Chandler Burr's Untitled Series S02E05

Lorien

Jan 25, 2008
Hello Fragrant folk.

Has anyone continued to follow the Untitled Series? I have enjoyed the experience very much. It is very intriguing to me to wear a perfume and enjoy the experience as an Ofactory Event - based only upon what I smell, without factoring in any knowledge of the name of the perfume, the name of the Nose(s) or any marketing copy which might have the potential of influencing my opinion of the fragance.

I am enjoying the new Untitled one simply called S02E05. Upon first spritz I was immediately certain I have smelled this before --- somewhere, sometime....but I'm not able to identify it. I'm not really "trying" to identify this lovely scent. Today, as I'm wearing it, I am simply enjoying the experience.

I agree with Mr. Burr's assessment/introduction, which is written on the Luckyscent site:
S02E05 has strangely fallen through the cracks. It belongs to one of the most significant collections in the world , and was created by two indisputably world-class perfumers, one of whom I think is similarly under appreciated. It is a quietly masterful work....It is a work of moderately abstracted Realism: real-world landmarks painted in meditative strokes of spices and woods. I would say it is lush, but that description implies an overt sexual languor, a purple-esque tropicality entirely absent here. E05 has no edginess. The other way to put this is that it’s a welcome relief from edgy. The work is elegant, and it is warm.

Anyone else wearing S02E05?

Rincoglionita

Oct 9, 2014
I just got mine today. As a fragrance novice, I'm surprised to recognize this one right off the bat. In fact, there's a bottle of it on my vanity. I discovered it in Europe in the early 1990s, when I was in my twenties, and I fell in love with it. One of my first fragrance splurges. My interest n it has changed over the years, but I still wear it at least a few times a year. Guerlain Samsara.

Lorien

Jan 25, 2008
Gracious! I think you are correct....
I just knew I had smelled S02E05 sometime, somewhere. I am a huge fan of Guerlain and own many of their classic fragrances.
Still - I'm enjoying wearing this and I probably would not have worn it as happily or as often if I had known what it is/was.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
If this is correct, Chandler's description seems to apply, except for "quietly" and "meditative"...

cacio

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
I just got mine today. As a fragrance novice, I'm surprised to recognize this one right off the bat. In fact, there's a bottle of it on my vanity. I discovered it in Europe in the early 1990s, when I was in my twenties, and I fell in love with it. One of my first fragrance splurges. My interest n it has changed over the years, but I still wear it at least a few times a year. Guerlain Samsara.

Congratulations on your solution! And Welcome to Basenotes!

Riallus

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 19, 2014
Thank you! I've been exploring the forum for the last half hour or so, and I feel like I've fallen down a most enchanting, and expensive, rabbit hole!

Yeah, I've spent more money in the past two months of joining Basenotes on perfume than all my years before combined. But it's been a delightfully scented journey :)

Lorien

Jan 25, 2008
Yeah, I've spent more money in the past two months of joining Basenotes on perfume than all my years before combined. But it's been a delightfully scented journey :)
I hear you. I stumbled across Basenotes many years ago and it was one of the most enlightening, exciting discoveries I've had in ages. Finding there were other "Perfume obsessed" folks in the world was very empowering. For the longest time...I simply thought it was my unusual fascination with all things scented.

I don't post much here, but I read every new thread and post each day...

I've met wonderful Fragrant Friends and have spent more money than I care to think about. But.......I have a fabulous collection of some goegeous perfumes which enhance my life on a daily basis. What's not to love?? <3

Lorien

Jan 25, 2008
I was not aware that Samsara was created by two perfumers?
I know....that surprised me, also.
I found this information on Boisdejasmin.com in a 5-star review of Samsara:

"...While Gérard Anthony was Samsara’s co-author, a fact that Guerlain does not hide, Samsara owes a lot to Jean-Paul’s sensual aesthetic."

ErinK

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 6, 2013
I ordered S02E05 yesterday and will will hopefully have it next week.

I was not aware that Samsara was created by two perfumers?

Mike, this was my thought exactly. I recently picked up a Samsara vintage mini and nothing in the reading I've done on it mentions 2 perfumers. After reading Lorien's mention of Gerard Anthony I did some searching and came across the following on a Fragrantica board, which is very much in line with Burr's comments on S02E05: (http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=76384)

The fragrance that both got Guerlain back on the map and ultimately destroyed Jean-Paul's career, Samsara was a sensation when it came out. A strong stony sandalwood fragrance with a beautiful and sensual jasmine, Samsara is at once striking and extremely smooth. It had the strength and character that defined other big fragrances of the 80s but, unlike the others, did not wear like a giant neon sign that said "PERFUME."

The following is from an NST review of a 2010 Perfume Diaries event at Harrods with Wasser & JPG: (http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/09/1...hierry-wasser-at-the-perfume-diaries-harrods/)

Greatest achievement?
[JPG] “I don’t know! I started with Vetiver, 51-52 years ago, and it’s still the most important men’s fragrance of the house. Samsara is the most important fragrance I created, even if it’s not the best seller.”

hollydebra

Nov 23, 2013
As soon as I smelled it, I knew I had worn it years ago. At first I thought Bijon. Then I read the spoilers..Samsara! Memories of NYC in the late 80s when i thought it was the most beautiful fragrance ever. Today, as gorgeous as ever. Even though the mystery was solved so early, I appreciate having this precious gem again.

Latest News