Coromandel from Chanel Les Exclusifs - For Men?

George P

Jun 22, 2010
I know everyone seems to say this is for men and women (and I adore this scent), but when I wear it I keep looking around for the hot girl who's wearing this stuff - even when in my apartment alone! :cheesy:

So I ask you this - in your opinion, is this a true unisex fragrance or do you feel it leans a bit in the feminine direction?

pancks

Nov 19, 2008
My DH and I both wear it, it smells quite different on each of us and I must say I LOVE it on him.

George P

Jun 22, 2010
I think it leans on the feminine side - but so what?

I have sampled it a few times and each time I found myself getting turned on by it, in the way that I am turned on by women's fragrances. It's a weird experience, one that I have never had with any other fragrance that I have worn. Granted, I have never worn a unisex scent before.

So, although I love the scent, the above issue is keeping me from taking the plunge. I posted here to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Although I love this fragrance, I don't want to buy a bottle if I am just going to end up wanting a beautiful woman to wear it instead of me. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

dmarino67

Dec 15, 2007
I have sampled it a few times and each time I found myself getting turned on by it, in the way that I am turned on by women's fragrances. It's a weird experience, one that I have never had with any other fragrance that I have worn. Granted, I have never worn a unisex scent before.

So, although I love the scent, the above issue is keeping me from taking the plunge. I posted here to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Although I love this fragrance, I don't want to buy a bottle if I am just going to end up wanting a beautiful woman to wear it instead of me. Does that make sense?

Maybe find a beautiful woman to wear it. I haven't found any of the Les Exclusifs to be unisex/masculine but I haven't tried Bois des Iles and Cuir de Rusise yet.

jrd4t

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 26, 2007
I wear it frequently and really love it. I even have a small atomizer in my office and if I spray a couple times, my whole team comes in to enjoy it. :)

oakman

Jul 22, 2009
I had the same feeling about it ! I really liked it but felt it was just a little bit too feminine to be comfortable with , but I guess it is all about what you think you can get away with, while not feeling too self conscious !! I think that Eau de Cologne and Sycomore are the most unisex in the range , I have EdC and it is one of my all time favourite purchases !! (despite the price)

JacquesD

Aug 12, 2010
I have sampled it a few times and each time I found myself getting turned on by it, in the way that I am turned on by women's fragrances.

I don't really understand why this would be a problem ... unless you're worried about other people getting turned on by it too and mistaking you for the kind of beautiful woman you associate the fragrance with? ;)

I'm joking, of course - I only mean to say that if you enjoy the way it smells - and especially if it turns you on! - then you shouldn't feel any compunctions about wearing it whenever and wherever you like. I do happen to think that nearly all fragrances have the potential to be unisex in that it's more about the attitude and individual chemistry of the wearer that anything inherent in the fragrance itself. As Andy Warhol once said, "I'm sure the right hormones can make Chanel No. 5 smell very butch."

George P

Jun 22, 2010
I only mean to say that if you enjoy the way it smells - and especially if it turns you on! - then you shouldn't feel any compunctions about wearing it whenever and wherever you like.

It's just confusing, because usually I have only had this experience before with women wearing women's fragrances. I usually wear Egoiste, in fact lately only Egoiste, and as much as I love that one, the smell of it has never turned me on.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I don't know if I'd call it feminine, but it is definitely very, very sweet. The notes themselves don't scream feminine to me. Masculine and feminine scents can be as sweet or sweeter.

Anyway, gender irrelevancy aside, it's too sweet for me.

AnthonyDG

Oct 12, 2007
Very unisex. Coromandel was in my Top 5 this past summer. It's just really fun wearing a patchouli fragrance and still feeling like it wears in an opulent, sparkling manner.

tott

May 12, 2009
Coromandel is a fantastic fragrance that anyone can wear.

It might be leaning towards the feminine spectrum, but so are many "masculine" fragrances nowadays.

Just wear it and enjoy! :cheesy:

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
I find it a more chocolatey take on patchouli that works nicely in cool weather. It's a 'polite patchouli' . . . pretty unisex IMO but I can understand it might be a bit sweet for some tastes - best used lightly.

Last edited:

Robert G.

Nov 19, 2009
I agree that it leans more feminine, probably due to powdery/perfumey chanel style. I owned it before but replaced it with the more raw/in your face/hairy chested/ but sensitive inside Borneo 1834.

margi

Mar 8, 2007
I know this is a male discussion, but from a female's prespective I totally love my husband wearing Coromandel. He is a real alpha male type and gets lots of positive comments when he uses it. :)

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
I find it a little too 'confectionary' for my tastes but that's probably why many others love it. Without more prominently masculine/unisex elements acting as counterweights I too feel it leaning towards the 'feminine'. Would thus expect to smell it off a woman.

George P

Jun 22, 2010
I know this is a male discussion, but from a female's prespective I totally love my husband wearing Coromandel. He is a real alpha male type and gets lots of positive comments when he uses it. :)

Thanks for the comment, I find this particularly useful.

A

AromiErotici

If that's the case, just keep a small amount around for periodic samplings for your own enjoyment.

supperman

Mar 28, 2010
It smells nice, but I'm not so keen on it. It's pretty floral and I don't reallyget too much patchouli from it.

AnthonyDG

Oct 12, 2007
A scent like Coromandel would normally sour on my skin - getting too cloying and unraveling into a mess of overly-sweet notes that almost gag me. Sadly, Heritage EdP and a handful of others do this on my skin. Coromandel approaches that point but never gets there.. I love the transformation to the earthy (almost like wet mud) dry-down that is patchouli.

As an aside, I wore this to a physiotherapy session and one of the staff went door-to-door until she found "THAT smell". It was Coromandel, my SOTD, and she wouldn't let me leave without telling her exactly where and how to get a bottle!

mtgprox05

Dec 28, 2007
Short Answer: Yes

Slightly Longer Answer: Yes, with a caveat. I find the smell completely unisex, but it has an odd texture. A certain weightiness, a plushness that I associate with feminines moreso than with masculines. It's very opulent, and because of this can, I would assume, through some wearers off.

Jun 10, 2010
Its just Chanel and their marketing...these are the same people that market Sycomore to women and to me Sycomore is more masculine than feminine. Its all just a marketing scheme. To me Coromandel smell EXACTLY like Musc Ravageur, yet Musc Ravageur is marketed as unisex...hmm, so if Musc Ravageur which is essentially Coromandel, and Musc Ravageur is unisex....then Coromandel is UNISEX!!!

Dutchy

May 12, 2009
the woman of my dreams wear this. This makes me the woman of my dreams. oh well at least i always agree that i am great and always understand my feelings, am thoughtful and caring and we never fight over what program to watch ;)

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Unisex. A fragrance this beautiful shouldn't be kept to just half the world. Beautiful patchouli drydown, and I'm not even a fan of patchouli. Wear and enjoy.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
It is throat-achingly sweet on me, so I don't enjoy it, but that sweetness doesn't exactly make it feminine. There are plenty of sweet masculines out there. Overall, I would say this is perfectly unisex in its construction.

Also, I agree strongly with your Musc Ravageur comparison. Maybe remove that hint of animalism and add bit more honey and spice, and you have something very close to Coromandel's base.

Aphid

Nov 3, 2010
I wear it all the time and find it to be one of the best of the houses offerings, male\female\unisex or whatever corporate arbitrary classification it falls under.

Last edited:

Latest News