Chanel Exclusifs in EDP from 2017; no more EDT production after Sep 2016

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
Heard this from the Chanel rep @ either Saks or Holt Renfrew couple of days back, so passing it along. This is not confirmed through Chanel, so don't take any of the below for granted :)

EDT version of the exclusif's to be discontinued from Sept this year. EDP versions of the same to be introduced from 2017 (launch date / month not available).

Bottle sizes remain the same @ 75 & 200ml.

Price? You guessed it - going up. In Canada the 200ml in would be EDP format is expected @ $380.

As for the jus - will there be any changes - SA wasn't aware of any possible changes...

I just need u all to answer me one question though which I forgot to ask the SA & me hasn't slept one wink since then - how will they call this next year - Chanel Exclusif Eau de Cologne - will it be called as Chanel Exclusifs Eau de Cologne Eau de Parfum???

dbc97d3b537a3b38f323b2cd9e97228de9342018e72bb18e3b36ec235a8783f5.jpg

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for this future info. :thumbsup: If it pans out, my future Exclusif EDP purchases will simply have to mingle alongside the EDTs of every other one as I have no plan to replace every 200ml EDT bottle.

Last edited:

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Though not confirmed by Chanel, it wouldn't surprise me. And it makes me feel sick, as EDP is what I've always wanted in the line...but no way could I replace my EDTs at that price point.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Given some of the names chanel has used, I wouldn't be surprised of an eau de cologne eau de parfum...

cacio

Oriane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2015
I just purchased Bois des Iles EdT, but if it had been available in EdP, I would have opted for the EdP in a heartbeat. I am glad I have not invested in other Les Exclusifs in the EdT formulation now. Sometimes what Chanel decides to do shows little rhyme nor reason unfortunately. I expect they would simply use the "Eau de Parfum" descriptor.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Let's hope the leave the juices alone.
I hope so, too, but if history's any indicator, there will likely be reformulations over and above what's required to morph the EDT into EDC or EDP. Would love to be wrong about that.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Do you think it's simply a formulation name change? Or actual composition changes, as in.. making them 'stronger'?

I don't own any of that line atm, so this might end up being a good opportunity for me, :).

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
Best, most optimistic, case scenario: They actually strengthen the current formulae into EDPs, and the resultant price increase feels worth it.
Middle, more cynical, scenario: Labels change, prices go up, formulae remain unchanged.
Worst case scenario: Prices go up, perfumes get reformulated and cheapened.

Hmmm. This is Chanel, though, so I'm going to hurry and buy my Exclusifs now.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Best, most optimistic, case scenario: They actually strengthen the current formulae into EDPs, and the resultant price increase feels worth it.
Middle, more cynical, scenario: Labels change, prices go up, formulae remain unchanged.
Very well said. And there could be even more restrictions in place by a 2017 rollout, so a stronger version might not necessarily be better.

Jul 7, 2012
I wonder what this would do to Coromandel, which is already a beast. In theory, it could calm down the projection, and for me that would be a good thing. But it could also make the scent heavier, and that might not be a good thing.

I realize most people think EDP is better than EDT, but that's not how it works. Sometimes, a heavier concentration is better. Sometimes, a lighter concentration is better.

It'll be interesting to see how these scents change when the concentration changes.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2009
Boy Chanel is next on my list. I already have good supplies of Coromandel and Sycomore. No other Chanels on my wish list at present.

Ho hum, EdP. They renamed Pour Monsieur Concentree recently as an EdP and brazenly stated it's the same juice as the EdT version. Could be the same stunt.

Last edited:

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I wonder what this would do to Coromandel, which is already a beast. In theory, it could calm down the projection, and for me that would be a good thing. But it could also make the scent heavier, and that might not be a good thing.

I realize most people think EDP is better than EDT, but that's not how it works. Sometimes, a heavier concentration is better. Sometimes, a lighter concentration is better.

It'll be interesting to see how these scents change when the concentration changes.

This is my view.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the heads up OP.

I wonder if Basenoters from around the world can ask their local SAs at Chanel boutiques if they are aware of this? That way we can crowd-source the information and confirm it that way.

Agree, we are probably looking at reformulations. Price wise, this is not welcome news either.

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the heads up OP.

I wonder if Basenoters from around the world can ask their local SAs at Chanel boutiques if they are aware of this? That way we can crowd-source the information and confirm it that way.

Agree, we are probably looking at reformulations. Price wise, this is not welcome news either.

The Chanel boutique was right across, but I ran out of time & had to leave...Will await Gandhajala & others feedback...The SA I spoke to & who gave this info was quite legit & he knew about Chanel & the perfumes a lot more than the Chanel SA I spoke to on my visit last month :)

gandhajala

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 3, 2010
Make of Chanel's response what you will:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in CHANEL.

As we are sure you will appreciate, strategic information is confidential and we hope you can understand that we are not able to assist with your enquiry.

In order to receive regular information about our company, we invite you to visit www.chanel.com and subscribe to our Newsletter.

We look forward to seeing you on www.chanel.com and on

Kind regards,

For Chanel Limited
Pierre Berthou
La Ligne de CHANEL
www.chanel.com

I think I still have a private contact in Paris whom I'll email later.
Time to back-up some more, methinks....

