Chanel Sycomore: Lots of Negative and Unusual Complements

bc78

Feb 16, 2014
I'm surprised by this, I always considered it a very "safe" scent. An excellent, well-made one, but unlikely to get a negative comment

cytherian

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 24, 2013
I sampled Sycomore in a Chanel boutique. It smelled fine to me, but not exceptional. And it also felt a little familiar. When I got home I sprayed on some Encre Noir. Not a dead ringer, but similar enough... never gave Sycomore another thought. OTOH, Coromandel is wonderful. To me it reflects a Guerlain Heritage vibe, but is a more refined and richer fragrance. I am still nursing my 5ml decant of it. :)

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
Vetiver - tobacco combos do make me nauseous (Guerlain, Lubin), but Sycomore always comes across as ultra-sophisticated, with a filigreed smokiness not at all abrasive or funky-weedy. Your colleagues are evidently smoking low-grade pot streched with vetiver root.

cytherian

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 24, 2013
Hahaha. I never read Fahrenheit 451 :sad: I will watch the movie though.
av_SAFEGE_monorail2.gif

The movie is a true classic, and very dated. And it's kind of eerie on the premise. It was filmed in 1966, just 21 years after WWII ended. There was a lot of book burning that took place in Germany during the 1930's. Low and behold, a number of actors who played firemen in the film were German, whose roles were in the business of finding and burning books, as well as incarcerating book lovers. Does Dior Fahrenheit smell like the burning kerosene used to ignite books? ;)

I got negative comments with Encre Noire too, which smells similar. Now I call it the chastity belt lock.
Sycomore is a higher quality product, smelling more refined and having a soft edge. It's targeted to women but is definitely on the masculine side of unisex. Encre Noire is more of a "man's fragrance" I'd say... but if a woman isn't into vetiver, she's probably going to be turned off.

Last edited:

BoyChanel

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 18, 2014
I wore Sycomore Saturday night and received two high praises from friends. I wear Bois Des Iles & Cuir De Russie parfums as well as the edts. Bois des Iles parfum is an incredibly rich ethereal scent and has a certain unmistakable creamy quality about it that I've never experienced in any other fragrance before. It lasts all day and has low to medium projection which garners several compliments throughout the day. THE EDT is much lighter but delivers a stunning scent that's close to the skin and lasts about 4 hours on me. CdR, however, both the parfum & EDT, evaporates on me after an hour or two.

Coromandel has become my new signature scent since June and i receive endless compliments whenever i wear it (friends, coworkers, family, clients, random people in public, etc). People are rather blown away by the scent.

As for the last bit, here in NYC, Chanel boutiques, Bergdorf Goodman, & Saks have been extremely generous to me in regards to the gorgeous mini bottles in the boxes as well as vial samples. It certainly helps to have several friends that work for Chanel (& Dior) in regards to the minis. They're supposed to give them out with a purchase, yes. To be honest, people find me to be extremely charismatic & love to give me free shit. I'm trying to collect all Les Exclusifs & La Collection Privée minis (i have 18, half are doubles or even triples, of Chanel's & i only need two more of Dior's to complete my collection of theirs). Sorry to go on that random tangent lol

Last edited:
Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News