Chanel Les Exclusifs - To buy now or wait for the change to edp?

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Today I got the urge to wear 31 rue Cambon. The bottle will soon be getting low and as it is part of my "permanent collection" the question is to buy now or wait for the edp? The edp could be better or could be worse. Bound to be more expensive. By waiting, one could end up being sorry one did not get the edt when it was available. On the other hand, if one buys the edt now and ends up liking the edp better, no funds left, perhaps, and you're stuck with the version you don't prefer. I am tending toward waiting for the new version. If I like it I buy, if not goodbye 31 RC.

What will be your strategy for securing current or future versions of Les Exclusifs?

Last edited:

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
What do you think is the best strategy for securing current or future versions of Les Exclusifs?
Just my personal opinion - if you really like what you have now and there's the lingering uncertainty as to whether the future replacement will be to your liking, I'd get another bottle of what's out there now.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
That's the question! I go 'round and 'round about it, myself. It's pretty much a roll of the dice. I have tentatively decided to hold off on buying until the EDP comes out, but only because the Exclusifs don't last very long on my skin and there's a chance the EDP really will be a different concentration, and not just a relabeling projecr on Chanel's part. But t do wonder if I'm making a mistake.

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
Just my personal opinion - if you really like what you have now and there's the lingering uncertainty as to whether the future replacement will be to your liking, I'd get another bottle of what's out there now.

+1 I agree. Even if you later decide you love the EdP even more, you can always sell the EdT if you wish, or you could put it up for swap or sell decants of it.

Akahina

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 9, 2011
If you like it now, buy it now. The reformulation will be different, and it seems that most of the time reformulations, even if at a stronger concentration, are not often an improvement. If you like the new version when it comes out you can always sell the "vintage" juice.

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
That's the question! I go 'round and 'round about it, myself. It's pretty much a roll of the dice. I have tentatively decided to hold off on buying until the EDP comes out, but only because the Exclusifs don't last very long on my skin and there's a chance the EDP really will be a different concentration, and not just a relabeling projecr on Chanel's part. But t do wonder if I'm making a mistake.

I was of the same mind. However, since some of my fragrance lover friends told me that Coromandel's longevity was pretty decent, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase it. With ever more IFRA and EU note restrictions, you cannot be sure how much more synthetic the new EdPs will be.

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
If you like it now, buy it now. The reformulation will be different, and it seems that most of the time reformulations, even if at a stronger concentration, are not often an improvement. If you like the new version when it comes out you can always sell the "vintage" juice.

Agreed, and since no one is "locked in" the EdT after purchase, i.e. there is a strong secondary market for Chanels, I think the risk is minimal. The only thing that has kept me from ordering 31 RC thus far is I am afraid longevity will be poor as will my Bois des Iles. I tolerate the poor longevity with my Bois des Iles because I love it so much. Not sure I would feel the same for 31 RC, though.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I was of the same mind. However, since some of my fragrance lover friends told me that Coromandel's longevity was pretty decent, I decided to take a leap of faith and get it. With ever more IFRA and EU note restrictions, you cannot be sure how much more synthetic the new EdPs will be.
What you say makes sense, Oriane. Even if a reformulation has greater longevity, there won't be any joy in a long-lasting synthetic mess. So...off the fence here! :)

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
Today I got the urge to wear 31 rue Cambon. The bottle will soon be getting low and as it is part of my "permanent collection" the question is to buy now or wait for the edp? The edp could be better or could be worse. Bound to be more expensive. By waiting, one could end up being sorry one did not get the edt when it was available. On the other hand, if one buys the edt now and ends up liking the edp better, no funds left, perhaps, and you're stuck with the version you don't prefer. I am tending toward waiting for the new version. If I like it I buy, if not goodbye 31 RC.

What will be your strategy for securing current or future versions of Les Exclusifs?

EDIT:

Although I think it doesn't really matter when you buy it, you can perhaps just buy now for peace of mind.

I think it's the same whether you buy now or later, since the current one doesn't last, an

Last edited:

gandhajala

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 3, 2010

Totally agree.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Buy now, then test the new one once it's available. I'm planning to get all the EDTs I want while they're available. I already got 31 Rue this year, and to respond to comments on longevity, I find it's excellent. 5 hours plus in cold weather. I also picked up Beige recently, and I'm considering Sycomore, Coromandel, and Cuir de Russie. I say get 'em while you can.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Buy now, then test the new one once it's available. I'm planning to get all the EDTs I want while they're available. I already got 31 Rue this year, and to respond to comments on longevity, I find it's excellent. 5 hours plus in cold weather. I also picked up Beige recently, and I'm considering Sycomore, Coromandel, and Cuir de Russie. I say get 'em while you can.

I would also suggest taking a look at Bois Des Iles and Eau de Cologne as well.

