Creed Jardin de Amalfi vs Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi vs LV Afternoon Swim

Sloth

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 11, 2019
....and discuss.....

Forget performance really, if they performed and cost the same, do they smell alike and which one is best?

Sloth

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 11, 2019
OK, so I've added LV Afternoon Swim to the list, the question remains the same....

BTW, if they are different, can you please say why, and if the same or similar, explain in what way, as that will really help?
Thanks.

Sloth

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 11, 2019
For me, the Creed and the Louis Vuitton are on par in terms of quality.
Thanks, however, actual 'quality' aside, what about the actual smell? Are they all alike or does one stand out as a better smell or scent profile than the others?

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks, however, actual 'quality' aside, what about the actual smell? Are they all alike or does one stand out as a better smell or scent profile than the others?
They don't smell alike to me and one doesn't stand out as a better smell, at least to me.

Mannheim

Mar 28, 2022
None of them are alike. I have Mandarino di Amalfi and Afternoon Swim. In my opinion, the synthetic note (ISO E Super) in Afternoon Swim gives that woody masculine vibe, other than that, nothing special. Creed did a good job on making Jardin de Amalfi smells as close to the name itself as possible. Tom Ford aqua is just a water-down version.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
For me, the Creed and the Louis Vuitton are on par in terms of quality.
I would agree with this. I haven't smelled the Tom Ford, so I can't say.

My personal favorite between JdA and AS is definitely AS. JdA smells great and I own it, but is just a little too femme for me. I MUCH prefer smelling JdA on my wife than on me. I do think it's unisex, but just barely.

Afternoon Swim is without a doubt my favorite citrus in my wardrobe. Not only does it smell great and mouthwatering, but the longevity and projection of it are excellent for a fragrance that is primarily citrus. I don't get that many compliments on fragrances, but I have received more on AS over the past year than I have over the previous 10 years. I wear it year round, but of course, it's especially a great warm weather scent.

Last edited:

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I own the TF and the LV. I love Creed, but I don’t find Jardin compelling enough to buy. I think the TF Portofino/Mandarino scents are kinda unsurpassed in that genre. LV On the Beach is very comparable to the Mandarino scents though. Afternoon Swim has a different feel.

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
Nothing alike. Jardin d'Amalfi is a masterpiece (at least the older stuff - not certain about reformulation). Comes off a little feminine which keeps me from wearing it more, but the scent itself is probably the most beautiful I have ever smelled in this hobby.

Afternoon Swim is fun, but quite synthetic smelling. Decent scent, but not in same league as JdA.

Mandarino di Amalfi is nothing special to me. Starts ok, but dries down a little civet-y. Pass.

Sloth

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 11, 2019
So is Jardin d'Amalfi too feminine then?
Would owning both Mandarino di Amalfi AND Afternoon Swim be redundant?

Last edited:

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Just get samples and choose which one you like best. Strangers on an internet forum shouldn't really decide for you...

Sloth

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 11, 2019
Not at all. They smell nothing alike.

As far as whether JdA is too femme, only you can answer that. You are sampling before buying such expensive fragrances, aren't you?
See below....
Just get samples and choose which one you like best. Strangers on an internet forum shouldn't really decide for you...
They won't I assure you. I am merely doing my homework in order to trim down any potential sample buying list. It can be expensive otherwise.

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
See below....

They won't I assure you. I am merely doing my homework in order to trim down any potential sample buying list. It can be expensive otherwise.
But if you’re relying on people’s comments to decide what samples to get you could well be missing out on scents you may love. One man‘s redundant is another man’s must have.

• Insightful
Reactions: rum

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Sloth, stop putting so much credibility or importance in the non-sensory aspects of fragrances. The names, the price, the brand, the written notes, the reviews it has online - all of these are insubstantial things that will not help you know whether you like a fragrance and/or whether you want to own it. The only way you can do this is by trying the fragrances. Try them, smell them, wear them. Everything else is preamble. By comparing these three fragrances, you're grouping them together conceptually because they have several elements that naturally go together - they're citric, fresh, bright, boutique/niche and expensive. But they're all distinct from one another in ways that are very difficult to translate in to the written word. Fragrance is all about the je ne sais quois - particularly when it comes to the nuances.

You're asking for 'why' people prefer one over the other, but the only thing people can do is give you a personal opinion and broad brush strokes. You have to try fragrances for yourself. Based on how much you agonise over the cost of fragrances (did you buy a bottle of GIT in the end?) I would encourage you to not even worry about these three fragrances as they're far more expensive with inferior performance to GIT. Ask yourself what you want: why are you looking at these three fragrances? Do you want a clean, pure citrus fragrance? There are many much cheaper options that you could look at if that is the case. But I would reiterate you are wasting your time by focusing too much on the preamble and the superificial - these elements are guides, at best, and are more than not disappointing/misleading. Don't put stock undue stock in the conceptual; don't shop with your eyes and your mind. Buy with your nose.

Forgive me, but I suspect you are prone to ruminating and possibly overthinking things. For this reason, I think you would do really well to set yourself a target or final focus that everyone else can help you get to. I get the sense you like fresh aquatic fragrances and are also looking for a scent like this, which is more focused on citruses. There are loads of options out there in these two categories, and plenty of top class stuff which is far more affordable than these 3. It's easy to buy in to the idea that higher price means higher value in more than just a monetary sense (i.e. higher quality) but these fragrances are decent without being spectacular. I would encourage you to start with Acqua di Parma's citrus fragrances if you want affordable niche fragrances focused on citruses. You can find samples easily and cheaply - they're also sold in John Lewis, depending where you live, so should be easy to sample if you take a trip there - and bottles can be bought for around £50-60 for 150ml online.

• Insightful
Reactions: rum

Latest News