Chanel Sycomore IN PARFUM!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
The local Chanel rep just called to say that on Septenber 1st Sycomore is coming out as parfum. It will be in a special presentation bottle. Hopefully it will also be available in regular packaging too but she didn’t say. I expect to check it out in the coming days.

Found an article in French Vogue:

A6ADFEF1-7B28-4605-9ED3-19966FDC9C74.jpeg

This is the Google translation:

“Chanel perfume: the house is launching an exceptional version of a scent imagined by Gabrielle Chanel in 1930!
Focus on Sycamore Extract, a Chanel perfume enhanced by the Maisons d'Art.

From the perfume extract filled with the finest raw materials, to the box made in an ultra-limited edition, this new interpretation of Sycamore is at the height of luxury.

MELANIE NAUCHE
JULY 21, 2022

Focus on Sycamore Extract, a Chanel perfume enhanced by the Maisons d'Art.

In the Chanel Exclusifs family, the Sycamore perfume (named after the tree) embodies the noble beauty of autumn, and the house's roots with a double C. Created in 1930 by Gabrielle Chanel, this deep scent resonated echoing the volcanic forces of the lands of Auvergne, where Coco spent her childhood... Today, Olivier Polge, perfumer-creator of the House of Chanel, imagines the Extrait version, even more precious than the original.

As if the perfumer had pushed all the intensity sliders of the initial formula, the vetiver, even more nervous, is exalted, enhanced with leathery and vanilla inflections. Vanilla found as another main ingredient, ultra-enveloping, around which swirl dry notes of iris and cedar, which bring an unparalleled chic to the whole. A full, captivating trail, in the purest spirit of Chanel, which condenses the most prestigious raw materials in perfumery.

To protect and sublimate this Chanel perfume, it needed a case to match. This is why the house has called on the best craftsmen to imagine a collector's box. The care of the bottle has been entrusted to Baccarat, which signs an extremely pure crystal glass, sealed with a balloon sealed with the double C. Maison Lesage, a long-time accomplice of Chanel, has for its part embroidered the box with motifs evoking the raw materials contained in the Extract. A pure marvel, produced in 20 numbered pieces, available from September 1st.”

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Do I understand the press release correctly that they only produced 20 bottles? Which means $$$$$$.
If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, they're going to release 20 baccarat bottles in this special edition, and then the normal extrait will hit the market later. Similar to the rollout Dior just had with their original three fragrances. It just seems odd to me to develop Sycomore in extrait concentration, and then only sell 20 of them. They already have all the manufacturing set up to make a regular 15ml extrait version, they'd just need to change the label.

Exciting but the presentation and phrase "super limited edition" has me scared to know the price.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was $1,500+.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I would say much more than that. Rouge 540 pure parfum in the 100ml Baccarat bottles by Baccarat were $4000 each and there were 100 produced.
Yikes. I know Chanel can basically ask whatever they want, especially with such a small production number -- collectors such as yourself will buy them up no matter the cost and that's fair. Supply and demand at the end of the day. I just do hope they release a widespread normal version, as I know many many basenoters would enjoy Sycomore in parfum.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Take for example the Gardenia Parfum in special presentation, a mere $10,000.
Gardenia

I have a feeling this will be something like that. But I really hope @GoldWineMemories is correct and they release a normal version later. It seems like they restocked a lot of parfum lately which is good news!

Now that I look at the Gardenia presentation and the new Sycomore prevention in the ad, I’m leaning towards this limited release being $10,000 as well. My bottle is a 0.5oz in the standard bottle vs these big baccarat 1.7oz bottles. Gives me hope they’ll have a widespread release, but we’ll see.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
As if the perfumer had pushed all the intensity sliders of the initial formula, the vetiver, even more nervous, is exalted, enhanced with leathery and vanilla inflections. Vanilla found as another main ingredient, ultra-enveloping, around which swirl dry notes of iris and cedar, which bring an unparalleled chic to the whole. A full, captivating trail, in the purest spirit of Chanel, which condenses the most prestigious raw materials in perfumery.

I just can't stop thinking about what an "even more nervous" vetiver would smell like. :ROFLMAO:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Take for example the Gardenia Parfum in special presentation, a mere $10,000.
Gardenia

I have a feeling this will be something like that. But I really hope @GoldWineMemories is correct and they release a normal version later. It seems like they restocked a lot of parfum lately which is good news!
It would make sense to offer this in a normal version, there would be a lot of enthusiasts who open to owning a bottle.

I'd be interested to know if it would smell closer to the EDT or the EDP or different.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Oh dear this is going to be hilariously priced, as Chanel is wont to do. Fingers crossed for a regular release and a return of the smoke! I don't dislike the EdP version, but it is a different animal from the perfection that is the EdT. I treasure my little bottle of that so much I hardly wear it.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Let's see then if it eventually joins the range of regular extraits. However, I am afraid that the extrait will go more in the direction of vanilla-sweet woods, ie be the farthest away from the smoky edt.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Let's see then if it eventually joins the range of regular extraits. However, I am afraid that the extrait will go more in the direction of vanilla-sweet woods, ie be the farthest away from the smoky edt.
I’n not worried as such, waiting with open mind, but when I saw “vanilla” I did start wondering, now where does that fit in? 😊
Hopefully it makes minimal impact, the word vanilla doesn't mix with Sycomore. Maybe the vanilla present is not the traditional kind that we'd expect, sweet and powdery. Recall Mona di Orio Vanille's take on vanilla.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
I would say much more than that. Rouge 540 pure parfum in the 100ml Baccarat bottles by Baccarat were $4000 each and there were 100 produced. With only 20 being produced, it's got to be more than $1500. If not, an incredible bargain.
Definitions for what constitutes an "incredible bargain" vary greatly by zip codeo_O

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I really hope this is terrible is i only just bought the EDP this year and have hardly had a chance to use it :cry:

Emtee, I too was hoping it would be terrible, or at least redundant but, alas, it’s not—not to me at least.

Got to test it today and am wearing it now. Those who were hoping it would be smokier might be disappointed. To me it has become smoother, more integrated and gossamer. At the same time it has presence and on a warm and humid day is lasting well. If the edt or edp are the”body” of Sycomore, the parfum is its spirit, like a diaphanous aura of itself.

These are my first impressions. I haven’t tried picking out notes, just been breathing in impressions, and I reserve the option of adding to or changing them with experience.

I will be getting it on September 1st, at the official launch event and I’m really looking forward to hearing the impressions of other basenoters as it becomes available.

Latest posts

Latest News