Chanel Antaeus then vs now.

manicboy

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2005
Just picked up a new bottle of Antaeus. It's pretty solid and still better than most men's frags. I already have a few vintages which are spectacular. I find the development of Antaeus similar to what Givenchy did with Gentleman. Oak Moss and Civet were stripped out with the leather dialed down and the patchouli/cedar pumped up. Both aren't what they used to be but they're still very good and wearable.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
The modern Antaeus does hold up better compared to other modern formulations of classic scents. I felt it does maintain the DNA of the original but the magic glow isn't quite there. The oakmoss and the animalic notes do add a significant amount of depth in the original. The modern is a lot more versatile, easier to pull off.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Just picked up a new bottle of Antaeus. It's pretty solid and still better than most men's frags. I already have a few vintages which are spectacular. I find the development of Antaeus similar to what Givenchy did with Gentleman. Oak Moss and Civet were stripped out with the leather dialed down and the patchouli/cedar pumped up. Both aren't what they used to be but they're still very good and wearable.
Yesterday, I put on some of the new Givenchy Gentleman in the Lyon airport. And then I put on some new Antaeus in the Paris airport (Charles de Gaulle).

The beauty of vintage Givenchy Gentleman is that after you get past the opening, the goodness comes in waves for over 10 hours. This new version is just as wonky in the opening, or even more so, then it softens, and then it was gone in about three hours.

The new Antaeus smells nice to me in the opening. My wife loves vintage Antaeus, but not this new version. I think it has some magic in the opening, and I think it's different than it was a couple years ago. I think there's some Bleu de Chanel influence in the current version. It gets further and further away from the old Anteaus, and I still like it. I liked it more than the bottle I tried a couple years ago.

Fjolltzu

Basenotes Member
Apr 12, 2019
Excellent reply. Thank you.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
So I'm a big Kouros fan and I've experienced how different just 16 years back Kouros smells. HOWEVER there doesn't seem to be much comparison info online as there seems to be for Kouros.

Like i know clearly that KOUROS was both fresher but also more animalic and sweet until the 2010s. How's the progression of Antaeus through the years? Any of you guys have any insight? Should i just grab a bottle straight from Chanel for Christmas? Btw you guys Lapidus pour homme recommendations turned out great.
I wore gallons of Antaeus back in the 1980s. A year or two ago I sniffed Chanel Coco Noir edp and I thought "Hello old friend! It's been a long time." To my nose it smelled EXACTLY like old school Antaeus.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Positive. It doesn't have the longetivity our old boy Antaeus had, but the smell is the same. Coco Noir comes in a black bottle that looks like the Chanel No.5 bottle. Give it a sniff, I was pleasantly shocked.

Intrigued by the comments relating Coco Noir to Antaeus, I tested CN edp today. While to my nose it’s not a dead ringer the two are very similar. I get the connection and I think a guy could also wear CN as a lighter version of Antaeus.

If Coco Noir were called Antaeus for Her it would not be e a misnomer. In fact the SA took out the Chanel reference book and Coco Noir and Antaeus are right next to each other in the oriental column as a soft orientalI and a rich oriental.

I am definitely considering getting Coco Noir edp as an easier to wear replacement for Antaeus. Side note is that the edt of Coco Noir I smelled did not have the same vibe as the edp but I did not test it on skin.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
Intrigued by the comments relating Coco Noir to Antaeus, I tested CN edp today. While to my nose it’s not a dead ringer the two are very similar. I get the connection and I think a guy could also wear CN as a lighter version of Antaeus.

If Coco Noir were called Antaeus for Her it would not be e a misnomer. In fact the SA took out the Chanel reference book and Coco Noir and Antaeus are right next to each other in the oriental column as a soft orientalI and a rich oriental.

I am definitely considering getting Coco Noir edp as an easier to wear replacement for Antaeus. Side note is that the edt of Coco Noir I smelled did not have the same vibe as the edp but I did not test it on skin.
I'm glad you tested it. I think Coco Noir is an easier to wear scent than vintage Antaeus. Old school Antaeus was a beast while Coco Noir is quieter and softer. But the Antaeus DNA is definitely there!

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
LeChypreSexy, have you tried both the edp and edt. How would you compare the two, vis-à-vis each other, and compared to Antaeus?
To be honest I haven't tried the edt. I know they also make a perfume as well, but all I've tried is the edp. I sold Chanel fragrances at the time, and one night I was just fiddling with the bottles and took a sniff of Coco Noir edp and, well, other than the fact that Coco Noir is softer and not as long-lasting, to me it is largely the same (around 97%) as the Antaeus I wore many moons ago. I have different preferences in scent than I used to have, so I'd never wear Antaeus or Coco Noir, but Antaeus is an amazing fragrance and I'm glad some variation of it is still around.

Opiate

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2010
I’ll probably get my vintage fragrance lover’s membership card pulled for this… but I actually prefer modern Antaeus to vintage.
Same goes for Pour Monsieur.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
I’ll probably get my vintage fragrance lover’s membership card pulled for this… but I actually prefer modern Antaeus to vintage.
Same goes for Pour Monsieur.
I understand Antaeus has gone through several reformulations since its heyday. The one I tried quite a while ago wasn't good. That's why I was pleasantly shocked with Coco Noir edp. You can tell a difference without all that real castoreum and oakmoss. It's like IFRA is neutering all the old greats.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...