Card Holder vs. Bifold Wallet

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Since I bought this Smythson in the summer the LV’s have been sat in the drawer. Reminds me I need to switch them out.

93d21140056158dcd2a960a4b2e0be73.jpg

1ba0054ddbb637d2bf05b7662f11b068.jpg

Is that genuine crocodile, or embossed calf?

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I’m pretty sure it’s embossed calf

Well, it looks sharp either way. When you bring the Louis Vuitton pieces back into rotation, I'd like to see them on here if you wouldn't mind sharing. :smiley:

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
Well, it looks sharp either way. When you bring the Louis Vuitton pieces back into rotation, I'd like to see them on here if you wouldn't mind sharing. :smiley:

Actually after reading this thread that’s exactly what I did. Bought this at the LV boutique in St.Petersburg many years ago and it’s still like it’s brand new :)

48c418061e40d7c36c7235ef416502f3.jpg

62f5ca5c6911c2811443aad3ae2b380b.jpg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Actually after reading this thread that’s exactly what I did. Bought this at the LV boutique in St.Petersburg many years ago and it’s still like it’s brand new :)

What a lovely, sophisticated piece. :thumbsup:

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

That looks great. I prattled on about earlier in this thread, but I have to say the pricey leather goods are a worthwhile purchase.

I bought a Ferragamo wallet 15 years ago and it looks like new. It's crazy. No wear whatsoever and use it everyday.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I also don't appreciate how thick card holders are. However, I do prefer those extra slim ones over bifold leather wallets. I only carry a few bills with me, two cards, and two different IDs.

For me, bifolds tend to be much thicker than card holders. I do not stuff card holders full of cards; generally one card per slot gets the job done.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I picked up a new Berluti wallet last weekend. It's called a card holder, but it's really something in between a bifold and a cardholder. It actually holds a surprising amount of cards and cash. At the moment I have 10 banknotes folded in half and tucked into the side pocket, adding almost no bulk. Love that the wallet slips easily into a breast pocket or a pair of jeans, unlike my larger Bottega Veneta bifold. I think this is a classier look than an open cardholder and the patina of the leather is the nicest I've ever seen. I'd love to pick up a pair of their shoes one day as well. Here is the exact model:

View attachment 150044

View attachment 150045

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Wow, that is gorgeous. The patina, yes! It's like rich melting caramel. Elegant and eminently practical wallet.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I picked up a new Berluti wallet last weekend. It's called a card holder, but it's really something in between a bifold and a cardholder. It actually holds a surprising amount of cards and cash. At the moment I have 10 banknotes folded in half and tucked into the side pocket, adding almost no bulk. Love that the wallet slips easily into a breast pocket or a pair of jeans, unlike my larger Bottega Veneta bifold. I think this is a classier look than an open cardholder and the patina of the leather is the nicest I've ever seen. I'd love to pick up a pair of their shoes one day as well. Here is the exact model:

View attachment 150044

View attachment 150045

Where do you put the cash?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

View attachment 150044

View attachment 150045
Very nice! You went for quality!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Here's a little cardholder I've been using a lot lately. I have a Montblanc belt and ballpoint pen, too, so it's fun when my EDC accessories match. I happen to love Montblanc's leathers more than other brands 2x the price or more - particularly the glossy, smooth "meisterstuck" line. It's very minimalist, but for daily use while not traveling, it holds more than enough.

w681.jpg

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Gorgeous. I really like minimalist accessories when they're made with materials and workmanship that speak for themselves, which is certainly true of this card holder. It looks buttery-smooth, but firm enough to protect cards from bends and tears.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I've sold off my bigger BV wallet as I simply haven't had the need to use cash lately and it just has become more and more impractical. And gave my BV cardholder in the OP to my girlfriend for her to use in a clutch or smaller purse. Lately, I've been using this little cardholder/wallet. I can't wait for it to age, as the leather gets so soft and shiny.

Large-592619VCPQ48803_A.jpg
Large-592619VCPQ48803_E.jpg

Latest News