Cosmetic surgery/procedures

steve0580

Dec 24, 2012
I've had 6 hair transplants, lasik and I get botox shots every three months, however the botox isn't for cosmetic reasons, it's because I have chronic migraine headaches. Don't get me wrong though, I love the fact that I get a smooth forehead out of the deal but again, that wasn't the primary reason.

As far as the six hair transplants go, those were over a period of 17 years. Without them, I would have been bald and they're so good that you wouldn't be able to that I had them done, unless I pointed it out. I spent over 30k overall on transplants and it's worth every single penny to me.

In regard to the lasik, that was done back in 1998 or 1999. I'd been wearing glasses and contacts for so many years that I wanted to get it done and I've never looked back - it's definitely worth it too. Since I've had it done, techniques have dramatically improved as well and are far less invasive.

As far as how I feel about cosmetic surgery overall, I think it's a good thing, because everything is how you feel about yourself. We only get one life to live and if having something done will make you feel better about yourself, by all means, do so. I

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
I've had 6 hair transplants, lasik and I get botox shots every three months, however the botox isn't for cosmetic reasons, it's because I have chronic migraine headaches. Don't get me wrong though, I love the fact that I get a smooth forehead out of the deal but again, that wasn't the primary reason.

As far as the six hair transplants go, those were over a period of 17 years. Without them, I would have been bald and they're so good that you wouldn't be able to that I had them done, unless I pointed it out. I spent over 30k overall on transplants and it's worth every single penny to me.

In regard to the lasik, that was done back in 1998 or 1999. I'd been wearing glasses and contacts for so many years that I wanted to get it done and I've never looked back - it's definitely worth it too. Since I've had it done, techniques have dramatically improved as well and are far less invasive.

As far as how I feel about cosmetic surgery overall, I think it's a good thing, because everything is how you feel about yourself. We only get one life to live and if having something done will make you feel better about yourself, by all means, do so. I

Since your botox is used to fight migraines, is it covered under an insurance plan?

steve0580

Dec 24, 2012
For chronic migraines my insurance covers it, although I do have a co-pay / coinsurance. If it were for cosmetic reasons, they'd wouldn't. My plan is with Health Alliance Plan (HAP.

Robin-in-FL

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 18, 2011
Bringing this back from the dead as I've been thinking about it lately.

I believe if I had endless money, I WOULD eventually get a moderate facelift, but WOULD NOT tummy tuck. Would not ever do fillers or botox. And just not into big boobs, I don't want them. I'd say my midsection is my biggest frustration, because no matter how much I work out it will never be tight after 4 big babies, but skin bounced way better than expected, and I do not believe surgery would give me what I want, it never seems to look good on lean/straight builds. If there was a magic wand that could simply tighten skin up, now that I would do. Not to perfect but a change would be welcome.

I did have Lasik, for medical reasons, not cosmetic, was profoundly nearsighted and afterwards could wear glasses and be corrected.

I do kind of like the idea of beauty being something you do or buy, though, and unattainable naturally. Way more democratic than the alternative. The reverence for "Natural Beauty" is honestly kind of terrible and discriminatory. Though I think a lot of men (in particular) are unaware of how much work women in the public eye have had done, and also unaware of filters, so then they compare apples to oranges, mistaking "done" beauty for natural beauty. Like people say they don't like facial surgery, botox, fake boobs, but if they are well done they don't see them as unnatural, they only notice the extreme or botched procedures, and think the others are natural and that is why they look good.

And yep, most everyone I know who bought boobs loves them, and the coworker who got tummy tuck and boob lift, she had spectacular results. Basically think anyone who wants work done should go for it and enjoy the results, it's their body to modify and use however they want.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Apr 25, 2007
And yep, most everyone I know who bought boobs loves them, and the coworker who got tummy tuck and boob lift, she had spectacular results. Basically think anyone who wants work done should go for it and enjoy the results, it's their body to modify and use however they want.
Saline? Silicone? I hates 'em, both. Not an implant fan... no matter how "good" a job, sooner or later they "show". And "lifts"? Again, not a fan... "pert" breasts are for teens/20-somethings. Bodies are a "package deal" -- I like aged meat, aged cheese, aged wine-and-liquor... and age-appropriate women who look it. OTOH, I have all these tattoos, so...

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
When I was in my early 20’s, I desperately wanted double eyelid surgery. It’s a procedure very common amongst Asians, where a hooded or smaller lid is essentially stitched back further to create a bigger lid fold, thus creating a bigger, wider eye. I know, gross.

