Classics Poll - Your Favourite ?

Your Favourite from the list ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

david

Jun 7, 2005
If your favourite classic is not listed, please post the name as a vote.
Please also state if you prefer the vintage/original release or the reformulated version.

Last edited:

david

Jun 7, 2005
You can also post the list in order of preference, (ommiting/ adding your favourite top twenty or top ten classics.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Egoiste just edges out Givenchy Gentleman for me but both are all time favourites of mine, along with Antaeus, Obsession and Iquitos.

From those listed Fahrenheit, Armani, Eau Sauvage and Lagerfeld For Men would be next on my list. Surely Polo should be an option too?

The poll is limited to a maximum of 20 choices, so it was difficult for me th choose the 20, but maybe you are right and Polo should be on the list. Also, Gianfranco Ferre For Man, Aramis among others.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
If I can only pick one, it's Egoiste

But I really like a bunch of those

Hard to rank them...

Antaeus
Kouros
Caron Pour Un Homme
Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme
Eau Sauvage
Givenchy Gentleman
Habit Rouge
Versace L'Homme
Azzaro Pour Homme

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
I'd add JHL, Bel Ami, Equipage, Van Cleef Arpels pour Homme, Tsar, Moschino pour Homme, Santos, Or Black.

My top favorite is the vintage Aramis - Havana.

aramis-havana-vintage.jpg

david

Jun 7, 2005
Thanks for the posts and votes.
It's impossible to list all of those 'classic' classics with a limit of just 20 to pick out. I hope basenotes might consider upgrading the list from 20 to 50 (?). Would be great.
So of course a lot of people are going to be disappointed that their classic is not on the list. Sorry about that.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Of those listed, Eau Sauvage (vintage).

So many more though...

Of course, but it's difficult when the maximum allowed is just 20. I also wanted to try to represent as many different houses as possible - so could only choose one from each brand and not include all the classic brands...

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Of your list, I voted for Versace L'Homme.

I also love:
Fahrenheit
Habit Rouge
Armani Pour Homme

I also like:
Azzaro Pour Homme
Knize Ten

Hard to define what is a classic, since any fragrance becomes a classic for anyone who loves it and wears it. But I guess here it refers to pre-2000 fragrances. So, at that point, a few others that need to be put in the list (as per my tastes):

Eau d'Hermes
Bel-Ami
Equipage
Eau d'Orange Verte (fka Eau de Cologne)
Homme de Gres
Guerlain Vetiver
Jicky
Mouchoir de Monsieur
Givenchy Vetiver
Monsieur de Givenchy
Carven Vetiver
L'Autre
L'Eau Trois
Antaeus
No.19
Monsieur Balmain
Vent Vert
Racine
Route du Vetiver
Santal Noble
Agua Fresca
LV Uomo
LV Sandalo
Lancetti Monsieur
Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
Pierre Cardin Centaure
R&G Open
Lauder for Men
Cabochard
GF for Man
GFF Uomo
Eau de Rochas
Globe
Parfum d'Homme
Cacharel pour l'Homme
Dunhill Edition
Balenciaga pour Homme
Feeling Man
Yatagan
Jazz
YSL pour Homme

And so many more....

Unless you can find them identically priced, I generally advocate against vintage bottles, as the small differences are not worth the large premium, and many who advocate for that usually just want others to know that they have a collector piece, more than really finding worth it. (If someone spend $200 for a vintage bottle that costs $50, it's natural to specify 'vintage' to brag about it... doesn't mean that vintage is always better, and in many cases the modern formulation are identical smelling, and in a few cases even smell better and correct some flaws of the vintage..

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
In order of strictly personal preference:

Armani Eau PH

with Knize Ten, Furyo, Habit Rouge, Caron pour un Homme, Davidoff, Paco Rabanne PH, Egoiste, Versace l'Homme, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro PH, Envy for Men all qualifying for a more than respectable second place and as immediate runner up/alternative options worth considering

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Whe seeing Furyo, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit warmed up my heart, the many missing ones like Bel Ami, Gucci Pour Homme 1976, Nobile breaks my heart 😟

Voted Eau Sauvage.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
Of the ones listed, I’d say Egoiste followed by Fahrenheit.

Of the ones not listed, vintage Polo.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I like every one listed with the exception of Fahrenheit which I have always abhorred.

From the list - voted Patou Pour Homme.

Not listed - Derby / Eau D'Hermes / Amouage Gold.

Ed Wardian

Oct 28, 2020
Knize Ten (still smells as rich today as it did a decade ago for me; any formulation) for the poll... Though there are too many to narrow and possibly I would select another on any given day... Ah, the luxury and limitation of choice, and the breadth between! :)

Some fine selections listed...

Let me add Acteur Loris Azzaro Paris, Pascal Morabito Or Black, Givenchy Xeryus... any period!

Latest posts

Latest News