading. It often references frags that are in the same basic ballpark.

Oct 10, 2019
Similarities in the opening but 1872 gets sweeter and sweeter by the minute. Eventually gets too sweet and cloying for me.

Royal Water focuses more on citrus, juniper, and ambergris.

I prefer RW.

Last edited:

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Clive Christian 1872 is a masculine scent to my nose. The tester of Royal Water I tested in a shop was unisex. The bottle of it I bought was more feminine than unisex, and I gave it to my wife as I wasn't going to wear it.
Regards,
Renato

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...