My fear of scalpels overrode my vanity, and I never ended up getting it - which now, as an adult, I’m grateful for since the shape of my eyes have subtly changed over the years on their own.

More recently, I really wanted lip fillers. I guess these Instagram girls kind of wedged themselves into my psyche. My husband is very against cosmetic surgery, and very blatantly told me that there would be a huge issue between us if I ever chose to go that route - so no lip fillers for me. (Kind of glad that I didn’t do that either, since all of these inflated mouths are starting to look the same - and weird).

Will I consider Botox or something of that nature in my late 40’s or 50’s? Heck yeah. Will I actually do it? I’m not sure - ask me down the line, and I’ll let you know.

Aug 16, 2022
I don't think I've ever seen a nose job that looked right, except those to correct injury. They're generally too small and don't match the "flow" of the face, often along with adding honk to the voice. That's my strong opinion on the topic...I did see some cheek implants in a recent trial that looked awful.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I don't think I've ever seen a nose job that looked right, except those to correct injury. They're generally too small and don't match the "flow" of the face, often along with adding honk to the voice. That's my strong opinion on the topic...I did see some cheek implants in a recent trial that looked awful.

Agreed - I don’t think I’ve ever seen any facial surgery that looks natural.

They all look “off” somehow.

Aug 16, 2022

Though I suppose if it's subtle enough to not look like surgery our statistics may be flawed. Intuitively though, when people opt for cosmetic surgery they usually want the change to be obvious, so it isn't subtle.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Though I suppose if it's subtle enough to not look like surgery our statistics may be flawed. Intuitively though, when people opt for cosmetic surgery they usually want the change to be obvious, so it isn't subtle.

How very true.

In hindsight, I’m glad that I never went through with the procedures that I wanted. I see my face (and myself) differently now than I did 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

I shudder to think what I would have done to myself, since I think it’s a rare person that can actually see themselves the way that they really are.

Michael Jackson 2.0. Could’ve been me.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
If it's corrective cosmetic surgery, I'm for it, If it's vanity cosmetic surgery, I'm not.

cdave2

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2019
I have scars from cystic acne, so I would consider some form of resurfacing or scar revision if I could afford it. Nothing more, though; as several people have already said, it usually looks “off.” And even though I dislike my stomach, I think I’d prefer the results of hiring a personal trainer instead.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009

Living in Los Angeles, I see a LOT of women and men that have undergone cosmetic procedures. An ex girlfriend dabbled a bit with some of the dermatologist "in patient office stuff" (botox; face fillers) and I must admit it worked pretty well. She was also still fairly young. Did not look unnatural or odd. If done with some restraint, it can be okay.

But I also see a fair number of people that are a little too old to push it that hard. There is a line that gets crossed when you get one procedure too many. Some of the lip fillers are horrible. An immediate mental reaction of "Seriously?!? What were you thinking?"

I dislike the age lines on my forehead, but men I know who got botox always look so slack faced and humorless.

One of the oddest I ever saw was a guy in a restuarant. He was a "producer type" meeting a beautiful model type woman for lunch. When he first came in my thought was "poor guy must have been in a bad accident." Then realized, "nope, he did that to himself to look younger." Everyone who meets that guy must be seriously aghast for a few minutes as they come to grips with his scary look was self inflicted.

I'm in my own debate about an eyelid thing. They are puffy to the point of nearly or somewhat interfering with vision. But I always recoil from people who have an eye job and seem to look like they just sat on a Popsicle.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Living in Los Angeles, I see a LOT of women and men that have undergone cosmetic procedures. An ex girlfriend dabbled a bit with some of the dermatologist "in patient office stuff" (botox; face fillers) and I must admit it worked pretty well. She was also still fairly young. Did not look unnatural or odd. If done with some restraint, it can be okay.

But I also see a fair number of people that are a little too old to push it that hard. There is a line that gets crossed when you get one procedure too many. Some of the lip fillers are horrible. An immediate mental reaction of "Seriously?!? What were you thinking?"

I dislike the age lines on my forehead, but men I know who got botox always look so slack faced and humorless.

One of the oddest I ever saw was a guy in a restuarant. He was a "producer type" meeting a beautiful model type woman for lunch. When he first came in my thought was "poor guy must have been in a bad accident." Then realized, "nope, he did that to himself to look younger." Everyone who meets that guy must be seriously aghast for a few minutes as they come to grips with his scary look was self inflicted.

