Card Holder vs. Bifold Wallet

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
There is a similar thread on reddit, but I'm curious to hear what you guys carry daily. I just got this Bottega Veneta card holder which I am really loving. I personally find card holders more suitable for everyday use because it forces you to trim down to the essentials. After all, do you really need to be walking around with 10 credit cards and a bunch of old receipts? They look elegant and can slip into your pockets easily, adding minimal bulk.

card holder.jpg

I find that a more traditional bifold wallet makes more of a style statement and is practical for when you need more capacity, but can be difficult to carry around due to the added bulk. I've had this Bottega Veneta for roughly two years, and find the quality to be exceptional, which is why I opted for the card holder that I did. Something like this is, IMO, is better for traveling or times where you need to carry more cash.

wallet 1.jpg

View attachment 134668

So what do you prefer for daily use: wallet or card holder? And why?

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
That is a really sharp looking card holder, ditto the wallet. Personally, I favor bifold wallets because wallets fit nicely into the pack I wear when I go out, and I like having everything handy - there have been so many times when I didn't think I needed this, that or the other card or paperwork, only to find out it was the one thing required for whatever I wanted to do.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Very beautiful cardholder! I like Bottega Veneta wallets/cardholders as well.

I usually carry both-a cardholder for cards and a doublefold for cash-I guess back from when one was always afraid of pickpocketing or loss of one-at least one would be left with the other.

But I agree with you that in most circumstances a cardholder is more than enough. A couple of cards, driver license, and a little cash in the middle.

cacio

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
As a an older guy, I have lots of cards I need to carry so use a conventional wallet.

But, this is one of the few purchases I can't gush enough about.

About 20 years ago, an SA in Nieman Marcus convinced to buy a very pricey Salvadore Ferragamo wallet. It's brown leather with a sort of stamped grain treatment. I was aghast at the cost. My girlfriend at the time convinced I should do it.

Something about this stamped grain treatment seems to help the wallet wear better I think.

Have used this every day for years and it shows no wear whatsoever. Nothing faded. Nothing worn. No creases. It's amazing. It's insane.

It was outrageously priced as I recall but over 20 years later looks like I just bought it last week.

Def a case of where a pricey designer good was more than worth the extra expense. I don't think I have ever bought anything I'd gush more about than this wallet.

Last edited:

Zizzy

Jan 7, 2019
Card holder for me - we don't use cash in Sweden, so all you need is a few plastic cards in your pocket

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
It was outrageously priced as I recall but over 20 years later looks like I just bought it last week.

20 years is insane. The leather on my wallet has softened, but IMO it looks even better slightly used and there are no other signs of wear. The stitching is perfect and the weave remains tightly in place. I would say that Ferragamo prices are more than reasonable if they last that long and still look great.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
I have several wallets, but the one I carry is a Secrid "slim wallet". It holds ~6 cards (drivers lic, debit card, credit card x2, lic to carry, insurance card) plus cash. The cards "fan out" when you move the lever on the bottom.
SlimWallet.jpeg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I guess it's what I've always went with because my dad always used one. But nowadays even he uses a bifold.

I grew up using bifold so it's only natural to me. I used to carry around the same cheap leather wallet through all of middle and high school basically. It came in black but the "genuine leather" had started to turn green. I guess after I graduated, when I bought my first "nice" wallet, a Montblanc, was when I started appreciating high quality wallets and leathers. Some time in the last few years I started using simple card holders and rotating between card holders and bifolds.

I have a trifold that I hang on to because my girlfriend got me it as a gift. It has gotten some use, I just don't care for trifolds.

Maxtesti

Feb 18, 2018
I switched to a cardholder maybe six months ago. It was on sale at Timberland - I think I paid £15 for it. I've no missed the wallet. On contactless payments I don't even have to take the card out - I put the card I want to use in front and just wave over the reader.

holder01.jpg holder02.jpg

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
Neither, phone-wallet-case thing. The argument is "if you lose it you lose everything". I've lost/forgetten wallets a lot. In the 8 years i've implemented the "phonecasewallet" i've only once lost my phone and that was due to a snow storm so i never heard it fall.

