copying skincare fragrance using the ingredient label

IthinkIcancancan

Basenotes Member
Nov 21, 2020
Hello,

There is a rose skincare line with a fragrance I want to make on my own to wear. However, I am having trouble figuring out what ingredients I NEED to replicate the fragrance. As you can see below, the labels list the chemicals that are naturally occurring in rose essential oil. I initially interpret this as them saying "we use rose essential oil to provide the fragrance in the product, and here are the chemical compounds in the essential oil we have to list by law".

However, I don't think this can be right. There has to be more to the fragrance than the rose essential oils, right? Are they only obligated to show THESE specific chemical compounds in the rose essential oil, but not the OTHER chemical compounds used to make the fragrance that aren't from rose essential oil? Are there ingredients NOT LISTED used to make the fragrance?

below are examples

this is their roll on perfume oil:
Dicaprylyl Ether, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Fragrance/Parfum*, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Rosa gallica Flower Extract, Citronellol*, Linalool*, Eugenol*, Methyl Eugenol*, Citral*.
*From Natural Essential Oil (Rose - Rosa damascena & Rosa centifolia).

A product from their line:
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Linalool*, Citral*, Eugenol*, Farnesol*, Limonene*.
*from natural essential oils

Thanks in advance :)

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
You can't.

The entire fragrance is masked within the single entry "Fragrance/Parfum"; the ingredient label does not tell you what's in the scent. Everything other than that "Fragrance" entry is either a functional material that isn't relevant to the scent, or is a potential allergen that's present within the scent and they're simply calling it out to inform consumers.

xanthon

Basenotes Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello,

There is a rose skincare line with a fragrance I want to make on my own to wear. However, I am having trouble figuring out what ingredients I NEED to replicate the fragrance. As you can see below, the labels list the chemicals that are naturally occurring in rose essential oil. I initially interpret this as them saying "we use rose essential oil to provide the fragrance in the product, and here are the chemical compounds in the essential oil we have to list by law".

However, I don't think this can be right. There has to be more to the fragrance than the rose essential oils, right? Are they only obligated to show THESE specific chemical compounds in the rose essential oil, but not the OTHER chemical compounds used to make the fragrance that aren't from rose essential oil? Are there ingredients NOT LISTED used to make the fragrance?

below are examples

this is their roll on perfume oil:
Dicaprylyl Ether, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Fragrance/Parfum*, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Rosa gallica Flower Extract, Citronellol*, Linalool*, Eugenol*, Methyl Eugenol*, Citral*.
*From Natural Essential Oil (Rose - Rosa damascena & Rosa centifolia).

A product from their line:
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Linalool*, Citral*, Eugenol*, Farnesol*, Limonene*.
*from natural essential oils

Thanks in advance :)
If I may add, from an economic perspective, the formula (mentioned as parfum on the label) is rent seeking factor for the perfume industry. For business reasons, these formula are kept hidden to prevent copies. Having said that, hypothetically, even one gets to know the exact ingredients, contained in the formula, it's extremely hard to understand their ratio in the composition without trial and error and well developed nose.

Creating your own perfume does sound fun though.

NobleScent

Long Time Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
I am having trouble figuring out what ingredients I NEED to replicate the fragrance.

My entire (now 5 years) long journey into perfuming (and eventually flavoring and confectionary) began by trying to do exactly what you are trying to do and I will tell you that out of the almost hundreds of replications I tried to make I never came close.

The closest I got was recreating essential oils from GCMS sheets, recreating candle scents from MSDS sheets, and using TGSC or other formula from the internet; and those were not a close approximation.

Overall I can tell you short of finding a formula, you will NEVER be able to replicate it from an ingredients list, or even by olfactory sense alone. I don't say this to be rude but just to save you the pitfall some of us have made.
There really are no shortcuts in perfumery (as far as I've seen).

The closest shortcut you can get is researching this very forum.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
There are only three ingredients that you can glean from this list that are used in a small amount as reinforcement for the main blend of " Fragrance/Parfum",
Rosa gallica Flower Extract, Rosa damascena & Rosa centifolia.

The bulk of the scent/fragrance is the Fragrance/Parfum, of unknown ingredients and concentrations.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...