Creating Ambergris base

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
I can't buy any Ambergris tincture nor a synthetic Ambergris base in the Netherlands (i.e. not one of the "established" ones like IFF's "Ambergris T Ollifac" so I wonder how could I recreate Ambergris' scent (the real deal or a really good base) as close as possible? I know it's impossible to create a base that smells exactly like Ambergris and I'm aware there is not one Ambergris scent, but I'd like to have an idea of what Ambergris can be like.

I'm thinking of materials like Cetalox or Ambroxan for starters. Then maybe adding small amounts of Ambermax or Ambrocenide? What about Indol and/or Castoreum? Maybe some scentenal for a briney note? Those are just some of my wild guesses; feel free to correct me if I'm totally wrong.

Anyone here with some experience in trying to mimic Ambergris and/or has some ideas of a demo formula that might work?

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
Mostly ambrox with touches of ambrinol are a reasonable start.
Thanks Stevenat but I don't have Ambrinol.

My supplier is a shop in the Netherlands whose name I can't mention here because my original thread got rejected because of it (long story short: it took me 5 days to get this thread (my first one) online and only by leaving out that name). Anyway: let's translate it to the "Witchery". You probably know what I mean (others seem to be able to use the Dutch name without problem).

So if you can come up with an equivalent to Ambrinol from that store (or a mix of AC's), you're welcome. Thanks!

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
I can think of some replacement for Ambrinol, but I am sure acquiring everything for it would be more complicated than buying the Ambrinol itself.

As you were ordering from the Netherlands, I assume you can just as easily order from Poland:
https://www.perfumiarz.com/en/produkt/ambrinol-s-25-ml/

Here is my bare-bones Ambargris replacer, for after you buy the Ambrinol:

Barebone Ambargris Replacer
Ambrarome740
Ambrox Super (Ambroxan)185
Ambrinol75
Total1000

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
Thanks Big L. I wasn't familar with Perfumiarz. Both Ambrarome and Ambrinol are out of stock (like many of their materials) but I certainly will have a look in it in the near future and I bookmarked the store as well.

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
I didn't notice it was out of stock when I sent the link. Sorry about that.

You can also get it from PCW:

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
Ambrinol 95 is my favorite ambergris. If you have, you can try fixateur505, that is stronger than Cetalox. Stronger but never like Ambrinol.

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
Ambrinol 95 is my favorite ambergris. If you have, you can try fixateur505, that is stronger than Cetalox. Stronger but never like Ambrinol.
I do have Fixateur 505E but I'm almost certain there's also some Ionones in there (not sure which one) so I don't think that would do a better job here than Cetalox and/or Ambroxan.

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
You can also get it from PCW.
Thanks again Big L.
Problem with that store is they only accept payment by Credit card (which I don't have) from what I can read on their website.

German Pujol

Feb 10, 2017
Hi, i saw an accord for fixateur 404, it was something like:
Ambroxan 10%
Methyl ionona gamma 5%
Iso Carveol Acetate 2.5%
Vetiveryl acetate 2%
Tobacco abs 0.3%
Labdanum 0.2%
Isopropyl myristate 80%

PeeWee678

Basenotes Member
Jan 7, 2022
Hi, i saw an accord for fixateur 404, it was something like:
Ambroxan 10%
Methyl ionona gamma 5%
Iso Carveol Acetate 2.5%
Vetiveryl acetate 2%
Tobacco abs 0.3%
Labdanum 0.2%
Isopropyl myristate 80%
Thanks but I think you misread my question. I have Fixateur 505 but my question was about creating an Ambergris base.
In the meantime I bought some Ambergris base (PCW) and also Ambrinol. I think I now have some more insight into what Ambergris smells like.

a4la

May 6, 2017
I can think of some replacement for Ambrinol, but I am sure acquiring everything for it would be more complicated than buying the Ambrinol itself.

As you were ordering from the Netherlands, I assume you can just as easily order from Poland:
https://www.perfumiarz.com/en/produkt/ambrinol-s-25-ml/

Here is my bare-bones Ambargris replacer, for after you buy the Ambrinol:

Barebone Ambargris Replacer
Ambrarome740
Ambrox Super (Ambroxan)185
Ambrinol75
Total1000
Hi Big L, here with Ambrinol do you mean Cas# 71832-76-3 or Cas# 41199-19-3 (Technically Alpha-Ambrinol)?

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
Just going off some things i’ve seen before of an ambergris tincture, if I recall the numbers correctly there was over 80% ambrein ( which is supposedly odorless and complete fantasy; a created accord) and I think it was beyond well under 1% maybe .5% ambrox which is practically the entire odorant of ambergris.

Apr 20, 2019
Ambergris tincture is much more complex than just the amounts of ambrox it contains (which is minimal). Ambergris tincture smells like the ocean...it smells like seaweed and dead fish and salty rocks with an underlying animalic note that is unlike any other animal musk. And every piece of ambergris smells a little different from one another...it's almost impossible to recreate in its truest nuance. But one of the closest materials I have smelled is Grisalva (IFF) also known amber furan. That will get you about 90% there in terms of scent profile but it's still lacking the natural nuances of real ambergris. I'm not sure that could ever be replicated 100% though....

Quay Limey

Nov 1, 2020
Ambergris tincture smells like the ocean...it smells like seaweed and dead fish and salty rocks with an underlying animalic note that is unlike any other animal musk. And every piece of ambergris smells a little different from one another
I have a friend that has quite a selection of tinctures. It's quite astounding how little some of them smell in comparison; some have virtually no smell at all. I have tiny amount of a New Zealand white ambergris tincture that I used to create my accord and it’s faint but noticeable enough to smell from the tiny vial. It’s quite sweet and something about it takes me back to the first time I ate lobster, that sweet shellfish taste.

Agree on Grisalva and ambrinol as being essential. Ionone types are useful but I find some perfumers use too much and it sits far too pronounced in the accord. I fear the layman will start to associate that smell with ambergris and we’ll have a spate of ionone-based bases on the market, totally killing the better recreations.

I also think the whole ambergris thing is starting to become a fantasy accord, so other oceanic materials can be employed to create that impression.

Latest News