Caron reformulations

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020
I'm a Caron addict and have bottles of EdP of Parfum Sacre, N'aimez que Moi, and Rose. But I'm about to run out and don't know which reformulations - if any - smell anything like the originals. We don't live anywhere the sort of store that would have Caron testers, and I've know that many of the older perfume ingredients are now banned. Should I stock up on any old bottles I can find, which are SO expensive for a pensioner, or try the newer versions?Help wanted please!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I hear you about the expense of vintage Carons, but they really are so much better than current formulations, and in some cases different enough that the names ought to be changed. I haven't smelled the most recent versions of the ones you mentioned, but I have several EdPs from about 2014 and, of those, Narcisse Blanc struck me as pretty good. Classics like Tabac Blond, Farnesiana, Acaciosa and French Cancan did not fare well.

I'm trying not to be too much of a snob about it, because any Caron is still better than none, but comparisons within this house really are odious. As a Caron lover, you'd probably be better off buying some of the 7.5ml minis of classic extraits that are plentiful on eBay and Etsy. Caron came out with gift sets of those minis in the 1980s, several to a box, and most of of the sets have been broken up for sale as individual bottles. I've seen those vintage mini extraits sell for as low as $60 (US) and as high as $130 - still very good prices, compared with what you'd spend on larger bottles of current versions.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
If you really love the Caron perfumes that you have, and have almost used up, then I think your best option is to shop for replacement bottles in the same packaging on Ebay. With Caron, it’s more than likely that a different-looking bottle may smell different. And as Bonnette has said, some of the Caron reformulations can be truly disappointing.

Caron is still selling a version of Parfum Sacre (1991) and N’Aimez que Moi (1911), but Rose (1949) appears to be discontinued. I would love to test the current Caron line myself but there seems to be no way to do it without making a trip to Europe.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I would love to test the current Caron line myself but there seems to be no way to do it without making a trip to Europe.

Same here. Caron fled Canada decades ago. I was a major user and loved their scents. I also went occasionally to their New York locations. I would be very open to retrying their perfumes but they don’t seem to have much interest in North American sales.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
The thing I've noticed about Caron, even more than Guerlain, is that their modern formulations retain an elegance, a nobility, an orderly structure, even when they bear little resemblance to vintage Caron classics (and the newest creations, while fleeting and two-dimensional, follow that pattern). If resemblance to vintage formulations is the metric, they fail; but most of them are beautiful, nevertheless. So it's easy to sit on the fence with this house, and have a hard time deciding which versions to buy.

I went on a big Caron binge several years ago, buying many contemporary versions of classics, as well as a few newer creations. They were all lovely, though some of them smelled almost nothing like their ancestors, and a few even smelled alike (reverting to the base). But I can't hate on them, even so.

It's true that Caron seems to be disregarding the North American markets, which is hard to understand. I bought all of my Caron-binge bottles from eBay sellers who imported them. Some good prices can be found that way, but Caron is really missing the boat.

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020
I hear you about the expense of vintage Carons, but they really are so much better than current formulations, and in some cases different enough that the names ought to be changed. I haven't smelled the most recent versions of the ones you mentioned, but I have several EdPs from about 2014 and, of those, Narcisse Blanc struck me as pretty good. Classics like Tabac Blond, Farnesiana, Acaciosa and French Cancan did not fare well.

I'm trying not to be too much of a snob about it, because any Caron is still better than none, but comparisons within this house really are odious. As a Caron lover, you'd probably be better off buying some of the 7.5ml minis of classic extraits that are plentiful on eBay and Etsy. Caron came out with gift sets of those minis in the 1980s, several to a box, and most of of the sets have been broken up for sale as individual bottles. I've seen those vintage mini extraits sell for as low as $60 (US) and as high as $130 - still very good prices, compared with what you'd spend on larger bottles of current versions.
I'm a Caron addict and have bottles of EdP of Parfum Sacre, N'aimez que Moi, and Rose. But I'm about to run out and don't know which reformulations - if any - smell anything like the originals. We don't live anywhere the sort of store that would have Caron testers, and I've know that many of the older perfume ingredients are now banned. Should I stock up on any old bottles I can find, which are SO expensive for a pensioner, or try the newer versions?Help wanted please!
Thank you, I have seen a couple of those on eBay but didn't know whether they would be genuine. Worth having a go, though.

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020
If you really love the Caron perfumes that you have, and have almost used up, then I think your best option is to shop for replacement bottles in the same packaging on Ebay. With Caron, it’s more than likely that a different-looking bottle may smell different. And as Bonnette has said, some of the Caron reformulations can be truly disappointing.