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
I would like to add that whilst I do not expect Chanel to market anything that smells really awful, I can envision the new EdPs smelling more synthetic than the EdTs, so if the EdTs turn out to be noticeably better to discerning noses, then you know what will happen to the prices on them on eBay, etsy, etc. I do not expect the new EdPs to be "awful." I do expect them to cost a chunk more money, but so will the "vintage" EdTs if they turn out to be the better formulation. If anyone doubts that the new EdPs would not be worse, just remember what happened to Coco in recent years. :cry:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm curious on whether Chanel will continue selling the EDT concentrations alongside the new EDPs once released until stock runs out or they immediately pull the EDT bottles off of shelves and ship them back (to France?).

Roky

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 1, 2015

+1

Recent Jicky EdP is a joke comparing to the vintage EdT I owned.

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
I'm curious on whether Chanel will continue selling the EDT concentrations alongside the new EDPs once released until stock runs out or they immediately pull the EDT bottles off of shelves and ship them back (to France?).

I do not know, but my guess is that they will sell them to ebay sellers such as passion4perfume who will then sell them after market on ebay. Where else would sellers like that get the supplies of authentic Chanel that they sell?

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
This is the strategy I take. Although Chanel says they are going to roll out slowly, they can change mind quickly. Withdraw stock of EDT to maximize profits. They are very conservative in regards to their image and ruthless to defend it.
I say collect your faves quickly.
I am half way through an 200 ml of Coromandel and will be replacing very soon. I've a backup 75ml of CDR EDT and 75 ml Sycomore EDT.

I am hoping the Eau de Parfums are something more than flankers ala Terre d'Hermes.

Midnight Mogwai

Jun 19, 2016
I do not know, but my guess is that they will sell them to ebay sellers such as passion4perfume who will then sell them after market on ebay. Where else would sellers like that get the supplies of authentic Chanel that they sell?

This will absolutely not happen due to Chanel's distribution strategy.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Great comments! Trying to second-guess how Chanel will handle this change is not easy. I too am wondering about the timeline and whether there will be overlap on the market of edt and edp.

Tmoran

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2014
I personally don't think the fragrances are going to change at all. Chanel has changed the name of the concentration in the past without actually changing the scent. Other houses do it too. And if a change does occur it may not actually be a higher concentration but a lower one. WIth no laws or standards on what can be called an EDT or edp and the fact many get the performance characteristics of both confused there is no way to tell how or even if the scent will change if at all. My advice would be to buy what you like now. Because even if you buy now and find later you like the change and wish you would have waited there will always be that "niche" of people who will prefer the original due to various reasons and you can sell them and, will probably come out unscathed. But I would not hold out in hopes of what might not be.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I would also suggest taking a look at Bois Des Iles and Eau de Cologne as well.

I do have a sample of Eau de Cologne and love it. I just don't get much longevity with it, so I'm happy to wear Escale a Portofino at a much cheaper pricepoint!

Bois Des Iles is one I have to give another sniff. I was already thinking that. Thanks for the suggestions.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I don't currently own any Chanel perfumes but if I did, I'd wait for the new EDP. If it's not great then Chanel doesn't deserve my money anyway. There's plenty of other perfumes out there to buy!

hitman

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 28, 2015
I would suggest to pick it now if you like the current one out there.

When the new will release; test it....
---- If new is same as current, YOU ARE GOOD (as you already have it)
---- If new is boring than current, YOU ARE GOOD (as you already have the one you like)
---- If new is better than current, YOU ARE GOOD (because you already a one you like + you will have enough time to buy a new better one)

:coolold:

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
I love 31 Rue Cambon and it lasts very very very well on me, in fact all the exclusifs do.

For 31 I go by Christopher Sheldrake the perfumer, he said in an interview on Basenotes, 31 work not work in anything but edt. He had been asked to turn it into a parfum by quite a few. I will go the same rule applies to increasing to a edp. Since he has gone from Chanel now and its the Polge's in charge, no idea what will happen good or bad with 31? But I personally would stick with the current or older if you can get it edt.

Some will work as said Bois des Iles, and No22 should as well.

therese19

Nov 9, 2009
I say buy what you like today and enjoy. When the time comes for a new bottle, you may have moved on to something new.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I don't currently own any Chanel perfumes but if I did, I'd wait for the new EDP. If it's not great then Chanelf doesn't deserve my money anyway. There's plenty of other perfumes out there to buy!

I tend to do the same thing. If a company discontinues a perfume I like or reformulates it out of recognition I move on. For one thing I go through perfumes I like pretty fast and require a supply readily available to buy any time I need it.

Speaking of No 22, it's already so strong I can't imagine what an edp would be like. The parfum is also very strong. As with donna255, the longevity on all the Exclusifs I have worn is good. If the edp is stronger, with fewer spritzes the change pricewise, although more expensive initially, could be minimal over time.

Last edited:

hedonist222

Basenotes Institution
Sep 13, 2010
I'd buy now.
Try edp when launched.
If resoundingly better, sell edt & buy edp.
They loss between prices would be worth the risk.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...