Cheapie classics shopping list

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
So, I recently won a "major award" at work (a $100 Amazon gift card) ;), and I figured I'd put it to good use acquiring some classic fragrances I don't currently have. They need to be available on Amazon of course, and of low enough a price that they are unlikely to be counterfeited, but also classic fragrances worth checking out. Maybe some nice fougeres or chypres. The current short list is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Davidoff Zino, Aramis Devin, and Drakkar Noir. Those four come in just over $100, but I don't care if I bust by a couple of bucks, as long as it is reasonably close. Anything else I should consider or swap out? Help me make a classic shopping list. I submit my question to the collective wisdom of Basenotes.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Congratulations for the gift card. Adding to the great options already mentioned also Faconnable pour Homme, Lapidus PH, several Bogart fragrances including Signature, also Lalique White and Lalique Homme EDP.
Even though the four favorites mentioned in the thread starting post each are all great, especially if you can get each around 25$ per bottle.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Quorum Silver is a nice cheapie entry if you’re into cedar. Last I checked 100ml bottles were $10-$16. Been a while since I checked though.

BTW I got a kick out of the “major award” quotations. I remember the first time I got a monetary award it was “$200” straight into my paycheck. Which after some head scratching taxation came out to $87 and change. Wow gee thanks!

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Bogart Signature (1976) for a spicy pine sensation that is one part Jacomo (1980) one part Yatagan (1978) that equals a finely seasoned barber-shopped man... $20-25

Pasha de Cartier (1992), a gentlemanly spicy fougère that accentuates a dry minty santal vibe... 50ml under $50

Under the radar nod to Roger & Gallet Open Gold (2020), a honeyed leather powdery vibe in the mold of the classic Knize 10 (1920's) minus the petrol/ floral and Giorgio For Men by Beverly Hills' patchouli nectar (1984) in its drydown... $15-20

Pascal Morabito Or Black (2017 reissue and re-imagining of the gorgeous original with a violet absinthe accord) a personal fave that brings the shaving vibe into a leathery green of clean... (more or less $60)

+1 Zino Davidoff, most definitely a classic bang for your buck...

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
So, I recently won a "major award" at work (a $100 Amazon gift card) ;), and I figured I'd put it to good use acquiring some classic fragrances I don't currently have. They need to be available on Amazon of course, and of low enough a price that they are unlikely to be counterfeited, but also classic fragrances worth checking out. Maybe some nice fougeres or chypres. The current short list is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Davidoff Zino, Aramis Devin, and Drakkar Noir. Those four come in just over $100, but I don't care if I bust by a couple of bucks, as long as it is reasonably close. Anything else I should consider or swap out? Help me make a classic shopping list. I submit my question to the collective wisdom of Basenotes.

Geoffrey Beene Gray Flannel
Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green
Azzaro Visit
Azzaro Chrome
Tommy Hilfiger Tommy
CK Be
Versace Blue Jeans
Perry Ellis 360

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I think most of the best cheapies tend to be the classics, as they have a lot of character, and still manage to smell pretty high quality.

Lapidus Pour Homme $20
This is perfumey, flamboyant, but also masculine in the dry down. The bottle is a work of 80s art, looking like an art deco skyscraper. I hardly wear it, but it's one of my favorites.

Grey Flannel $15
The middle is kinda unisex/femme leaning and probably too powdery for some people. But once the basenotes come into play, it's a very clean scent that leans back slightly into masculine territory. The opening is harsher than the vintage, but after that it smells high quality.

Cuba Black $9
A smokier take on Azzaro Pour Homme, and smell-wise, it's superior to the current formulation of that late 70's classic. Only drawback is that longevity is about 3-4 hours. But it's definitely punching above its weight. Excellent stuff.

Halston Z-14 $15
The late 70s alternative to Polo. Very masculine, and a great cold-weather scent. It's kind of dirty in the drydown, moreso than the Lapidus, but still a nice fragrance. The bottle is very elegant and looks great on the shelf.

Halston 1-12 $15
Dandy-ish, classic smelling in the Grey Flannel vein, but with a bit of spice or bite in there.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
Recently found a cheapie at the back of my collection and couldn't believe I had forgotten about it. Nautica Voyage. I really like it, can't believe it was so cheap. They say new version (plastic cap as opposed to metal cap) doesn't last as long, but new version lasts 70% of what the metal cap one does, it's still A LOT.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Most classics just aren't that great anymore in current formulation. Especially the cheapies since there's no real incentive to put much effort in reformulations.

Cartier Pasha EDT is a great suggestion. Never smelled vintage but I heard it benefits from less oak moss because it smells less dated.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
So, based on your helpful suggestions and the prices on Amazon, I've managed to narrow it down to, well, a larger list than I had before:

Cerruti 1881
Drakkar Noir
Zino
Paco Rabanne PH
Lapidus PH
Bogart signature
Bogart OMS
Halston z-14
Quorum
Devin

Now just need to actually narrow it down :LOL:. Of these, what's the consensus on what is redundant, and what is best value? I know a lot of them are going to be similar in style, most being '70s or '80s fougeres or chypres. The only one of the preceding fragrances I've smelled and know I enjoy is Drakkar Noir, and I know I like Aramis original and Havana, so Devin is probably also a safe bet.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
So, based on your helpful suggestions and the prices on Amazon, I've managed to narrow it down to, well, a larger list than I had before:

Cerruti 1881
Drakkar Noir
Zino
Paco Rabanne PH
Lapidus PH
Bogart signature
Bogart OMS
Halston z-14
Quorum
Devin

Now just need to actually narrow it down :LOL:. Of these, what's the consensus on what is redundant, and what is best value? I know a lot of them are going to be similar in style, most being '70s or '80s fougeres or chypres. The only one of the preceding fragrances I've smelled and know I enjoy is Drakkar Noir, and I know I like Aramis original and Havana, so Devin is probably also a safe bet.
You can probably decide on one out of these three: Bogart OMS, Bogart Signature and Quorum.