I'm in my own debate about an eyelid thing. They are puffy to the point of nearly or somewhat interfering with vision. But I always recoil from people who have an eye job and seem to look like they just sat on a Popsicle.

As both you and ErroneousFact have stated, a light touch and a skilled hand can possibly yield very “natural” results. Perhaps these are the jobs that I never notice - which is the point, I’m assuming - but I notice plentyyyy of the overboard ones.

I absolutely agree that Botox often makes one look humorless. That scares me off a little bit - on top the fact that it’s actual botulism being injected into one’s face. I’d thought that as a New Yorker, I’ve seen the worst, but you’re right - LA is a whole different animal when it comes to plastic surgery!

If an eyelid issue interferes with your vision or quality of life, that’s completely different. That’s not cosmetic - I’d say that’s more reconstructive. Not Popsicle status 😆

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
If an eyelid issue interferes with your vision or quality of life, that’s completely different. That’s not cosmetic - I’d say that’s more reconstructive. Not Popsicle status 😆
Yes, I agree the vision issue makes it's purpose not cosmetic. But at the end of the day it IS still basically the same procedure and the result can be Popsicle face.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Yes, I agree the vision issue makes it's purpose not cosmetic. But at the end of the day it IS still basically the same procedure and the result can be Popsicle face.

I suppose that’s true. Risks are risks.

Especially Popsicle Face 😞

Research is incredibly important, I think. Reviewing their work, perhaps even a referral from someone you trust. I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for - especially with plastic surgery. I hope that you take your time, and that if you ever decide to pursue the procedure, that it is successful and goes smoothly.

It boggles my mind when I read about people flying out to different countries to save their dollars on bargain surgery, and then having the audacity to be shocked if it ends up botched or infected. What did you think would happen?!

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
From a personal viewpoint alone: f an absolute medical necessity and/or also needed (while not vital) to somehow restore/ensure a somewhat presentable, socially acceptable outer appearance, then yes.
If not, not necessarily so much of a priority any longer: though still not fully opposing it and quite accepting towards it, whether it concerns anyone else or also myself.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Other than burn victims, accident victims, or people born with deformities that can live a more normal, confident life as a result of cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, I am not in favor of it. I find natural appearance beautiful, and unneeded cosmetic surgery can be expensive and risky. But, to each their own. I will accept my physical changes in appearance with grace and gratitude.

Robin-in-FL

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 18, 2011
On the botox & boob jobs - my sister and I are a good case study. She is in Ft. Lauderdale where there is a more standard Stepford Wife vibe so has long blonde hair, botox, boobs; I am in Tampa where there is not that pressure, and have only done sunscreen when I remember, retin-A, good night cream since forever, wear my hair naturally curly and dark. So basically well maintained but not modified.

Honestly I do think I am aging better? I am not sure if it's just different depending on your face shape, but I do not mind the wrinkles I have gotten so far, the look is ok and the only thing I'd like is some firming. We both started out with sort of chubby faces, I am reasonably happy with what has been uncovered as that wore off. But again - I am pretty sure that when cosmetic work is done well it is not necessarily something you can see. Botox in particular does make the face age oddly, I don't personally like that look but:

Look at the gallery here of some regular people with facelifts at a local place, it's not extreme and doesn't make them look that much different.
It doesn't make them beautiful but I'm sure they are happy with their results and they just go on looking like themselves.

And again, I'd not presume to tell anyone else what to do with their body. I do not at all think you have to be deformed to deserve cosmetic surgery, and if you are 'deformed' I don't think you necessarily need to change your looks just to make other people comfortable. Like, I'm absolutely sure that any surgeon would give me bigger boobs, they consider them underdeveloped. Deformed, LOL. Actually told me that when I was younger. But they fed 4 kids and I like them. And I broke my nose and it's kind of crooked, but I like that too. IMO anybody should do whatever they want with their own bodies. It doesn't hurt anyone else, why should I care?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022

You’ve made a lot of interesting points, lots of food for thought.

Concerning the gallery, maybe it’s just me - and I’m sorry if I’m being nit picky or negative - but all of the “afters” still look odd to me. That whole “something looks off” thing.

BUT in all fairness, I’m looking at these pictures knowing fully well that there has been work done, so perhaps I am looking with critical eyes.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...