Caron is still selling a version of Parfum Sacre (1991) and N’Aimez que Moi (1911), but Rose (1949) appears to be discontinued. I would love to test the current Caron line myself but there seems to be no way to do it without making a trip to Europe.
I have seen Rose advertised for a very high price, but there is no way of telling how genuine it is. And at more than £160 a bottle, I would like to be sure I'm getting the real thing (yes, I would pay for that!).

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Thank you, I have seen a couple of those on eBay but didn't know whether they would be genuine. Worth having a go, though.
I have a great many of them, and not a bad one in the bunch. So, definitely - worth having a go!

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020

I'm in the UK, so closer to Caronland than you, but it's not that easy to travel these days, with all the airline restrictions and cancellations. I will have to take my chances on eBay.

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020
The thing I've noticed about Caron, even more than Guerlain, is that their modern formulations retain an elegance, a nobility, an orderly structure, even when they bear little resemblance to vintage Caron classics (and the newest creations, while fleeting and two-dimensional, follow that pattern). If resemblance to vintage formulations is the metric, they fail; but most of them are beautiful, nevertheless. So it's easy to sit on the fence with this house, and have a hard time deciding which versions to buy.

I went on a big Caron binge several years ago, buying many contemporary versions of classics, as well as a few newer creations. They were all lovely, though some of them smelled almost nothing like their ancestors, and a few even smelled alike (reverting to the base). But I can't hate on them, even so.

It's true that Caron seems to be disregarding the North American markets, which is hard to understand. I bought all of my Caron-binge bottles from eBay sellers who imported them. Some good prices can be found that way, but Caron is really missing the boat.
It's so true that Caron is disregarding the North American market - I have a daughter in the US who has to come back to Europe when she wants to stock up. But even here it seems the House of Caron is determined to make its perfumes really hard to get!
By the way, I love your description of the newer formulations - you have made me more curious to try them.

pinklady

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2020
I have just seen a FB of the original Caron Rose on Etsy - at almost £1000! I am horrified, but also quite pleased because it's so far out of my reach that I don't have to think about it. Meanwhile, have ordered some rosy samples from Les Senteurs, so hoping to find something new that is beautiful and interesting.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I have just seen a FB of the original Caron Rose on Etsy - at almost £1000! I am horrified, but also quite pleased because it's so far out of my reach that I don't have to think about it. Meanwhile, have ordered some rosy samples from Les Senteurs, so hoping to find something new that is beautiful and interesting.
Whoa! If you keep searching and can't find it for a lot less than that, I'd say go for the current version and never look back.

Adonna

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 20, 2010
Caron is such an amazing House.
Parfum Sacré is like a sweet silent prayer in an empty church.
It has a sweet sacredness for me.
Each offering is amazing.
I know it's not the same as it was but it's still worth it for me.
I have inherited older bottles, and the first time I really smelled them I was stunned.
Sadly those fixatives and etc's are just not in the game anymore........
With this community and online offerings, I'm sure you will be able to find something to satisfy you.
a~~

Bal a Versailles

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2012
I bought a Perfume Sacre EDP about four years ago. It's just a little harsh, but overall, I thought it was better to have it than not.

MissM2U

Basenotes Member
Jun 18, 2017
I find this thread strangely encouraging. A few years ago, I spent a few months searching for vintage Caron. Some for myself and mostly with a plan to sell decants on eBay. I haven't broken any of the original seals and have been keeping the boxes in the dark.

I've tried a few new Caron's and a reformulation or two, and, honestly, I think they're all pretty unwearable on their own merit (or lack thereof). So it looks like there is actually a market for old Caron. Guess I should start making serious plans to launch my decants project.

MissM2U

Basenotes Member
Jun 18, 2017
I find this thread strangely encouraging. A few years ago, I spent a few months searching for vintage Caron. Some for myself and mostly with a plan to sell decants on eBay. I haven't broken any of the original seals and have been keeping the boxes in the dark.

I've tried a few new Caron's and a reformulation or two, and, honestly, I think they're all pretty unwearable on their own merit (or lack thereof). So it looks like there is actually a market for old Caron. Guess I should start making serious plans to launch my decants project.
And, btw, I plan to keep the prices low. I think what some sellers are asking is just ridiculous.

Bal a Versailles

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 15, 2012
I bought a Perfume Sacre EDP about four years ago. It's just a little harsh, but overall, I thought it was better to have it than not.
Forgot that I also have the 40 Ml (?)canister bottle of Aimez Moi from about ten years ago. It is very nice. Bois de Jasmin wrote a detailed review of the reformulations that is worth checking out.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...