Now MAYBE I’m going too far grouping Quorum with these, but certainly(for the sake of getting a variety) you can choose between OMS and Signature.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
Cerruti 1881
Drakkar Noir
Zino
Paco Rabanne PH
Lapidus PH
Bogart signature
Bogart OMS
Halston z-14
Quorum
Devin
Of these, I think the current versions of Paco Rabanne PH
Lapidus PH
Bogart Signature

are definitely worth having.

I don't think the current Devin and OMS are great though.

I'd also consider Paul Sebastian PS Fine Cologne, Giorgio for Men, Roger & Gallet Open and Open Black.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
So far I've purchased Zino Davidoff and Quorum. The first came in today. First impression is good. There's a nice citrus opening, and some lavender, but I mostly get a rich woody-patchouli pairing with a bit of funk that gives it that classic feel. I don't know if that's from the patchouli, from the use of labdanum in the amber accord, an indolic note from the bit of jasmine, or what, but it has a small amount of that "funk" vibe. There's also something leathery or tobacco-y about it. I like it, and I have a big bottle, so I'm sure it will get plenty of wears.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
Quorum came in today. My first impression is mixed. When I smell it up close, there are a lot of piney and green soapy notes I quite like. This aspect kind of reminds me of Aramis Havana, a fragrance I enjoy. However, there is some note or accord in there that is more ephemeral in the sillage, that I can't identify, and which I do not enjoy. It's some sort of obnoxious, somewhat sweet floral (maybe) accord. I wish I could identify it positively. Whatever this note/accord is, it's also in Floris Elite (though I believe no florals are listed for that one), and I remember it being in some fragrance my grandfather used to wear (maybe original Old Spice?) as well, which I also didn't like at the time. I used to tell him to go wash it off when I was a kid 😂. So, in this respect at least, my taste has been consistent. Whatever this note is, it's in multiple old school scents. This is a personal association of course, but the image this note brings to my mind is old men in my grandparents' church, wearing slicked back hair-toniced coiffures they've sported since they were young men in the 50s and 60s. Not my style at all.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Sorry to swerve the thread, any UK peeps fancy a "cheapie samples pass/send around" ! Often find I'm perhaps wasting cash getting FB's of cheapies (even if just for reference) that gather dust?!

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
These first buys are indeed great, highly rewarding on any budget (even more so given their inexpensive price, while also consistent quality), recommending (again) recommending especially Azzaro Visits, Lalique PH EDT/EDP, Halston Z-14, Cerruti 1881, as well as further adding Cerruti Image, Best Of Chevignon, Davidoff Champion, Sir Irisch Moos, Assenzio EDP by l'Erbolario.

without being/remaining nor becoming redundant in any ways.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
So, for an update, on a recent trip to Vegas I smelled Bijan for men in their boutique and discovered it could be had for less than $20 at discounters (they were selling it for $360 at the boutique lol). I really liked it at first sniff, so I ordered it. Just received it today, and I'm in love with this scent. Definitely the best value purchase I've made in a while. It's smoky, herbal, mossy, a bit leathery, and just all around nice. Closest other fragrance to this that I own is Aramis Havana, but this one is a bit "fatter", as it were, and less of a fir-juniper top note, though that evergreen note is in there also. Good stuff.

sniffer64

Basenotes Member
Feb 3, 2011
So, for an update, on a recent trip to Vegas I smelled Bijan for men in their boutique and discovered it could be had for less than $20 at discounters (they were selling it for $360 at the boutique lol). I really liked it at first sniff, so I ordered it. Just received it today, and I'm in love with this scent. Definitely the best value purchase I've made in a while. It's smoky, herbal, mossy, a bit leathery, and just all around nice. Closest other fragrance to this that I own is Aramis Havana, but this one is a bit "fatter", as it were, and less of a fir-juniper top note, though that evergreen note is in there also. Good stuff.
If you still have any money left, none of the ones you just bought are barbershop types. Paco Rabanne or Azzaro Pour Homme are different takes on barbershop, but both excellent fragrances with great sillage. Azzaro is warmer, more ambery shaving cream like. Paco is spicier, more like the neck powder at the barbershop, but also greener. Both amazing. Between the Bogart One Man Show and Signature, I greatly prefer OMS (I'll swap my almost-full bottle of Signature for one of the one you don't like). If you like things a bit more leathery, OMS has an "Oud" version, which is excellent at the same price point. I used to love Halston in the 80's, but it smells really dated to me now.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
If you still have any money left, none of the ones you just bought are barbershop types. Paco Rabanne or Azzaro Pour Homme are different takes on barbershop, but both excellent fragrances with great sillage. Azzaro is warmer, more ambery shaving cream like. Paco is spicier, more like the neck powder at the barbershop, but also greener. Both amazing. Between the Bogart One Man Show and Signature, I greatly prefer OMS (I'll swap my almost-full bottle of Signature for one of the one you don't like). If you like things a bit more leathery, OMS has an "Oud" version, which is excellent at the same price point. I used to love Halston in the 80's, but it smells really dated to me now.
Azzaro Pour Homme really is fantastic. It took me a few wears to get used to the sharp anise in the opening, but this is such a wonderful aromatic fougere everyone should try. Seek out the modern “rechargeable” or refillable bottles from discounters, as those seem to be the best current formulation. Usually around $30 for 100ml.

Latest News