Chanel Antaeus question

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
Hello i just tested the new Antaeus, and it is very strong, i detect much patchouli, and it is very animalic on my skin. I washed my hand and it is still there, so as i said it is very strong.
On the back of the box in the ingredients list is listed : Alcohol, Water, Fragrance + ....What was written on the vintage box?
Now how much different is the vintage version, i'm only affraid if i stumble on some vintage Antaeus that could be spoiled due to bad storing or age.
Should i just buy this new formulation or?

Thanks! Best regards

southerngardens

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 24, 2012
The new formulation has a stronger longevity to it's basenotes, which I like and would buy compared to the vintage. But your question is subjective to what you like.

neal

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2006
I disagree. The original or vintage was the Antaeus I remember from the early to mid 1980's. The new version is synthetic, powdery, flowery, cloying and lacks the leather, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand. Despite the name the Sport version is not lighter or fresher. It is in fact more herbal with more weight. I like all three.

- - - Updated - - -

Grab one now ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTAEUS-POU...170875717308?pt=fragrance&hash=item27c8fc86bc

Last edited:

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
thanks neal, as i said the new one that i tested smells still pretty strong, musky, big on patchouli
do you maybe have a box of the vintage one and could you read what is written in ingredients list?

The-odor

Oct 27, 2002
and lacks the leather, animalic and natural beeswax essence that made the original so grand.
I second that. Newer Antaeus was my big disappointment. Much lighter.
Still it's quite of character if you don't know vintage. I'm not recommending the new (lots of interesting modern leathers around)
Regards, Odor.

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
does anyone have a box of antaeus from 2010-2011...i bought a new one produced in 2012 and in the ingredients list are (in this order) :
alcohol - water - fragrance - limonene - citronellol - linalool - eugenol - coumarin - hydroxycitronellal - hexylcinamal - citral - cinamyl alcohol - geraniol - benzyl benzoate - cinamal - farnesol - alpha isomethy ionone - benzyl alcohol

i saw a picture of a batch from 2010 and it had all the same ingredients, but in a different order???...does this mean it was again reformulated or?

best regards

J

jason_newton

Along with Armani Pour Homme, Antaeus seems incredibly difficult to find nowadays compared to other 80s designer scents that still seem plentiful in their original forms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question: How far back do you have to go to get a bottle of "vintage" Antaeus?

Up to 2000/2001 possibly?

Andre would know for sure but I'm sure bottles produced in the 90s would still be fine.

Boge

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 31, 2011
Does anybody use the SEARCH FUNCTION??? There are several threads that will answer all your questions. :wink:

blackened

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 10, 2010
The current formulation is lighter and a bit more synthetic but for antaeus, light is still something solid and powerful.

long live antaeus!

Latest News