Comme des Garcons Luxe Patchouli EdP and EdT comparison

nthny

Apr 30, 2007
Hi everyone. I've been a huge fan of Luxe Patchouli since I first smelled it in 2008, and I was excited to post about this, since I've searched for information and have only come up with a few articles (a great one being from the ismellthereforeiam blog).

When I read about the EdT here (the thread has now gone to the Huddler archive that can't be added to), I wanted to know more, especially considering that 100 mL for $155 seems pretty reasonable, considering the price of the original EdP - $290 for 40 mL . I wanted to know if it'd be possible to get that same incredible golden, syrupy, earthy, herbal, fenugreek, vetiver perfection that the EdP version gave me, in the EdT concentration.

I'm really pleased to say that, in my opinion, it is - mostly.

I purchased a sample of each from Luckyscent, and have been able to do some side-by-side comparisons, as well as wearing each one independently on different days. Obviously they aren't identical, but the difference to me seems mostly in texture and weight - not smell. The EdP experience is richer, and a tad oilier, and I smell it throughout the day much more easily without thinking about it. The EdT is really similar to the EdP at the beginning, and in my opinion it fades more by the end of the day.

So yes, the EdP is excellent and I personally conceptually enjoy its thicker, richer texture more. But the EdT is very similar, if only slightly brighter, for lack of a better word, a very tiny bit drier, and less dense (which may make it more versatile), and the differences are mostly only noticeable when they are smelled side-by-side. When I wear the EdT alone, my memory of the EdP isn't slighted in the least. Is it better to buy the intensely concentrated EdP since so little needs to be used? I haven't yet decided on that actually.

I know a ton of people aren't interested in Luxe Patchouli, but for those who are, I wanted to share my thoughts on this, and I'd definitely be interested in knowing what anyone else who has experienced both thinks.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited:

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
Coincidentally I gave the EdP a wearing a few days ago.

I did manage to smell the edt to. A brief spray to the wrist.

I found it nice as well but not as rich as the edp, obviously.

Frankly if I were to get one it'd be the Edp.

I mean it is a full version of what it is while the edt smelled like a diet version.

But then the immortelle may be too overwhelming , so the edt is a better alternative.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I was just thinking about this scent yesterday - I loved the EdP when I tested it when it came out. I am not a patchouli fan but this one is so rich, opulent and complex. It is probably the only patchouli prominent scent, besides Borneo 1834 that I would spring for a FB of.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
In the end I prefer the EDT for being slightly less dense and syrupy. On top of that, I don't find the EDP different enough to justify the price difference.

iodine

Oct 26, 2010
Coincidentally I gave the EdP a wearing a few days ago.

I did manage to smell the edt to. A brief spray to the wrist.

I found it nice as well but not as rich as the edp, obviously.

Frankly if I were to get one it'd be the Edp.

I mean it is a full version of what it is while the edt smelled like a diet version.

But then the immortelle may be too overwhelming , so the edt is a better alternative.

Totally agree with you on the "diet version":grin:. I once sprayed the EDT on one wrist and the EDP on the other and the effect of the EDT was of something much weaker and less interesting, very similar to many other patchoulis around and not worth the price..
I'd still buy the EDP....

chopwet

Jun 14, 2012
Thanks fot this, I'm a fan of CDG and the more they are the discussed, the better. I had been keen to try both for ages and when my local department store finally got the full CDG I was delighted to get a chance to try so many.

I'm a patchouli fan and unfortunately the EDT left me a bit cold. It's not the type of patch I really like although I found it still pretty good. Definitely one to try a few more times.

nthny

Apr 30, 2007
Hey, guys. Thanks for your input. Hedonist and Alafrom, I feel like after a few days of wearing these, I have to say that the Eau de Parfum is winning, but I agree that perhaps the differences are few.

Mike, I love Borneo. A slightly more guilty pleasure in the same vein, for me, is Cartier's VII Defendue. Super chocolate with an incredibly earthy patchouli. Seriously tenacious stuff. But Borneo's dusty chocolate patchouli is in a class of its own.

Iodine, I've read that Luxe Patchouli reminds people of other patchoulis but I can't think of one that it reminds me of. I'd be curious of which ones it reminds you of.

Chopwet, if you haven't tried the EdP, you should. It's quite an experience.

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
Frankly I don't get much patchouli from it.
A lot of immortelle.

If you like the edt but find the edp overwhelming, then that's a pity really.
Because the edp is so much more engaging, voluptuous & satisfyingthan the edt.

iodine

Oct 26, 2010
Iodine, I've read that Luxe Patchouli reminds people of other patchoulis but I can't think of one that it reminds me of. I'd be curious of which ones it reminds you of.

I've tested quite a lot of patchouli fragrances lately and I really couldn't say which one exactly reminds me of Luxe EDT... (and I've just sprayed CDG once, so I can't say I remeber it!).
The idea I was trying to express is that if you liked the density and complexity of the EDP (and I do, it's not only the immortelle- a note I generally don't care much for- I love the dark, musty inkiness of the patchouli, which is lost in the EDT, IMO) the EDT seems a bit more "ordinary" where the EDP is pretty original.

(As a Bornéo fan I'll have to check the Heure Defendue you mention above! :wink:)

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
the EDT seems a bit more "ordinary" where the EDP is pretty original.
I share the same sentiment.

I guess the edt would be nice if your really really liked the perfume but can't wear the edp at certain venues or for certain occasions.
But then you could wear something else from your wardrobe.

(As a Bornéo fan I'll have to check the Heure Defendue you mention above! :wink:)

Yes, you must!

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
Hi nthny!
As the weather grows colder, I bring my little family of patchouli frags out from the back of the cabinet. I'm always looking for a good excuse to adopt another member into the clan. Your review of both the edt and edp of CDG's Luxe Patchouli much appreciated.

Latest News