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the updates all. Please keep them coming as and when you find out more as I'm sure there are plenty of us waiting to hear full details.

BoyChanel

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 18, 2014
I'm not concerned since all of my 4 200ml Exclusifs bottles are still well above the 90% fill line and they'll last for eons. In fact, 31 Rue Cambon, the one I clearly use the most, is about 90% filled and I've been using it since Dec 2014.

I also don't have any current desire in buying another exclusif although that may certainly change.

Furthermore, the Exclusifs already perform beautifully on my skin with absolutely no longevity issues whatsoever so I don't intend to replace any in my collection.

Last edited:

Suspended

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 28, 2012
That email sounds like a "Yes" to me.

I agree, or he'd just have said the info was incorrect.

His use of the word "strategic" is great. I read from it 'Our strategic move to remove more cash from our customers pockets is a secret for now.'

gandhajala

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 3, 2010
Not that there was really any doubt remaining, but the forthcoming EdP concentrations were confirmed to me today by someone at Chanel.
I'm open to the idea that the new iterations will still smell good, but I'm nonetheless jittery.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I would expect the price then to rise accordingly soon on the others in the States from $280 to $325 for 200ml

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
There's a distinct possibility that the EDP versions of this line will outperform and smell even better than the current EDTs - which makes me feel a litle sick, considering my investment in the latter. I doubt I could justify replacing any of my existing bottles, but as a Chanel lover, the question will no doubt nag at me.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I doubt I could justify replacing any of my existing bottles,
Agree. For me, Boy will remain the lone "oddball" alongside all the 15 others until it has company from the next Chanel Exclusif release. :smiley:

Last edited:

Tmoran

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2014
so what we are really talking about is they are simply going to change the words on the packaging. Awesome.

Chanel has done this with other fragrances. They know that EDP concentration went from being a taboo thing with men to now being desirable and I think they are simply streamlining their terminology and will use it as an excuse to increase pricing. Do I think for one second that the actual concentrations of oils to alcohol will change even in the slightest? Nope. Such is the beauty of labels with no standards. And chanel has never to my knowledge even listed the alcohol percentage of its fragrances. I would really love to see an ingredients list for the edt and edp versions. But even then they can make changes without really making any changes. Sorry to be skeptical but they have done it before and I see no reason why they wouldn't do it again if they felt it meant bigger profits.

Last edited:

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I just purchased Bois des Iles EdT, but if it had been available in EdP, I would have opted for the EdP in a heartbeat. I am glad I have not invested in other Les Exclusifs in the EdT formulation now. Sometimes what Chanel decides to do shows little rhyme nor reason unfortunately. I expect they would simply use the "Eau de Parfum" descriptor.

This is my dilema too...
I am finally decided on getting a Bois des Iles full bottle. The thing is do I get an (obviously weak) EdT bottle now or wait and see what the EdP version of this will be like at a greater cost. IMHO I always thought this scent was a little weak so it could do with an upping in strength. But the risk is always a total reformulation... God forbid!

Let's hope the leave the juices alone.

:sad:

Hmmm. This is Chanel, though, so I'm going to hurry and buy my Exclusifs now.

Very well phrased. So you think Chanel reformulate for the worse?

Not that there was really any doubt remaining, but the forthcoming EdP concentrations were confirmed to me today by someone at Chanel.
I'm open to the idea that the new iterations will still smell good, but I'm nonetheless jittery.

Just seen this post too - thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure whether to be dancing of joy or sobbing to be honest.

gandhajala

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 3, 2010
I was told by a S.A. there wont be an overnight swap of the old, Eaux de Toilette and the new Eaux de Parfum; the new stock will simply replenish the old as and when the latter is sold out. If true, expect the likes of Coromandel to be replaced first.

As an aside, I smelt a brand new (EdT) bottle of Cuir de Russie the other week and it was notably different to my bottle from 5 or 6 years ago: definitely drier, more birchtar, less immediately floral. A taste of things to come, perhaps?

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
I have a feeling they're just changing the name to EDP because it sounds better. I can't imagine a complete overhaul where every scent in the collection is strengthened. But who knows!

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Many agree that, in general, EDP lasts longer on skin but is softer than an EDT (which supposedly should have better projection). While the majority of current EDT's from the line are quite soft, how will this be impacted in the EDP form?

I agree, it will be interesting to see how this pans out...

I was told by a S.A. there wont be an overnight swap of the old, Eaux de Toilette and the new Eaux de Parfum; the new stock will simply replenish the old as and when the latter is sold out. If true, expect the likes of Coromandel to be replaced first.

As an aside, I smelt a brand new (EdT) bottle of Cuir de Russie the other week and it was notably different to my bottle from 5 or 6 years ago: definitely drier, more birchtar, less immediately floral. A taste of things to come, perhaps?

Oh dear. Here we go again... Please Chanel; don't do it!!! :angry:

Max Magnus

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 9, 2016
Can confirm the same story as told by S.A. in Holt Renfrew's Chanel store. She was saying it like it was a bad thing, but I doubt there will be messing with the jus, other than using different concentration.

Les Exclusives already use very high quality ingredients and are well done, so if done this way, I think nothing will change much, except less sprays will be advisable on application (will be difficult with Coromandel, I admit)

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...