Just enough space to fit the amex rewards card, backup visa debit, and ID. I like to streamline things and this enables me to only have to worry about having keys & phone before i leave the house... well mask now too considering the times.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-15-at-14-25-01.png

Cheetah1919

Mar 16, 2016
Neither, phone-wallet-case thing. The argument is "if you lose it you lose everything". I've lost/forgetten wallets a lot. In the 8 years i've implemented the "phonecasewallet" i've only once lost my phone and that was due to a snow storm so i never heard it fall.

Just enough space to fit the amex rewards card, backup visa debit, and ID. I like to streamline things and this enables me to only have to worry about having keys & phone before i leave the house... well mask now too considering the times.

I’ve got almost this same thing, and it’s great! What brand is yours?

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

Wouldn't work for me, but it's quite sleek!

- - - Updated - - -

Dango A10 - I love this thing!
115e95c10a3fd5ed8f41031bcc4a73c4.jpg

Interesting. That looks quite futuristic.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
My dad is the same way, He's got his license, main credit card, business credit card, some other identification, a costco membership card and the necessity to always have $200 cash on him. His wallet is about as thick as my wrist and it drives me nuts lol

I like to keep it slim, but I do like to have a few different forms of payment in case one card doesn't work for whatever reason (has never happened yet and probably won't, but you never know). I also appreciate carrying a stylish, fine leather accessory, whether it be a traditional wallet or a card holder.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I like to keep it slim, but I do like to have a few different forms of payment in case one card doesn't work for whatever reason (has never happened yet and probably won't, but you never know). I also appreciate carrying a stylish, fine leather accessory, whether it be a traditional wallet or a card holder.

I’m really liking my A10 wallet. Check it out here:

https://everydaycarry.com/posts/40179/dango-a10-adapt-wallet

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
It is cool, but I too would prefer a more classic brown leather.

Any brown leather bifolds you are looking at to replace your trifold? Bellroy supposedly makes some good quality wallets at a reasonable price. One of my brothers got one recently and is quite happy with it.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Any brown leather bifolds you are looking at to replace your trifold? Bellroy supposedly makes some good quality wallets at a reasonable price. One of my brothers got one recently and is quite happy with it.

I haven't really been looking. Sometimes at TJ Maxx, I'll check their selection. But I'm looking for real leather, not genuine.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah. Duluth Trading Co. has a couple full grain leather bifolds I have my eyes on.

My dad has one from Duluth, but it's the firehose wallet (not leather). I'm not sure if he still uses it regularly. They are known for making durable goods, so the wallet you're considering might be a nice option. I have no experience with the brand yet but might pick up a pair of jeans or something.

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
Hmmm - a lot of minimalists around here.

In my wallet I carry,
My three main credit cards - to earn reward points on purchases
Two debit/EFTPOS cards - for cash advances and where there are credit card fees on purchases (e.g. Aldi)
Medibank card (universal health care card).
Private Health Insurance card
Drivers Licence.
Costco card.
Two supermarket rewards cards.
Public Transport card.
Plus several hundred dollars in cash.

In Australia I carry my wallet in my back pocket.

In Europe I carry a larger wallet in my side pocket - carrying different credit cards, and doing without the cards that are useless there.
Regards,
Renato

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Hmmm - a lot of minimalists around here.

In my wallet I carry,
My three main credit cards - to earn reward points on purchases
Two debit/EFTPOS cards - for cash advances and where there are credit card fees on purchases (e.g. Aldi)
Medibank card (universal health care card).
Private Health Insurance card
Drivers Licence.
Costco card.
Two supermarket rewards cards.
Public Transport card.
Plus several hundred dollars in cash.

In Australia I carry my wallet in my back pocket.

In Europe I carry a larger wallet in my side pocket - carrying different credit cards, and doing without the cards that are useless there.
Regards,
Renato

Any reason in particular you carry so much cash?

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
Any reason in particular you carry so much cash?

Cash is still required or useful for many things - Farmer's markets, street stalls, where fees are charged for card usage, black market stuff, discounts for cash payments and as a gift or reward.

I also left out my other invaluable thing in my wallet - a credit card sized 3X magnifier.
Lately I find the ingredients and instructions on jars and packaging of food stuffs are really tiny and written with colours that don't contrast enough. The magnifier is very helpful.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
Since I bought this Smythson in the summer the LV’s have been sat in the drawer. Reminds me I need to switch them out.

93d21140056158dcd2a960a4b2e0be73.jpg

1ba0054ddbb637d2bf05b7662f11b068.jpg

Latest News