mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
On another L' Artisan Parfumeur thread, a brand new L' Artisan vetiver fragrance, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre, was mentioned so I thought I would mention it here in case anyone missed it on that thread:

Hi!
My name is Celene, and I am the U.S. Brand Manager from L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Glad to hear the excitement from all of you about our upcoming launch Coeur de Vetiver Sacre!

It is due in U.S. September 2010 exclusively at Barneys New York.
For this launch we have asked the very talented perfumer, Carine Vinchon, to interpret the noble vetiver and we have imagined it as " an offering to the gods, a mystical journey between east and west, with its vibrant and ethereal woodiness..."

We have used a Haitian vetiver and a Robertet specialty heart vetiver to accentuate both the masculine and feminine qualities of this scent.

It sparkles with a freshness from black tea and bergomot, peppered with saffron, ginger, and coriander, and has accents of dates and dried apricot...

I hope this helps answer a few burning questions!
Best,
Celene

Now Smell This also posted a picture and more info...

...L’Artisan Parfumeur Coeur de Vétiver Sacré will be available in 50 ($95) or 100 ($135) ml Eau de Toilette, and will be exclusive to Barneys until next year...

coeurvetiver2.jpg

Last edited:

Pour_Monsieur

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 22, 2008
All those notes sure sound interesting , a busy lady with all that going on , I take it that Bertrand Duchaufour is behind it

mtgprox05

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 28, 2007
This sounds very good and I eagerly await my chance to smell it. Though I find it particularly interesting that Bertrand Duchaufour isn't the nose behind this. I remember Fragrantica had an interview with him way back in August of last year. He commented at one point that....

Right now, I am so busy. I am working on several projects for L’Artisan Parfumeur, including a Vetiver, a Tuberose, and an Amber Oriental. And I just finished for the next launch an incredibly strong OUD. I am very happy with this one.

So does this mean he was simply a collaborator? Was that project scrapped? Or can we expect another Vetiver in the future from L'Artisan?

carmencanada

Dec 9, 2007
Bertrand Duchaufour wasn't involved in this one at all, and as far as I know isn't working on any vetiver for L'Artisan. His next one for them is a leather scent, coming out this fall, inspired by Istambul.

I smelled Coeur Sacré de Vétiver today. On the blotter it's got fairly rough terpenic top notes and on skin I found it went through a faintly sour phase, but that's just one spritz at the end of a busy day. I'm hoping to get a sample sometime next week for a fairer assessment -- the conditions were less than optimal.

Last edited:

kärleksparfym

Aug 15, 2009
Very much looking forward to this landing at Barneys. I thought I had enough vetivers and could live with just 3-4 good ones in the regular arsenal, but I'm oh-so interested. Thanks for the teaser, Carmencanada, and look forward to hearing more from you.

Vinchon is also the nose for one of the upcoming Amouage Opus scents (#3), which I'm also enthusiastic about.

Tonyprince

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 1, 2007
I'm not too sure about this one - what with the dried fruit and the "masculine and feminine qualities" of vetiver comment. I'll try to keep an open mind and will definitely sample it, though.

carmencanada

Dec 9, 2007
Smelled it again this afternoon -- still no samples, but this time I got violet quite distinctly along with tea notes. Definitely needs to be tried on skin.

zztopp

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 2, 2006
I smelled this yesterday, just after it arrived at Barneys in San Francisco. See me comments here.

From your review it sounds intriguing. But the previous posters comment of violet + tea (with, I assume, the trademark L'Artisan wateriness) could be a deal breaker..

Somerville Metro Man

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 22, 2008
Just got my second try of this today and I am mostly underwhelmed. It is an interesting vetiver and like Denyse (carmencanada) I got the violet and tea.
The vetiver is very straightforward and I am initially not as excited as I was.
I didn't find it strange as Jaime did just sort of boring.
I'll know better once I wear it a little more.

neal

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2006
Just got my second try of this today and I am mostly underwhelmed. It is an interesting vetiver and like Denyse (carmencanada) I got the violet and tea.

Did you try this at Barney's in The Back Bay, Mark?

neal

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2006

Did you try this at Barney's in The Back Bay, Mark?

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks to the tester at my Barney's (and thanks to my favorite SA for the sample!), I'm wearing this today.

I'm really liking it.

It had that combination of dried fruits and cardamum that reminded me of Chergui, but with a big refreshing blast of bergamot on top. It took a while for the vetiver to really show up, but it came through after about an hour, quickly overpowering the fruit notes. It had the rose geranium of Encre Noire, so it smelled kind of like EN, but sweetened by the fruits and accompanied by the lingering spices.

I probably would have bought a bottle today if it had been in stock...

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
I tried it on skin again and had the same basic ideas, but I was able to compare it to Chergui directly. I still think it shares some of the herb mix, but the dried fruit note in Coeur is pretty much the same red fruit note in Fille en Anguilles, which is why it was giving me such strong Lutens flashbacks.

Cornflake

Mar 1, 2010
Got a sample of it today....find it very interseting indeed.

I like it, but again I'm not strong enough to break it down as many of the other people in here yet. lol

Zut

Basenotes Member
Dec 20, 2007
I just tried the sample I received in the mail yesterday. Like most L'artisan parfumeur's fragrances, Coeur de vétiver sacré is a high-quality product with an original personality. Unfortunately, it is not a keeper for me. Its staying power is not impressive (about two hours). Also, the black tea note overpowers the vetiver note which defeats the purpose of wearing a vetiver-based EDT. I am disappointed. I so wanted to love this fragrance. But I am sure it will smell wonderful on some people.

Sugandaraja

Basenotes Plus
Aug 28, 2007
Am I the only person who smells a distinct link between this and Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur. The fruit is more transparent here, the mimosa is absent, and the overall effect was more sour-transparent-leather than the Heeley's earthy-floral-leather, but I couldn't shake the association.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...